View Full Version : Chiefs Team Report:Tiecher

Tribal Warfare
05-24-2006, 01:59 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
5/21/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star http://i.tsn.com/i/p/s.gif

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: WR Craphonso Thorpe looks far more ready to contribute than when he came in as a rookie last year. In a recent minicamp, Thorpe was strong enough to shed cornerbacks playing press coverage, something he struggled with last season. He caught the ball consistently and showed no ill effects of the broken leg he suffered at Florida State. Thorpe is the top contender to be the third wide receiver behind Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. Dante Hall will receive his playing time, but most of that will come as a slot receiver. . . . The release of veteran S Jerome Woods was no surprise. The drafting of Bernard Pollard in the second round and Jarrad Page in the seventh made Woods expendable. The Chiefs also have incumbent starters Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley and veteran backup William Bartee at safety. Pollard pleasantly surprised the Chiefs at a recent rookie camp with his athleticism. That was their biggest question about him. They're confident he will be a big hitter in the secondary, something he was at Purdue. Look for Pollard to give Knight a serious challenge for the starting spot on the strong side and eventually win the battle, perhaps as soon as the season-opener.

SCOUTING REPORT: Even though his debut season with the Chiefs was a disappointment because he continually battled nagging injuries, the Chiefs haven't given up on defensive end Carlos Hall. The Chiefs will give Hall a chance to be the force as a situational pass rusher they hoped he would be when they traded for him last year. Hall has pass rush skills and could be a factor if healthy. They won't ask him to play much in regular down and distance situations. Though capable of chasing running plays down from behind, Hall can also be overwhelmed by bigger, more physical opponents at the point of attack.

MINICAMP MAYHEM: On the practice field, Herm Edwards is perhaps more hands-on than any other NFL coach. That can't hurt as Edwards attempts to repair a forlorn defense. Edwards jumped into the middle of one drill after another and began instructing on the finer points. One minute, he was instructing linebackers on the proper way to pass drop. The next, he was teaching young defensive backs what to look for as the quarterback set up to throw. The players listened to the head coach, particularly one who started in the NFL for as long as Edwards did.

LINEBACKERS ANALYSIS: Grade: B-minus. The recent upgrade is tremendous. Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and Kendrell Bell are fast and athletic. Johnson and Bell need to have more of a playmaking impact.

Tribal Warfare
05-24-2006, 02:03 AM
on a sidenote post the http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html to the main page of ChiefsPlanet

HemiEd
05-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Good news about Thorpe, Trent had good things to say about him as well.

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 05:37 AM
I get soooooo tired of reading homer reports.

Gaz
05-24-2006, 05:41 AM

Yeah, the doom and gloom is much more satisfying.

xoxo~
Gaz
HATES it when someone is optimistic.

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 05:43 AM
kind of casually mentions that Pollard may open the season as a starter, damn...that would be interesting....makes me wonder why we signed Knight, if true..

glad to hear something positive about Crap-ho...we need him and Parker to ascend...

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, the doom and gloom is much more satisfying.

xoxo~
Gaz
HATES it when someone is optimistic.

Not doom and gloom. Just more realistic.

keg in kc
05-24-2006, 06:00 AM
I get soooooo tired of reading homer reports.Yeah, cause Teicher is like king homer. He never says anything negative about the team. Nooooo. Not him. Not ever.

Gaz
05-24-2006, 06:01 AM
Good to hear about Thorpe. Particularly the “caught the ball consistently” part. Dante Hall needs to stay in the slot, so I am pleased that we have [3] WRs lined up to start.

I am glad to hear that the staff has hopes for Carlos Hall. Jeez, I still have hopes for Sims and Siavii. The idea of a QB-CRUSHING Defensive line in Red & Gold is near and dear to my crusty old heart.

Personally, would be surprised if Pollard beats out Knight. Old age and treachery Vs youth and skills, so forth.

If Bell is finally healthy, that would be a real plus. Hopefully, Gunther can unleash him on the pencil neck.

xoxo~
Gaz
Starved for some football.

Dr. Van Halen
05-24-2006, 06:55 AM

Calling Adam Teicher a homer is like calling Winston Churchill a Nazi sympathizer.

Teicher is notorious around the nation for his hatred of not only the Chiefs, but all things football.

Well, that's an exaggeration. But the guy is no homer.

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Teicher? Homer?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

milkman
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
kind of casually mentions that Pollard may open the season as a starter, damn...that would be interesting....makes me wonder why we signed Knight, if true..

Because he was the only guy that Gunt could beat in a foot race. :shrug:

No.
Really, this defense needed some leadership, and Knight brought that.

Now that Kawika appears ready to take on that responsibility, Knight's presence isn't as needed.

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 07:14 AM
I guess I missed the 'homer' part of this report...is there a second page or something that mentions KC winning the SB or something actually homerish?

jspchief
05-24-2006, 07:19 AM
I guess I missed the 'homer' part of this report...is there a second page or something that mentions KC winning the SB or something actually homerish?No shit. Is is possible that some young guys might actually be showing something positive?

I won't believe any of this homer BS until they prove it on the field!!!! When do we get to see the proof in the pudding?!!!! We heard this crap last year!!! Whine piss piss moan!

jidar
05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Good news about Thorpe. He was such a playmaker before his injury, I've had high hopes.

Surprising about Pollard. This can only be good. Either Pollard beats out Knight or it motivates Knight to play better. win/win

I'll believe the Carlos Hall thing when I see it.

keg in kc
05-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Surprising about Pollard. This can only be good. Either Pollard beats out Knight or it motivates Knight to play better. win/winKnight ain't gonna play "better". His limitations were physical and now he's a year older.

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I guess I missed the 'homer' part of this report...is there a second page or something that mentions KC winning the SB or something actually homerish?

Yes, I am psychic.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3219979

jspchief
05-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes, I am psychic.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3219979 It doesn't exactly take psychic powers to predict there will be retards at the special olympics.

Good call, nonetheless.

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Because he was the only guy that Gunt could beat in a foot race. :shrug:

No.
Really, this defense needed some leadership, and Knight brought that.

Now that Kawika appears ready to take on that responsibility, Knight's presence isn't as needed.

fair enough...and actually, I'm happy that Gun is willing to replace Knight if he deems it necessary...let's hope he gives the same consideration to Fox/Bell...I was pretty happy with Knights play last year, he clearly had a football intelligence that our defense lacked even if his physical skills are on the downside, if Pollard can genuinely replace him that would mean Pollard was an excellent pick...still doubt it happens this year though...

I'm most excited this year about seeing Fox and Crap-ho...in terms of players who are on the roster and haven't had a shot yet.

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 08:02 AM
It doesn't exactly take psychic powers to predict there will be geniouses at Chiefsplanet...

fixed your post.

I do think, however, that OldTownChief might just have created a Lexicon entry: Realistic

I need to check and see if I already have that one.

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 08:04 AM
fixed your post.

I do think, however, that OldTownChief might just have created a Lexicon entry: Realistic

I need to check and see if I already have that one.

with the offseason and a lot of noobs it might not be a bad idea to re-introduce the lexicon...get everyone on the same page...

milkman
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
with the offseason and a lot of noobs it might not be a bad idea to re-introduce the lexicon...get everyone on the same page...

And to update it.

Your and idiot
Retart

Among others that need to be in the lexicon.

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Here we go!

Lexicon Entry 30:

Realistic Report - A press report from mini-camp/training camp that says nothing good about the rookies progress or previous wasted draft picks of the Chiefs.

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM

The Lexicon...

1. Pissed Away - Any draft pick traded by KC
2. Wasted/Reach - Any draft pick used by KC to select a player
3. QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
4. QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC
5. Draft pick 'value' chart - A ruse by Carl planted in the media to 'justify' the Ryan Sims trade up in 2002.
6. Waste of Cap Dollars - Any FA that KC picks up
7. Cap Friendly Contract - Any contract signed by a FA to an NFL Franchise other than KC
8. Overpaid - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by KC
9. Good Cap Mgmt - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by any NFL franchise other than KC
10. Blind Homer - Any Chiefs fan that finds any 'good' value in any FA, draft pick, trade that KC makes. Can also include those who celebrate Chiefs victories during a losing season.
11. High on Pot/Heroine/Crack... - See Blind Homer.
12. The System - the reason why high quality players are cut from KC in favor of 'Waste of Cap Dollars' FA's or 'Wastes/Reaches'
13. High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC
14. College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
15. gloom, despair, agony on me - a thread bemoaning the end of the upcoming KC season that's over 3-9 months away or just prior to the seasons start.
16. Dont question my fandom! - the flame war that ensues after a blind homer/High on Crack/Pot/Heroine posts in a 'gloom, despair, agony on me' thread.
17. Agressive-win now approach - When any other NFL franchise other than KC signs a veteran FA.
18. Short-sighted - When KC signs a veteran FA.
19. NFL Caliber Talent - something KC does not have, especially at 'key' positions, that all other NFL Franchises are teeming with.
20. Get Lucky - What caused FA, draft pick, traded player to have a 'good' season. b) Could also be the cause of a playoff win or SB win.
21. Good Season - Something that doesnt happen to the KC franchise.
22. Moron - Any of the numerous members of the Chiefs organization. Examples include: Dick Vermiel and Carl Peterson. b)Can also be used to identify a blind homer in a gloom, despair, agony on me thread
23. Winning the Lottery- What happens if a coach or player currently with KC had played in and won the SB with a another NFL franchise. This term will also be used to describe a KC SB winning season. See also 'Get Lucky'
24. The Profile - A mythical paradigm usually used as an excuse by the Chief's front office as a reason for not signing an impact free agent in their continued attempt to keep the team mediocre and fill the seats of Arrowhead stadium.
25. Prolific Success - KC going .500 with Gunther and Stooges or Marty
26. Decent Contract Offer - A contract not offered by Carl to sign a player in time for Training Camp. See Also Overpaid
27. Attempting to get better - Any FA signing by any NFL club other than KC. See also Agressive-win now approach
28. Minion/Cannon Fodder - See Blind Homer.
29. Valid Rumor - Any speculation on how Carl Peterson almost screwed up a draft pick/trade/FA Acquisition.
30. Realistic Report - A press report from mini-camp/training camp that says nothing good about the rookies progress or previous wasted draft picks of the Chiefs.

---Official Chiefsplanet Spellings---
1. Genious - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Genius'. Any Internet BB poster who claims to know more about NFL talent evaluation, running an NFL franchise or playing in the NFL than those currently employed in the NFL.
2. Looser - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Loser'. Extra 'o' is added for emphasis as to how big a loser receipient of said word really is.
3. Retart - The ChiefsPlanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Retard'. Replacing the 'd' with a 't' is added for emphasis as to how stupid recipient of said word really is.
4. Conceded - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'conceited'.
5. Moran - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'moron'. The 'a' is used for special emphasis to point out just how bad of a moron the recipient is. This can be used to replace 'Moron' in The Lexicon of terms above.
6. Your and Idiot - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood phrase 'You're an Idiot'. This is used because the recipient of said rebuttal is usually too stupid to know better.

milkman
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Where's Martyocre?

Coogs
05-24-2006, 09:07 AM
MINICAMP MAYHEM: On the practice field, Herm Edwards is perhaps more hands-on than any other NFL coach. That can't hurt as Edwards attempts to repair a forlorn defense. Edwards jumped into the middle of one drill after another and began instructing on the finer points. One minute, he was instructing linebackers on the proper way to pass drop. The next, he was teaching young defensive backs what to look for as the quarterback set up to throw. The players listened to the head coach, particularly one who started in the NFL for as long as Edwards did.

I'm starting to have faith that we may just have a defense this season. It appears that Herm is taking over Gun's role. We have changed Gun's system. And now, Herm is teaching the LB's (supposed to be Gun's strength) the proper way to pass drop. And he is teaching the DB's what to look for when the QB sets up to throw.

Herm appears to be gaining the players trust. Let him coach the defense, and let Gun do what he does best.... throw people under the bus.

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
The Lexicon...

1. Pissed Away - Any draft pick traded by KC
2. Wasted/Reach - Any draft pick used by KC to select a player
3. QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
4. QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC
5. Draft pick 'value' chart - A ruse by Carl planted in the media to 'justify' the Ryan Sims trade up in 2002.
6. Waste of Cap Dollars - Any FA that KC picks up
7. Cap Friendly Contract - Any contract signed by a FA to an NFL Franchise other than KC
8. Overpaid - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by KC
9. Good Cap Mgmt - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by any NFL franchise other than KC
10. Blind Homer - Any Chiefs fan that finds any 'good' value in any FA, draft pick, trade that KC makes. Can also include those who celebrate Chiefs victories during a losing season.
11. High on Pot/Heroine/Crack... - See Blind Homer.
12. The System - the reason why high quality players are cut from KC in favor of 'Waste of Cap Dollars' FA's or 'Wastes/Reaches'
13. High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC
14. College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
15. gloom, despair, agony on me - a thread bemoaning the end of the upcoming KC season that's over 3-9 months away or just prior to the seasons start.
16. Dont question my fandom! - the flame war that ensues after a blind homer/High on Crack/Pot/Heroine posts in a 'gloom, despair, agony on me' thread.
17. Agressive-win now approach - When any other NFL franchise other than KC signs a veteran FA.
18. Short-sighted - When KC signs a veteran FA.
19. NFL Caliber Talent - something KC does not have, especially at 'key' positions, that all other NFL Franchises are teeming with.
20. Get Lucky - What caused FA, draft pick, traded player to have a 'good' season. b) Could also be the cause of a playoff win or SB win.
21. Good Season - Something that doesnt happen to the KC franchise.
22. Moron - Any of the numerous members of the Chiefs organization. Examples include: Dick Vermiel and Carl Peterson. b)Can also be used to identify a blind homer in a gloom, despair, agony on me thread
23. Winning the Lottery- What happens if a coach or player currently with KC had played in and won the SB with a another NFL franchise. This term will also be used to describe a KC SB winning season. See also 'Get Lucky'
24. The Profile - A mythical paradigm usually used as an excuse by the Chief's front office as a reason for not signing an impact free agent in their continued attempt to keep the team mediocre and fill the seats of Arrowhead stadium.
25. Prolific Success - KC going .500 with Gunther and Stooges or Marty
26. Decent Contract Offer - A contract not offered by Carl to sign a player in time for Training Camp. See Also Overpaid
27. Attempting to get better - Any FA signing by any NFL club other than KC. See also Agressive-win now approach
28. Minion/Cannon Fodder - See Blind Homer.
29. Valid Rumor - Any speculation on how Carl Peterson almost screwed up a draft pick/trade/FA Acquisition.
30. Realistic Report - A press report from mini-camp/training camp that says nothing good about the rookies progress or previous wasted draft picks of the Chiefs.

---Official Chiefsplanet Spellings---
1. Genious - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Genius'. Any Internet BB poster who claims to know more about NFL talent evaluation, running an NFL franchise or playing in the NFL than those currently employed in the NFL.
2. Looser - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Loser'. Extra 'o' is added for emphasis as to how big a loser receipient of said word really is.
3. Retart - The ChiefsPlanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'Retard'. Replacing the 'd' with a 't' is added for emphasis as to how stupid recipient of said word really is.
4. Conceded - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'conceited'.
5. Moran - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood word 'moron'. The 'a' is used for special emphasis to point out just how bad of a moron the recipient is. This can be used to replace 'Moron' in The Lexicon of terms above.
6. Your and Idiot - The Chiefsplanet spelling of the commonly understood phrase 'You're an Idiot'. This is used because the recipient of said rebuttal is usually too stupid to know better.

one bump for the noobs...that's good stuff there...wisdom...

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm starting to have faith that we may just have a defense this season. It appears that Herm is taking over Gun's role. We have changed Gun's system. And now, Herm is teaching the LB's (supposed to be Gun's strength) the proper way to pass drop. And he is teaching the DB's what to look for when the QB sets up to throw.

Herm appears to be gaining the players trust. Let him coach the defense, and let Gun do what he does best.... throw people under the bus.

Maybe Gunther was just retained as a rah-rah guy or a favor to Carl?

I do like that Herm appears to be totally hands-on.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 11:50 AM
The drafting of Bernard Pollard in the second round and Jarrad Page in the seventh made Woods expendable
except for that they play 2 different positions

woods = free safety
bernard = strong safety

btw- if the chiefs really don't have free/strong safeties then it's no wonder that the defense sucks.

no free/strong safety + no moving cornerbacks to control matchups = Gunther is a dumbass

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM

woods = free safety
bernard = strong safety

btw- if the chiefs really don't have free/strong safeties then it's no wonder that the defense sucks.

no free/strong safety + no moving cornerbacks to control matchups = Gunther is a dumbass

Woods was a strong safety for his first 4-5 years.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Woods was a strong safety for his first 4-5 years.

news to me .... prolly news to Reggie Tongue too.

Tongue was drafted as the strong safety the same year Woods was at Free safety(1996).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/historical/years/1996round.html

Jerome woods was used as a cornerback his 1st year and half ... then moved to free safety.

Brock
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Irrelevant anyway. Woods was expendable the day the Vikings' third string QB knocked him on his ass.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Irrelevant anyway. Woods was expendable the day the Vikings' third string QB knocked him on his ass.
what's irrelevant?

whether Woods ever played free safety or that fact that we don't have a viable free safety on the roster?

well, i guess william bartee would be consider a natural free safety ... but they moved him to strong safety.

maybe scott connot is ready to step up :shrug:

Brock
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
what's irrelevant?

What led to Woods being shitcanned is irrelevant. He's been a weak player for a long time, pro bowl or not.

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
news to me .... prolly news to Reggie Tongue too.

Tongue was drafted as the strong safety the same year Woods was at Free safety(1996).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/historical/years/1996round.html

Jerome woods was used as a cornerback his 1st year and half ... then moved to free safety.

He wasnt' a starter at CB. I was speaking specifically to the 1997 season and beyond...is it possible Gunther was doing this thing with left and right all the way back then and we just weren't astute enough to notice at the time? Because I specifically remember watching Tongue play and he was the "centerfielder" quite a bit...

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
what's irrelevant?

whether Woods ever played free safety or that fact that we don't have a viable free safety on the roster?

well, i guess william bartee would be consider a natural free safety ... but they moved him to strong safety.

maybe scott connot is ready to step up :shrug:

I don't like him, but I would argue that Wesley is a natural FS. Much better suited for FS than SS...

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:15 PM
What led to Woods being shitcanned is irrelevant. He's been a weak player for a long time, pro bowl or not.

agreed ... i'm just more concerned with having a legitimate pass defense threat back at the safety position.

one that can come over from center field and knock the ball away on those timing pass lobs down the sideline.

if we have a safety that can do that they our cornerbacks can start jumping the short stuff for the big Int's.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't like him, but I would argue that Wesley is a natural FS. Much better suited for FS than SS...
maybe his ball skills will improve since last year was his first at free safety.

but so far he doesn't seem to know what to do

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
agreed ... i'm just more concerned with having a legitimate pass defense threat back at the safety position.

one that can come over from center field and knock the ball away on those timing pass lobs down the sideline.

if we have a safety that can do that they our cornerbacks can start jumping the short stuff for the big Int's.

Hopefully, Pollard can bring that.

Rausch
05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
He wasnt' a starter at CB. I was speaking specifically to the 1997 season and beyond...is it possible Gunther was doing this thing with left and right all the way back then and we just weren't astute enough to notice at the time? Because I specifically remember watching Tongue play and he was the "centerfielder" quite a bit...

With CB's it didn't matter because we had Hasty and Carter.

When did Collins (S we got from the Giants) retire again?...

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Hopefully, Pollard can bring that.
maybe... but everything i've seen about pollard is that he is a traditional strong safety.

big hitter, great in the box ... limited range

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 12:34 PM
With CB's it didn't matter because we had Hasty and Carter.

When did Collins (S we got from the Giants) retire again?...

Players to Watch(1997)

Based on the play of Jerome Woods during April minicamp, the Chiefs chose not to re-sign veteran free safety Mark Collins. At 24, Woods, a 1996 first-round draft pick out of Memphis, is faster than the 33-year-old Collins, reflecting K.C.'s shift to a speed defense. Of Woods, coach Marty Schottenheimer says, "There will be some things he won't do as well as Mark might—but there will be plays he makes that Mark wouldn't have made."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/events/1997/nflpreview/AFCWEST/chiefsplay.html

Pitt Gorilla
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
That was awesome, titus. Your and genious.

Rausch
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
maybe... but everything i've seen about pollard is that he is a traditional strong safety.

Same deal with Lynch in his prime. It'd take it...

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 01:38 PM

That was what the scouting reports said.

Everybody that went to mini-camp said he's VERY fast and seemed to have good instincts on the long passes... :shrug:

Mr. Laz
05-24-2006, 01:41 PM
That was what the scouting reports said.

Everybody that went to mini-camp said he's VERY fast and seemed to have good instincts on the long passes... :shrug:
outstanding

maybe hali and pollard can raise the defense a level ....

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
outstanding

maybe hali and pollard can raise the defense a level ....

At the very least, they bring attitude, heart, and determination to the defense...something I think we lack.

I went back and watched a couple of 2004 Purdue games (they had a meltdown last year) and Pollard was a monster...

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM

Remind me to explain in detail around week 10 of the upcoming season.

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: Thorpe was strong enough to shed cornerbacks playing press coverage, something he struggled with last season.

Which cornerbacks was he sheading in Chiefs minicamp?

Chiefaholic
05-24-2006, 07:36 PM

woods = free safety
bernard = strong safety

At the minicamp Pollard was lined up at FS.