PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Hamburger Helper

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
If you had to be locked away for your own protection and you were only going to be able to have the one type of Hamburger Helper for breakfast, lunch and dinner... which one would you choose?

I think I'd go with the lasagne.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Cheeseburger.

Katipan
05-30-2006, 09:57 AM
The old potato stroganoff. The new one sucks ass.

JBucc
05-30-2006, 09:57 AM
The Cheddar melt one

luv
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Which one's the one that has the little wagon wheel shaped pasta in it? I loved that one as a kid. Haven't had it in awhile.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I like the cheesy enchilada, but need tortilla chips to go with it. I like it because it's rice instead of pasta.

They used to have one called cheesy italian that was my favorite, but it no longer exists.

To be honest, they all taste pretty much the same, so I'm not sure I'd care which I got.

Predarat
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm with Luv and liked the wagon wheels, but they are nowhere to be found. The four cheese lasange tastes similar, but its not the same as those damn wheels!

Kclee
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Cheeseburger.

Yeah, that's a good one.

Have you seen Hyvee's knockoffs? They are called Panburger Partner. Thought that was amusing.

Iowanian
05-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm a cheesy hashbrown guy....and if I'm eating foam potatoes, make it the store brand.....salt, cracked pepper and Ketsup anyway.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, that's a good one.

Have you seen Hyvee's knockoffs? They are called Panburger Partner. Thought that was amusing.

Yup. They are pretty good too. A lot better than they used to be years ago, that's for sure.

pikesome
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
The old potato stroganoff. The new one sucks ass.

A sign of your unending wisdom.

alpha_omega
05-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Good ole Stroganoff.

Hammock Parties
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Interestingly enough, I've never had HH.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I like to mix the lasagna with the cheeseburger.

RedDread
05-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Interestingly enough, I've never had HH.

At the very minimum every bachelor should know how to prep some HH.

Some other man meals include premade chili and Tyson chicken strips.

Goddess Tara
05-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I think I'd rather starve to death.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 10:29 AM
At the very minimum every bachelor should know how to prep some HH.

Some other man meals include premade chili and Tyson chicken strips.My guess is mommy has always been around to make his dinners. Not a bad gig, if you can get it...

jspchief
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
At the very minimum every bachelor should know how to prep some HH. Yep. Sooner or later, every young man learns that HH is a valuable staple to the diet. Then, when you have kids, it's usually reintroduced to the menu.

Monkeylook4food
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I'd go with Lasagna too, but only if I could modify it with more cheese and crushed red peppers.

Hammock Parties
05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
My guess is mommy has always been around to make his dinners. Not a bad gig, if you can get it...

You jackass. If Hamburger Helper was worth a shit, I'd have gotten it myself by now.

shaneo69
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I'd have to go with the double cheesy quesadilla (with rice). Also like the nacho cheese with the little tube noodles.

RockChalk
05-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd go with Lasagna too, but only if I could modify it with more cheese and crushed red peppers.

Um, I recently found out that at stores, such as grocers, you can purchase items like shredded cheese in the dairy section and peppers in the produce section. When purchased seperately, these items can be added to prepackaged meals, such as Hamburger Helper.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Um, I recently found out that at stores, such as grocers, you can purchase items like shredded cheese in the dairy section and peppers in the produce section. When purchased seperately, these items can be added to prepackaged meals, such as Hamburger Helper.Yea, you can actually add stuff to HH to make it fairly decent.

A can of diced tomatoes and/or mushrooms goes good in just about any of the italian ones.

Some chips and lettuce with the mexican ones.

It's all about creativity when eating shitty low prep foods.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
You jackass. If Hamburger Helper was worth a shit, I'd have gotten it myself by now.Heh, the fact that you haven't eaten it, probably means you'll live longer than the rest of us, or that your corpse will decompose more quickly...

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Um, I recently found out that at stores, such as grocers, you can purchase items like shredded cheese in the dairy section and peppers in the produce section. When purchased seperately, these items can be added to prepackaged meals, such as Hamburger Helper.
I think what Monkey was noting was my scenario, where ALL you would get was the HH.

