PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers is on the History Channel

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Great series. Second part is just starting. Just thought I'd let those know who are interested.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
thanks man, might check it out. :clap:

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
thanks man, might check it out. :clap:

It's really a great series. I must admit, I am a bit biased - it's my old unit. If you like realistic war flicks, this is the one for you. Seems fitting to watch it on Memorial Day weekend. Hats off to the Screamin' Eagles.

CanadianChief
05-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I borrowed the complete series off my buddy from work and watched it again not too long ago....great series.

jspchief
05-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Great tribute for Memorial Day weekend. IMO it's the best mini-series ever put on television, and also one of the best war stories put on film.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Great tribute for Memorial Day weekend. IMO it's the best mini-series ever put on television, and also one of the best war stories put on film.

I agree. Even better than Saving Private Ryan which was excellent if a bit overdramatized.

JBucc
05-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I've seen the whole thing like three times but I still can't stop watching it.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 05:32 PM
I can't wait until tomorrow. Washington: The Warrior is gonna be on. I bet that kicks ass.
On a side note, the significance of Carentan is that my old unit made the last successful bayonet charge in US history. Ballsy.

jspchief
05-28-2006, 05:47 PM
This 3rd episode (Carentan) is the worst of the group IMO. Not sure who directed it, but I don't care for this one.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I liked this mini series but I thought The Civil War was better.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
The best episode is the one about Bastogne.

Dunit35
05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I agree CHIEF4EVER. I own the set and I've watched the entire thing probably three times.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Bastogne episode on now. You really gotta take your hat off to the GIs that made it through that. Tough dudes. No quit in em.

KChiefs1
05-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Everytime I see "Band of Brothers" I'm just thankful it was that generation that did it because I have doubts about any of the generations that followed that one.

DJay23
05-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Everytime I see "Band of Brothers" I'm just thankful it was that generation that did it because I have doubts about any of the generations that followed that one.
If I could be transported back to any era in American History it would be the WWII years. THat truly was the greatest generation. They had to face down a great evil and they succeeded with dignity and grace. Their cause was just.

I love that the 101st insists that they didn't need to be "rescued" as so many historians claim Patton did for them.

beavis
05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I've seen the whole thing like three times but I still can't stop watching it.
Me either. I've seen it three or four times probably, but I'm convinced I'll be just as drawn to it the hundredth time I watch it.

Adept Havelock
05-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Great miniseries. I've seen it before, but don't get tired of it. Thanks for the tip.

Only down side was I had to DVR a couple of episodes and watch "A Bridge Too Far" (possibly my favorite WW2 film) after Easy Company rescued the Red Devils from Arnhem after the debacle that was Market-Garden. Up too late, too many pints. Hangovers, you can't live with 'em, and you can't amputate your head.

Only Monty would have had the balls to call a clusterf**k like Market Garden a 90% success. :cuss:

DJay23
05-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Great miniseries. I've seen it before, but don't get tired of it. Thanks for the tip.

Only down side was I had to DVR a couple of episodes and watch "A Bridge Too Far" (possibly my favorite WW2 film) after Easy Company rescued the Red Devils from Arnhem after the debacle that was Market-Garden. Up too late, too many pints. Hangovers, you can't live with 'em, and you can't amputate your head.

Only Monty would have had the balls to call a clusterf**k like Market Garden a 90% success. :cuss:
Maybe back then. Bush has been doing it for 3 years now.

banyon
05-29-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm watching it now too. Thanks for the reminder thread.

I already missed Bastone though. That episode is my favorite.

Sully
05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Can't...
Stop...
Watching...

I was watching a little with the future FIL yesterday and it was fascinating watching the show while at the same time listening to his stories of Vietnam.

KChiefs1
05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
anyone have BoB on DVD? Are there a lot of special features on it?

jspchief
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
anyone have BoB on DVD? Are there a lot of special features on it?I borrowed it from my FiL and the only extra I remember was a documentary where they showed more of those interviews that are at the beginning of each episode. It's interviews with the real life people that are characters in the series.

That alone was enough. But there may have been much more in terms of extras/ I'm not really into DVD extras, so I don't really recall what all was in there.

old_geezer
05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
anyone have BoB on DVD? Are there a lot of special features on it?

Bonus features includes:

80 minute documentary "We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company."
30 minute "Making of Band of Brothers" featurette
Interactive "Field Guide" featuring timelines, maps, soldier profiles and other information.

One of the most prized DVD's in my collection. I recommend it to anyone interested in WWII.