PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine 1, Punk Gangsta' Thugs 0

vailpass
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I love it.

Former Marine fends off Atlanta robbers

ATLANTA (AP) -- A former Marine used a pocket knife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, had been walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said.

One of the attackers had a shotgun and another had a pistol, Stephens said.

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car but police found them later at a hospital where the girl was pronounced dead. The man stabbed in the incident was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and aggravated assault charges and are suspected in other robberies over the past week, Stephen said.

Stephens credited Autry's military training with helping him fend off the group.

"I would say he had to do what he had to do to stop the threat," Stephens said. "You can tell his training kicked in and he knew what to do."

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MARINE_ROBBERY?SITE=CODER&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-30-11-23-01;
2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

jspchief
05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
That's badass.

Predarat
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Awesome! That will teach them!

alpha_omega
05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Excellent story.

ChiefaRoo
05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Very impressive

Extra Point
05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Good to know that someone who defends himself from getting killed, isn't going to face charges. I'm sure the thug-bitch's family is going to file a wrongful death suit. Only in America.........

MOhillbilly
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
ha

jspchief
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
36 years old makes him about the right age to be a Desert Storm vet. I wonder if this isn't the first person he killed.

BIG_DADDY
05-30-2006, 01:57 PM
NICE!!!

Pierce
05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Justice

Calcountry
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Good to know that someone who defends himself from getting killed, isn't going to face charges. I'm sure the thug-bitch's family is going to file a wrongful death suit. Only in America.........they gotta get a nut somehow.

jiveturkey
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I like it and I hope that more stories like this surface.

Iowanian
05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Everyone without a record should have the right to carry a concealed weapon.

I'm glad the innocent isn't the one with the grieving family for a change.

Eleazar
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
It's too bad more thugs don't try to rob marines.

ChiTown
05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
That's badass.

:clap:

Agreed. Finally, the authorities get one right.

Inspector
05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Good to know that someone who defends himself from getting killed, isn't going to face charges. I'm sure the thug-bitch's family is going to file a wrongful death suit. Only in America.........

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

Hopefully he'll be allowed to use the same knife on any jury that might be inclined to actually award a settelment to the scum that attacked him.

I've always felt that anyone who kills someone who is comitting robbery or rape should be excluded from paying taxes for awhile since they just saved the rest of us tax payers a bunch of money - not to mention saved us from getting robbed or whatever.

Ebolapox
05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm glad he isn't being charged... that said, he's a 35 year old ex marine... not to turn this into a political thread, but it's kinda sad that he's working waiting tables--there's gotta be a better job out there for someone who sacrificed his life for his country

mac58
great story

Monkeylook4food
36 years old makes him about the right age to be a Desert Storm vet. I wonder if this isn't the first person he killed.

The USMC does a really good job with hand to hand combat training, especially knife fighting. I would guess at least one of them suffered a broken attack arm considering that is a jarhead's signature move.

RedDread
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM

I consider myself left leaning but I certainly would love to see a law like this enacted.

shakesthecat
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
It's only too bad he didn't kill all of them

jspchief
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm glad he isn't being charged... that said, he's a 35 year old ex marine... not to turn this into a political thread, but it's kinda sad that he's working waiting tables--there's gotta be a better job out there for someone who sacrificed his life for his countryGoing by the conventional use of "sacrificed his life for his country", I don't think this guy fits. ROFL

But to the point, there are a lot of people in this world that aren't suited for anything other than waiting tables or the military.

Iowanian
05-30-2006, 02:13 PM
there's gotta be a better job out there for someone who sacrificed his life for his country

Not to be overly technical....he SERVED his country....but did not sacrifice his life.

Now, he's serving food. No way of knowing the brainpower of that leatherneck.

It doesn't matter though...I'm glad he came out on top.

vailpass
05-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Here in Arizona it is easy as pie to get a license to carry concealed. Hardly anyone bothers with it though since everyone is allowed to carry a non-concealed side arm

In line at McDonalds, at the gas station, anywhere you go you see people with big old hog-leg .44s or Glocks just hanging on their waist in case you decide to start something. It's kinda' freaky actually.

Iron Chef
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Here comes the lawsuit, she was pregnant.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0530marine.html

Former Marine kills would-be robber
3 men, one woman attack waiter walking in Midtown

By BILL MONTGOMERY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/30/06

A pack of would-be robbers including, a pregnant 17-year-old, figured a Midtown waiter walking to his girlfriend's house Monday night would be an easy mark, according to police.

But, in Thomas Autry, 36, the bandits picked the wrong victim, said Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens. The former Marine, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife in a deadly melee that left the young woman dead and a man in his late teens seriously injured at a hospital.

The woman was identified as Amy Martin, who just had a birthday May 10, said Investigator Mark Gilbeau with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy was expected to be completed Tuesday afternoon. "Cause of death will be stab wounds, but we don't know how many yet," Gilbeau said.

