PDA

View Full Version : Another Joe Pos article - it's just sad

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Check out the whole article in today's Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14691121.htm

I think this quote from Johnny Damon says it all. Something has to be done to save the Royals.

“The Royals were my team,” he said. “That was the team I rooted for growing up. I continue to root for them. I want to see them pull out of this. … It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.” :(

Spicy McHaggis
05-29-2006, 10:23 AM

I think this quote from Johnny Damon says it all. Something has to be done to save the Royals.

“The Royals were my team,” he said. “That was the team I rooted for growing up. I continue to root for them. I want to see them pull out of this. … It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.” :(

Johnny Damon is a walking pile of douche. When someone gives up the opportunity to be a legend in a town to become just another of archrival Steinbrenner's lackeys, well they're a huge pussy who only care about money.

Edit: Also isn't Damon on record saying that he is glad he got the **** out of KC? Because when he left that's when he became a "rockstar" or some bullshit.

teedubya
05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks for posting the link or the article, Chiefan00b.

Damon lucky he escaped Royals’ world
JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

* Previous columns

NEW YORK — Johnny Damon stood in front of his locker and answered pointed questions about why the New York Yankees almost lost to the Royals. The Yankees did not almost lose, in truth, but the Royals did come back to lose by just one run, and that scandal had the New York media hopping.

“What happened, Johnny?”

“What did they do?”

“How could you guys start off so hot and then stop scoring?”

“It’s a different world, isn’t it?” Johnny said to me.

Yes, a different world. Here he was defending a victory. Six years ago, he was in the Kansas City world, and he cherished victories the way people cherish grandchildren. He grumbled about low payrolls, he talked about the future, he hoped against hope for that magical season.

Yeah, for Damon, that was quite a few hairstyles ago. Now, he’s a sensation and a traitor, an Emperor and an Idiot, a best-selling author and World Series champ, a $13 million-per-year star and the center fielder where DiMaggio and Mantle played.

Kansas City seemed a far-off place.

“I’ve only heard bits and pieces of what’s going on over there,” Damon said.

I tried to fill him in a little bit. Sunday was another banner day for the Royals. The word going around baseball was that Dayton Moore had taken the Royals’ general manager’s job. The rumors were flying from so many directions that the Royals’ current general manager, Allard Baird — who still has not heard from owner David Glass — was hesitant to do his Sunday radio show. But when he called Kansas City to find out what was going on, he was unable to reach anybody. So, being the classiest man around, Baird came to the ballpark and did the show in the Yankees visitor’s clubhouse.

Damon could not help but snicker and shake his head when told that the Royals are trying to hire a new general manager without firing their old general manager or even talking to him. Then he grew serious. Allard Baird was the scout who signed him.

“The Royals were my team,” he said. “That was the team I rooted for growing up. I continue to root for them. I want to see them pull out of this. … It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.”

He remembered the moment when it looked bright. That was in 2000. The Royals’ outfield was Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye.

“One of the best outfields of the last decade,” Damon said, and he was right.

That year, Mike Sweeney drove in 144 runs. Joe Randa drove in 106. The Royals led the American League in batting average. They even had a couple of promising young pitchers. Baird, who was widely respected throughout the game, became general manager.

Everything still seemed possible then.

What went wrong? Everything. But Damon did not live through that. He was traded December of that year when it became clear the Royals could not afford him. The truth was Damon was scared — scared of being stuck on a bad team while all of his teammates and friends went away.

“They weren’t going to keep all of us together,” he said. “They weren’t going to open up the pocketbooks.”

Damon, of course, went on to bigger things — he became an Idiot, he appeared on the David Letterman Show, he led off for the first Red Sox team to win the World Series in 80 years. Damon became one of the most famous players in baseball.

He kept an eye on the Royals. He watched them disintegrate from afar. Dye was traded. Beltran was traded. Payroll was slashed. Young players floundered. The Royals lost 100 games, two years later did it again, the next year they did it again, this year they’re the worst in baseball with nobody close. Damon talked often to Sweeney, who had stayed to suffer through constant injuries and a million losses.

The talks hurt him. Damon felt more than empathy. For him, those calls were like a visit from the ghost of baseball’s past. Damon is convinced that had he stayed, that would have been his life. Instead, he left, and now he’s the leadoff hitter for the New York Yankees.

“What does it say about this team that after a tough loss to the Royals on Friday, you were able to come back and take the next two?” someone asked Damon.

“We’re a good team,” he said. He looked around the clubhouse, which was filled with about $200 million worth of players. Alex Rodriguez walked to the back room. Derek Jeter ate. Gary Sheffield and Randy Johnson got dressed.

“I mean, look around,” Damon said. “We have five or six, maybe eight or nine Hall of Famers. I mean, that’s not a bad team to be around.”

A couple of reporters wrote that down, and I could not tell whether they caught the sarcasm. Probably not. It’s a different world, this New York Yankees world, where any player can be bought, where Ruth and Gehrig and Yogi are always in people’s thoughts, where you can’t kick a bucket of sunflower seeds without hitting three or four All-Stars. Once you’ve been conditioned to this world, you can’t even understand a team like the Royals, a team with no money, collapsing history, bewildered ownership and despondent fans.

Johnny Damon understood.

“I see it, and I feel sad,” he said.

Then he tried to explain to more reporters why the Yankees did not beat the Royals by 20 runs. After that he headed to the plane and a baseball team that matters. He did not look back.

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I tried to fill him in a little bit. Sunday was another banner day for the Royals. The word going around baseball was that Dayton Moore had taken the Royals’ general manager’s job. The rumors were flying from so many directions that the Royals’ current general manager, Allard Baird — who still has not heard from owner David Glass — was hesitant to do his Sunday radio show. But when he called Kansas City to find out what was going on, he was unable to reach anybody. So, being the classiest man around, Baird came to the ballpark and did the show in the Yankees visitor’s clubhouse.

Un****ingbelievable. Baird couldn't reach anybody? I refuse to believe Glass had anything to do with Wal-Mart's success and was just a figurehead there. How else can you explain what has happened to this organization? The man is incompetent.

It has become an embarrassment to Major League Baseball, and the league office needs to step in here.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 10:43 AM
thanks for posting the link or the article, Chiefan00b.

Damon lucky he escaped Royals’ world
JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

* Previous columns

NEW YORK — Johnny Damon stood in front of his locker and answered pointed questions about why the New York Yankees almost lost to the Royals. The Yankees did not almost lose, in truth, but the Royals did come back to lose by just one run, and that scandal had the New York media hopping.

“What happened, Johnny?”

“What did they do?”

“How could you guys start off so hot and then stop scoring?”

“It’s a different world, isn’t it?” Johnny said to me.

Yes, a different world. Here he was defending a victory. Six years ago, he was in the Kansas City world, and he cherished victories the way people cherish grandchildren. He grumbled about low payrolls, he talked about the future, he hoped against hope for that magical season.

Yeah, for Damon, that was quite a few hairstyles ago. Now, he’s a sensation and a traitor, an Emperor and an Idiot, a best-selling author and World Series champ, a $13 million-per-year star and the center fielder where DiMaggio and Mantle played.

Kansas City seemed a far-off place.

“I’ve only heard bits and pieces of what’s going on over there,” Damon said.

Damon could not help but snicker and shake his head when told that the Royals are trying to hire a new general manager without firing their old general manager or even talking to him. Then he grew serious. Allard Baird was the scout who signed him.

“The Royals were my team,” he said. “That was the team I rooted for growing up. I continue to root for them. I want to see them pull out of this. … It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.”

He remembered the moment when it looked bright. That was in 2000. The Royals’ outfield was Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye.

“One of the best outfields of the last decade,” Damon said, and he was right.

That year, Mike Sweeney drove in 144 runs. Joe Randa drove in 106. The Royals led the American League in batting average. They even had a couple of promising young pitchers. Baird, who was widely respected throughout the game, became general manager.

Everything still seemed possible then.

What went wrong? Everything. But Damon did not live through that. He was traded December of that year when it became clear the Royals could not afford him. The truth was Damon was scared — scared of being stuck on a bad team while all of his teammates and friends went away.

“They weren’t going to keep all of us together,” he said. “They weren’t going to open up the pocketbooks.”

Damon, of course, went on to bigger things — he became an Idiot, he appeared on the David Letterman Show, he led off for the first Red Sox team to win the World Series in 80 years. Damon became one of the most famous players in baseball.

He kept an eye on the Royals. He watched them disintegrate from afar. Dye was traded. Beltran was traded. Payroll was slashed. Young players floundered. The Royals lost 100 games, two years later did it again, the next year they did it again, this year they’re the worst in baseball with nobody close. Damon talked often to Sweeney, who had stayed to suffer through constant injuries and a million losses.

The talks hurt him. Damon felt more than empathy. For him, those calls were like a visit from the ghost of baseball’s past. Damon is convinced that had he stayed, that would have been his life. Instead, he left, and now he’s the leadoff hitter for the New York Yankees.

“What does it say about this team that after a tough loss to the Royals on Friday, you were able to come back and take the next two?” someone asked Damon.

“We’re a good team,” he said. He looked around the clubhouse, which was filled with about $200 million worth of players. Alex Rodriguez walked to the back room. Derek Jeter ate. Gary Sheffield and Randy Johnson got dressed.

“I mean, look around,” Damon said. “We have five or six, maybe eight or nine Hall of Famers. I mean, that’s not a bad team to be around.”

A couple of reporters wrote that down, and I could not tell whether they caught the sarcasm. Probably not. It’s a different world, this New York Yankees world, where any player can be bought, where Ruth and Gehrig and Yogi are always in people’s thoughts, where you can’t kick a bucket of sunflower seeds without hitting three or four All-Stars. Once you’ve been conditioned to this world, you can’t even understand a team like the Royals, a team with no money, collapsing history, bewildered ownership and despondent fans.

Johnny Damon understood.

“I see it, and I feel sad,” he said.

Then he tried to explain to more reporters why the Yankees did not beat the Royals by 20 runs. After that he headed to the plane and a baseball team that matters. He did not look back.

