PDA

View Full Version : Bittorent help

BWillie
05-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm an idiot, and I can't figure out how to get Bittorent to work. I downloaded it from www.bittorent.com. When I go to download a movie or something it downloads in like 10 seconds, and obviously plays nothing. What is the best way to download with bittorent and where/how do I do it? I'm sorry this isn't more of a descriptive post.

JBucc
05-28-2006, 06:46 PM
You have to click on the thing it downloads to start downloading the actual video.

BWillie
05-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I still don't understand. I search thru the bittorent software and then it sends me to search results via my web browser firefox. From there on I have no idea what to do. I've tried right clicking and seeing if I could open with a program and to try using bittorent but I don't see that option.

Hammock Parties
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Torrents are not media files.

Use azureus to open the torrent file, and your media file will then start downloading to the location you choose.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

theultimatekcchiefsfan
05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I have tried several and never could figure them out. Until this one. Super easy. Just download the torrent.
Click the file you downloaded and it should work for you.

HINT> Always download the file to the folder where your torrents are. Downloading to your desktop wont work.

Small file. Nothing installs. Zipped.

Utorrent.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I still don't understand. I search thru the bittorent software and then it sends me to search results via my web browser firefox. From there on I have no idea what to do. I've tried right clicking and seeing if I could open with a program and to try using bittorent but I don't see that option.

The file that bittorent sends you to is like a marker. It's not the file itself. You have do download that little "marker" in the folder you want your torrent to eventualy be downloaded into. Then double-click on the "marker" that you downloaded. Bittorrent will launch and (depending on what settings you have picked) a dialog box will come up asking you where you want to save the file. Pick the location and Bittorrent goes to work. It may take a long time to download or it may go very quickly, there are some variables involved. I tend to just minimize the Bittorrent window after it is set up and go do other stuff.

jspchief
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I have tried several and never could figure them out. Until this one. Super easy. Just download the torrent.
Click the file you downloaded and it should work for you.

HINT> Always download the file to the folder where your torrents are. Downloading to your desktop wont work.

Small file. Nothing installs. Zipped.

Utorrent.I would second Utorrent. I've used several different different bit torrent clients, and Utorrent is by far the mosty user friendly that I've dealt with.

Reaper16
05-29-2006, 06:07 PM
I would second Utorrent. I've used several different different bit torrent clients, and Utorrent is by far the mosty user friendly that I've dealt with.
Simply because I don't care to install Itorrent blind, how does it compare to BitComet? (The only torrent client I sparingly use)

jspchief
05-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Simply because I don't care to install Itorrent blind, how does it compare to BitComet? (The only torrent client I sparingly use)Itorrent? Was that a typo for Utorrent?

If so, I'd say Bitcomet is good too. I prefer the interface of Utorrent a little, but not for any tangible reasons, It just has a familiar feel. Compared to old ones like Torrentstorm both are solid.

StcChief
05-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I like Azureus. Java based nice tunable options for up/down speeds, monitoring etc.

azureus.sourceforge.net/

QuikSsurfer
05-30-2006, 10:55 AM
i keep it simple w/tomato torrent

theultimatekcchiefsfan
05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Supposedly utorrent uses less sysytem resourses than the other ones, especially source hog Azureus.

BWillie
06-01-2006, 02:20 AM
So what are the chances I'm gonna go to jail from downloading torrents? These things rule, I can download anything I want. My roommate told me 4% of heavy torrent users get caught and fined up to 10G's

jspchief
06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
So what are the chances I'm gonna go to jail from downloading torrents? These things rule, I can download anything I want. My roommate told me 4% of heavy torrent users get caught and fined up to 10G'sWell, if you're a heavy user, I'd say your chances are about 1 in 25.

StcChief
06-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Supposedly utorrent uses less sysytem resourses than the other ones, especially source hog Azureus.

Yeah. I've started noticing if multiple download/upload it really takes over the memory etc. But can be throttled with parameter tweeking.
I was considering switching....

I will give utorrent (u = micro I guess after electronics symbol for micro
?)

I was happy before with Rufus earlier version. Python based tool.
rufus.sourceforge.net/

SLAG
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah. I've started noticing if multiple download/upload it really takes over the memory etc. But can be throttled with parameter tweeking.
I was considering switching....

I will give utorrent (u = micro I guess after electronics symbol for micro
?)

I was happy before with Rufus earlier version. Python based tool.
rufus.sourceforge.net/

μTorrent is the best

you will be happy with it..

THE BEST is μTorrent

I just like putting μ in the post so here..

μμμμμμμμμμ

yeah μtorrent rocks

StcChief
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
μTorrent is the best

you will be happy with it..

THE BEST is μTorrent

I just like putting μ in the post so here..

μμμμμμμμμμ

yeah μtorrent rocksLOL

Well I guess that settles it, uTorrent rocks....:)

sounds like a face off with my crappy Centurytel DSL

uTorrent vs. Rufus

:p

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 11:19 AM
if you go with uttorrent make sure you get version 1.5 or later

also make sure you use peerguardian too

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-02-2006, 11:57 PM
if you go with uttorrent make sure you get version 1.5 or later

also make sure you use peerguardian too

Thanks, just installed. anything we should know about this. Settings, etc. Do you run Tor with Privoxy as well or is that just overkill?

Mr. Laz
06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks, just installed. anything we should know about this. Settings, etc. Do you run Tor with Privoxy as well or is that just overkill?
tor is too slow to run for anything but quick stuff.

not really any special settings ... Tools < perference will show you a bunch of various categories.

i had a problem with the Random port setting ... so i just changed it to 1 particular random number and left it on that so i could open that specific port for my router.

update peer guardian on a regular basis.

also on the Network tab in the settings you can change the number of torrents and number of connection per torrent etc. These things can really help speed up your transfer rate.

oh you might wanna enable outgoing protocol encryption and legacy connections on the network tab.

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Torrents are not media files.

Use azureus to open the torrent file, and your media file will then start downloading to the location you choose.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Brilliant. Genious.

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 09:06 PM
okay Hey Go Chiefs. How can I burn a CD off media player "streaming?" I have a Dell with a writer on it....

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
okay Hey Go Chiefs. How can I burn a CD off media player "streaming?" I have a Dell with a writer on it....

Isnt there something on winamp.com to d-load?

Hammock Parties
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM

I dunno WTF you're talking about. I just burn stuff to disks with Nero Burning Rom. Handy program. Just drag and drop and click and burn.

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I dunno WTF you're talking about. I just burn stuff to disks with Nero Burning Rom. Handy program. Just drag and drop and click and burn.

I believe it is called a stream-ripper. But never mind if you dont know WTF I am talking about. Thanks anyway though.

Mr. Laz
06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I believe it is called a stream-ripper. But never mind if you dont know WTF I am talking about. Thanks anyway though.
http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=9538-1&affiliate=24187

http://www.xi-soft.com/download.htm