PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana use & lung cancer

Megbert
05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
MJ/Lung Cancer (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060524/hl_nm/marijuana_dc)

Study finds no marijuana link to lung cancer

By Deena Beasley Tue May 23, 9:40 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study results were presented in San Diego on Tuesday at a meeting of the American Thoracic Society.

The study was confined to people under age 60 since baby boomers were the most likely age group to have long-term exposure to marijuana, said Dr. Donald Tashkin, senior researcher and professor at the UCLA School of Medicine.

The results should not be taken as a blank check to smoke pot, which has been associated with problems like cognitive impairment and chronic bronchitis, said Dr. John Hansen-Flaschen, chief of pulmonary and critical care at the University of Pennsylvania Health System in Philadelphia. He was not involved in the study.

Previous studies showed marijuana tar contained about 50 percent more of the chemicals linked to lung cancer, compared with tobacco tar, Tashkin said. In addition, smoking a marijuana joint deposits four times more tar in the lungs than smoking an equivalent amount of tobacco.

"Marijuana is packed more loosely than tobacco, so there's less filtration through the rod of the cigarette, so more particles will be inhaled," Tashkin said in a statement. "And marijuana smokers typically smoke differently than tobacco smokers -- they hold their breath about four times longer, allowing more time for extra fine particles to deposit in the lung."

He theorized that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a chemical in marijuana smoke that produces its psychotropic effect, may encourage aging, damaged cells to die off before they become cancerous.

Hansen-Flaschen also cautioned a cancer-marijuana link could emerge as baby boomers age and there may be smaller population groups, based on genetics or other factors, still at risk for marijuana-related cancers.

I am sure in a year or so there'll be a study proving the exact opposite.

Katipan
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I took that as a blank check to smoke pot.

chagrin
05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
no shit, all the tar, cat piss and ammonia they shove in cigarettes is supposed to give one cancer, isn't that the point?

htismaqe
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Smoking pot is good for you. It always has been. And the more they study it trying to prove otherwise, the more futile they realize it is...

Katipan
smoke through a bong and you'll live forever!!11!

Taco John
Plus Marijuana has cooler names than cigarettes...

What would you rather smoke, Northern Lights Indica, or Kool Mentol Lights? Advantage: Pot

StcChief
05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Hansen-Flaschen also cautioned a cancer-marijuana link could emerge as baby boomers age and there may be smaller population groups, based on genetics or other factors, still at risk for marijuana-related cancers.

The long term data isn't in until the old hippies start checkin out.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
i know lots of over 55 potheads and the problems they are having arent from lung cancer or any cancer.
hep yes
cancer no

Brock
05-25-2006, 02:14 PM
i know lots of over 55 potheads and the problems they are having arent from lung cancer or any cancer.
hep yes
cancer no

I'm guessing the hep is from the other stupid shit they did.

chagrin
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, I root for you all to continue smoking pot, as much as you possibly can...please

Katipan
05-25-2006, 02:18 PM
I was going to wait until I had to go to work, but ok!

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing the hep is from the other stupid shit they did.

yep, and it was all the same little circle and they all got it.
but they all started w/ weed and booze,at what point it was ok to shoove a needle into themselves and mainline coke and herion is a mystery though i do know it was an older guy they looked up to that got it started.

StcChief
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
More interested in MJ only crowd long term effects.
No cigs.

That study group might be kinda small....

Katipan
05-25-2006, 02:26 PM
... I think I'm the only person I know that will smoke pot but not cigarettes.

StcChief
05-25-2006, 02:30 PM

I use to be that person long ago in college early twenties. No cigs.

DaFace
05-25-2006, 02:31 PM

Depends on your crowd. Of my pot-smoking friends, I only know a couple who smoke tobacco. That's not the norm, but there are a few out there.

Hammock Parties
05-25-2006, 02:33 PM

I smoked a cigarette once just to try it...never again.

I'd smoke some pot, though.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I smoked a cigarette once just to try it...never again.

I'd smoke some pot, though.

yeah but who would smoke it with you?

Hammock Parties
05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah but who would smoke it with you?

Whoever hooked me up. I'd never buy pot.

Taco John
05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
That's what they all say, until they realize how little a deal it actually is...

58-4ever
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM

I am that person. I've actually never had cigarette.

Katipan
05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
We should have our own state.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
i started smokin off and on when i was 12 and heavily from about 16-28ish and never smoked one cig.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 02:48 PM
We should have our own state.

i think its called Canada.

Dartgod
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Northern Lights Indica...
My eyes got red just reading that. :bong:

chiefsfaninNC
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM

I have always called it Enterprise.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
MJ/Lung Cancer (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060524/hl_nm/marijuana_dc)

By Deena Beasley Tue May 23, 9:40 PM ET

.:bong:No way dude....:bong:exhale, bummer.

