PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a fire-safe

Simplex3
05-19-2006, 07:28 PM
So I bought a fire safe and I'm thinking I'd bolt it to the basement floor. Of course after I finally got it down here (one slightly strained bicep later) I'm thinking if they want whatever is in it bad enough to carry it up the stairs they deserve to have it.

So I buy one last night and bring it home. I'm putting things in it and notice there seems to be some play in the door. So I think to myself "self, how the f**k is this going to keep water out?" So myself checks the Internet only to discover that the model self bought does not keep water out. Now, one might say to one's self "who cares, it's a fire safe."

However, one's self should ask themself one question. What the f**k do they put fires out WITH? So I guess I'm supposed to stand around out in front of my house when the fire trucks show up and yell "NO!!! Don't spray my house with water it'll ruin my stuff!!!"

Note to fire safe mfg's: Fire departments around the country still use water in hoses to put out fires. Any safe that is going to keep documents safe in a fire will need to be at least water-resistant. Boobs.

Brock
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Ha-haaa.

Skip Towne
05-19-2006, 07:36 PM
So I bought a fire safe and I'm thinking I'd bolt it to the basement floor. Of course after I finally got it down here (one slightly strained bicep later) I'm thinking if they want whatever is in it bad enough to carry it up the stairs they deserve to have it.

So I buy one last night and bring it home. I'm putting things in it and notice there seems to be some play in the door. So I think to myself "self, how the f**k is this going to keep water out?" So myself checks the Internet only to discover that the model self bought does not keep water out. Now, one might say to one's self "who cares, it's a fire safe."

However, one's self should ask themself one question. What the f**k do they put fires out WITH? So I guess I'm supposed to stand around out in front of my house when the fire trucks show up and yell "NO!!! Don't spray my house with water it'll ruin my stuff!!!"

Note to fire safe mfg's: Fire departments around the country still use water in hoses to put out fires. Any safe that is going to keep documents safe in a fire will need to be at least water-resistant. Boobs.
You're not very smart are you self?

Valiant
05-19-2006, 07:38 PM
It might not be waterproof, but is it water resistant???

blueballs
05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
fire-safe
n00b

Adept Havelock
05-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Depending on it's size, buy a smaller waterproof safe to put inside the fireproof one. Put your stuff inside of it.

http://www.nextag.com/waterproof-safes/search-html

Simplex3
05-19-2006, 09:59 PM
So I bought one that is water-resistant and fireproof. It's the one I had down here when I started this thread. I open the box. Some jackweed had dropped it, probably off of a building. So I drag it back up the stairs and to the trunk of the car.

Head on up to Lowe's to exchange it for one that hasn't been pre-dented. Go back to get the new one. Of the two that are left one is pre-dented and the other looks Ok. The keypad is a little scuffed up, though, so I have the guy get some batteries so I can make sure it works. Lights come on, keys beep, looks good. Except for one little problem: the sticker with the combination on it is gone. So the Lowe's guy looks around, then looks at me, then says "WTF? I have three useless safes and every one of them has been put back on the shelf?"

So he checks the computer for the nearest store, it opened three or four weeks ago. I'm thinking "Hey, this is MY store. They haven't had time to bust their safes up yet!". It's late, so I confirm the other store is open until 10, he checks the computer which tell us they are. So I drive nearly 30 minutes to get there to find...

They close at 9. So here I sit, no safe in hand. I'll get to drive to the Olathe Lowe's tomorrow to peruse their selection of bent up safes.

BIG K
05-19-2006, 11:01 PM
So I bought one that is water-resistant and fireproof. It's the one I had down here when I started this thread. I open the box. Some jackweed had dropped it, probably off of a building. So I drag it back up the stairs and to the trunk of the car.

Head on up to Lowe's to exchange it for one that hasn't been pre-dented. Go back to get the new one. Of the two that are left one is pre-dented and the other looks Ok. The keypad is a little scuffed up, though, so I have the guy get some batteries so I can make sure it works. Lights come on, keys beep, looks good. Except for one little problem: the sticker with the combination on it is gone. So the Lowe's guy looks around, then looks at me, then says "WTF? I have three useless safes and every one of them has been put back on the shelf?"

So he checks the computer for the nearest store, it opened three or four weeks ago. I'm thinking "Hey, this is MY store. They haven't had time to bust their safes up yet!". It's late, so I confirm the other store is open until 10, he checks the computer which tell us they are. So I drive nearly 30 minutes to get there to find...

They close at 9. So here I sit, no safe in hand. I'll get to drive to the Olathe Lowe's tomorrow to peruse their selection of bent up safes.

Why are you going to a hardware store to buy a safe? Ceiling fan, lattice, even some drip line I can understand. Go to a gun store....They usually have some pretty awesome safes....

Simplex3
05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Why are you going to a hardware store to buy a safe? Ceiling fan, lattice, even some drip line I can understand. Go to a gun store....They usually have some pretty awesome safes....
If I could just get a fireproof/water resistant box I'd be cool. I don't need the "safe" aspect of it. It's just my will and some other docs that I can't lose but can't leave in the bank safe-deposit box.

BIG K
05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
If I could just get a fireproof/water resistant box I'd be cool. I don't need the "safe" aspect of it. It's just my will and some other docs that I can't lose but can't leave in the bank safe-deposit box.

There are ton's of smaller 'safe's' that are fire/water proof out there. I am just saying that you might be looking in the wrong place. If those 'doc's are that important to you, or your family, spend a little extra so you don't have to worry...