PDA

View Full Version : How's the Weed in Canada?

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
TORONTO -- Ricky Williams has a new home in the CFL.

Williams signed a one-year, $240,0000 contract to play for the CFL's Toronto Argonauts this season.

Ricky Williams
Running Back
Miami Dolphins

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
168 743 6 17 93 0

Williams will not have an option with the team and will be able to return to the Dolphins next season.

The Argonauts signed suspended Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams on Sunday, making the announcement at an afternoon news conference.

Earlier in the day, Williams was shown on the Rogers Center videoboard at the White Sox-Blue Jays game wearing an Argonauts hat and was introduced as the team's newest player.

The holdup was finding a way to get around the CFL's contract structure. For players coming from the states, the CFL wants contracts that are one year in length but have a one-year option. Dolphins coach Nick Saban was only willing to let Williams, who is suspended from the NFL this season because of violations of the league's drug policy, play one CFL season and then come back to the Dolphins.

Leigh Steinberg, William's agent, spent four days in Toronto trying to work on the language changes on the contract. A satisfactory agreement was reached Sunday morning, and Steinberg quickly completed the one-year, $240,000 deal.

Williams will miss his second NFL season in the past three because of the fourth violation of the drug policy during his career. If he stays clean, he wants to play for the Dolphins in 2007 and the Dolphins definitely want him back. Williams did so well last year that Saban became a big supporter of the former University of Texas star.

The former first-round pick of the Saints won't be subject to drug testing by the CFL, a league that doesn't have a drug testing policy.

Williams still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million, but team may be willing to excuse a good portion of the money if he plays in the future. There has been talk Williams might do a book to raise some more cash this season.

He was only scheduled to make $585,000 for the Dolphins this year. His contract is tolled until next season because of the NFL suspension.

The Argonauts secured Williams' CFL rights when the running back was suspended for a year by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The team's training camp starts Sunday, and the team opens its regular season June 16.

Saban didn't confirm the signing, but issued a statement saying the team was leaving the decision to play in the CFL up to Williams. The Dolphins have supported Williams throughout the suspension, but insisted on assurances that he'd be allowed to return to the team in 2007 -- provided he's reinstated by the NFL.

"We expressed to Ricky our concerns about playing in Toronto in 2006," Saban said. "We are relying on assurances made by Ricky, his agent, the Toronto Argonauts, and the commissioner of the Canadian Football League that Ricky will return to the Dolphins in 2007.

"Based on these assurances and despite our concerns for Ricky playing in the CFL in 2006, we will leave it up to him to decide whether or not he will negotiate a contract to play for the Argonauts this year."

Williams' $240,000 contract with Toronto would easily make him the highest-paid running back in the league. He still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004.

The 29-year-old Williams rushed for 743 yards last year and averaged over 4 yards a carry with Miami.

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm sure Over-Head will answer that question in due time.

recxjake
05-28-2006, 03:19 PM
i wonder if he really has to pay that 8.6 million

DMAC
05-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Do Canadians watch football?

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 03:41 PM
http://tr.eltiempo.terra.com.co/blogs/imagenes_editor/Image/Dark Side/SouthPark4.jpg

Moooo
05-28-2006, 03:43 PM
If he stays clean, he wants to play... Isn't that a contradiction, it's not like someone's stuffing drugs down his throat in the middle of the night.

Moooo

Adept Havelock
05-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Largely Decriminalized.

DMAC
05-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I used to have a friend back in my teens that would drive to get it up there, so Ricky will be happy.

Spicy McHaggis
05-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Don't we all wish we could get suspended multiple times from our job for smoking weed, leave, go and make $240,000 somewhere else with the option of returning?

CanadianChief
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
The BC bud is superb

CanadianChief
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Do Canadians watch football?

Yes we do. I'm not really a CFL fan myself...I prefer watching my beloved Chiefs over the crappy Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Although I may have to go to a few more games this year to watch the Wizzinator play against Ricky "Sticky Icky" Williams.

Rain Man
05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm surprised that he can do that. Is his contract with the Dolphins null and void for the year? If not, it seems odd that he can go and play for another team.

NJ Chief Fan
05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
do they drug test in canada?

from what ive heard canadian bud is pretty good

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Here you go Ricky:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-652-3583/life_society/marijuana/clip7

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised that he can do that. Is his contract with the Dolphins null and void for the year? If not, it seems odd that he can go and play for another team.
It would be hard for them to keep the contract in force if they aren't paying him.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 05:42 PM
do they drug test in canada?

from what ive heard canadian bud is pretty good

There is no drug testing in the CFL.

The Poz
05-28-2006, 05:50 PM
The bud up here is grand! Nothin' better than rollin' up a few fatties during chiefs pre-game on Sundays then just taking the rest of the afternoon in stride.

I'll have to and check out Ricky a few times this year. I'm about a 15 min walk to the Rogers Center (where the Toronto Argo's play). Plus a good friend of mine is a die-hard Dolphins fan, I'm sure he'll be going to a bunch of games.

I'll also have to take Ricky here: http://www.roachorama.com/hotbox/
This place is up the street from my office. Taken lunch there a couple of times (a week!). :bong:

Demonpenz
05-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I thought you said the bud is a grand. I was like **** that shit

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
The bud up here is grand! Nothin' better than rollin' up a few fatties during chiefs pre-game on Sundays then just taking the rest of the afternoon in stride.

I'll have to and check out Ricky a few times this year. I'm about a 15 min walk to the Rogers Center (where the Toronto Argo's play). Plus a good friend of mine is a die-hard Dolphins fan, I'm sure he'll be going to a bunch of games.

This place is up the street from my office. Taken lunch there a couple of times (a week!). :bong:

ROFL, hemployees.

alanm
05-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Don't we all wish we could get suspended multiple times from our job for smoking weed, leave, go and make $240,000 somewhere else with the option of returning?
To get off topic for a moment I advocate testing for cause on the job. As to preemployment I'm totally against it. I believe it violates the 4th and 5th amendments.

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
They have cofee houses in Vancouver but you have to bring your own, they only sell seeds.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Hmm. Maybe I need to transfer to Toronto. You guys get BC buds there?

Predarat
05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
240,000/yr = 20,000/mo less taxes = 10,000
500 rent
250 utils
500 car
10000-1250 = 8,750 to buy weed with. Not a bad gig for Ricky!