PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please.

Phobia
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
This thread is going to link to something new we're doing at Warpaint, so if you're offended by what you think is spam, click somewhere else now.

We've just released our first podcast and it has some interesting info. I just listened to it for the first time myself. I'm looking for your honest feedback on how we can improve this feature in the future. I'd rather keep it positive, but if you hated something in particular I'd like to hear about that as well.

http://mb14.scout.com/fchiefsinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=11830.topic

listopencil
05-22-2006, 11:54 PM
The musical intro is really bad.

Boozer
05-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Podcast? Why don't you just yell from a window. You'll reach more people.

Phobia
05-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Podcast? Why don't you just yell from a window. You'll reach more people.

I'll take that under advisement.

Demonpenz
05-23-2006, 12:09 AM
are they really going to change the scheme that much? I mean gunther is still the DC.

Dinny Bossa Nova
05-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I would try to quiet the sound reflecting surfaces in the studio. It doesn't sound cavernous, but I hear linoleum or wood floors or something. The room is a little too "live". Uni- directional mics would help this bash, cardiod tend to pick up room sounds.

Tell the person creepin' around to get their nachos BEFORE you do a keeper take. Footsteps in the background are, I don't know, "cheesy".

This based on the first 3.5 minutes only, so try and act like ya know....

Dinny

Phobia
05-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I would try to quiet the sound reflecting surfaces in the studio. It doesn't sound cavernous, but I hear linoleum or wood floors or something. The room is a little too "live". Uni- directional mics would help this bash, cardiod tend to pick up room sounds.

Tell the person creepin' around to get their nachos BEFORE you do a keeper take. Footsteps in the background are, I don't know, "cheesy".

This based on the first 3.5 minutes only, so try and act like ya know....

Dinny

Heh heh. It's totally amateurish in that regard. We did it on a solitary mike for the first run. We'll improve all that stuff. We're interested in content and not sounding like morons right now. All that production stuff is icing.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Demonpenz
05-23-2006, 12:20 AM
i don't think it's too bad. Of course i will have anything in the background to listen too if it is sports related

go bo
05-23-2006, 12:30 AM
i wouldn't want to pay for that...

some interesting tidbits and observations, but mostly it was just some guys sitting around and tossing superlatives around like trent green spreads his passes around...

also, too many subjects were covered when the most interesting news is how the minicamps and ota's looked with specific detail and analysis...

there was some of that, but not enough...

too long, didn't hold my interest, didn't like the ads or the theme music, but i'm old fashioned...

as a first effort, i'd give this podcast a solid c+...

now aren't you sorry you asked? :p :p :p

Phobia
05-23-2006, 12:31 AM
i wouldn't want to pay for that...

You don't have to. Nobody does.

I think your other criticisms are fair. I am still glad I asked. Thanks for your honesty.

go bo
05-23-2006, 12:35 AM
you're welcome...

btw, i wish that "other" site had more traffic, but it takes time i guess...

you're off to a good start though, keep it up...

Rausch
05-23-2006, 12:39 AM
1) Athan seems really nervous. I know radio/live/podcast isn't his normal gig but you could tell. Tell him to run the whole show/script through 4 times. By time 5 you're so bored and ready to move on the nerves are all gone.

2) The first 5 or 6 minutes appear to be fluff-stuff. Standard pick-a-player and pimp-the-pick stuff. No negatives. This podcast appears to be about giving fans more info about early practice. Be sure to include weaknesses and areas they need to work on as well.

(Example: Tambia showed early in practice why he was a 1st round pick. He blew past Jordan Black with a shrug and tagged the red-shirt with a quickness that would make DT proud. Later in drills, filling in at defensive tackle, he was less than impressive. Matched up with pro bowl gaurd Watters he failed to mount much of a push, and only fueled the questions of those who doubted his strength and ability to use his upper body to shed blockers.)

3) You're starting something new. Growing pains and mistakes are to be expected...

Dinny Bossa Nova
05-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Heh heh. It's totally amateurish in that regard. We did it on a solitary mike for the first run. We'll improve all that stuff. We're interested in content and not sounding like morons right now. All that production stuff is icing.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

If you are making an iPod cast, then production had best be the cake. Nobody knows if you're morons if they are listening to the feet walking around your chair.

You can get away with one mic if it is a very good one, it's cheaper to use individuals.

As far as sounding like morons, if the panel were talking as though they were sitting around one pitcher of beer speaking their thoughts instead of sitting around one microphone thumbing notes and speaking to it, I wouldn't be thinking they all need to just loosen up and talk real.

Was that a run-on sentence?

Showtime is tough if ya ain't used to it.

Dinny

Phobia
05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Be sure to include weaknesses and areas they need to work on as well.

