PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Bush considered for commish

Boyceofsummer
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Gov. Bush considered for commish
NFL representative approached president's brother
Posted: Wednesday May 24, 2006 10:26AM; Updated: Wednesday May 24, 2006 12:25PM

Jeb Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008.
AP

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he was privately approached about his interest in becoming the NFL's next commissioner.

Bush said Tuesday the issue was discussed at a recent meeting with Patrick Rooney Sr., according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Rooney's brother is Dan Rooney, owner of Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and co-chair of the search committee looking to replace the retiring Paul Tagliabue.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said, 'I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things,"' Bush told the newspaper.

Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008. His final term as governor ends in January, although he doesn't believe NFL officials will hold the position open until then.

Tagliabue, who has been commissioner since 1989, announced in March his decision to retire. Although he originally set a July 31 deadline to be out of the job, he has indicated his willingness to stay on longer.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

OnTheWarpath15
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Gov. Bush considered for commish
NFL representative approached president's brother
Posted: Wednesday May 24, 2006 10:26AM; Updated: Wednesday May 24, 2006 12:25PM

Jeb Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008.
AP

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he was privately approached about his interest in becoming the NFL's next commissioner.

Bush said Tuesday the issue was discussed at a recent meeting with Patrick Rooney Sr., according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Rooney's brother is Dan Rooney, owner of Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and co-chair of the search committee looking to replace the retiring Paul Tagliabue.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said, 'I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things,"' Bush told the newspaper.

Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008. His final term as governor ends in January, although he doesn't believe NFL officials will hold the position open until then.

Tagliabue, who has been commissioner since 1989, announced in March his decision to retire. Although he originally set a July 31 deadline to be out of the job, he has indicated his willingness to stay on longer.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nice to see that the NFL is taking this search seriously......

:rolleyes:

05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
repost

Duck Dog
05-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Nice to see that the NFL is taking this search seriously......

:rolleyes:

What disqualifies Jeb Bush as a 'serious' candidate?

Spicy McHaggis
05-24-2006, 02:58 PM

He'll award Cheney the new franchise in LA. :p

teedubya
Oh man, lets not do this, please.

58-4ever
Dear God,
I don't usually speak my prayers so publicly, but Lord, this is very important. Oh God in heaven, please dont let another Bush ruin something I love. It's bad enough that my country will have a black eye for years to come from the incompetence, bad decisions and "strategery" of his brother's current administration. I know everyone deserves a Tabula Rasa, Lord, but a clean slate is hard to give any member of the Bush family, seeing as though they usually try to dirty that plate immediately by piling it up with oil and/or money. The National Football League can not be run by THE DECIDER's brother. Just what in the hell does Jeb Bush know about football, God? Listen, I know you're pretty busy with more pertinent things than this, like divine intervention, what to do with Fred Phelps or planning our next hurricane, but if you have any mercy God, please dont let Jeb Bush be the next commish of NFL. On the other hand, you could let him be the commissioner, and within a year, more people will be attending mass, church, synagogue and spaceship (for all you Scientologists), praying for the life and well being of their once beloved league. As always, it's up to you. In the name of the Father, son....

banyon
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Dear God,
I don't usually speak my prayers so publicly, but Lord, this is very important. Oh God in heaven, please dont let another Bush ruin something I love. It's bad enough that my country will have a black eye for years to come from the incompetence, bad decisions and "strategery" of his brother's current administration. I know everyone deserves a Tabula Rasa, Lord, but a clean slate is hard to give any member of the Bush family, seeing as though they usually try to dirty that plate immediately by piling it up with oil and/or money. The National Football League can not be run by THE DECIDER's brother. Just what in the hell does Jeb Bush know about football, God? Listen, I know you're pretty busy with more pertinent things than this, like divine intervention, what to do with Fred Phelps or planning our next hurricane, but if you have any mercy God, please dont let Jeb Bush be the next commish of NFL. On the other hand, you could let him be the commissioner, and within a year, more people will be attending mass, church, synagogue and spaceship (for all you Scientologists), praying for the life and well being of their once beloved league. As always, it's up to you. In the name of the Father, son....

You Forgot the A-F***ING-MEN

Brock
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Ray Nagin will probably be available.

BIG_DADDY
05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
No thanks. Due to his brother I have heard enough about steroids to last me 10 lifetimes I don't want to hear any more.

tk13
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Hire Isiah Thomas. That would be exciting.

StcChief
05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
We want King Carl....for Commish

banyon
05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Ray Nagin will probably be available.
? Nagin won didn't he? :shrug:

Brock
05-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Damn if he didn't. Surreal.

OnTheWarpath15
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM

Yes.

The vote was split among race, but somehow, Nagin got a smidge of the white vote. Surprising after that whole "God intended New Orleans to be a chocolate city" episode.

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Jeb Bush couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a.

FAX
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
That is awful news, if true.

It would turn the NFL into a bush league.

FAX

pak1983
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Howard Stern for commish

Duck Dog
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Yeah, so did Marion Barry.

banyon
05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, so did Marion Barry.

Are you saying that it's his victory that makes Nagin unavailable for comissioner duty, or his propensity for smoking the crack rock?

PunkinDrublic
05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Hasn't that dispicable family done enough to hurt this country? Whoever even approached Jeb about being commish should be severely beaten.

ArrowheadHawk
05-24-2006, 05:27 PM
i thought he was supposed to run for president

ChiefFripp
05-24-2006, 05:53 PM
You Forgot the A-F***ING-MEN
quoted for truth

PunkinDrublic
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Update: I just saw on yahoo news Jeb isn't interested in becoming commissioner. Thank God!! Worry about your crackhead daughter first Jeb!

Halfcan
05-24-2006, 11:17 PM
I heard they voted on it-but it took place in Florida-and we wont have an answer unless Al Gore goes for the job.

Demonpenz
05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
he would bring back the oilers

beer bacon
05-25-2006, 12:02 AM

It would go a long way towards alienating a large portion of the NFL's fanbase. How do you think most republicans would feel if one of the Clintons was chosen as commish?

Duck Dog
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Are you saying that it's his victory that makes Nagin unavailable for comissioner duty, or his propensity for smoking the crack rock?

I'm saying that dumbasses from the north and dumbasses from the south will continue to vote back into office the same dumbasses.

Duck Dog
05-25-2006, 07:33 AM
It would go a long way towards alienating a large portion of the NFL's fanbase. How do you think most republicans would feel if one of the Clintons was chosen as commish?

You can't choose a dem for commish of the NFL, everyone knows they throw like girls.

Radar Chief
05-25-2006, 07:45 AM
That is awful news, if true.

It would turn the NFL into a bush league.

FAX

Buh, dum, tish. ;)

Radar Chief
05-25-2006, 07:50 AM

Pfffft. I give a chit.
If the next commish will do something to make the refs full time employees of the NFL and therefore responsible for the bad calls they make, I don’t care its freak’n Hillary herself.