PDA

View Full Version : Washington: The Warrior is on the History Channel.

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
This ought to be a good show.

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Interesting. Dude was fairly tall (6'3", 190). Also didn't realize he was a 5th generation Virginian. His family must have been one of the first families to settle there.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Interesting. Dude was fairly tall (6'3", 190). Also didn't realize he was a 5th generation Virginian. His family must have been one of the first families to settle there.

Not at all.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm a 9th generation Virginian, descended from a man who came over from Scotland in the very early 1700's.

cdcox
05-29-2006, 07:46 PM
My wife had an ancestor on the Mayflower.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Have you guys ever looked up her info on genealogy websites? One of my paternal aunts was into it and kept track for a long time, she traced it back to the first one of us to enter the country. I picked it up on the internet and traced my family name all the way back to its origin in Scotland of the early 1200's. It's pretty fun if you have an unusual last name.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 07:51 PM
The History Channel does a great job of marketing programming like this.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 07:53 PM
This ought to be a good show.

Saw it advertised and forgot. Thanks!

Coach
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM
It's a good show.

The Longest Day is on Turner Classic Movies channel.

AustinChief
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM
oh oh oh I got ya beat... my great great etc etc etc grandfather came over in 1632 to Milford Connecticut.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:04 PM
oh oh oh I got ya beat... my great great etc etc etc grandfather came over in 1632 to Milford Connecticut.

Bragging Bastard!

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:05 PM

Some of my ancestors were Vikings.

Noob.

cdcox
05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Have you guys ever looked up her info on genealogy websites? One of my paternal aunts was into it and kept track for a long time, she traced it back to the first one of us to enter the country. I picked it up on the internet and traced my family name all the way back to its origin in Scotland of the early 1200's. It's pretty fun if you have an unusual last name.

One her relatives put together a book that traces the geneology from the Mayflower relative as well as some other early relatives. I don't think it goes back to the old country.

R&GHomer
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
One her relatives put together a book that traces the geneology from the Mayflower relative as well as some other early relatives. I don't think it goes back to the old country.

If she has a unique enough name you should really give it a try. You can find some really cool stuff.

Skip Towne
05-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Noob.
My ancestors could whip your ancestors.

Wa-Z
05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
The Heat - Pistons game is on.

Forget Washington...

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:12 PM

Noob.

Your mom came over last night with her Viking hat on. She brought her family tree break down to. Thank her for me.

R&GHomer

I've had family members try before, but it gets real fuzzy after my great grandfather. When he was being processed at Elis "sp" island they used the phonetic spelling of his last name. Making it very difficult to figure out exactly were in Italy my family originated.

Simply Red

Now that's funny!!

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM

Forget Washington...

GO HEAT BABY!!

Kerberos
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM

I got an ancestor that was at the last supper. Top That!

:D

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM

800 AD - 1050 AD

Viking Age, longships, trade and conquest, runic inscriptions, voyages of discovery, Leif Eiriksson discovers America.

My ancestors probably beat the living shit out your ancestors and took all of their stuff.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I've had family members try before, but it gets real fuzzy after my great grandfather. When he was being processed at Elis "sp" island they used the phonetic spelling of his last name. Making it very difficult to figure out exactly were in Italy my family originated.

That's too bad. I got pretty lucky as I was able to find the actual individual who was given our family name at birth.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:16 PM
That's too bad. I got pretty lucky as I was able to find the actual individual who was given our family name at birth.

SOURCE?

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:21 PM
SOURCE?

I knew our family was from Scotland so I googled it and found our clan. My family is a Sept of the Morrison clan with a fairly distinct name and I was able to trace that name back to a child that was born in the West Hebrides from a Norwegian father and a Scottish mother. The father was a member of the royal family and records had been kept.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:24 PM
I knew our family was from Scotland so I googled it and found our clan. My family is a Sept of the Morrison clan with a fairly distinct name and I was able to trace that name back to a child that was born in the West Hebrides from a Norwegian father and a Scottish mother. The father was a member of the royal family and records had been kept.

Okay. That is good. Have not found nearly the details with my last name.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:28 PM

Forget Washington...

SICK SHOT BY WADE!

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Okay. That is good. Have not found nearly the details with my last name.

I suffered through mispronunciations and misspellings my entire life but it finally paid off.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
I suffered through mispronunciations and misspellings my entire life but it finally paid off.

Ahh. I see.

Simply Red
05-29-2006, 08:32 PM

Have you made it overseas yet?

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Have you made it overseas yet?

You mean Scotland? No. I want to head over there at least once before I die.

Skip Towne
05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
I got an ancestor that was at the last supper. Top That!

:D

I was at the Last Supper.

listopencil
05-29-2006, 08:36 PM
I was at the Last Supper.

Yeah, I remember. Next time leave a tip you cheap bastard.

banyon
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Cool. Just learned that the French general who helped us out at Yorktown was named Rochambeau!

rochambeau

Take that Cornwallis!

Adept Havelock
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, Washington is one of my personal heroes, and one of, if not the greatest man our nation produced. We wouldn't be a nation without him.

Did the documentary happen to mention that the "Warriors" record in the Revolutionary War was 2-9-1? Or that he insisted on taking several hundred soldiers that could have been far more effective hiding behind trees and "bushwacking", and forced them to fight in dressed lines as the British did?

How about his tactical expertise at Fort Necessity? A military leader who builds a fortification in a dry riverbed, surrounded on three sides by high ground with excellent cover? Who has to evacuate this position when a freak rainstorm threatens to drown his troops and ends up surrendering to the French, and still manages to be remembered as a hero of the French and Indian War? :hmmm:

In deference though, while misguided as a military tactician, he did manage to hold the army together in the face of overwhelming odds. Oh yeah, and along the way, become the Father of my Country. :thumb:

banyon
05-29-2006, 10:08 PM
How about his tactical expertise at Fort Necessity? A military leader who builds a fortification in a dry riverbed, surrounded on three sides by high ground with excellent cover? Who has to evacuate this position when a freak rainstorm threatens to drown his troops and ends up surrendering to the French, and still manages to be remembered as a hero of the French and Indian War? :hmmm:
:thumb:

They did mention that Washington believed that you only learned how not to make mistakes by being experienced and that you only got experienced by making mistakes.

They said that after the F & I War, he decided that he needed to study a lot more about military strategy.

The 2-9 record really isn't that bad considering the odds against him in the individual battles against heavily superior forces. He won the 2 that counted, anyway.

RealSNR
05-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Did the documentary happen to mention that the "Warriors" record in the Revolutionary War was 2-9-1? Or that he insisted on taking several hundred soldiers that could have been far more effective hiding behind trees and "bushwacking", and forced them to fight in dressed lines as the British did?Are you one of those guys who thinks that just because Pippen had more rings than Malone, that means he was the better player? :p

greg63
05-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Are you one of those guys who thinks that just because Pippen had more rings than Malone, that means he was the better player? :p

Wow! Has the subject matter of this thread gotten off the beaten path?

:nosmilie:
For SNR (Hey; it had been a while)

Demonpenz
05-29-2006, 11:58 PM
pippen had 6 more rings

Adept Havelock
05-30-2006, 05:51 AM
They did mention that Washington believed that you only learned how not to make mistakes by being experienced and that you only got experienced by making mistakes.

They said that after the F & I War, he decided that he needed to study a lot more about military strategy.Well, he always was a smart man. ;)
The 2-9 record really isn't that bad considering the odds against him in the individual battles against heavily superior forces. He won the 2 that counted, anyway.What's the only battle in a war that frequently really matters? The last one. :thumb:

As I said in another thread...

Our Washington was an incredible Statesman, a General who though misguided, managed to hold together an army in the bleakest days, and of course, the Father of my nation. He was also an uncanny political "operator", a cardsharp, an extremely heavy drinker, and IMO a bit of a womanizer. None of which detract from his greatness or legacy. Indeed, I find the "human" Washington much more interesting and admirable than the "marble statue" bequeathed to us by so many worshipful historians.