NJ Chief Fan
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM

:) :) :) :)

speakin of smokin the "reefer"... last night i smoked out of some thing called a vaporizer...supposedly its suppose to be the cleanest high, it just burns the thc... but it destroyed my throat

Fish
05-25-2006, 03:03 PM

I'll bet there are quite a few more than you would think.... I know a bunch... including myself...

Katipan
05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I only know so many people, you know.

Donger
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I've never tried pot, or any other illegal drug.

StcChief
05-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Back in the day...everybody smoked cigs..and later on MJ. The folks that didn't some cigs were the exception.

I guess I shouldn' be surprised so many aren't smokin Cigs now. You will be that target group 30 years after the old hippie kick the bucket.

Otter
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM

Edit: that made more sense in me mellon...

Megbert
05-25-2006, 03:48 PM

speakin of smokin the "reefer"... last night i smoked out of some thing called a vaporizer...supposedly its suppose to be the cleanest high, it just burns the thc... but it destroyed my throat

My friend does it that way.

Hydrae
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
My wife gave up cigs about 8 years ago but still smokes pot. Actually, it was with the help of pot that she kicked the cigs. :)

BTW AZ, love the dancing Tauren in your sig. You play WOW?

Inspector
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
eh...putting any kind of smoke in your body is probably bad for ya.

But good grief. Quit using my money to lock people up for what they do to themselves. Damn, enough is enough.

Save the prisons for criminals.

Megbert
05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
My wife gave up cigs about 8 years ago but still smokes pot. Actually, it was with the help of pot that she kicked the cigs. :)

BTW AZ, love the dancing Tauren in your sig. You play WOW?
Yeah but haven't played in a while too busy at work. Got my Tauren Druid up to 60 have some other under 20 characters. It's fun but can take over your life if not careful. Probably got kicked outta my guild cause of my inactiveness.

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
So why did they pass a law against it in the first place? All they have found is that it has beneficial effects for some ailments. Shoot first, ask questions later. Real sensible. No wonder the gubment has no credibility.

Megbert
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
So why did they pass a law against it in the first place? All they have found is that it has beneficial effects for some ailments. Shoot first, ask questions later. Real sensible. No wonder the gubment has no credibility.

Back in the day it was considered a 'black drug' used by jazz musicians and that ilk. So can't have 'black' people turning 'white' people on to some MJ. Obviously there's a bit more to it but that is/was one factor.

elvomito
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Back in the day it was considered a 'black drug' used by jazz musicians and that ilk. So can't have 'black' people turning 'white' people on to some MJ. Obviously there's a bit more to it but that is/was one factor.
also, one documentary showed some of the misinformation/propaganda that led to the illegalization of MJ in 1937... it had to do with lazy illegal mexicans immigrant issues and black men gangbanging white women. seriously.here's some other interesting info: http://www.jackherer.com/

penchief
05-25-2006, 06:09 PM

Me neither. :bong:

Sybil
05-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Smoking pot is good for you. It always has been. And the more they study it trying to prove otherwise, the more futile they realize it is...

Sure seems to be the case, don't it?

teedubya
05-25-2006, 06:26 PM

I dont smoke tobacco cigarettes.

now you know two. :p

teedubya
05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
also, one documentary showed some of the misinformation/propaganda that led to the illegalization of MJ in 1937... it had to do with lazy illegal mexicans immigrant issues and black men gangbanging white women. seriously.here's some other interesting info: http://www.jackherer.com/

This was the propaganda they used to scare the depression era citizens. The real reason is DuPont, JD Anslinger and William Randolph Hearst.

They all had something to gain by HEMP, not MJ being illegal.

KC Jones
05-25-2006, 07:20 PM

That's a complete and total lie.

The best high and safest is from cooking with pot. My recipe? I had a top grinder (coffee bean grinder) that was dedicated for MJ. After deseeding and desteming, then grinding to a powder, I'd drop the powder into a crockpot with butter for a few hours. Use the pot butter for anything you want - pound cake requires lots of butter and works well.

I no longer partake, but that's how you do it kids.

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Haven’t read the thread yet, (kinda in the middle of rolling one :D )
Either way, I gave up cigarettes 9 1/2 weeks ago, I ain’t ready to give up anything else at this point :thumb:

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Whoever hooked me up. I'd never buy pot.
Go back to your kingdom melodies ya wuss :p

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Ya know it Dude! :thumb:

Hammock Parties
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Go back to your kingdom melodies ya wuss :p

ROFL

LOYAL LOVE
GOD IS LOVE

Over-Head
05-25-2006, 07:42 PM

The best high and safest is from cooking with pot. My recipe? I had a top grinder (coffee bean grinder) that was dedicated for MJ. After deseeding and desteming, then grinding to a powder, I'd drop the powder into a crockpot with butter for a few hours. Use the pot butter for anything you want - pound cake requires lots of butter and works well.