The teenager lived in an apartment at 3000 Stone Hogan Connector in southwest Atlanta, south of Greenbriar Mall near East Point, Gilbeau said. A young man also stabbed in the robbery attempt remained in critical condition, he added.

Autry suffered minor injuries. The identities of the surviving suspects, who Stephens said are believed to be linked to "a lot" of pedestrian robberies in Midtown and Virginia-Highland, were not released. They face aggravated assault and robbery charges, police said.

Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."

Stephens said Autry had left his job at the Jocks & Jills restaurant in Midtown and was walking along Penn Avenue when a blue Cadillac pulled alongside and three men, one armed with a shotgun, and the woman jumped from the car.

"This group had robbed two men on Piedmont earlier Monday night, taking a video camera and a cellphone," Stephens said.

"Autry takes off running, and they chase him. During the chase, Autry's trying to get into his backpack to get a pocket knife, which slows him down," Stephens said.

During the chase, Autry repeatedly yelled "fire, fire," which Stephens said attracted nearby residents' attention.

Grabbing the knife from his backpack, Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. Stephens said. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired, Stephens said.

The suspects ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them. The young woman, "about two weeks pregnant," was pronounced dead at the hospital, Stephens said.

vailpass
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Lawsuit against who? On what basis? For what damages?

Rain Man
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Fixed your post.

Okay, I didn't fix it. It was perfect the way it was.

JBucc
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
That's cool

Iowanian
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
"Super-fly Do or Die...Gung Ho! Gung Ho!"

Thats what he should have yelled instead of "Fire"

I still laugh.

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Lawsuit against who? On what basis? For what damages?Someone is going to claim he killed an innocent baby.

chagrin
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Not to be overly technical....he SERVED his country.....Now, he's serving food.

ROFL yep, still serving

It doesn't matter though...I'm glad he came out on top.

I agree. This is totally kick ass! I feel like driving home tonight through Pine Hills in Orlando and stab some people!!

Just kidding obviously, but this is still kick ass

chiefsfaninNC
05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Ewww-Rahhhhhhhhhh. Get some Devil Dog!

RockChalk
05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Someone is going to claim he killed an innocent baby.

In a twisted way, he actually probably saved an innocent baby.

hawkchief
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
When should we expect the riots to start in Atlanta over this?

RockChalk
05-30-2006, 02:46 PM
I'd also like to read more stories like this.

This story actually reminds me of the beginning of Con Air. Except that Cameron Powe (Cage) goes to prison because they consider his training to be a weapon that somehow put him above being able to defend himself. Hopefully this guy does not get the same raw deal by an young D.A. looking to get his/her name out there. They should give the man a ticker tape parade in Atlanta.

mikey23545
05-30-2006, 02:50 PM

This will put the liberals in a bind...People who cherish partial-birth abortions on one hand will have trouble bitching about this scenario on the other hand even though they love coming to the aid of the "downtrodden" (murderers, rapists, terrorists, etc)...

chagrin
05-30-2006, 02:50 PM
When should we expect the riots to start in Atlanta over this?

I wouldn't be suprised to go home tonight and see Jesse or Ms. Mckinney on CNN stirring the pot already

jspchief
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
This will put the liberals in a bind...People who cherish partial-birth abortions on one hand will have trouble bitching about this scenario on the other hand even though they love coming to the aid of the "downtrodden" (murderers, rapists, terrorists, etc)...Is two weeks considered "partial birth"?

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2006, 02:56 PM
This will put the liberals in a bind...People who cherish partial-birth abortions on one hand will have trouble bitching about this scenario on the other hand even though they love coming to the aid of the "downtrodden" (murderers, rapists, terrorists, etc)...It should also put the RWNJs in a bind. Marines protecting themselves = good. Killing innocent babies = bad.

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to go home tonight and see Jesse or Ms. Mckinney on CNN stirring the pot alreadyWhy? I don't see a connection to Jesse or McKinney.

RockChalk
05-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Why? I don't see a connection to Jesse or McKinney.

I would venture a guess that Chagrin is making some assumptions here...

1. The marine is White
2. The attackers are African American

That's the only reason you would make a statement like that.

HC_Chief
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Too bad he didn't get all four.

If he only had a KBAR....

jiveturkey
05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
I would venture a guess that Chagrin is making some assumptions here...

1. The marine is White
2. The attackers are African American

That's the only reason you would make a statement like that.It seems like a couple of rightie tighties are making dumb ass assumptions.

Here's a gooden.
People who cherish partial-birth abortions

ImAWalkingCorpse
05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
That is very good. I wish the girl wouldn't have died maybe she would have had a chance to learn her lesson. But ohh well.

Rain Man
05-30-2006, 03:18 PM
He should get a share of all the food stamp money that he just saved the government.

