PDA

View Full Version : I think I sprained or tore a muscle in my bicep...Big Daddy, I need you!

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I was doing bench and all the sudden I heard "pop."

It's hard to pinpoint where exactly it hurts, but it doesn't hurt bad. And it doesn't hurt when I flex either. But when I move my arm to the center of my body (like I'm doing butterflys) it hurts a little under the armpit. I see a little indention (I have like 5% body fat, so it's not hard to see) in the middle of the bicep starting by the shoulder. My other bicep doesn't have that.

What should I do? It only hurts, and not that bad, when I move my arm to the opposite side of my body. It doesn't really hurt when I flex though. Is it pulled or strained or what? Also, it doesn't hurt when I touch it.

Is this a big deal? This has never happened to me before when working out.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Uh oh, your saline implant burst.

And be wary about heading threads with anything like "Big Daddy, I need you!"

Hammock Parties
05-26-2006, 02:12 PM
5% body fat?

You stud.

BigRedChief
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
5% body fat?

You stud.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10501/gayness.jpg

chagrin
05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
With credit to Clint In Wichita:

Phobia
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
You should send a letter to Dave Szott. He has some experience in that regard.

Also, fwiw I have about 5% body muscle.

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I doubt you tore a muscle in your bicep. It would hurt a lot worse than you are saying. A strain maybe.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
also, fwiw I have about 5% body muscle.Don't give yourself too much credit, jellyroll.

Hammock Parties
05-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey man, Henry V was a fat **** and he could score poon like nobody's business.

Fish
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Working out huh? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

http://www.dailyhappypill.com/Images/single_man.jpg

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Working out huh? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

http://www.dailyhappypill.com/Images/single_man.jpg

hahaha...that's awesome

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2006, 03:05 PM
lol, guys.

I just looked it up. It's a first degree tear (sprain). I found out that the indention I saw is the torn part of the muscle. I almost passed out, lol.

Off to get some frozen peas in the fridge!!!!

chiefsfaninNC
05-26-2006, 03:10 PM
A torn muscle should give you more pain. Sounds to me like it is more likely tendon. That would explain the pop you heard as well. You should consider a trip to the doctor.

Mr. Laz
05-26-2006, 04:48 PM
lol, guys.

I just looked it up. It's a first degree tear (sprain). I found out that the indention I saw is the torn part of the muscle. I almost passed out, lol.

Off to get some frozen peas in the fridge!!!!

huh ... doctor???

Donger
05-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey man, Henry V was a fat **** and he could score poon like nobody's business.

Henry who?

Hammock Parties
05-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Henry who?

Sorry, I meant Henry VIII.

stevieray
05-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Henry who?

Henry V, well known for cruising for chicks in gay bars.

Died a virgin.

Hammock Parties
05-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Died a virgin.

They were called "Gay Inns" in his day.

stevieray
05-26-2006, 05:29 PM
They were called "Gay Inns" in his day.

Brokeback Inn.

BIG_DADDY
05-26-2006, 06:13 PM
It's hard to tell exactly what happened. You may have a partially torn pec/bi. The doctor won't do a damn thing for you except give you pain killers. I just tore ligaments in my ankle last Saturday sparring and still have swelling across the outside top part with discoloration. I heard the pop like you did as well. The fact that you don't have a lot of pain is good. Ice for 15 minutes every half hour as much as you can do it for the next 24-48 hours. Do not use heat in the short term as it will cause inflamation. DMSO will help a little especially if it is a muscle tear. The S in DMSO stands for sulfer which helps binds proteins when your body is making scar tissue. If it's a ligament you tore it will take substantially longer for it to heal. They say 6-8 weeks for my ankle but I am going back next week. I have been doing light stretching as well. BTW try to stay with dumbbells when doing chest and you will have a lot less injuries. Your shoulders will last a lot longer too. You're lucky you didn't hurt your rotator cuff. Hope this helps.

alanm
05-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Vicodin run!! :thumb: PBJ

redbrian
05-26-2006, 08:25 PM
A torn muscle should give you more pain. Sounds to me like it is more likely tendon. That would explain the pop you heard as well. You should consider a trip to the doctor.

Doubt if it’s a tendon, my experience is that blowing a tendon hurts like hell.

I was popping several pain pills a night just to sleep after shredding my Achilles.

It’s been about 3 months since I blew my Achilles and I’m about 90% (would probably be doing better if I would keep up with my physical therapy).

NewChief
05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds similar to a climbing injury I had. Damned thing just popped and I suddenly found myself falling, completely unable to maintain my hold. Luckily I was just bouldering so it wasn't much of a fall. Anyway, it was jacked up bad for 36 hours or so, then quickly got better. I was a little wary of putting too much torque on it for a while after that, but I recovered fully within a month or so.

PastorMikH
05-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I've had this happen before. What has happened is you had a lactic acid bubble that built up in the muscle tissue while you were working and the bubble failed to stay in the muscle tissue area (this is what causes cramps). Problem is, since the bubble has moved outside the muscle group, it will take a long time to dissipate. However, if you will go back to the gym and put on about 3x - 4x the amount of weight, and push really, really hard, you can sometimes force the lactic bubble into another muscle group.

Oh, BTW, don't use a spotter either, they tend to help at the wrong time and hinder the lactic bubble from moving.

Good luck.

Adept Havelock
05-26-2006, 08:52 PM

Died a virgin.
:hmmm: Puts a whole new slightly disturbing twist on the "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers" bit.

Thanks for ruining Shakespeare's St. Crispins Day speech for me with that one... ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks BD and guys. It doesn't hurt, that's what's weird. I can see a difference, though. In my right bicep, towards the shoulder, you can see and indention or a tear or something, in the left it looks normal. It really only stings a little when I move my arm across my body. How long til' I can work my arms again? Should I see the doctor, or just let it heal on it's own?

Dunit35
05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks BD and guys. It doesn't hurt, that's what's weird. I can see a difference, though. In my right bicep, towards the shoulder, you can see and indention or a tear or something, in the left it looks normal. It really only stings a little when I move my arm across my body. How long til' I can work my arms again? Should I see the doctor, or just let it heal on it's own?

If your insurence covers it I'd go let a doctor look at it just to be safe. You never know what it could be. You'd feel a lot better about it if you did. He will tell you when you should get back into it.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
If your insurence covers it I'd go let a doctor look at it just to be safe. You never know what it could be. You'd feel a lot better about it if you did. He will tell you when you should get back into it.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna see a doctor tomorrow to be safe. It really hasn't gotten any better, as far as the look of it. I worked out abs today, figuring my abs are not my arms so it wouldn't hurt my arms, lol. But I guess the only way it'd hurt my arms would be because you overall need to relax all your muscles I guess...

Sully
05-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Why would you go see a doctor when you've got guys in the internet that you've probably never met giving you solid gold advice?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Why would you go see a doctor when you've got guys in the internet that you've probably never met giving you solid gold advice?

ROFL

In a sense, though, it is good to do what I'm doing. This is a cheap way, before I go the other route. Although insurance will cover it, I hate going to the doctor because really all they do for things like this are "hmmm...we'll give you some pills, and that should do it."

Anyway, as far as the so-called "pain", that has went down a bit, even though it wasn't really much. It just looks the same as it did 3 or 4 days ago, that's imprompting me to go see a doctor, even though I really don't want to, but yet I really don't wanna be deformed, lol.