PDA

View Full Version : David Glass given permission to interview Atlanta's Dayton Moore and Frank Wren

alnorth
05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Glass searching for new GM in Atlanta (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14660405.htm)

Well folks, I'm going to interpret this as good news. If you are going to hire a guy with no proven track record, then Atlanta is a pretty good place to look. This organization has been doing a lot of things right for a very long time. Dayton Moore oversees Atlanta's scouting and player development, Frank Wren is the club's VP and assistant GM. Both are probably in line for the Atlanta GM position some day, but they both obviously cant get that job.

My question is, would either of them be willing to accept if offered? You really don't have to accomplish much here, if the Royals were a .500 team in 4-5 years, you would be given all the credit as a miracle-worker, which could launch a career anywhere you want to go in baseball. If you fail, well.... it was KC, someone would give you another chance as an Assistant GM again somewhere.

Simplex3
05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I've interviewed people I knew full well I wouldn't hire in order to make a boss or customer happy, too.

Eleazar
05-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I think you said it all - they aren't going to be GM in Atlanta anytime soon and probably never expected to be. They probably expected to make a move like this - put in their time, then go to a team that was in need of a GM. Good teams are rarely looking for a new GM. If one of those guys wants to make their name, like Schuerholtz did here in the 80s, they need to find a bad team and build them into a good one.

Glass might have to overpay them a little bit, give total control, and/or make some concessions regarding his ridiculous budget to get them here. I'm all for all those things.

Pitt Gorilla
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Eh, might as well do it.

Eleazar
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I've interviewed people I knew full well I wouldn't hire in order to make a boss or customer happy, too.

:rolleyes:

htismaqe
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Didn't Allard Baird come from the Atlanta organization?

ChiTown
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Moore would be an EXCELLENT hire, but I can't believe he'd take this job. He turned down the Red Sox job last year..........

tk13
05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Didn't Allard Baird come from the Atlanta organization?
Err, not that I know of. Baird has been with the Royals organization since 1988. He's practically been a Royal for life... from back when Mr. K owned the team.

ChiTown
05-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Err, not that I know of. Baird has been with the Royals organization since 1988. He's practically been a Royal for life... from back when Mr. K owned the team.

Yep. Baird was hired, I believe, by Herk Robinson.

alpha_omega
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
What a f'ing mess!

StcChief
05-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Good luck with that...Glass spend a nickel on player talent... :rolleyes:

htismaqe
05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Yep. Baird was hired, I believe, by Herk Robinson.

Yep, he started in the minors.

For some reason, I thought there was a tie to Atlanta? :shrug:

Rooster
05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Eh, might as well do it.

That's what I think. Just do something, it can't get any worse.

Sure-Oz
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Well let's get the ball rollin here....Baird probably will be gone sometime after the draft i'd say!

ChiTown
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Note to David Glass:

If you are truely interested in overhauling the Royals Front Office, you might consider firing your son as well.

Dartgod
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Since we're on the subject of the Royals, they've scored six times in the bottom of the first, with back-to-back-to back homers by Brown, Graffanino and Berroa.

:eek:

htismaqe
05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Note to David Glass:

If you are truely interested in overhauling the Royals Front Office, you might consider firing your son as well.

Yep.

Rooster
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Note to David Glass:

I couldn't agree more. He is a huge problem. :banghead: