PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember?

Over-Head
05-22-2006, 05:45 AM
The Decline Of The Western Civilization Part 2: The metal years
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=13019

Does anyone else even remember this movie.?

I was just watching something on tv a second a go and they had Brent Muscat (Faster Pussycat) and Bret Michales (Poison) talking about the "first" movie they were ever in.
I can’t remember seeing these two, but I do remember one group (later found out it was "London") who kept saying "Were going to make it" and when asked what they would do if they didn’t, all they kept saying was "But were going to"
And the only other part I can clearly recall is Chris Holmes (W.A.S.P) loaded, in a pool on top of an air mattress pouring a bottle of Vodka over himself every time he tried to take a drink.

Ring any bells?

chagrin
05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
I have seen it and I know every part you are tlaking about. London also became D'Priest later, after Nadir, the singer.

That scene with Chris Holmes is fuggin hilarious. His mom's just sitting there like "what can I do?"

jlscorpio
05-22-2006, 06:54 AM
I had the soundtrack, cool Motorhead and Armoured Saint songs

jspchief
05-22-2006, 07:38 AM
That movie was on one of the VH1/MTV channels yesterday as part of their metal weekend.

I can't believe how incredibly stupid that entire era looks.

80s hair bands are the equivalent to 70s disco. I think it will always be looked back on as a bit of a joke.

chagrin
05-22-2006, 07:47 AM
That movie was on one of the VH1/MTV channels yesterday as part of their metal weekend.

80s hair bands are the equivalent to 70s disco. I think it will always be looked back on as a bit of a joke.

even though there were some really good musicians to come out of it, I have to agree with you.

That scene over-head is posting about, Brent Muscat came off as incredibly ghey, he was talkking about people taking his scraves and he was compaining about how much his makeup and clothing costs, totally fuggin ghey.

MOhillbilly
05-22-2006, 07:48 AM

its already retrocool the pool hall i hang at has metal show and you see kids and burnouts alike.

htismaqe
05-22-2006, 07:58 AM
I actually watched "SuperGroup" on VH1 last night. Ted Nugent is goddamn hilarious.

But the whole Sebastian Bach thing is...well, jsp hit the nail on the head...

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Damn it, O-H! :cuss:

I can't get the song outta my head now....:banghead:

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the mind of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember - how the stars stole the night away, yeah yeah yeah.

Hey hey hey,
Ba de ya - say do you remember
Ba de ya - dancing in September
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

Ba duda, ba duda, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda

My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see you
Only blue talk and love,
Remember - how we knew love was here to stay

Now December found the love that we shared in September.
Only blue talk and love,
Remember - the true love we share today

Hey hey hey
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day.......there was a
Ba de ya - golden dreams were shiny days

Now our bell was ringing, aha
Our souls were singing.
Do you remember every cloudy day - yau !

There was a

Ba de ya de ya de ya
Ba de ya de ya de ya
Ba de ya de ya de ya - De ya..... X2

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2006, 08:05 AM

I've heard people say the same thing about the 50s, with the "greasers" and the whole bad boy image....

and the 60s, with the hippies, the potheads, the tramps, and the whole...."if it feels good, do it! Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll!" mantra.

My only point is, music is very subjective.....so much has to do with tastes, what was popular when "you" were in high school/college/as a young adult. Once life becomes paying the mortgage, and raising your family....music becomes less a focus. And as it changes, we tend to make fun of it, because it isn't what "WE" like/liked. JMHO.

jspchief
05-22-2006, 08:14 AM
I've heard people say the same thing about the 50s, with the "greasers" and the whole bad boy image....

and the 60s, with the hippies, the potheads, the tramps, and the whole...."if it feels good, do it! Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll!" mantra.

My only point is, music is very subjective.....so much has to do with tastes, what was popular when "you" were in high school/college/as a young adult. Once life becomes paying the mortgage, and raising your family....music becomes less a focus. And as it changes, we tend to make fun of it, because it isn't what "WE" like/liked. JMHO.I'm not neccessarily referring to the music itself. It's more the culture that comes with it.

Obviously the music appealed to a lot of people, to reach the level of popularity it reached. I still like to listen to the occasional Motley Crue or Ratt. The music by itself was decent. But just like when someone mentions Donna Summer, you invariably think of the disco scene, when someone mentions Poison, you're going to think of the ridiculous hair and clothing.

I do think every era of music produces a large quantity of songs that don't really survive the era. There are a lot of "throw away" songs from every decade, while only a few transcend into "classics". AC/DC seems to be able to escape the ridicule of some of the other bands of that era (although they came much earlier), while Poison will probably never be considered classic rock on a broad scale.

htismaqe
05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm not neccessarily referring to the music itself. It's more the culture that comes with it.

Obviously the music appealed to a lot of people, to reach the level of popularity it reached. I still like to listen to the occasional Motley Crue or Ratt. The music by itself was decent. But just like when someone mentions Donna Summer, you invariably think of the disco scene, when someone mentions Poison, you're going to think of the ridiculous hair and clothing.

