PDA

View Full Version : The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

KcMizzou
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
As per PC World. Numbers 1 and 2? AOL and RealPlayer.

Can't argue with that.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125772,pg,1,00.asp

Basileus777
05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Sony should have been #1. As bad as AOHell is, its not a fricken rootkit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Zip drives...I always hated those f*cktarded things.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Ahh, the CueCat, I have firsthand knowledge of those dumbass things as a former Radio$hack employee. Completely and utterly worthless, the company could not literally give them away.

Eleazar
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Realplayer sucks donkey balls.

Miles
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I figured this would turn up on that list somewhere.

Talisman
05-26-2006, 10:34 PM
ROB was awesome compared to the headache-inducing VirtualBoy.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/fe/ee/gameHardwareClassicConsolesAllNintendo_VirtualBoy-resized200.jpg

KC Jones
05-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I wonder if I still have my parellel port external zip drive around here? Back in the day it seemed like a godsend that something could actually hold 50MB of data and be re-writtable.

Baby Lee
05-27-2006, 06:23 AM
Ahh, the CueCat, I have firsthand knowledge of those dumbass things as a former Radio$hack employee. Completely and utterly worthless, the company could not literally give them away.
When you have 1200 CDs and a couple hundred DVDs, and a collection database program that can process the CueCat's input, the fact that you can pick those babys up for next to nothing is a Godsend.

EDIT:
Click-click-click. That was the sound of data dying on thousands of Iomega Zip drives. Though Iomega sold tens of millions of Zip and Jaz drives that worked flawlessly, thousands of the drives died mysteriously, issuing a clicking noise as the drive head became misaligned and clipped the edge of the removable media, rendering any data on that disc permanently inaccessible.

pb]Iomega largely ignored the problem[/b] until angry customers filed a class action suit in 1998, which the company settled three years later by offering rebates on future products. And the Zip disk, once the floppy's heir apparent, has largely been eclipsed by thumb drives and cheaper, faster, more capacious rewritable CDs and DVDs.
That's bullshit. I had a Zip 100 from the start, and it eventually developed the 'click of death' after about 6 years of use. Called customer service, they sent a voucher for me to mail the unit to them, and when they verified that was the problem, send me a new unit AND 30 blank discs on my word that that was how many I had that COULD be affected.

Baby Lee
05-27-2006, 06:29 AM
I wonder if I still have my parellel port external zip drive around here? Back in the day it seemed like a godsend that something could actually hold 50MB of data and be re-writtable.
I bought the USB Zip 750 MB like 5 minutes before blank CDs started selling for a nickle per 100-pack.
Who needs rewritable when you can write a new one for 1/10 of a penny.

KC Jones
05-27-2006, 06:38 AM
I bought the USB Zip 750 MB like 5 minutes before blank CDs started selling for a nickle per 100-pack.
Who needs rewritable when you can write a new one for 1/10 of a penny.

Ouch - just goes to show that you never know when your most recent tech expense was the final iteration before becoming obsolete.

Side note: the really cheap Cds are known to not hold up well over time, if you have important data (family pics, etc.) on them, you may want to look into archival quality media, or at least regularly burn new discs.

Baby Lee
05-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Ouch - just goes to show that you never know when your most recent tech expense was the final iteration before becoming obsolete.

Side note: the really cheap Cds are known to not hold up well over time, if you have important data (family pics, etc.) on them, you may want to look into archival quality media, or at least regularly burn new discs.
OTOH, I bought the Zip Drive in that golden era when you could surf around and find a bajillion coupons and gift certificate codes. Think I picked it up bundled with 3 750 MB discs for around $50-60 from Buy.com.

Boozer
05-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I had a Zip 100 from the start, and it eventually developed the 'click of death' after about 6 years of use.

Safe to say that this was after 1998?

Bugeater
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Heh, I find what they said about AOL rather amusing. I didn't buy an internet-capable PC until 2003 and of course, I didn't know any better and I signed up with AOL. It wasn't too long after when I started hearing all the grumbling about AOL being bad, so I switched to Earthlink.

For about a week.

The ****ing spam was so bad and I hated using Internet Explorer as well. And trying to get my Earthlink cancelled was like pulling teeth. I have no complaints about AOL. I also don't understand what they said about some of the internet being "walled off". I've never had trouble accessing anything.

banyon
05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow. This could be the worst idea I've ever seen for any product, ever:

http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/125772-digiscents.jpg

24. DigiScents iSmell (2001)
Few products literally stink, but this one did--or at least it would have, had it progressed beyond the prototype stage.

In 2001, DigiScents unveiled the iSmell, a shark-fin-shaped gizmo that plugged into your PC's USB port and wafted appropriate scents as you surfed smell-enabled Web sites--say, perfume as you were browsing Chanel.com, or cheese doodles at Frito-Lay.com. But skeptical users turned up their noses at the idea, making the iSmell the ultimate in vaporware.

listopencil
05-30-2006, 12:05 AM
I have no complaints about AOL.

How much do you pay a month for dial-up?

Bugeater
05-30-2006, 10:31 PM
How much do you pay a month for dial-up?
$23 for unlimited access.

Bob Dole
05-31-2006, 05:19 AM
AOL should top the list because it was the application that made it easy for idiots to flood the internet.

Skip should show up to blast the inclusion of WebTV any minute now...

Fish
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
$23 for unlimited access.

Ouch...... most places will give you broadband for cheaper than that....

Bugeater
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Ouch...... most places will give you broadband for cheaper than that....
Qwest broadband is around $40/mo if I'm not mistaken. I might be able to get it cheaper through Cox, but I'm still pissed at them for something they did to me 17 years ago. I believe I also have to upgrade my modem for that too, more $. I don't spend that much time on the internet.

Bugeater
05-31-2006, 08:45 PM
AOL should top the list because it was the application that made it easy for idiots to flood the internet.

Skip should show up to blast the inclusion of WebTV any minute now...
Doesn't that little http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/aim_icon.gif on Bob Dole's posts indicate that Bob Dole is an AOL user?

Miles
05-31-2006, 08:55 PM
Qwest broadband is around $40/mo if I'm not mistaken. I might be able to get it cheaper through Cox, but I'm still pissed at them for something they did to me 17 years ago. I believe I also have to upgrade my modem for that too, more $. I don't spend that much time on the internet.

Hunt around on the net for deals or call them up and play both companies against each other. Usually when you tell them you are thinking about switching but its too expensive, they will give you some kind of special.