View Full Version : Texans release Ragone

ROYC75
05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Sorry if this is a repost ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2451817

Texans release No. 3 QB Ragone
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Once regarded as a solid prospect, and a player who might eventually emerge as a starter in the league, quarterback Dave Ragone has been released by the Houston Texans after three seasons.

Ragone, 26, played in only two games in three seasons. He started two contests as a rookie, when David Carr was injured, and completed 20 of 40 passes for 135 yards, with one interception. He also rushed for 51 yards on six carries.

But over the past two seasons, Ragone did not appear in a single game, and as a pure, dropback pocket passer, he was probably ill-suited for the offense being installed by Texans first-year coach Gary Kubiak this spring. That offense will require more mobility from the quarterback and movement skills have never been Ragone's strong suit.

On the revamped depth chart, Ragone has been replaced as the No. 3 quarterback by rookie Quinton Porter, an undrafted free agent from Boston College who has impressed the coaches. Beset by a string of injuries, Porter started only 17 games during his college career.

The Texans earlier in the spring signed former Miami backup Sage Rosenfels to take over the No. 2 spot behind Carr, a job held by veteran Tony Banks the past four seasons. Banks was not re-signed and remains available as an unrestricted free agent.

Ragone was the team's third-round choice in the 2003 draft, the 88th player selected that year, following a standout career at Louisville. He signed a three-year, $1.35 million contract that included a signing bonus of $440,000. Then, this year, the Texans retained his rights as a restricted free agent and earlier this month signed him to the one-year qualifying offer of $721,600.

Last spring, playing for the Berlin Thunder, Ragone earned offensive most valuable player honors in the NFL Europe League. In leading his team to a World Bowl berth, Ragone completed 158 of 251 passes for 1,746 yards, with 13 touchdown passes and just two interceptions. He established an NFLEL record by throwing 174 straight passes without an interception.

Because he is not a "vested" veteran, Ragone is subject to league waivers, and could be claimed by a team seeking a young No. 3 quarterback.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here Insider.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Ragone will be a star someday!

In The AFL.....

ROYC75
05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Hardly not, he is a pocket passer........ AFL is too fast for that .

Ebolapox
05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
if we hadn't gotten croyle, I'd be dropping a 'DO IT CARL' right about now

greg63
05-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Hardly not, he is a pocket passer........ AFL is too fast for that .
ROFL
There's always arena ball....but that's probably too fast also. Oh, there's semi-pro.

ROYC75
05-22-2006, 11:25 AM
if we hadn't gotten croyle, I'd be dropping a 'DO IT CARL' right about now

Agreed ..........

Mr. Laz
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
pickup ragone now ... cut huard

depends on Ragones contract though

htismaqe
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
pickup ragone now ... cut huard

depends on Ragones contract though

If they released him, that would imply he has no contract. I doubt he's gonna command high dollar.

That being said, what does he bring that we don't already have?

Mr. Laz
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
If they released him, that would imply he has no contract. I doubt he's gonna command high dollar. Because he is not a "vested" veteran, Ragone is subject to league waivers, and could be claimed by a team seeking a young No. 3 quarterback..That being said, what does he bring that we don't already have?

he has more potiential then that suckass Huard and he has more nfl experience than croyle and printer.

i would prefer to keep croyle and printer ... but if they want more experience then i would take ragone over huard.

htismaqe
05-22-2006, 12:54 PM
he has more potiential then that suckass Huard and he has more nfl experience than croyle and printer.

i would prefer to keep croyle and printer ... but if they want more experience then i would take ragone over huard.

Ragone has virtually no experience.

If we're gonna cut Huard, we should keep Printers and Croyle and be done with it.

Brock
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
It never fails....some shitty player gets cut, and the "sign him now" crowd chimes in.

Mr. Laz
05-22-2006, 02:11 PM
It never fails....some shitty player gets cut, and the "sign him now" crowd chimes in.
he's a minimum salary type guy that i think is an upgrade over another minimum type salary backup we have.

what's the problem with that?

Cormac
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Years ago I wanted him and Lee Evans in the draft, in the worst way. I'm surprised he never made it, but he was never going to get the nod over David Carr. I'd like to bring him in, but we have plenty of young arms for the first time in decades.

sedated
05-22-2006, 03:15 PM
We should pick him up just so we can have more NFLE MVPs

Spicy McHaggis
05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
He looked terrible in the limited action I saw him in. He was playing for the Texans though.

ArrowheadHawk
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
We should pick him up just so we can have more NFLE MVPs
lets not

Bwana
05-22-2006, 03:30 PM
A collision between wishful thinking and reality is going to take place for someones team and it's not going to be pretty.