Umm, I wasn't interested in posting the entire article. I want to talk about the Damon quote so get the sand out of your Vag and relax.

noa
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Johnny Damon is a walking pile of douche. When someone gives up the opportunity to be a legend in a town to become just another of archrival Steinbrenner's lackeys, well they're a huge pussy who only care about money.

He's got kids to feed and bills to pay.

teedubya
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Umm, I wasn't interested in posting the entire article. I want to talk about the Damon quote so get the sand out of your Vag and relax.

Ok, dipshit... then dont name the thread... "Another Joe Pos article - it's just sad"

Name it... [johnny damons quote about the Royals]

either that, or follow board etiquette and post the link or the article that you reference. Or find a new hobby, cuz posting on a BB isnt your strong suit, yet.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 10:48 AM

Edit: Also isn't Damon on record saying that he is glad he got the **** out of KC? Because when he left that's when he became a "rockstar" or some bullshit.

Give the guy a break. You can't blame a man for trying to improve his lot in life. He obviously made the right choice. Would you really of wanted him to stay without a commitment from the Royals to keep the likes of Randa, Beltran et al? The reality is the Royals have shown NO interest in winning baseball for a long long time.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 10:50 AM

So you're saying that Damon wasn't a "legend" in Boston? Or in NY? Are you out of your mind? Book deals, Lettermen, World Series ring - do you honestly think all of that would happen in Kansas City had he stayed?

The Royals are quite possible the worst-run franchise in the history of sports and play in a city that doesn't care about them. If given the choice, why would anyone CHOOSE to stay there?

“It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.”

This is exactly how the other owners in MLB feel about the Royals and the Glass family (as I alluded to back in April). The Royals are in even worse shape than I thought when it's well known that the players feel the same way about the Royals as do the owners.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok, dipshit... then dont name the thread... "Another Joe Pos article - it's just sad"

either that, or follow board etiquette and post the link or the article that you reference. Or find a new hobby, cuz posting on a BB isnt your strong suit, yet.

LOL, ok your the master poster and I'm new at it quite the life skill you've got there my friend. Jesus.

VonneMarie
05-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't that make him a puddle? ROFL

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
If damon stayed he'd be getting all the bullshit that sweeney gets even if he wasnt injured.

teedubya
05-29-2006, 11:26 AM

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14691121.htm

There you go, thats a good n00b.

DJJasonp
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud]So you're saying that Damon wasn't a "legend" in Boston? Or in NY? Are you out of your mind? Book deals, Lettermen, World Series ring - do you honestly think all of that would happen in Kansas City had he stayed?

It worked for Buddy Biancalana.....

beavis
05-29-2006, 11:34 AM

I wish I was as cool as you.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud]So you're saying that Damon wasn't a "legend" in Boston? Or in NY? Are you out of your mind? Book deals, Lettermen, World Series ring - do you honestly think all of that would happen in Kansas City had he stayed?

It worked for Buddy Biancalana.....

I assume you're joking, right?

Halfcan
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Un****ingbelievable. Baird couldn't reach anybody? I refuse to believe Glass had anything to do with Wal-Mart's success and was just a figurehead there. How else can you explain what has happened to this organization? The man is incompetent.

It has become an embarrassment to Major League Baseball, and the league office needs to step in here.

I saw it coming when Glass bought the team. He was horrible at Wal-mart. He has destroyed this team beyond repair. The should just fold the club. Seriously-they embarass the whole city.

A new GM won't help, only a new owner.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 11:52 AM
There you go, thats a good n00b.

"cause I'm KU douche, douche..douche douche douche da da da, da da da dahhhhh

Sung to the tune of the KU fight song

KevB
05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Damon is an a$$hole for the way he publicly treated his ex-wife (wife at that time) and mother of his kids. If he was laying on the side of the road, I wouldn't stop to help.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Damon is an a$$hole for the way he publicly treated his ex-wife (wife at that time) and mother of his kids. If he was laying on the side of the road, I wouldn't stop to help.
what did he do to his wife?

i know his new wife is some hottie.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 11:58 AM

That's the way it works sometimes. More bucks, fame, equals new wife. It happens all the time.

58-4ever
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM

He basically threw her under the bus and trashed her in his book. Way worse than what the Chiefs PR machine is doing to Vermeil.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
So you're saying that Damon wasn't a "legend" in Boston? Or in NY? Are you out of your mind? Book deals, Lettermen, World Series ring - do you honestly think all of that would happen in Kansas City had he stayed?

The Royals are quite possible the worst-run franchise in the history of sports and play in a city that doesn't care about them. If given the choice, why would anyone CHOOSE to stay there?

“It’s sad, but they just kind of want to sit there now and collect revenue sharing.”

Dane:

How about I give you a reason to call Johnny Damon a douche? I've even recounted the story here before...

Several years back when I was still living in NC, my wife had brought the kids back to KC to visit family. One night she decided to take my son to see the Royals. As luck would have it, my son caught a foul ball off the bat of Damon...(you would have thought it came from the Mick)...my wife asked one of the ushers if she could get the ball signed for my son so he could take it to "show & tell" at school. The usher explained that he couldn't help her, but she could try and see if she could catch Damon as he came out of the clubhouse. They waited for some time and when Damon finally came out she asked him to sign the ball for my son (even explaining that my son had Aspergers and it would mean a great deal to him). Damon explained that he was in a hurry and couldn't stop to sign the ball...but curiously, he had enough time to stop and converse with the hot young blonde who he spied in the crowd (he actually chatted with her for about 15 minutes).