I think that's a pertinent observation. I felt something was missing but couldn't put my finger on it until you posted this. We do need to balance that positive vibe with some of the drawbacks as well. Nice catch.

I actually disagree on your Nick analysis. He's pretty comfortable in that element now. He's been on the radio and TV so often this podcast was simple. If he still sounds nervous, it's something other than nerves.

keg in kc
05-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Quality of the audio was the most notable thing to me. If you want people to think of you as the professionals you are, then you need to sound like professionals. That sounded like a group of guys sitting in blow up coors chairs around a pc mic. It has to be better than that if you want people to respect the opinions or give any credence to the podcast; it's about packaging as much as content...

Otherwise, I liked it. Was more interesting than most of what I hear on the radio these days. It's always nice to have alternatives.

Rausch
05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
I actually disagree on your Nick analysis. He's pretty comfortable in that element now. He's been on the radio and TV so often this podcast was simple. If he still sounds nervous, it's something other than nerves.

After the third analysis (when he started talking about the WR we drafted) he didn't seem that way at all.

Might have been due to worrying about some technical/set-up stuff going on. I don't know, just seemed the intro bit was sketchy.

I think the 2nd guy came off pretty smooth.

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
The main thing I have to say is watch out for "rah-rah" type of reporting. Be mindful of being balanced concerning the positives and negatives. More indepth issues than we need to get Ty Law.

For example get into how Krumke's helping the D-line ect.....

Try a more aggressive theme song like "Hells Bells", or something like a "Spirit In the Sky" "Smoke on the Water", music riff get stuff that's real recognizable. Don't be afraid to use some kickass "classic" rock pieces that have great guitar backgrounds.

go bo
05-23-2006, 12:50 AM
well, there you go...

i don't listen to any talk radio, so i had nothing to compare this to...

maybe my grade should be b-...

keg in kc
05-23-2006, 12:54 AM
The stuff about the rolling roof is putting me to sleep.

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2006, 01:05 AM
ending theme music is bad ass, don't limit the music to just present day pieces. The reason why I'm harping on this is get's irritating hearing the same pop shit over and over on radio talk shows so mix it up with some older genre oriented stuff too

MahiMike
05-23-2006, 06:38 AM
I think anyone doing a podcast for our team is awesome! It's so much easier to listen to a podcast at work than surf the web. I love podcasts. And y'all better get on board 'cause they're here to stay!

morphius
05-23-2006, 07:03 AM
I didn't get all the way through it last night, but I did like what I heard. I agree with KEG on the sound, it did kind of sound "unprofessional", though the commercial in the middle seemed to sound very professional. Thought they did cover some of the weakness's they saw on the team as well, DT and CB.

Not sure if it is worth it or not, but might look to add some intro's to different segments of the show to kind of break it up. Tossing in an answer the fans section to it might be nice, have a thread on the site and pick the best/most frequent questions of the week might be an idea as well to make the audience feel more involved.

Other then that, the only thing that I thought was really missing was that they didn't sound all that comfortable with each other some times, but that is going to take time.

Keep it up, you are doing some good things over there.

StcChief
05-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Lose the cRAP intro music. Don't need it this is a talk show.

morphius
05-23-2006, 07:23 AM
I guess it can't be too bad if the only thing people seem to really find wrong is the fact that they don't like the choice of music.

ExtremeChief
05-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Not bad... hate the intro music. I know this isn't Warpaint's deal, but the sportsnutz song sucks.... bad....seriously. It reminds me of the SanDiego Supersailors song.

Iowanian
05-23-2006, 08:58 AM
My Biggest suggestion, is to slap Sammy Parker if he says 'knowwha'ahm'sayin' another time. He sounds like a mumbling idiot.

I'm along for the ride with the lose or cut back on the intro.
I'm also in agreement with Raush....I don't want to listen to a player fluffer. I want the good, the bad....and information that I'm not hearing from the normal media.....things that happen in practice, information about some of the lesser known players/backups/RFAs.

ROYC75
05-23-2006, 09:26 AM
My Biggest suggestion, is to slap Sammy Parker if he says 'knowwha'ahm'sayin' another time. He sounds like a mumbling idiot.

I'm along for the ride with the lose or cut back on the intro.
I'm also in agreement with Raush....I don't want to listen to a player fluffer. I want the good, the bad....and information that I'm not hearing from the normal media.....things that happen in practice, information about some of the lesser known players/backups/RFAs.

Agreed ......... FTR, The intro sucked major balls ...... :Lin:

Phobia
05-23-2006, 09:43 AM
So far, we agree - old, white Chiefs fans do not like rap music.

Iowanian
05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I can at least ffw through that and the commercials. The intro could be better if it were half the length.

I'd still prefer the intro over "Ty law ismmmff mmmffff mmfffff the missingmmmmmfmmmffff mmffff piece to the superbowl puzzlemmmffff mmffff mmffff"

ROYC75
05-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Is that what that was ? or was it Crap ?

Fine tune it there buddy...........

Phobia
05-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Is that what that was ? or was it Crap ?

Fine tune it there buddy...........

It's definitely cRAP. I included myself in the "old white guys" descriptor.

Phobia
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
I can at least ffw through that and the commercials. The intro could be better if it were half the length.

I'd still prefer the intro over "Ty law ismmmff mmmffff mmfffff the missingmmmmmfmmmffff mmffff piece to the superbowl puzzlemmmffff mmffff mmffff"

Yeah, the Ty Law stuff has been played out. We need to find interesting topics which haven't been discussed ad nauseam.

ROYC75
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
It's definitely cRAP. I included myself in the "old white guys" descriptor.

Pretty much knew that.........

BTW, how is things going, still hectic .....

Phobia
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah - speaking of which I really need to go make some money now.

Logical
05-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I think that's a pertinent observation. I felt something was missing but couldn't put my finger on it until you posted this. We do need to balance that positive vibe with some of the drawbacks as well. Nice catch.

I actually disagree on your Nick analysis. He's pretty comfortable in that element now. He's been on the radio and TV so often this podcast was simple. If he still sounds nervous, it's something other than nerves.What is wrong with you podcast is what is wrong with with WPI it comes across a homer vision 101. I have seen some improvement of late on WPI but there is a long way to go. The other thing is there seemed to be no friction between anyone. A little friction is good makes the audience pay attention.

Bob Dole
05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
ending theme music is bad ass, don't limit the music to just present day pieces. The reason why I'm harping on this is get's irritating hearing the same pop shit over and over on radio talk shows so mix it up with some older genre oriented stuff too

And be sure to pay your royalties.

OldTownChief
05-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Only had time to listen to about the 1st 10 minutes this time but don't really see anything that hasn't been mentioned.

1. I thought the intro was absolutely horrible.
2. Everyone seemed to stumble all over themselves and sounded "fake" and "amateurist"
3. Sammy Parker is a moron.
4. Bad sound quality, too much shuffling and background noise.
5. Nick - Too many uh's.
6. Edit the mistakes in the WPI commercial. Lots of them.

Overall, servicable and a B-

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2006, 06:11 PM
The other thing is there seemed to be no friction between anyone. A little friction is good makes the audience pay attention.

**** you

4th and Long
05-23-2006, 06:18 PM
**** you
ROFL

Phobia
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Only had time to listen to about the 1st 10 minutes this time but don't really see anything that hasn't been mentioned.

1. I thought the intro was absolutely horrible.
2. Everyone seemed to stumble all over themselves and sounded "fake" and "amateurist"
3. Sammy Parker is a moron.
4. Bad sound quality, too much shuffling and background noise.
5. Nick - Too many uh's.
6. Edit the mistakes in the <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> commercial. Lots of them.

Overall, servicable and a B-

You just wait until I'm on the show. I'm going to make everybody else sound like Howard Cosell.

Hammock Parties
05-23-2006, 08:35 PM
You just wait until I'm on the show. I'm going to make everybody else sound like Howard Cosell.

In that case I should only be appearing on the show as a cheesy gimmick.

jspchief
05-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Besides what other people mentioned, I thought it was too long.

Phobia
05-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Besides what other people mentioned, I thought it was too long.
Which is the beauty of a podcast. Take it with you and listen when you want to. If tens of thousands of people can listen to 3 hours of Kevin Keitzman every day....

jspchief
05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Which is the beauty of a podcast. Take it with you and listen when you want to. If tens of thousands of people can listen to 3 hours of Kevin Keitzman every day....Maybe it was because there was no dissenting opinons, maybe it was the personalities, maybe it was the subject matter (discussions that have been hashed out on CP numerous times). I just know my ears started glazing over about halfway through. It got kind of boring.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to hear the next one, based on that single performance. It might be a little more interesting when the season starts.

Phobia
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, we're going to mix it up. I think I'm going to be on the next one.

I agree, it was pretty homerish. We really are taking everybody's feedback seriously. I appreciate all the honesty.

jspchief
05-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, we're going to mix it up. I think I'm going to be on the next one.

I agree, it was pretty homerish. We really are taking everybody's feedback seriously. I appreciate all the honesty.I think you'll be a nice addition. Your personality should liven things up a bit.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-23-2006, 09:20 PM
And be sure to pay your royalties.

As someone who's getting into podcasting, I have to repeat Bob Dole's statement here. Your best bet is looking into "royalty-free" music to use on your show. Either get some local group to donate some music to you guys or else find some free stuff on the internet. And, no, I don't mean the pirated stuff on the web, I mean places like <a href="http://www.productiontrax.com/">Productiontrax.com</a> or one of the hundreds of other sites on the internet. Google is your friend.

