PDA

View Full Version : Going to Germany...

Pierce
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Staying in various hotels around the nation. Got my Euros and a debit card and some travelers checks. I'll be with a couple of my friends.

This will our first time across the pond. Anything I should know about traveling to Germany or Europe in general?

Ultra Peanut
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
World Cup?

Pierce
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah....We know it's going to be a little bit crazy. We would've liked to go, but that wasn't going to be possible.

Spicy McHaggis
05-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Wander into random English pubs drunk and scream "Manchester United is the biggest bunch of wankers to ever play the game!". You'll have friends in no time.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Germany fuggin rules.

You might check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1566917212/sr=8-1/qid=1149008664/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2563591-2461461?%5Fencoding=UTF8

StcChief
05-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Germany... To stay relatively incognito ala not American tourist...

Don't dress like an American. NO Jeans, tee-shirts,polos and Tennis shoes.

This maybe less of an issue than it was in late 2001-2002 when I was there, when being an American
there was like having a target on your back.

4th and Long
05-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Anything I should know about traveling to Germany
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Spicy McHaggis
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
This maybe less of an issue than it was in late 2001-2002 when I was there, when being an American
there was like having a target on your back.

I'm guessing it's even worse now.

If things seem bad just play the "I'm Canadian" card.

Pierce
05-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Ja. Aber nicht so gut.

pak1983
05-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Germany isnt so bad, my girlfriend did a month long tour last year all over europe and right now she is studying abroad in austria. she just got to austria on sunday morning and started class monday. she said some guy from scotland was making fun of her for being american. a guy from alabama had been there a few weeks and told my gf and her friend they need to say they are canadian because austrians are not very fond of americans. My gf also said she wished they were in germany, so by that im taking it they are much nicer in germany.

Rain Man
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Don't mention the war.

4th and Long
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Ja. Aber nicht so gut.
Es ist ein Anfang. Praxis macht perfekt.

Ultra Peanut
05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
ICH BIN EIN HAMBURGER

StcChief
05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Germany isnt so bad, my girlfriend did a month long tour last year all over europe and right now she is studying abroad in austria. she just got to austria on sunday morning and started class monday. she said some guy from scotland was making fun of her for being american. a guy from alabama had been there a few weeks and told my gf and her friend they need to say they are canadian because austrians are not very fond of americans. My gf also said she wished they were in germany, so by that im taking it they are much nicer in germany.

That's OK Austria We aren't real fond of you either...
Hope she comes out ok, learns alot there.
Playing the Canadian card, learn to say 'Eh'.
If they are dumb enough to believe they are from Canada....sure.

Actually most folks I met would like to be visiting from America. as US citizens.

Pierce
05-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I heard there are a lot of pickpocketers in the big cities that like to steal money from tourists.

And I'm told never to leave money behind in the hotel (I think that's a given, though).

Passport at all times too huh? Best place the carry money?

StcChief
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I heard there are a lot of pickpocketers in the big cities that like to steal money from tourists.

And I'm told never to leave money behind in the hotel (I think that's a given, though).

Money, Traveller checks, Debit card, Passport in a money belt inside your pants front. not in pocket.

I was very cautious in crowds.

CHIEF4EVER
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
If you get to Berlin, don't forget to hit the Kudamm (Kurfuerstendamm). Great night life. Also, Schloss Potsdam and Schloss Charlottenburg are close by if you are into historical sights. There is also a lake called the Wannsee which has some cool beaches. If you want to catch a soccer match, go to Olympiastadion. For eats, don't forget to hit an Imbiss or 2 and get Rostbratwurst, or Currywurst or a nice Doener Kebap.

EDIT: Checkpoint Charlie Memorial is still there as well as the Siegessaeule and the Brandenbuerger Tor.

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Where you go’n in Germany?

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 11:58 AM
If you get to Berlin, don't forget to hit the Kudamm (Kurfuerstendamm). Great night life. Also, Schloss Potsdam and Schloss Charlottenburg are close by if you are into historical sights. There is also a lake called the Wannsee which has some cool beaches. If you want to catch a soccer match, go to Olympiastadion. For eats, don't forget to hit an Imbiss or 2 and get Rostbratwurst, or Currywurst or a nice Doener Kebap.

EDIT: Checkpoint Charlie Memorial is still there as well as the Siegessaeule and the Brandenbuerger Tor.

Sounds like you were stationed there.
I got to see Berlin just after East Germans started break’n through, so there were still guards there and everything.
They ever turn the chariot on top of the Brandenbuerger Tor back ‘round?

CHIEF4EVER
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you were stationed there.
I got to see Berlin just after East Germans started break’n through, so there were still guards there and everything.
They ever turn the chariot on top of the Brandenbuerger Tor back ‘round?