Monkeylook4food
I understand the concept. But the thread starter's hypothetical suggested perhaps that the eater of the hamburger helper may not actually have access to a grocer as he's been locked away for his own protection.

phisherman
cheesy hash browns all the way

bp

Hammock Parties
05-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Heh, the fact that you haven't eaten it, probably means you'll live longer than the rest of us, or that your corpse will decompose more quickly...

Don't worry, I eat alot of other trash. Did you know if you boil ramen noodles long enough they take on the appearance of industrial sludge?

Fire Me Boy!
I had a roommate in the late '90s that made the stroganoff with chocolate milk. That was all we had, and he didn't want to go out to get milk.

He said it wasn't that bad.

chagrin
cheesy hash browns all the way

bp

Giggitty!
They are my favorite as well

Goddess Tara
05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
stroganoff with chocolate milk???? Just the thought makes me want to throw up. That sounds disgusting.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 10:51 AM
lasagna

RockChalk
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I understand the concept. But the thread starter's hypothetical suggested perhaps that the eater of the hamburger helper may not actually have access to a grocer as he's been locked away for his own protection.

I sincerely apologize for my sarcasm, as it was completely unwarranted.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't worry, I eat alot of other trash. Did you know if you boil ramen noodles long enough they take on the appearance of industrial sludge?Thats nice to know, considering my son loves those.

ArrowheadHawk
05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
i like good ol' beef pasta and if you have a bigger family you can add more noodles and a package of brown gravy mix....then put it over instant mashed potatoes......throw in some crosaint rolls and you have a great redneck dinner

Monkeylook4food
05-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I sincerely apologize for my sarcasm, as it was completely unwarranted.

It's not a big deal. You thought I was a dumbass. I can understand why you might have thought that.

Goddess Tara
05-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Thats nice to know, considering my son loves those.

Nick already knows all about this David. Nathan made him some once, I think he boiled them for 15 minutes, we threw them away.

dtebbe
05-30-2006, 11:04 AM
cheeseburger macaroni

Reaper16
05-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Cheeseburger Macaroni ftw!

RedNFeisty
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Stroganoff, but since eating it so much when poor, I avoid HH like the plague.

4th and Long
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm partial to the new and improved Cheeseburger Bowel Obstruction.

You people actually eat this crap?

Katipan
05-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Someone here isn't sure whether to be anorexic or bulimic. But in either case, neither are Hamburger Helper recipes.

keg in kc
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
StroganoffHow could you possibly know I'm strokin' off?!? Did my webcam come on automatically again?!! Dammit!!!

jspchief
05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't worry, I eat alot of other trash. Did you know if you boil ramen noodles long enough they take on the appearance of industrial sludge?So you'll eat ramen, but not hamburger helper?

HH is a step up from ramen noodles. It's like going from minute steak to sirloin. It's still not filet mignon, but it's an upgrade.

Hammock Parties
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
So you'll eat ramen, but not hamburger helper?

HH is a step up from ramen noodles. It's like going from minute steak to sirloin. It's still not filet mignon, but it's an upgrade.

I actually haven't eaten ramen for months. The shittiest thing I eat these days is probably oscar mayer hot dogs.

MOhillbilly
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I dont know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. it does just fine by itself.

:shake:you guys are slippin:shake:

Kclee
05-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I dont know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. it does just fine by itself.

You're the gourmet around here, MO.

FAX
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I'd rather be killed, Mr. Roof Pig!. Pick a method.

Anything other than death by Hamburger Helper.

FAX

ChiefaRoo
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
If you had to be locked away for your own protection and you were only going to be able to have the one type of Hamburger Helper for breakfast, lunch and dinner... which one would you choose?

I think I'd go with the lasagne.

"I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper Clark. I think it does just fine all by itself"

MOhillbilly
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
You're the gourmet around here, MO.

http://www.pinball.org/kme/cousin%20eddie.jpg

hey roo! wake the **** up!

Hammock Parties
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
You people actually eat this crap?

No kidding! You're so much better than them!

ChiefaRoo
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.pinball.org/kme/cousin%20eddie.jpg

hey roo! wake the **** up!

Oooppss, sorry about that. I humbly and sincerely apologize

R&GHomer
05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I actually like the cheeseburger macaroni HH. I ate it a lot growing up and then reintroduced it when I got divorced and received primary custody of my two boys. Stuff isn't that bad, it's quick and more importantly, they love it. I guess I'm just not as picky as some. Hell, compared to some of the stuff I ate while in the Army. HH is a friggin delicacy

Sully
05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
They took away Pizza Bake Hamburger Helper years ago.
**** them.

BIG_DADDY
05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I know this may sound strange but I don't believe I have ever had hamburger helper. Is it good?

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Anybody ever eat the Aldi's or Sav-A-Lot brands? Yummy!

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I know this may sound strange but I don't believe I have ever had hamburger helper. Is it good?If you are poor and have nothing else. I no longer eat them.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I know this may sound strange but I don't believe I have ever had hamburger helper. Is it good?It's cheap, easy, and fast.

Sometimes that's a suitable replacement for "good".

IMO, it's not bad. But I also like meals where all the ingredients can be mixed into one food montage.

FAX
05-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Is there a Vienna Sausage Helper?

Those little bastages could sure use some.

FAX

CoMoChief
05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Cheesy Enchilada

Reaper16
05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
IMO, it's not bad. But I also like meals where all the ingredients can be mixed into one food montage.
Heh. I'm like hte opposite in most cases. Have you tried those KFC bowls yet? They've got mashed potatoes topped with corn, fried chicken, a three cheese blend, and gravy.

BIG_DADDY
05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
If you are poor and have nothing else. I no longer eat them.

What is it a bunch of seasoning or something?

jspchief
05-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Heh. I'm like hte opposite in most cases. Have you tried those KFC bowls yet? They've got mashed potatoes topped with corn, fried chicken, a three cheese blend, and gravy.All my life, I've taken my mom's fried chicken, and mixed it in with my potatoes and corn. It's routine for me.

Yea, I tried the KFC version. Pretty damn good, just leave the cheese off.

Katipan
It's nothing you couldn't make with the stuff in your pantry. Only it costs like $2.

Seasoned meat with something pasta-y or potato-y thrown in.

oooo

scarey.

BIG_DADDY
Heh. I'm like hte opposite in most cases. Have you tried those KFC bowls yet? They've got mashed potatoes topped with corn, fried chicken, a three cheese blend, and gravy.

Yea I think I would just die of starvation before I would eat that shit. In the commerial it looks absolutely disgusting.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
What is it a bunch of seasoning or something?It's seasoning and pasta (or rice or potatoes). You brown your hamburger, then add the helper.

It's a quick, one pan meal.

cdcox
05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I had never eaten HH before my Junior year in college. I've never had HH since my Senior year in college.

FAX
05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
... scarey. ...

That's actually a perfect description, Ms. Katipan.

Bellyache In A Box.

FAX

Katipan
05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Baby, can you tell us again that you don't like it?

I don't think we understood yet.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I had never eaten HH before my Junior year in college. I've never had HH since my Senior year in college.Like I said in an earlier post, it was re-introduced to our family menu with the arrival of a child. Kids like it.

FAX
05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Baby, can you tell us again that you don't like it?

I don't think we understood yet.

Happy to. Let's see.

There once was a young man from Kelping
Whose dinner caused spasms and yelping
He passed out in his plate
The doc said, “It’s too late,
He is beyond Hamburger Helping.”

FAX

Inspector
05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
I'd rather eat the engorged ticks off the belly of a mongolian yak.

But that's just me.

I guess I'm not too picky about food, eating ticks from yaks and all......

Predarat
05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Anybody ever eat the Aldi's or Sav-A-Lot brands? Yummy!
Tried them once. They arent as good as those old skool ones with a white box and black lettering.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Man, all you folks dissin' HH.....:shake:

I use to think the stuff was awful too. And I ain't saying anything like it's gourmet, or my first choice....but the stuff has come a long way from the nasty stuff it was back in the 70s. You all act like you eat filet mignon, or broiled salmon, or some such for dinner every night. Sheeesh. :rolleyes:

Like I said, it ain't my first choice.....but it's cheap, quick, easy, and more tasty than some of the crap I've had served at some restaurants.

Maybe ya'all just need to lean to read the damn directions, and use decent quality ground beef or something...:p

FAX
05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
You've convinced me. Mr. Kotter.

Actually, I haven't had any Hamburger Helper for probably 20 years. I'll get the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX to pick some this week and we'll give it a try. Maybe it's better than I remember it.

FAX

Inspector
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm looking for some mouse helper.

For my cat.

Kclee
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I haven't had HH in a while (maybe a little over a year) so after work I went and picked up a box of Cheesy Nacho HH. These threads always give me cravings. Last week I picked up some steaks to grill after reading someones marinade thread. And today along with the HH, I got some jalapenos to make armidillo eggs from the other food thread.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
You've convinced me. Mr. Kotter.

Actually, I haven't had any Hamburger Helper for probably 20 years. I'll get the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX to pick some this week and we'll give it a try. Maybe it's better than I remember it.

FAX
Heh. Well, like I said, it's not gourmet. But I remember the stuff from the 70s, and that deserved the bad rap it got. It's better these days.

I haven't had HH in a while (maybe a little over a year) so after work I went and picked up a box of Cheesy Nacho HH. These threads always give me cravings. Last week I picked up some steaks to grill after reading someones marinade thread. And today along with the HH, I got some jalapenos to make armidillo eggs from the other food thread.

Yeah, I like tossin' in extra stuff too. It's one of the ways I can actually eat vegetables more easily.....mixed into a casserole, or something like HH. Bon appetite! :p

ChiefsFire
05-30-2006, 05:16 PM
lasagne all time greatest...hands down

growing up Catholic,you could always count on tuna helper come friday nite

SnapDogg
05-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Stew, but I think they quit making it.........

Logical
05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Easily Stroganoff

craneref
05-30-2006, 10:13 PM
It wouldn't matter, because the BOX tastes the same on all flavors and that is all I would be eating!!

BucEyedPea
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd go on a fast than eat that kind of packaged food.
Wonder if you can read the labels.
Besides growing up Italian, you learn to eat fresh.

Logical
05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Man, all you folks dissin' HH.....:shake:

I use to think the stuff was awful too. And I ain't saying anything like it's gourmet, or my first choice....but the stuff has come a long way from the nasty stuff it was back in the 70s. You all act like you eat filet mignon, or broiled salmon, or some such for dinner every night. Sheeesh. :rolleyes:

Like I said, it ain't my first choice.....but it's cheap, quick, easy, and more tasty than some of the crap I've had served at some restaurants.

Maybe ya'all just need to lean to read the damn directions, and use decent quality ground beef or something...:pI think you are breaking the 4th law of thermodynamics if you use good quality ground beef with HH.

Logical
05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Before they changed the Cheddar Cheese Soup from Campbells we used to make our own version of Mac and Cheese and Hamburger by making Kraft Mac and Cheese, dumping in a can of the soup and adding about 2 lbs of hamburger. Much, much better than Cheeseburger HH.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I think you are breaking the 4th law of thermodynamics if you use good quality ground beef with HH.

GROUND CHUCK.....the pricey kind.

Makes a world of difference, Jim. :p

Slayer Diablo
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
No poll? Bah!

BTW, Four-cheese Lasagna.

Logical
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
GROUND CHUCK.....the pricey kind.

Makes a world of difference, Jim. :pI am suprised the Cow does not reincarnate and slap you silly.:)

Logical
05-30-2006, 10:26 PM
This one ought to make some people gag.

Mix Mashed potatos, corn, (either steak or hambuger) then add either gravy or ketchup. Both make a fine fast and large dinner.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I am suprised the Cow does not reincarnate and slap you silly.:)Hey, HH is cheap AND quick.

Kinda like a hooker.... ;)
This one ought to make some people gag.

Mix Mashed potatos, corn, (either steak or hambuger) then add either gravy or ketchup. Both make a fine fast and large dinner.
Shepherd Pie, baby! :thumb:

BucEyedPea
05-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Fresh lean hamburger, saute in pan with all kinds of fresh veggies, garlic and spices= homemade HH! Cheap, safe and better f'er yeh!

listopencil
05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
I like the cheesy enchilada, but need tortilla chips to go with it. I like it because it's rice instead of pasta.

They used to have one called cheesy italian that was my favorite, but it no longer exists.

To be honest, they all taste pretty much the same, so I'm not sure I'd care which I got.

That one is the best. They also have Cheesy Chicken Enchilada, which is second best.

Sully
06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Bump for hamburger helper thread.

FAX
06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
That reminds me.

I forgot to pick up some Hamburger Helper. Which kind is the best to start with? Lasagna?

FAX