PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Air Conditioning - car running hot

chagrin
05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't know jack about cars and my buddy at work has a Cavalier that is old,but the AC usually works better than the rest of it. When stopped, or idiling, the AC blows warm, but lately, whenever the AC is on the car runs hot - what's that, the thermostat? Or is it just time to get a new car?

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Sounds like the muffler bearings are shot.

JBucc
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you got a blown gasket. Yup. And you'll also need a new central internal defibalator. That'll be around $10,000. I take checks or cash.

Inspector
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
He needs to oil the fladgulator.

King_Chief_Fan
05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't know jack about cars and my buddy at work has a Cavalier that is old,but the AC usually works better than the rest of it. When stopped, or idiling, the AC blows warm, but lately, whenever the AC is on the car runs hot - what's that, the thermostat? Or is it just time to get a new car?

check the condensing coil for the blowing of non cold air

Check the thermostat and the relay that kicks the radiator fan on (they don't always run, only when needed) You will see the heat gauge indicator rise when idiling, but it shouldn't go past the "safe" area.

Fish
05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Put out a bowl of antifreeze.......

chagrin
05-25-2006, 10:45 AM
10k, that's all? I will tell him right away

jspchief
05-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Replace the thermostat. It's about a $5-10 part, and it's easy to install.

If that doesn't fix it, you can start looking at other things.

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 10:48 AM
The thermostat is NOT easy to replace on some cars. My van is an example. And if the car only runs hot when the AC is on it's not the thermostat anyway.

chagrin
05-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Thank you, you know - you'll never win grumpiest planeteer being all helpful and stuff

chagrin
05-25-2006, 10:51 AM
The thermostat is NOT easy to replace on some cars. My van is an example. And if the car only runs hot when the AC is on it's not the thermostat anyway.

Used to be, those older, you could unhook the hose that runs to the radiator and simply remove and replace...

AirForceChief
05-25-2006, 10:51 AM
First, get ballbearings and some forty wieght...

Chan93lx50
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I would say you might need to recharge the AC. If it only blows cold air when the car is moving it might be due to the fact that since the AC is low on coolant the pump needs to turn faster to create enough pressure to move the coolant through the system.

If the Car is getting hot make sure you coolant fan is engaging "See King Chief Fans post".

jspchief
05-25-2006, 11:00 AM
The thermostat is NOT easy to replace on some cars. My van is an example. And if the car only runs hot when the AC is on it's not the thermostat anyway.On 90% of Amercian cars, a thermostat is about as easy of repair as you can do.

And I also disagree with your second statement. Running your AC will work your engine harder thus making it run hotter.

I suggest thermostat because it's a cheap easy fix. I'd also check the coolant/antifreeze. After that, you can look deeper. You don't try to fix a headache with brain surgery until you've tried aspirin.

Iowanian
05-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Start with the thermostat, then check your belts while you're at it.

Flush the radiator when you do the thermostat.

IS there ever cold air? If not, you may need to get it charged.

chagrin
05-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Start with the thermostat, then check your belts while you're at it.

Flush the radiator when you do the thermostat.

IS there ever cold air? If not, you may need to get it charged.

It runs ice cold when the cars is moving forward, but when the car stops (red light, etc) the air blows warm and the car runs hot alot now

Brock
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I think King Chief's got it right. As far as the relay that turns your electric fan on.

C-Mac
05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
I would say you might need to recharge the AC. If it only blows cold air when the car is moving it might be due to the fact that since the AC is low on coolant the pump needs to turn faster to create enough pressure to move the coolant through the system.

If the Car is getting hot make sure you coolant fan is engaging "See King Chief Fans post".

Yes, the AC refrigerant is probably low and also make sure there is plenty of fluid in the radiator and electric fan is working also.

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 07:03 PM
On 90% of Amercian cars, a thermostat is about as easy of repair as you can do.

And I also disagree with your second statement. Running your AC will work your engine harder thus making it run hotter.

I suggest thermostat because it's a cheap easy fix. I'd also check the coolant/antifreeze. After that, you can look deeper. You don't try to fix a headache with brain surgery until you've tried aspirin.
That's right, running the AC will make the car run hotter. It has NOTHING to do with the thermostat.

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Used to be, those older, you could unhook the hose that runs to the radiator and simply remove and replace...
You didn't even have to unhook the hose on most older Chevys. Just remove two bolts, raise up the housing, hose and all, put in a new gasket and thermostat, replace the housing and bolts and Voila! But it isn't that way anymore. Now you have to remove all kinds of shit to even get to the housing.

savedin79
05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
plugged radiator

Earthling
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
You can usually check the thermostat by removing the radiator cap, starting the car, and then look into the radiator and see if the water starts circulating or not after it warms up.

Bwana
05-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Replace the thermostat, or change the blinker fluid.