I did 2 tours there and have a piece of the Wall here at home. I don't think any adjustments have been made to the chariot AFAIK. Damn I miss Doener Kebap.......

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I did 2 tours there and have a piece of the Wall here at home. I don't think any adjustments have been made to the chariot AFAIK. Damn I miss Doener Kebap.......

Yea, I’ve got a few pieces of “The Wall” also. ;)

CHIEF4EVER
05-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Yea, I’ve got a few pieces of “The Wall” also. ;)

Mine came directly from one of the Wall pieces on the night the Wall came down and the East Germans came streaming through. My best friend still lives there (a German Physicist) and we keep in contact. In the next year or 2 I plan to go back for a couple of weeks.

Pierce
05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Where you go’n in Germany?

Ahh we're going everywhere. Dresden, Berlin, Munich, taking a cruise on the Rhine. We're going to be on the move a lot.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Money, Traveller checks, Debit card, Passport in a money belt inside your pants front. not in pocket.

I was very cautious in crowds.

Yeah, you can actually get a holster for your passport and money that goes on under your shirt, over your shoulder. Best way to go.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM

Great call on Schloss Potsdam and Charlottenberg...the two castles in Berlin are really cool...Berlin used to be the residency of the Hohenzollern family...what is generally referred to as Prussia.

Just as an FYI, you can get Doener Kebap in just about every city in Germany, they were all over in the south when I was there, there's a ton of Turkish immigrants.

I strongly recommend you checkout Neu Schwanstein/Hohenschwangau while you're in the Munich area. And you should definitely do a Biergarten there as well. Hofbrau Haus is the tourist desitination, I prefer the Lowenbrau Biergarten myself. Finally, you should do Dachau concentration camp. No, it's not fun. But everyone has to see it once.

And also in the south of Baden-Wuertemberg, south of Stuttgart, is Schloss Hohenzollern, the medieval home of the Hohenzollerns I mentioned above. It's a very striking place, because it's a pre-Gothic (very dark) castle sitting on a hill and there's no other hills for miles...

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Ahh we're going everywhere. Dresden, Berlin, Munich, taking a cruise on the Rhine. We're going to be on the move a lot.

Ah, good for you.

http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Central_Europe/Germany/Neuschwanstein/MVC-792F.jpg

Something I wish I’d have done was visit this castle, it’s the one Disney fashioned the “Fantasy Land” Castle after.
And if you’re into scenery you should visit Berchtesgaden, Hitler’s “Eagles Nest”. I passed up an opportunity to go there, but all my friends that went raved ‘bout how incredible the area is.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM

I noticed you're taking a cruise on the Rhine. Make sure you have a good zoom...there's lots of small castles along the banks. There's a nice little hotel and winery in Bingen on the east bank near Koln.

The cathedral in Koln (Cologne) is pretty cool, but so are the cathedrals in every city in Europe.

Rooster
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I just got back from Germany about two weeks ago. It was for work but we played a lot at night. The people were really nice I thought. We flew into Frankfurt and took trains to where we were going.

I hope you like beer. :)

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Ah, good for you.

http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Central_Europe/Germany/Neuschwanstein/MVC-792F.jpg

Something I wish I’d have done was visit this castle, it’s the one Disney fashioned the “Fantasy Land” Castle after.
And if you’re into scenery you should visit Berchtesgaden, Hitler’s “Eagles Nest”. I passed up an opportunity to go there, but all my friends that went raved ‘bout how incredible the area is.

Neuschwanstein is pretty breathtaking.

However, I would contend that his father's castle (Hohenschwangau) a few hundred yards away is actually cooler...

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
And you should definitely do a Biergarten there as well. Hofbrau Haus is the tourist desitination, I prefer the Lowenbrau Biergarten myself.

Oh yea, a biergarten is a must. :thumb:

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 12:33 PM
We flew into Frankfurt and took trains to where we were going.

That’s the good thing ‘bout Germany, there mass transit system is pretty good. You can hop on a train or “strassenbahn” , street car ;), and get just ‘bout anywhere.

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Neuschwanstein is pretty breathtaking.

However, I would contend that his father's castle (Hohenschwangau) a few hundred yards away is actually cooler...

I’ll have to take your word for it. When I was stationed there I was in my early 20’s and too busy chase’n tail with hair armpits to visit many scenic places. Saddest part is, I was stationed in Wurzburg, in Bavaria, and could’ve rode there and back in a day.

Pierce
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Haha yeah, I've heard a lot about those biergartens. I think we've also planned to hit up one of those castles - they look pretty awesome.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
That’s the good thing ‘bout Germany, there mass transit system is pretty good. You can hop on a train or “strassenbahn” , street car ;), and get just ‘bout anywhere.

We rode the Eilzug all over the damn country. The whole time I was there they were running a special. They were trying to reduce congestion on the ICE trains by selling weekend passes (midnight Thursday to midnight Sunday) on the Eilzug for 4 marks 50.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I’ll have to take your word for it. When I was stationed there I was in my early 20’s and too busy chase’n tail with hair armpits to visit many scenic places. Saddest part is, I was stationed in Wurzburg, in Bavaria, and could’ve rode there and back in a day.

The manor residence in Wurzburg (I forget exactly who lived there, pretty sure he was a high-ranking Catholic) is pretty interesting in and of itself.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Haha yeah, I've heard a lot about those biergartens. I think we've also planned to hit up one of those castles - they look pretty awesome.

There's really 2 types of castles in Europe, depending on what you're interested in.

The castles built before the era of Louis XIV (the palace at Versailles) and those that were built after.

The ones built before are interesting because they are often more functional especially from a military standpoint.

The post-Versailles are most interesting just because of sheer excess. The huge banquet halls that seat 150. The bedrooms wallpapered in gold leaf.

HarryParatestes
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Germans can take a while to warm up to you...give them a slight "attitude" back and they warm up quicker...

Eat... before you go out to eat! If it's a restraunt...expect to wait to be seated...then wait...and wait..for everything else. They are in no hurry.

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 01:03 PM
The manor residence in Wurzburg (I forget exactly who lived there, pretty sure he was a high-ranking Catholic) is pretty interesting in and of itself.

Right, “The Residence”, or at least that’s what we refered to it as, was built as a home for some cardinal though I don’t remember which one. It’s been a few years since I took the tour.
Though one of the things that struck me most was an aerial photo of Wurzburg after WWII. We completely leveled that place. Even The Residence didn’t have a roof left on it, and from what I understand we tried to avoid it.

angel
05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I was in Germany this March. I was lucky because I was able to stay with my friend who is in the army and stationed over there, so I didn't have to deal with hotels and such, and he was able to drive us around for the most part.

Definately go to a castle or two, and some churches. They are awesome... literally awe-inspiring. My favorite was Heidelberg. I also liked Rothenberg- it's a walled city, and it has the criminal museum- where you can see all kinds of torture devices and so on. Nuremberg had my favorite church in it and a cool castle as well.

I took about four years of German, so I could make it by no problem, and pretty much everyone speaks at least some English. As long as you aren't rude and accept their customs, etc, they are really nice about speaking English with you when necessary.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but you can look at them if you want:

here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angelaclapton/album?.dir=ec6b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angelaclapton/my_photos)

As far as advice, make sure you have a copy of your passport and other ID's with someone here in the states. Another copy at your hotel and keep everything in a safe, secure place. Know where your passport is at all times. Don't do anything to stand out as a tourist, of course. Keep your money in small amounts in different places, etc.

The flight is long, it helps to stay up the night before you leave and get on the plane ready to sleep. When you get to Germany, don't go to sleep until it's time to sleep there. At least, that's what worked for me. I caught up to the time change just fine. The flight wasn't great, but I saw a couple of movies I hadn't seen. The food is terrible, so bring snacks. And wear comfortable clothes.

Have fun, and stay out of trouble. :)

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
http://www.galenfrysinger.com/wurzburg.htm

Here ya go, here are some photos of the Residence and some other things to be found in Wurzburg.
I saw most of’em except for maybe the University, though I’m pretty sure I drove past it all the time.

Rooster
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
We ate dinner at a castel in Attendorn. It wasn't a huge castle like the ones you guys are speaking of but it was very cool non the less.

I asked the bartender how old the castle was and he informed me that most of it was 500 years old but some additions were made to it 300 years ago. Then he looked at me and said in a very thick German accent "This isn't Disney World". I thought that was really funny.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 01:27 PM
I was in Germany this March. I was lucky because I was able to stay with my friend who is in the army and stationed over there, so I didn't have to deal with hotels and such, and he was able to drive us around for the most part.

Definately go to a castle or two, and some churches. They are awesome... literally awe-inspiring. My favorite was Heidelberg. I also liked Rothenberg- it's a walled city, and it has the criminal museum- where you can see all kinds of torture devices and so on. Nuremberg had my favorite church in it and a cool castle as well.

I took about four years of German, so I could make it by no problem, and pretty much everyone speaks at least some English. As long as you aren't rude and accept their customs, etc, they are really nice about speaking English with you when necessary.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but you can look at them if you want:

here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angelaclapton/album?.dir=ec6b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angelaclapton/my_photos)

As far as advice, make sure you have a copy of your passport and other ID's with someone here in the states. Another copy at your hotel and keep everything in a safe, secure place. Know where your passport is at all times. Don't do anything to stand out as a tourist, of course. Keep your money in small amounts in different places, etc.

