PDA

View Full Version : Was it time for Al Saunders to move on?

blueballs
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
rehash-
Saunders had a strained relationship with Larry Johnson the Chiefs future. Trent Green was frustrated that he did not have the option to audible plays in the huddle. And it looks like Solari fits more into Edwards' plans as a offensive coordinator.

jlscorpio
05-21-2006, 11:48 AM
yesssss! we get to beat this to death some more!!!

blueballs
05-21-2006, 11:50 AM
yet you could not
resist the reply
and keep the thread alive
BRILLIANT!

blueballs
05-21-2006, 11:57 AM

StcChief
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Al's work was done. He installed perfected the O system in KC. Time for a handoff. Wasn't gonna be HC with his
issues with King Carl and LJ etc.

JBucc
05-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Why do you
type like
the crippled guy
on malcom in the middle?

dj56dt58
05-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Al's work was done. He installed perfected the O system in KC. Time for a handoff. Wasn't gonna be HC with his
issues with King Carl and LJ etc.
Exactly. Saunders wouldn't be happy staying in kc as the Offensive Coordinator anyway. He thought it was his turn to be head coach, but the Chiefs are moving more towards a defensive direction, and it only makes sense to have a defensive minded head coach.

chiefsfaninNC
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Who is Al Saunders?

KC_John
05-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Al who?

FloridaMan88
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
rehash-
Saunders had a strained relationship with Larry Johnson the Chiefs future.

Not according to the recent ESPN Magazine article on LJ. Al Saunders dedicated himself last offseason to mending his relationship with LJ. He met with LJ's parents to figure out ways to better communicate/improve his relationship with LJ.

CupidStunt
05-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Saunders can suck a $2M nut.

htismaqe
05-21-2006, 02:36 PM
It wasn't just the Chiefs. Nobody wanted to give Al a head coaching job.

He's burned alot of bridges in the NFL.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM

He's burned alot of bridges in the NFL.

you just hit the nail on the head. There is something deeper there that may never be made fully public about why Saunders didnt get a head coaching job. Its pretty telling when he gets passed over by so many unproven rookie head coaches in a league that loves to recycle head coaches.

jspchief
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM

He's burned alot of bridges in the NFL.Yea, I think there is an assumption from some fans that we could have kept him as OC.

I don't think that's the case. I think he may have have been promised the HC job at some point, and then the Chiefs renegged. I think that created a rift with the Chiefs that made it impossible to keep him without making him the HC.

So my answer would be, I'm not glad to see him vacate the OC position, but I am glad he's not our head coach.

Katie
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Al became too predictable in the last year or two...it wasn't hard for opposing teams to figure out what plays we were going to run...

His scheme worked well the first few years because it was complicated and new...but he tried to get too cute in the last couple of years, which most teams figured out...time to move on.