Fortunately for my wife, Buck O'Neill happen to see what had transpired and came over and chatted with my wife and spent 20-30 minutes chatting with my son about baseball. Then he signed a baseball for him to take home.

I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for anything Johnny Damon signed or hit these days...and not because he left the Royals. But sitting proudly on the mantle my son and I share is a beautifully mounted baseball signed by one of the most gracious baseball men I have ever encountered this side of Frank White....Buck O' Neill.

m:mad:dog

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Damon is so overrated. He's a good player, but no better than David DeJesus. If I am not mistaken, DeJesus had a higher OPS than Damon last year.

He's certainly not worth his salary to any team except NY.

That being said, I don't understand the Damon hatred.

SPchief
05-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Damon is so overrated. He's a good player, but no better than David DeJesus. If I am not mistaken, DeJesus had a higher OPS than Damon last year.

I'd say thats a little bit of a reach.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 12:26 PM

If Dejesus can put up Damon like numbers i'll be real happy! I highly doubt he will, esp in the SB category!

StcChief
05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
This just sums up Glass.......to a tee.

The Walmart way.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 12:31 PM

I think my story pretty well sums it up for me...

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd say thats a little bit of a reach.

Damon had an .804 OPS last year, and a .785 OPS this year. DeJesus also had an .804 OPS last year. DeJesus's problem is that he can't stay healthy, in the minors or majors. If he could, I'd rather had DeJesus's next three years than Damon's, even at the same pay.

Johnny Damon is hardly a superstar. His career-best OPS is .877. His arm sucks.

Damon is a consistent .800 OPS guy with speed. That is worth a lot in today's game. I'm not saying he sucks, but he is in no way a "franchise player".

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I wish I was as cool as you.

ROFL

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 12:38 PM
If Dejesus can put up Damon like numbers i'll be real happy! I highly doubt he will, esp in the SB category!

Numbers such as runs scored and RBIs...no way...but numbers that are meaningful like OPS, he'd at least be Damon's equal if he could stay healthy (which, unfortunately, appears to be his downfall).

OPS is about the only thing that matters on offense. Steals are nice, but you have to have an exceptionally high success rate for them to be a positive.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Dane:

How about I give you a reason to call Johnny Damon a douche? I've even recounted the story here before...

Several years back when I was still living in NC, my wife had brought the kids back to KC to visit family. One night she decided to take my son to see the Royals. As luck would have it, my son caught a foul ball off the bat of Damon...(you would have thought it came from the Mick)...my wife asked one of the ushers if she could get the ball signed for my son so he could take it to "show & tell" at school. The usher explained that he couldn't help her, but she could try and see if she could catch Damon as he came out of the clubhouse. They waited for some time and when Damon finally came out she asked him to sign the ball for my son (even explaining that my son had Aspergers and it would mean a great deal to him). Damon explained that he was in a hurry and couldn't stop to sign the ball...but curiously, he had enough time to stop and converse with the hot young blonde who he spied in the crowd (he actually chatted with her for about 15 minutes).

Fortunately for my wife, Buck O'Neill happen to see what had transpired and came over and chatted with my wife and spent 20-30 minutes chatting with my son about baseball. Then he signed a baseball for him to take home.

I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for anything Johnny Damon signed or hit these days...and not because he left the Royals. But sitting proudly on the mantle my son and I share is a beautifully mounted baseball signed by one of the most gracious baseball men I have ever encountered this side of Frank White....Buck O' Neill.

Gee, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry for you and your son but no where in the MLB Rulebook does it state that players must sign baseballs or be "good guys".

I could really care less about someone off the field or court in any sport. But I seem to be in the minority here, especially regarding players who play or have played for any Kansas City associated team.

That being said, Haggis stated that Damon was "douche" because of his decision to leave KC, not because of any personal contact with him. THAT I find truly ridiculous.

kcxiv
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I dont really care if a player signed anything for me as a kid or not. I got rejected hardcore by Mark McGwire when he was with oakland. I just said **** you and got one from Canseco and Dave Parker. If they sign it fine, if not, oh well. Its no big deal really.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
You know the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome. It was obvious to Damon (and the others who left) that the Royals weren't going to pony up the $$ to make the team competitive. If you assume Damon wanted to win a World Series then he had to leave. I submit the only players left on the Royals roster right now are players that don't command the money to go anywhere else (like Sweeney) those who aren't good enough (like Jimmy Gobble) sprinkled in with a few heartless losers who are just collecting a paycheck. So what if Damon is/was a d***? he was our d*** and the Royals just let him go.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Damon sucked at tv commercials too

SPchief
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Numbers such as runs scored and RBIs...no way...but numbers that are meaningful like OPS, he'd at least be Damon's equal if he could stay healthy (which, unfortunately, appears to be his downfall).