The flight is long, it helps to stay up the night before you leave and get on the plane ready to sleep. When you get to Germany, don't go to sleep until it's time to sleep there. At least, that's what worked for me. I caught up to the time change just fine. The flight wasn't great, but I saw a couple of movies I hadn't seen. The food is terrible, so bring snacks. And wear comfortable clothes.

Have fun, and stay out of trouble. :)

Rothenburg, ah yes. Make sure you visit the CORRECT Rothenburg. There's TWO. :D

Here's where I give you a tip: ;)

Many, many cities in Europe share the same name. That's because up until the 19th century, Germany consisted of a few hundred separate countries. So much like the US, where you have a Springfield, MO and a Springfield, IL, you have 5 cities named Friedrichshafen. One way they got around that was to name cities based on the river that runs through them. Friedrichshafen am Main was the one on the Main River, whereas Friedrichshafen an der Oder was on the Oder River, 300 miles away.

The Rothenburg you want to visit is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, on the banks of the lovely Tauber River. The city itself is very cool. The walls mentioned are part of a handful of unrestored medieval architecture still left in Europe.

cookster50
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Plastic baggie up the anus.

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
And if you’re into race’n you really need to check out the Nurbergerring, where anyone will’n to sign a waiver and pay 50 DM, or at least that was the price in the early ‘90’s, and for a few moments pretend your Mario Freak’n Andretti. :thumb: Or at least until a real racer comes scream’n past ya. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Nurburgring_map.jpg

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
And if you’re into race’n you really need to check out the Nurbergerring, where anyone will’n to sign a waiver and pay 50 DM, or at least that was the price in the early ‘90’s, and for a few moments pretend your Mario Freak’n Andretti. :thumb: Or at least until a real racer comes scream’n past ya. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Nurburgring_map.jpg

The driving simulator in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart is pretty fun...

Pierce
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
All great suggestions guys...thanks.

How's the weather in Germany the first two weeks in June? More short sleeve shirts or long sleeve shirts?

chiefsfaninNC
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Find the Marines if you like to party. Go to the embassy or to a Consul General and strike up a conversation with the duty Marine. Marines know all the local party holes and where the Americans and friendly diplomats and friendly locals hang out. You won't regret it.

Radar Chief
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM

How's the weather in Germany the first two weeks in June? More short sleeve shirts or long sleeve shirts?

It’s probably gonna be pretty muggy, though I’m sure that’ll depend on where ya go also.
At least I wouldn’t bother take’n the flannel.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM

The weather is pretty mild year-round, especially in lower Germany (northern) because of it's proximity to the water. You'll be good in short sleeve shirts...

Of course, this past year they've had some crazy weather...

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Find the Marines if you like to party. Go to the embassy or to a Consul General and strike up a conversation with the duty Marine. Marines know all the local party holes and where the Americans and friendly diplomats and friendly locals hang out. You won't regret it.

Why would he want to do that? He's going to experience Germany, not hang out with a bunch of Americans...

chiefsfaninNC
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Why would he want to do that? He's going to experience Germany, not hang out with a bunch of Americans...

Good source of local info. The Marines live there for 15 months at a time. They can tell you where to go and what tourist traps to avoid. They also know where the cheapest and best local restaurants are located. Many of the Marines have local girlfriends who also can give info on the country and little hidden secrets. It is a good one night stop. I wouldn't hang with them every night either.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Good source of local info. The Marines live there for 15 months at a time. They can tell you where to go and what tourist traps to avoid. They also know where the cheapest and best local restaurants are located. Many of the Marines have local girlfriends who also can give info on the country and little hidden secrets. It is a good one night stop. I wouldn't hang with them every night either.

I see. When I was there, I went out of my way to avoid everything American, blend in as much as possible. My friend and I were in Rothenburg and heard two girls discussing the fact that they were lost, in English. We looked at each other and the only thing said was "Nah." We could have helped them, but what fun is that? :D

CHIEF4EVER
05-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Precisely. I went out of my way for the most part to avoid GIs when I was there. That includes when I lived there for several years as a civilian after I got out of the Army. If I wanted contact with GIs, I knew where to find them. I preferred to mix with the locals, learn more about them and their history and customs. I learned the language simply by talking with people, reading the paper and taking my lumps if I made a mistake. I made the most of the years I spent over there, got to see a heckuva lot of Europe and even went to a German Trade School and learned a trade. I managed to get to Italy, Czeckoslovakia, all over Germany, Poland and Russia. Best time of my life.