Otherwise, with the kind of attention you're hoping to draw to this show, you'll be hearing from RIAA. Like them or hate them, copyright law says, you play someone's music, you owe them a licensing fee or royalties.

Better to be safe than sorry

Phobia
05-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I think you'll be a nice addition. Your personality should liven things up a bit.

I guess we'll soon know. I've never performed well as a radio guest.

I was moderately entertaining on TV once. Did you ever see that?

Halfcan
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I clicked on the link and it charged my credit card $200 bucks-WTH!

Just joking-nice work-loved hearing about the Rookies. Keep fighting the good fight Brotha!!

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 05:05 AM
You just wait until I'm on the show.

I don't think that would be a negative. You should be able to add some personality to the group. They were too "uptight".

Inspector
05-24-2006, 05:31 AM
I would be on the show but I always have this urge to lift my shirt and show my nipples.

That probably wouldn't fit in too well I guess.

Fire Me Boy!
05-24-2006, 06:36 AM
I would be on the show but I always have this urge to lift my shirt and show my nipples.

That probably wouldn't fit in too well I guess.
Depends... can we replace you with kchiefsqt?

StcChief
05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Phob,

This Has nothing to do about being WHITE or OLD. A podcast about the Chiefs or any sports team, technical industry content, etc. doesn't need any music. No need to try and grab listeners, they are listening, have downloaded it for a reason.

This is a talk show of observations broadcast when anyone can listen at their leasure....
This is NOT a 'LIVE' Radio show and should NOT be composed the same way.

Fans are here for the content this will hold interest of Fans looking for info about observations on the Chiefs. NOT Music.

Positives and Negatives about team, players, coaching, all good observations by CPers...

'Real' content is important not fluff or know played out stories with Law, etc.

Good luck trying to charge for this now, I don't think it will fly. Go the MLB route, they gave the game live sound away for a year.
Count downloads of Podcast audio segments.

Get more feedback and think again if WPI could charge $$.

Good first attempt though.

Phobia
05-24-2006, 08:40 AM
We don't have any plans to charge for the podcast. It's a promotions vehicle.

Iowanian
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
You're looking for an example of what I'm talking about....

Stuff like Teicher did here, is what interests me at this point and TC

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
5/21/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: WR Craphonso Thorpe looks far more ready to contribute than when he came in as a rookie last year. In a recent minicamp, Thorpe was strong enough to shed cornerbacks playing press coverage, something he struggled with last season. He caught the ball consistently and showed no ill effects of the broken leg he suffered at Florida State. Thorpe is the top contender to be the third wide receiver behind Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. Dante Hall will receive his playing time, but most of that will come as a slot receiver. . . . The release of veteran S Jerome Woods was no surprise. The drafting of Bernard Pollard in the second round and Jarrad Page in the seventh made Woods expendable. The Chiefs also have incumbent starters Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley and veteran backup William Bartee at safety. Pollard pleasantly surprised the Chiefs at a recent rookie camp with his athleticism. That was their biggest question about him. They're confident he will be a big hitter in the secondary, something he was at Purdue. Look for Pollard to give Knight a serious challenge for the starting spot on the strong side and eventually win the battle, perhaps as soon as the season-opener.

SCOUTING REPORT: Even though his debut season with the Chiefs was a disappointment because he continually battled nagging injuries, the Chiefs haven't given up on defensive end Carlos Hall. The Chiefs will give Hall a chance to be the force as a situational pass rusher they hoped he would be when they traded for him last year. Hall has pass rush skills and could be a factor if healthy. They won't ask him to play much in regular down and distance situations. Though capable of chasing running plays down from behind, Hall can also be overwhelmed by bigger, more physical opponents at the point of attack.

MINICAMP MAYHEM: On the practice field, Herm Edwards is perhaps more hands-on than any other NFL coach. That can't hurt as Edwards attempts to repair a forlorn defense. Edwards jumped into the middle of one drill after another and began instructing on the finer points. One minute, he was instructing linebackers on the proper way to pass drop. The next, he was teaching young defensive backs what to look for as the quarterback set up to throw. The players listened to the head coach, particularly one who started in the NFL for as long as Edwards did.

LINEBACKERS ANALYSIS: Grade: B-minus. The recent upgrade is tremendous. Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and Kendrell Bell are fast and athletic. Johnson and Bell need to have more of a playmaking impact.

Monkeylook4food
06-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks to all for their previous feedback. The new one is up and is improved. Same drill, please. Let me know what you think about it. The Kyle Turley segment is exhaustive of dynamics associated with signing that guy. I think we did a good job on it. It's also my only appearance on the show. I hope I didn't screw it up too badly.

http://content.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=3&blipid=14889