OPS is about the only thing that matters on offense. Steals are nice, but you have to have an exceptionally high success rate for them to be a positive.

Uhh, last time I checked, Runs scored AND RBI's were pretty meaningful stats

beavis
05-29-2006, 12:54 PM
"cause I'm KU douche, douche..douche douche douche da da da, da da da dahhhhh

Sung to the tune of the KU fight song
Watch out now, if you aren't careful, HC will neg rep you and put a bunch of Gheyhawks on your rep screen.

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Watch out now, if you aren't careful, HC will neg rep you and put a bunch of Gheyhawks on your rep screen.

Thanks for the warning Beavis. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I enjoy squabbling with Hawk fans. Most of the true blue and crimson types get so upset they can barely make it to the Plaza to buy a new Polo.

By the way did you know that 15% of all Gayhawk fans wet the bed?

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I think mother nature must be a gayhawk fan cause she sure is pissin all over kc right now

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Uhh, last time I checked, Runs scored AND RBI's were pretty meaningful stats

But...obviously they are dependent upon the rest of your lineup. OPS is not. It is a measure of individual contribution.

Brock
05-29-2006, 01:16 PM
That being said, Haggis stated that Damon was "douche" because of his decision to leave KC, not because of any personal contact with him. THAT I find truly ridiculous.

I thought he was intimating that Damon was a douche for leaving Boston, not KC.

Who in their right mind would WANT to play for the Royals?

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Gee, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry for you and your son but no where in the MLB Rulebook does it state that players must sign baseballs or be "good guys".

I could really care less about someone off the field or court in any sport. But I seem to be in the minority here, especially regarding players who play or have played for any Kansas City associated team.

Dane:

Sorry, but that first paragraph is nothing but a very lame excuse for letting a guy off....all you have to do is look at all of the guys who do take the time to appreciate the public and know that it's just another "me,me,me" spoiled athlete showing his ass.

The only good thing that comes out of something like this...karma always comes back to bite you in the ass.

The "good guys" are out there....and they know that courtesy dictates serving the public that, in the factual state, pays their salary. I don't expect the athlete to give up their personal life...I would never approach an athlete if they are out with family; or out eating lunch with a friend...and I realize it happens all the time. But the fact is, the fans give these players a 'public forum' to sell their talents and they do owe something to their fan base. If that fan base dissipates, then so do the salaries...all you have to do is look at KC to see evidence of that.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 01:31 PM
The last 4 royals games i went to only like 3 total players signed, the rest went off about their business...bastards!

We got auto's/pics from sweeney every night as well as Affeldt and Gueil. Considering the royals have ANY fans im suprised by the lack of signings or atleast stoppin to take a pic. It took them maybe 10 min to do it too.

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I think my story pretty well sums it up for me...

Just because he didnt sign a ball for your kid?

ChiefaRoo
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
The last 4 royals games i went to only like 3 total players signed, the rest went off about their business...bastards!

We got auto's/pics from sweeney every night as well as Affeldt and Gueil. Considering the royals have ANY fans im suprised by the lack of signings or atleast stoppin to take a pic. It took them maybe 10 min to do it too.

Did Sweeney break his hand signing?

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Dane:

Sorry, but that first paragraph is nothing but a very lame excuse for letting a guy off....all you have to do is look at all of the guys who do take the time to appreciate the public and know that it's just another "me,me,me" spoiled athlete showing his ass.

The only good thing that comes out of something like this...karma always comes back to bite you in the ass.

The "good guys" are out there....and they know that courtesy dictates serving the public that, in the factual state, pays their salary. I don't expect the athlete to give up their personal life...I would never approach an athlete if they are out with family; or out eating lunch with a friend...and I realize it happens all the time. But the fact is, the fans give these players a 'public forum' to sell their talents and they do owe something to their fan base. If that fan base dissipates, then so do the salaries...all you have to do is look at KC to see evidence of that.

m:mad:dog********

Well, I don't know how a 13 million dollar a year contract and World Series ring is karma payback.

I honestly think that you have unrealistic expectations of people, especially athletes, if you think that they should live their lives in the manner of which you speak. I guess all the paparrazi in L.A. is okay too, because the likes of Paris Hilton and Brad Pitt should be front page news?

The "public" does NOT pay athletes their salary. Television pays their salary. And MOST people couldn't give a rat's ass about an autograph. The only thing that an athlete "owes" to a fan is entertainment. Plain and simple.

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Damon had an .804 OPS last year, and a .785 OPS this year. DeJesus also had an .804 OPS last year. DeJesus's problem is that he can't stay healthy, in the minors or majors. If he could, I'd rather had DeJesus's next three years than Damon's, even at the same pay.

Damon is a consistent .800 OPS guy with speed. That is worth a lot in today's game. I'm not saying he sucks, but he is in no way a "franchise player".

He's a superstar on the Royals. The guy had a good bat, combined with great speed, he's healthy most of the time. He in my opinion is one of the best leadoff men in the MLB. What has David DeJesus done?

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, I don't know how a 13 million dollar a year contract and World Series ring is karma payback.

I honestly think that you have unrealistic expectations of people, especially athletes, if you think that they should live their lives in the manner of which you speak. I guess all the paparrazi in L.A. is okay too, because the likes of Paris Hilton and Brad Pitt should be front page news?