MMMmmmMMMM brownies anyone?
I suddenly have the munchies.....(laughs at screen for no reason)

Chan93lx50
05-25-2006, 08:39 PM
The only thing that worries about over doing pot is it can be a gateway drug!

The high is not strong enough so you move on to some other Drug that is toxic to your body, "Like Meth"

Otherwise pot is great to party with and to f*ck with. Just dont over do it fellas

elvomito
05-25-2006, 08:40 PM

those vaporizers are only the cleanest way to inhale... they don't even burn anything, just vapoorize

and you're also correct about the butter. that shit kicks ass... one or two oatmeal cookies will get you almost too toasted.
they've got pill kits for med use now, since many med users don't wanna feck their lungs... http://www.cannabrex.com/home.htm

Demonpenz
05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
whats harder on your body. Knocking back alot of vodka. Or one clean hit off of some KB

KC Jones
05-25-2006, 10:39 PM

The high is not strong enough so you move on to some other Drug that is toxic to your body, "Like Meth"

Otherwise pot is great to party with and to f*ck with. Just dont over do it fellas

Total BS. The gateway drug is a myth. If anything, putting out a bunch of crap saying pot is more dangerous than it is caused more 'gateway' harm than anything else.

That's like saying the high from drinking alcohol isn't enough so people move on to heroin.

J Diddy
05-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Total BS. The gateway drug is a myth. If anything, putting out a bunch of crap saying pot is more dangerous than it is caused more 'gateway' harm than anything else.

That's like saying the high from drinking alcohol isn't enough so people move on to heroin.

No shit, pot and meth are an entirely different high

elvomito
05-25-2006, 10:51 PM
ok then, tobacco is a gateway drug.
how many crackheads didn't start with cigs?

QuikSsurfer
05-25-2006, 11:00 PM

really??
i try to hit the volcano (vap) couple times a week.. i love the high - lasts so much longer than smoking it.

dj56dt58
05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I heard it was illegal because the government couldn't tax it. It makes sence because why would people buy taxable medication when they can just smoke weed for everything?

Inspector
05-26-2006, 05:49 AM

ROFL ROFL
Yep, I know a few people who have been working their way through the gateway for about 35 - 40 years. I'm convinced one of these days they'll finally move on to the meth, crack, heroin or whatever the next step is.

It's bound to happen......eventually. That's what the officials tell us, right?

Any day now...

Inspector
05-26-2006, 05:51 AM
I heard it was illegal because the government couldn't tax it. It makes sence because why would people buy taxable medication when they can just smoke weed for everything?

It's a money issue. MJ being illegal helps support a huge industry. Plus, I am convinced there is a segment of our society who have some sort of need to control others. They don't want anyone to control them, they just have a need to control what consenting adults do to their own bodies.

I know, it's weird.

BigChiefFan
05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
They really should do something about the prohibition of marijuana. The laws against it are ridiculous.

htismaqe
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM

When I was smoking pot heavily, there was a period of time where I didn't do ANYTHING else...no cigarettes, no beer, no other drugs, nothing...

Of course, there were other times when I could go through a pack of cigs, a case of beer, an eight-ball, and half an oz. of smoke, too...

58-4ever
05-26-2006, 11:08 AM

This is so right. In fact, I tried X, Coke, and Shrooms all BEFORE I ever tried pot believe it or not. Now, that's all I do and all I want to do.

Inspector
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
There are a lot of people who have fallen for the lies and myths surrounding this issue.

Been that way for many decades.

I doubt that will ever change.

Pennywise
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM
really??
i try to hit the volcano (vap) couple times a week.. i love the high - lasts so much longer than smoking it.

Is being high what motivated you to put a big pink dildo in your sig?

htismaqe
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM

We used to have an apparatus called the Annihilator.

It was a 750ml Erlenmeyer flask. We used medical tubing and attached an oxygen mask. You actually strapped the mask on your face and had someone light the contents.

QuikSsurfer
05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Is being high what motivated you to put a big pink dildo in your sig?
:ZZZ:

sedated
05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
we will never truly be free until pot-head persecution ends

RedDread
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
This calls for a celebration! It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time

PBJ PBJ PBJ P PBJ BJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana.php

RedDread
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
This calls for a celebration! It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana.php

sedated
05-26-2006, 12:24 PM
The best high and safest is from cooking with pot.

1. It takes a lot of pot,

2. It doesn't work very well with schwag,

3. 1 + 2 = Expensive,

4. and, IME, you will fall fast asleep afterward