PDA

View Full Version : New this summer on SciFi: ECW Wrestling?!

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 05:50 AM
I kid you not. WTF.

Sci Fi pins wrestling to summer (http://hollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002575523)

Sci Fi Channel is getting into the ring with wrestling. The cable network is following its NBC Universal sibling USA Network into a deal with World Wrestling Entertainment for a weekly series devoted to a WWE spinoff league, Extreme Championship Wrestling. Beginning June 13, the yet-to-be-titled series will air at 10 p.m. Tuesdays on the network through the rest of the summer. Bonnie Hammer, president of USA and Sci Fi, hopes the latter channel gets the same ratings lift that USA has gotten from WWE's "Raw." "This is going to be a great summer series for us," Hammer said. She cited research documenting an overlap among Sci Fi's viewers and WWE fans. "It's a huge duplication," she said. "Close to 50% who watch 'Raw' watch Sci Fi as well." As for how a wrestling franchise fits within the parameters of the Sci Fi brand, Hammer said the series is being developed to match the sensibility of the channel's "stretching the imagination" theme. "It will have a nice little twist that will fit in the brand," she said. While the ECW is only scheduled to run in the summer, Hammer did not rule out extending its run year-round a la "Raw" if it proved successful. "ECW on Sci Fi will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways," WWE chairman Vince McMahon said. In recent weeks, WWE has been incorporating ECW into its story lines, positioning it to be a standalone series opposite "Raw" and UPN's "Smackdown," which will continue next season on the CW. The ECW franchise also has been a brisk seller for WWE on DVD and pay-per-view since McMahon acquired the brand in 2003. (Andrew Wallenstein)

Braincase
05-25-2006, 07:18 AM
:shake:

jspchief
05-25-2006, 07:22 AM
As disturbing as I find this, if the overall effect is keeping Sci Fi profitable, I can live with it.

Better to have wrestling to stay afloat than have no wrestling and go off the air.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
I actually watch wrestling, but I just can't grasp the concept of ECW on the same channel as stargate: poughkeepsie and battlestar galactica.

morphius
05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm wondering how they are going to do this "stretching the imagination" with wrestling? Use real refs?

JBucc
05-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Didn't watch before, won't watch now.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm wondering how they are going to do this "stretching the imagination" with wrestling? Use real refs?As someone on one of the scifi boards said, mayble they'll shoot each other with laserbeams from their asses.

morphius
05-25-2006, 07:48 AM
As someone on one of the scifi boards said, mayble they'll shoot each other with laserbeams from their asses.
Alien Abductions, Cyborgs, Ewok wrestling...

Oh joy

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Midget wrestling!!!

Radar Chief
05-25-2006, 07:51 AM
:shake:

X2 :shake:

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Hey, is it really any worse than Scare Tactics?

Ceej
05-25-2006, 08:25 AM
In their prime, ECW was probably the most enjoyable "wrestling" to watch. I know alot of you older folk would not consider it wrestling.

I remember catching a couple of ECW house shows here in Wichita, great stuff.

I'm looking forward to ECW on the Sci-fi channel and their PPV this upcoming month. :)

unlurking
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
This sux.

I am sick of all the stuff the new owners of sci-fi are throwing on there.

Law and Order SVU reruns?!?!
Braveheart?!?!
Wrestling?!?!
Passions?!?!

Just waiting for the Walker : Texas Rangers reruns. :shake:

Ceej
05-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Wait, people here actually watch the Sci-fi channel? LOL.

Demonpenz
05-25-2006, 09:36 AM
i am glad they are mixing it up. everytime i turn on that channel there is aliens and space ships. I like some of that sometimes but not all the time.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Wait, people here actually watch the Sci-fi channel? LOL.Several people, that's why I posted it.i am glad they are mixing it up. everytime i turn on that channel there is aliens and space ships. I like some of that sometimes but not all the time.Aliens and space ships?! On the SciFi channel?!?! OMFG!! I can't believe it!

Ceej
05-25-2006, 09:45 AM
I was being sarcastic. Occasionally I'll be channel surfing and catch a cheesy horror movie on the Sci-fi channel and watch it for a bit.

Anyway, I hope ECW doesn't suck as much as it was on ****in' TNN.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 09:49 AM
In their prime, ECW was probably the most enjoyable "wrestling" to watch. I know alot of you older folk would not consider it wrestling.

I remember catching a couple of ECW house shows here in Wichita, great stuff.

I'm looking forward to ECW on the Sci-fi channel and their PPV this upcoming month.I think that I enjoy the 60 minutes of TNA Impact! more than the 4 hours of stuff the WWE produces weekly right now. It's nothing like it was in the 90's. Hell, I sometimes go months at a time without watching, and when I come back, it's like I didn't miss anything. There's never anything really new or interesting, it's like they're going through the motions. I guess the company's too big, there's no real main eventers anymore, and there's nothing like WCW around to make things interesting. Hopefully TNA can get there eventually.

Ceej
05-25-2006, 09:53 AM
I feel the same way regarding the WWE. But, their first One Night Stand PPV was amazing. I'm into that "hardcore" wrestling (?).

I've never been into great technical matches or lucha libre matches. Just the tables, ladders, fire, and chair matches. Beating one another into a bloody pulp. I enjoy those the most. I even enjoy those japanese deathmatches, you can buy some of those at Best Buy and Suncoast.

But, I agree, I was really into wrestling for awhile, now I really don't watch it. Maybe buy a PPV here and there - Wrestlemania and the ECW PPVs, but other than that it's just not as enjoyable as it used to be.

But, color me optimistic and giddy about the rebirth of ECW, hopefully this lasts a bit longer.

Ceej
05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Also, the Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome match during the first ECW : One Night Stand was probably the most entertaining match I've ever watched. Simply incredible.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I have noticed lately that both companies (by that I mean TNA and WWE) really seem to be emphasizing both blood and "hardcore" style matches. So maybe you're part of a trend.

Ceej
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, they did that previously too.

I think it's just a generation gap, really. Alot of their fans are youth, who most enjoy the blood and "hardcore" matches.

They don't enjoy the real wrestling matches which most of the older crowd enjoy.

Anyway, what is your take on ECW? Ever a fan of their "brand?"

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I watched them when they were on TNN, and actually enjoyed it before they got bought, but I (very, very) rarely watch PPVs. I'm more of your freebie rasslin' fan.

And I enjoy real wrestling matches if, and only if, the participants do things that make me say "oh shit! I can't believe they just did that". Which is why I prefer TNA over WWE right now. The guys in TNA seem to be more athletic, more willing to take risks, and while I think they spend too much time jawing on camera, it's still not as bad as Raw (I mean, hell, the first 15 minutes EVERY week right now are people talking - EVERY week). And the WWE matches all seem to follow the same script week after week, and nobody really does...anything - technical, innovative or even brutal.

Yet for some reason I keep watching. WTF. It's like I'm afraid the one week I don't watch, something cool will happen. Even though nothing cool has happened in like 12 years.

Although I have to admit, I loved Cena FU'ing Big Show a couple months back. And that was the last thing I really remember that impressed me.

McMahon's whole "God" bid almost did me in. And I'm an atheist. I can't imagine how religious people reacted to that shit.

Ceej
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Hopefully McMahon won't be too worried about going too far or too extreme since he'll be bringing back the ECW.

Man, some old school ECW was so enjoyable. I miss it, but, now since McMahon is controlling all of it I doubt it will be half as good as ECW really was.

ECW on TNN, was okay, but, when filtered, ECW is NOT good.

You're missing alot man, the last ECW PPV which WWE did run was absolutely insane. If you like "OHMYFNGOD" type matches and moves, then that PPV won't disappoint. If you pick up some extra money (I don't know how your income is, not a jab either) pick that PPV up.

The Tanaka/Awesome match and the main event make that purchase worthy and necessary.

I miss the Dudleyz when they were in WWE, they put on some great "hardcore" matches and I remember plenty of matches they had against the Hardys. They were unreal.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
The dudleys are in TNA as Team 3D right now, but it's not the same.

And not getting ppv's is almost entirely about my income at this point in time. I just can't justify the expenditure.

Ceej
05-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I bet not.

ECW Dudleyz > WWE Dudleyz > TNA Dudleyz.

They were the most entertaining tag team ever in ECW.

It makes sense about the PPV, definitely not a need, just a want.

Luckily for me, my stepdad is an avid wrestling fan and we get a PPV if it looks good.

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
I think I'd like them better in TNA if they had any name other than Team 3D. I mean, really, how f*cking lame can you get. How about next time take another 3 seconds and come up with something good.

Last TNA PPV had a match between the dudleyz and road dogg/billy gunn. I was thinking when I saw that just how great that would've been 6 or 7 years ago. Which is actually the problem with both WWE and TNA right now.

chief2000
05-25-2006, 10:49 AM
A terrible channel not about scifi anymore but about 'monster' horror movies on the CHEAP.

A pure deception this channel has always been.

How do we kick them off ?

keg in kc
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
A terrible channel not about scifi anymore but about 'monster' horror movies on the CHEAP.

A pure deception this channel has always been.

How do we kick them off ?I've been calling it the B-Movie Channel for years.

It amazes me that a channel that produces such horrible movies on a weekly basis can produce something like Battlestar Galactica. Although even the Stargates are entertaining, if taken for what they are.

Tribal Warfare
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Are they gonna have extraterrestrial wrestlers named the Martian Mangler, The Moonian Maniac,The Saturn Scorcher?

big nasty kcnut
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok here my two cents vince need to give ecw a little leeway to their type of matches. He have to cause that what the ecw fans expect. Plus i can't wait for the foley edge vs. funk and dreamer match that will be sick.

BigRock
05-25-2006, 04:39 PM
ECW!
ECW!
ECW!

Ceej
05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! :)

The Red Sea
05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Sooo first you have the Enhanced Sport idea "Extreme wrestling"
You toss in a dash of Weird concept.
Add a hint of Very Strange ideas...& you have what else?

THIS Izzz THE X-F-L!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still remember that night waiting with curiosity & as soon as Mc-Roidz Screamed that out on the Mic I knew it was going to be 100% complete Crap! & I was well wrong it was worse than Crap!

TrickyNicky
05-25-2006, 06:48 PM
One Night Stand was pretty good, and I hope they can do it again.

I'm enjoying Pro Wrestling NOAH and Dragon Gate from Japan as just for their ability to put on matches a lot more than WWE or TNA these days, even though I have no idea what anyone is saying.

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Sabu vs Sandman vs Tommy Dreamer.
I still get shudders watching that tape :eek:

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Even though nothing cool has happened in like 12 years....

... And that was the last thing I really remember that impressed me.

last thing that made me go wow
http://www.warriorcentral.net/wm6.html