I do think every era of music produces a large quantity of songs that don't really survive the era. There are a lot of "throw away" songs from every decade, while only a few transcend into "classics". AC/DC seems to be able to escape the ridicule of some of the other bands of that era (although they came much earlier), while Poison will probably never be considered classic rock on a broad scale.

AC/DC escapes the ridicule because they come from the previous era. It's the same reason Motorhead gets a pass, despite releasing some really bad stuff in the mid-to-late 80's.

AC/DC reached their zenith with "Back in Black" in 1980. "Hair" bands didn't really reach their zenith until about 1986.

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
AC/DC escapes the ridicule because they come from the previous era. It's the same reason Motorhead gets a pass, despite releasing some really bad stuff in the mid-to-late 80's.

AC/DC reached their zenith with "Back in Black" in 1980. "Hair" bands didn't really reach their zenith until about 1986.

I'll tell you what though, Razor's Edge and Thunderstruck.....and the like from the 90s, is pretty good stuff too. And I'm not really much of a head-banger type....:thumb:

Reaper16
05-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Of course "hair" bands are a joke. Very few had any worth to the listener at all. There is not one "hair" pop-hard band whose entire catalog wasn't outclassed by Def Leppard, a heavy metal band turned pop-hard rock. (Except for Motely Crue's "Kickstart My Heart," that song is all kinds of good. That song beats Def Leppard.)

ZepSinger
05-22-2006, 07:26 PM
That movie was hilarious and painful to watch at the same time. Sort of a real-life 'Spinal Tap'.

ODIN! ODIN!
:rockon:

Nightwish
05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Damn it, O-H! :cuss:

I can't get the song outta my head now....:banghead:

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the mind of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember - how the stars stole the night away, yeah yeah yeah.

Hey hey hey,
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

Ba duda, ba duda, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda

My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see you
Only blue talk and love,
Remember - how we knew love was here to stay

Now December found the love that we shared in September.
Only blue talk and love,
Remember - the true love we share today

Hey hey hey

Now our bell was ringing, aha
Our souls were singing.
Do you remember every cloudy day - yau !

There was a

Ba de ya de ya de ya
Ba de ya de ya de ya
Ba de ya de ya de ya - De ya..... X2LOL! As soon as I saw the thread title, that song (Earth, Wind and Fire, for those young pups who are confused right now) started running through my head. Glad I'm not the only one!

As to the OP, yeah, I've seen the movie, but I don't remember too much about it, it was several years ago. I do, however, remember the Chris Holmes scene y'all are talking about. I was really into W.A.S.P. at the time (they're still cool).

Nightwish
05-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Of course "hair" bands are a joke. Very few had any worth to the listener at all. There is not one "hair" pop-hard band whose entire catalog wasn't outclassed by Def Leppard, a heavy metal band turned pop-hard rock. (Except for Motely Crue's "Kickstart My Heart," that song is all kinds of good. That song beats Def Leppard.)
I dunno about that. With the exception of their first album (which was a fun listen, but rather simplistic and generic), the rest of Cinderella's catalog was greatly underappreciated, in my opinion.

Over-Head
05-23-2006, 05:27 AM
I do, however, remember the Chris Holmes scene y'all are talking about. I was really into W.A.S.P. at the time (they're still cool).
An El Paso hellhole,
I couldn't get much higher
White lightning moonshine,
tastes like fire
I drank for free till I couldn't see
I fell on the floor, what I said is

I'm blind in Texas, the lone star is hot tonight
I'm blind in Texas, the cowboys have taken my eyes.........

Did that one last night during the late open mike set.

Then followed it up with my all time favorite W.A.S.P song

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/w_a_s_p/wild_child.html (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/w_a_s_p/wild_child.html)

"Wild Child"

I ride, I ride the winds that bring the rain
A creature of love and I can't be tamed
I want you, cause I'm gonna take your love from him
And I'll touch your face and hot burning skin
No, he'll never ever touch you like I do
So look in my eyes and burn alive the truth

I'm a wild child, come and love me I want you
My heart's in exile I need you to touch me
Cause I want what you do... I want you

Tell me, tell me the lies you're telling him
When you run away cause I wanna know
Cause I, I'm sure it's killing him to find
That you run to me when he lets you go
Cause I'm burning, burning, burning up with fire
So come turn me on and turn the flames up higher

Cause I want what you do... I want you

A naked heat machine, I want your love
When the moons arise we'll feel just what it does

Cause I want what you do I want you

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll tell you what though, Razor's Edge and Thunderstruck.....and the like from the 90s, is pretty good stuff too. And I'm not really much of a head-banger type....:thumb:AC/DC should have just stopped. That "Stiff Upper Lip" song was just terrible.

Razor's Edge was a very good album, though.

chagrin
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Dude, Wild Child is teh ghey

Over-Head
05-24-2006, 03:50 AM
Dude, Wild Child is teh ghey
Why cuz you say so?
You perhaps don't like the song, but looking back on W.A.S.P.'s catalog it's probably one of the most melodic song’s, not to mention radio friendly they ever did.

A little known fact:
Blackie Lawless wrote that song, and offered it to Nikki Sixx who passed on it as it "wasn't really in Vinces vocal range".
(Read that yesterday on http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cruekiss/84.htm )

A must read for any die hard Crue fan :rockon: