PDA

View Full Version : Any virtualization gurus in the house?

Gaz
05-24-2006, 05:39 AM
I set up a dual-boot with XP and XandrOS, planning to use Linux for surfing and XP for everything else. The problem is that restarting the computer to move from Linux to XP [and vice versa is a pain. Okay, yes, I am lazy, but the point is that the dual-boot is just not a viable option at Rancho Gaz.

I am looking into the VMWare Player that will allow me to run Linux as a “guest” system on a Windows “host.” That way, I can surf with Linux and do everything else on Windows.

Sounds too good to be true.

Does anyone have any experience with virtualization software? Can you educate me on the downside?

Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still trying to surf without Windows.

morphius
05-24-2006, 07:09 AM
I've seen them used and most people that I know seem to like them well enough. I have thought about doing something similar, but then I use up all of my disk space and have to wait...

Gaz
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Shameless bump.

xoxo~
Gaz
Invisible?

HC_Chief
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Works great as long as you have plenty of RAM in your system. I recommend 2GB... allocate a full GB to the VMWare image.

Gaz
05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Apparently needs to bulk up a bit.

patteeu
05-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Why? Why do you want to use Linux to surf? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.

Gaz
05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Because I want the added security I get from the Linux OS. That was the reason I went with a dual-boot configuration. We planned to surf with XandrOS then switch back to Windows XP for everything else. However, it is just too much of a hassle to restart the system to move from Linux to Windows. I know it sounds like a small thing, but it is a nuisance in actual practice.

My research has led me to believe that virtualization [VMWare Player or Parallels Workstation for Windows] will allow me to run Linux and Windows XP simultaneously. That way, I can use Windows for Quicken and Outlook and the other programs that do not work in Linux, while using Linux for surfing.

I would like to dump Windows altogether, but Linux is not yet ready to be my sole desktop. XandrOS came close, but I have too many programs that have no viable Linux equivalents ["viable" for Rancho Gaz, that is]. I tried running Quicken under CrossOver Office, but it was just too buggy. This way [or at least so it seems], I can install VMWare Player and use Windows XP as the “host” system while running a Linux “guest” system to interface with the real world that is full of buttheads who want to trash my system.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not happy to be a Windows prisoner, but trying to make the best of it.

Gaz
05-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Okay, one more bump to see if anyone out there has used VMWare.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thought there were more Geeks out there than this.

nmt1
05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I've used VMWare before though I've never used it with Linux. The other posters who said you need lots of memory were right. Don't know that you need 2GB's if you're only going to surf with it. It's always a good idea to have as much memory as you can afford.
You should be able to download a trial version of VMWare and at least give it a shot. The full version is a bit expensive if I remember right, over $200 per license. It's not that hard to use but make sure you download all the documentation with it.
Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Gaz
05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
The VMWare Player is a free download. It is a smaller version of the VMWare application. You cannot create new virtual machines [well, there are actually several “hack” sites that show you how to do so], but it comes with a truncated version of Ubuntu [with Firefox] and you can download additional guest OSs from the VMWare site.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has to convince Mrs. Gaz next.

nmt1
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
The VMWare Player is a free download. It is a smaller version of the VMWare application. You cannot create new virtual machines [well, there are actually several “hack” sites that show you how to do so], but it comes with a truncated version of Ubuntu [with Firefox] and you can download additional guest OSs from the VMWare site.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has to convince Mrs. Gaz next.

They must've changed the way they do things. When I configured my last virtual machine, I could set up as many as I wanted and use them for a short period of time. Don't remember exactly how long...2 weeks I think.
I think you should wade on in. Hope it works for you.