The "public" does NOT pay athletes their salary. Television pays their salary. And MOST people couldn't give a rat's ass about an autograph. The only thing that an athlete "owes" to a fan is entertainment. Plain and simple.

Bingo.

Athletes dont owe fans anything. Barry Bonds doesnt owe anyone anything. There out there to do their job. They're people just like us that want to go home after work to see their families, for the most part. IMO if fans dont like that they can stop going to the games.

beavis
05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the warning Beavis. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I enjoy squabbling with Hawk fans. Most of the true blue and crimson types get so upset they can barely make it to the Plaza to buy a new Polo.

By the way did you know that 15% of all Gayhawk fans wet the bed?
ROFL

I like this guy already.

Miles
05-29-2006, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't call him a superstar either but he is defintily a solid all-star caliber CF. The problem with only looking at OPS for a leadoff hitter is the SLG component of it. It favors home runs, which are not that important for a leadoff hitter.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Dane:

Karma payback can happen at anytime....not sure where I posted that it had to happen immediately, but evidently you assumed that.

The rest of your post is nothing more than an apology for overpaid ahtletes....and I guess I should have expected that considering your prevouis posted stances on other topics like royalties and the Internet.

I have no "unrealistic" expectations...well, maybe in your eyes.

As for your incorrect statement about TV paying salaries. please refer back to that Econ 101 class that I am sure that you took somewhere. But let's get it real simple here....

1) I don't show up at the stadium...no revenue for the team, whether it be in KC, Cincy, New York, Philadelphia or LA. Empty stadiums mean no money coming in.

2) I don't buy that overpriced jersey....there's another loss of revenue..

3) I quit watching the YES network, or the RSPN and advertisers fall by the wayside because they want their ads where the paying public is watching....

Truth be told....the fans DO pay the salary. To suggest otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Bingo.

Athletes dont owe fans anything. Barry Bonds doesnt owe anyone anything. There out there to do their job. They're people just like us that want to go home after work to see their families, for the most part. IMO if fans dont like that they can stop going to the games.

If you're going to MU while you are here in Columbia, you might want to check with Dr. Clark....ask him how sports and $$ contributed from Alum help support the college.

VonneMarie
05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Because he's an overrated dirty DOUCHEbag @$$hole. :mad:

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
If you're going to MU while you are here in Columbia, you might want to check with Dr. Clark....ask him how sports and $$ contributed from Alum help support the college.

What you said has nothing to do with my statement. What I meant was an ahtlete has no obligation to sign anything from anybody while walking out to his car after a game or wherever he may be, regardless if you waited after hours to personally wait for him.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
If Damon played for a team like the Royals, or anything where there isnt any other superstar around him, he wouldnt be jack shit. Just like sweeney. That 2000 season, i dont see how they lost as many as they did and didnt freakin make the playoffs... They were ****ing insane on the offensive side of the game.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
What you said has nothing to do with my statement. What I meant was an ahtlete has no obligation to sign anything from anybody while walking out to his car after a game or wherever he may be, regardless if you waited after hours to personally wait for him.

Sounds like your an apologist too.....

Are these guys someone special that we should expect less than courtesy from them? I didn't expect Damon to do anything more than being honest....he told my wife that he didn't have time, but yet he had time to pick out the blonde from the crowd he wanted to take home.

At the very least be honest and say "I don't want to sign the baseball" I would rather pick up on a hot chick and take her home.

We've made bloated egos and pompous asshats out of these people....and yes we are probably to blame for that. You can apologize for them all you want, but being rude to the fans is inexcuseable.

mmaddog

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Dane:

Karma payback can happen at anytime....not sure where I posted that it had to happen immediately, but evidently you assumed that.

The rest of your post is nothing more than an apology for overpaid ahtletes....and I guess I should have expected that considering your prevouis posted stances on other topics like royalties and the Internet.

I have no "unrealistic" expectations...well, maybe in your eyes.

As for your incorrect statement about TV paying salaries. please refer back to that Econ 101 class that I am sure that you took somewhere. But let's get it real simple here....

1) I don't show up at the stadium...no revenue for the team, whether it be in KC, Cincy, New York, Philadelphia or LA. Empty stadiums mean no money coming in.

2) I don't buy that overpriced jersey....there's another loss of revenue..

3) I quit watching the YES network, or the RSPN and advertisers fall by the wayside because they want their ads where the paying public is watching....

Truth be told....the fans DO pay the salary. To suggest otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

Wow. You and I are without a doubt, on the opposite side of the fence. I truly cannot understand a person that believes that the refusal to sign an autograph would lead to "bad karma". Your expectations are absolutely ridiculous. And the fact that this event weighs so heavily into your life and your thinking is truly sad, IMO.

Regarding your numbered points:

1)All of the large market teams derive more than 80% of their revenues from television contracts. The Yankees make over 100 million dollars per season in local contracts alone. Do you honestly think that they make even half that much at the gate? To suggest so is ludicrous. Even if the Royals sold out every home game every season, their payroll would not increase significantly. The reason that the Royals have a low payrolls is because they don't have Television money. Period. Television pays salaries. If there were no television contracts, salaries would be as they are for minor league teams.

2)What's overpriced to you isn't necessarily overpriced to anyone else. I was in Manhattan just last week, and saw plenty of Yankees and Mets jerseys, along with hats and other merchandise on everyday normal people. It's very obvious that New Yorkers have pride in their baseball team and they obviously put a premium on supporting their team. That being said, the idea of merchandising falling to the wayside is ridiculous as well. Your supposed "argument" has no merit.

3)Again, it's ludicrous to suggest that New Yorkers will quit watching the Yankees or Mets. I would suggest that it's the same in most of other baseball markets as well. Again, this is so freakin' hypothetical and implausible that it's not even worth addressing.

At no time have I made an APOLOGY for anyone, whatsoever. The fact is that I'm a REALIST and expect nothing from anyone, especially an athlete or celebrity. These people aren't your FRIENDS. They provide entertainment and it's really sad to see that you don't understand that fact.

In addition, I do not know exactly what you're referring to in this statement "and I guess I should have expected that considering your prevouis posted stances on other topics like royalties and the Internet." What exactly is your point and what are you trying to say?

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
In addition, I do not know exactly what you're referring to in this statement "and I guess I should have expected that considering your prevouis posted stances on other topics like royalties and the Internet." What exactly is your point and what are you trying to say?

I'll take this one first....

Whenever the controversy brewed with downloading of songs from the Internet, you sided with the Bands...and vigourously defended them.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll take this one first....

Whenever the controversy brewed with downloading of songs from the Internet, you sided with the Bands...and vigourously defended them.

Duh. I side with the people who actually created the art are entitled to their rightful monetary compensation, not thiefs who obtained such works unlawfully.

Are you saying that I'm wrong? In your world, you're entitled to autographs at your disposal as well as being entitled to free works of art?

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Wow. You and I are without a doubt, on the opposite side of the fence. I truly cannot understand a person that believes that the refusal to sign an autograph would lead to "bad karma". Your expectations are absolutely ridiculous. And the fact that this event weighs so heavily into your life and your thinking is truly sad, IMO.

This one next....

Go back and re-read the story before you start throwing around the words ridiculous and sad.....but let me help you here.

I could give a rats-ass about getting an autograph for myself quite frankly..I have major opinions on the spoiled MLB players these days..but this is my son...a young boy afflicted with Asperger's Autism. We weren't asking for a signed baseball so that we could sell it on the Internet....we weren't asking for him to stop and chat with him for any length of time and take precious time away from his busy life.

Whether or not you want to agree, all these Major Leaguers owe something back...these guys didn't just suddenly get the talent overnight from the "Talent Fairy".

As for the karma part....you're making a big deal out of a small side comment...unless of course you really do believe that for all the bad things you do, there is an equal and opposite positive thing that happens to you.

If anything is ridiculous or sad, it is your belief that we shouldn't expect something more than the privilege of their presence in our world to brighten it.

mmaddog

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 04:08 PM
This one next....

Go back and re-read the story before you start throwing around the words ridiculous and sad.....but let me help you here.

I could give a rats-ass about getting an autograph for myself quite frankly..I have major opinions on the spoiled MLB players these days..but this is my son...a young boy afflicted with Asperger's Autism. We weren't asking for a signed baseball so that we could sell it on the Internet....we weren't asking for him to stop and chat with him for any length of time and take precious time away from his busy life.

Whether or not you want to agree, all these Major Leaguers owe something back...these guys didn't just suddenly get the talent overnight from the "Talent Fairy".

As for the karma part....you're making a big deal out of a small side comment...unless of course you really do believe that for all the bad things you do, there is an equal and opposite positive thing that happens to you.

If anything is ridiculous or sad, it is your belief that we shouldn't expect something more than the privilege of their presence in our world to brighten it.

mmaddog

As I said earlier, I feel sorry for you and your son. But I do not believe that athletes or entertainers of any sort owe anyone more than entertainment. Is it sad that this is what's become of those people? I guess that's a matter of opinion. Is it sad that I'm so cynical in your eyes? I would guess that comes from living in a big city and learning the hard way not to rely on anyone else.

I wish you and your family no ill will, but I do find it unrealistic for you to expect that a 20-something, multi-millionaire athlete would have any sympathy for you and your plight.

Mosbonian
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Regarding your numbered points:

1)All of the large market teams derive more than 80% of their revenues from television contracts. The Yankees make over 100 million dollars per season in local contracts alone. Do you honestly think that they make even half that much at the gate? To suggest so is ludicrous. Even if the Royals sold out every home game every season, their payroll would not increase significantly. The reason that the Royals have a low payrolls is because they don't have Television money. Period. Television pays salaries. If there were no television contracts, salaries would be as they are for minor league teams.

2)What's overpriced to you isn't necessarily overpriced to anyone else. I was in Manhattan just last week, and saw plenty of Yankees and Mets jerseys, along with hats and other merchandise on everyday normal people. It's very obvious that New Yorkers have pride in their baseball team and they obviously put a premium on supporting their team. That being said, the idea of merchandising falling to the wayside is ridiculous as well. Your supposed "argument" has no merit.

