PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the cheapest cell and plan possible

ZepSinger
05-19-2006, 06:51 PM
And here's why. Mrs. Zep and I have killer Sprint dealer plans on both our cellphones, and are thinking about doing away with the landline altogether. But- we'd like to have an absolute dirt-cheap cell phone here for emergency use ONLY for the kids. It would literally never be used unless it was an emergency.

I know about the Trac-Phone, pre-pay phones, etc. But all of them have minutes that expire every 60 days or so. Is there one where you would buy the phone, and then strictly pay by the minute(no expiration of minutes)?

I know, probably not, but I thought I'd turn to my CP brethren before giving up on this notion...

Z

SLAG
05-19-2006, 07:09 PM
And here's why. Mrs. Zep and I have killer Sprint dealer plans on both our cellphones, and are thinking about doing away with the landline altogether. But- we'd like to have an absolute dirt-cheap cell phone here for emergency use ONLY for the kids. It would literally never be used unless it was an emergency.

I know about the Trac-Phone, pre-pay phones, etc. But all of them have minutes that expire every 60 days or so. Is there one where you would buy the phone, and then strictly pay by the minute(no expiration of minutes)?

I know, probably not, but I thought I'd turn to my CP brethren before giving up on this notion...

Z

you could buy any prepaid phone.... and just not activate it til you need it.... have it charged but not activated..... or just make sure you make one call every 60 days on it...

ZepSinger
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
you could buy any prepaid phone.... and just not activate it til you need it.... have it charged but not activated..... or just make sure you make one call every 60 days on it...

But don't you have to buy more minutes at the end of that 60 days whether you ever use the phone or not? That was my assumption...

Boozer
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Depending on your definition of emergency, you don't need a plan. All cell phones should be able to access 911, IIRC.

ZepSinger
05-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Depending on your definition of emergency, you don't need a plan. All cell phones should be able to access 911, IIRC.

I suppose my definition is that they can call one of us, besides of course 911....

SLAG
05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
But don't you have to buy more minutes at the end of that 60 days whether you ever use the phone or not? That was my assumption...

Honestly I'm Not sure, the only prepaid company other than Boost Mobile I am Familer with is Virgin Mobie, They require $20 added every 90 days.

Not sure about everyone else

Phobia
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Can't you add another phone to your sprint account for a couple bucks?

Chiefsrocker
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
My wife and I both use Tracfones. They work really well, and as long as you keep minutes on the phone, or make calls, the expiration date keeps extending out. 60 min. cards are about $20. Every once in a while, just make a call on the phone and everything will be OK! My brother is doing the same thing in Florida. Only uses his landline for a fax machine. everything else is wireless for his house. It works out quite well for him!

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
http://www.fireflymobile.com/

ZepSinger
05-21-2006, 06:57 AM
My wife and I both use Tracfones. They work really well, and as long as you keep minutes on the phone, or make calls, the expiration date keeps extending out. 60 min. cards are about $20. Every once in a while, just make a call on the phone and everything will be OK! My brother is doing the same thing in Florida. Only uses his landline for a fax machine. everything else is wireless for his house. It works out quite well for him!

OK, there's where I misunderstood. I saw the expiration date and assumed that no matter what, you have to keep buying more time every 60 days.

With this new information in mind, I will be getting a Trac-fone and just making a 30-second call once a month to keep the account current. Thanks to all for the info!

Z

recxjake
05-21-2006, 08:55 PM
i don't remember where i saw it, but there is a company that goes by the minute, like land line phones... i think its a new company

memyselfI
05-22-2006, 05:20 AM
My 14 year old has a Tmobile pay as you go phone. The phone and some (can't remember how many 15-30) minutes were less than $40.00. At Tmobile if you buy $100.00 minutes then you qualify for 'gold card' status. Meaning, your minutes will cost .10 a minute and they are good for one year. No need to refill or add until they are used up.

Fair warning. My friends with daughters have NOT had good luck with the pay as you go plans. Girls seem to like talking and text messaging more than boys do and so this is not economical for them.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3766509