3)Again, it's ludicrous to suggest that New Yorkers will quit watching the Yankees or Mets. I would suggest that it's the same in most of other baseball markets as well. Again, this is so freakin' hypothetical and implausible that it's not even worth addressing. ?

Let's get real about something...trying to pick out approximately 6 teams from MLB and trying to prove your points is ridiculous. Let's look at all the other franchises...you know the ones that are struggling. Take away any revenue and pretty soon you see the equivalent of "musical chairs" for BB teams...looking for a home when they can no longer support a franchise.

While you seem so sure that most of the other baseball markets are so sound you have short term memory loss about Washington (Senators not the Nationals), Montreal, Milwaukee, Seattle (not the Mariners, but the Pilots), KC (no not the Royals, the A's), and Florida (sinking slowly and surely).

You seem to forget that revenue from the TV contracts come from advertising...do I think it will disappear from NY...no....but that doesn't help most of the other franchises.

mmaddog

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Let's get real about something...trying to pick out approximately 6 teams from MLB and trying to prove your points is ridiculous. Let's look at all the other franchises...you know the ones that are struggling. Take away any revenue and pretty soon you see the equivalent of "musical chairs" for BB teams...looking for a home when they can no longer support a franchise.

While you seem so sure that most of the other baseball markets are so sound you have short term memory loss about Washington (Senators not the Nationals), Montreal, Milwaukee, Seattle (not the Mariners, but the Pilots), KC (no not the Royals, the A's), and Florida (sinking slowly and surely).

You seem to forget that revenue from the TV contracts come from advertising...do I think it will disappear from NY...no....but that doesn't help most of the other franchises.

mmaddog*******

How many other franchises are struggling financially? The Florida Marlins dumped salary because no one in Miami cares about baseball. They support Miami Hurricane Football, Miami Dolphin football, the Heat and NHL but don't give a damn about MLB. That's not valid.

Regarding the Sens, Pilots and A's, this is a MUCH different marketplace than it as in the 60's, wouldn't you agree? Over 30 years have passed and television rights are astronomical as compared to then. Again, not a valid comparision.

The teams that are struggling financially are the teams that don't have competitive television contracts. Why is that? Fan apathy. No one cares about the Royals. They have the cheapest seats in all of MLB and they can't fill the stadium. The fans say it's because the team is horrible. The team says it can't be competitive in today's market because of television and lack of revenue sharing. It's a never ending circle.

I've said this in earlier threads this year and will say it again. The next CBA will have a salary floor, not a salary cap. Teams like the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc. are sick of funding the Royals so that they can have a $30 million dollar payroll, only to watch them make $20 million.

The large market teams don't need the Royals. The Royals NEED the large market teams JUST TO SURVIVE. And when fan apathy (which seems to have hit an all time low) reaches rock bottom, MLB will step in with a solution. And it won't be pretty.

Spicy McHaggis
05-29-2006, 04:37 PM

No I didn't. Here's what I said.

"When someone gives up the opportunity to be a legend in a town to become just another of archrival Steinbrenner's lackeys, well they're a huge pussy who only care about money."

I'm referencing the fact that Damon could have been a legend in Boston, the town in which he helped bring a World Series for the first time in many, many years. And the fact that he is a douche for walking away from BOSTON to play for BOSTON'S archrival the Yankees, the team that was directly related to the curse Damon helped break.

I didn't mean he was a douche for leaving KC. The way things were starting to turn, I would have too.

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Sounds like your an apologist too.....

Are these guys someone special that we should expect less than courtesy from them? I didn't expect Damon to do anything more than being honest....he told my wife that he didn't have time, but yet he had time to pick out the blonde from the crowd he wanted to take home.

At the very least be honest and say "I don't want to sign the baseball" I would rather pick up on a hot chick and take her home.

We've made bloated egos and pompous asshats out of these people....and yes we are probably to blame for that. You can apologize for them all you want, but being rude to the fans is inexcuseable.

mmaddog

Since when should his priorities concern you? If I saw a hot chick that I could take home (granted Im single) I would say srew your son and get that chick before someone else does. Thats just the way it works. As I said b4, athletes dont owe the fans anything, they only provide their entertainment during that game, nothing else. Why should he or anyone else take time out of their schedule to please you? I know that sounds mean but seriously, why?

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 04:48 PM
If Damon played for a team like the Royals, or anything where there isnt any other superstar around him, he wouldnt be jack shit. Just like sweeney. That 2000 season, i dont see how they lost as many as they did and didnt freakin make the playoffs... They were ****ing insane on the offensive side of the game.

Pitching.

CoMoChief
05-29-2006, 04:52 PM
FROM MMADDOG

".my wife asked one of the ushers if she could get the ball signed for my son so he could take it to "show & tell" at school. The usher explained that he couldn't help her, but she could try and see if she could catch Damon as he came out of the clubhouse. They waited for some time and when Damon finally came out she asked him to sign the ball for my son (even explaining that my son had Aspergers and it would mean a great deal to him). Damon explained that he was in a hurry and couldn't stop to sign the ball."

So you asked him to stop and chat you say?