Duck Dog
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
The suspects fled in their car but police found them later at a hospital where the girl was pronounced dead.

Semper Fi, bitch

ct
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
In a twisted way, he actually probably saved an innocent baby.

A most excellent point!!

vailpass
05-30-2006, 04:33 PM

The lack of a criminal conviction, or even accusation, usually prempts any civil action. Given the facts of this case that would seem doubly true.

Even if someone wanted to pervert the justice system by attempting to bring suit in this case there is one key element that is missing. An element without which there is not a plaintiff's attorney in the country willing to suffer the slings and arrows of this or any civil suit:
Deep pockets.

KCChiefsMan
05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
thats awesome! I wish I could kick ass like that if I needed to!

Garcia Bronco
05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
It was a shrewd move to stab the woman first...this probably demoralized his enemy.

redbrian
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
That is very good. I wish the girl wouldn't have died maybe she would have had a chance to learn her lesson. But ohh well.

Occupational hazard, part of the risk for being a street thug.

listopencil
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Yep.

OldTownChief
05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
It was a shrewd move to stab the woman first...this probably demoralized his enemy.

The woman was clinging to his back like a monkey.

penchief
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
This will put the liberals in a bind...People who cherish partial-birth abortions on one hand will have trouble bitching about this scenario on the other hand even though they love coming to the aid of the "downtrodden" (murderers, rapists, terrorists, etc)...

What a load of crap. Why would you even suggest that anybody would want to come to the aid of murderers, rapists, terrorists, etc.? That's getting pretty ridiculous.

By the way, I liked the story, too.

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2006, 08:19 PM
When should we expect the riots to start in Atlanta over this?Why would there be riots?

Immaculate
05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
That's justice.

jettio
05-30-2006, 09:36 PM
That is more of a sad story than anything to celebrate.

Link to the story and videos.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9290011/detail.html

The fella that defended himself has a lot better perspective on the tragedy of the event than the sad posts in this thread.

Not surprising that vailpass would start a thread that becomes a racist pow-wow, where people mistakenly assume that the ex-marine is caucasian and where there is endless stoopid crap about riots and black protests.

And people really need to be a lot less stupid about when people bring lawsuits. No lawyer would take a case under the apparent facts that the guy acted in self-defense.

Potential defendants in civil cases can demand to have a jury decide a case. There is no way a jury would find against a guy that defended himself. As a matter of fact, there is no way that the case could even get to a jury.

The only court case out of this will be for the robbers, and depending on the felony murder rule in Georgia, they could be put away for a real long time.

Rausch
05-30-2006, 09:51 PM

The fella that defended himself has a lot better perspective on the tragedy of the event than the sad posts in this thread.

Not surprising that vailpass would start a thread that becomes a racist pow-wow, where people mistakenly assume that the ex-marine is caucasian and where there is endless stoopid crap about riots and black protests.

Who said the Marine was white?

I'm guessing the thugs were brown and red from the fear-induced-colon-puking and general ruination of their asses...

jettio
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Who said the Marine was white?

I'm guessing the thugs were brown and red from the fear-induced-colon-puking and general ruination of their asses...

Not only are you too stooopid to see the obvious, you actually seem to think that the guy defending himself had a great time.

He did not lie in wait with the intent of putting "general ruination" on anyone, and your remark is not funny. It is sick.

Seems that fear and resentment of criminals has poisoned your soul. Damn shame really.

Monkeylook4food
05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anybody remember back when Jettio was funny?

craneref
05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Nothing like instant justice!

Demonpenz
05-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I wonder how big his pocket knife was. I was thinking how i don't think I could kill someone with my dinky pocket knife, but i bet he had some badass knife they he kept extra sharp

Slayer Diablo
05-30-2006, 11:03 PM
That is some awesome, badass action right there.

A few more incidents like this, and the Marines will have one up on the Navy...it'll be sad to see the story of Long Beach Naval Basemen attacking zoot-suiters drop to the second best.

jspchief
05-31-2006, 06:20 AM

And people really need to be a lot less stupid about when people bring lawsuits. No lawyer would take a case under the apparent facts that the guy acted in self-defense.

Potential defendants in civil cases can demand to have a jury decide a case. There is no way a jury would find against a guy that defended himself. As a matter of fact, there is no way that the case could even get to a jury.

The only court case out of this will be for the robbers, and depending on the felony murder rule in Georgia, they could be put away for a real long time.Ehhh, add another victim to the pile I guess. :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
05-31-2006, 06:27 AM
I wonder how big his pocket knife was. I was thinking how i don't think I could kill someone with my dinky pocket knife, but i bet he had some badass knife they he kept extra sharp
Probably about like Crocodile Dundee.

crispystl420
05-31-2006, 06:46 AM
This actually happened to my friends uncle. I think he is ex-army though but anyhow 3 guys tried to rob him at his atm machine and old dude literally is like 45 which i know isn't real old but ya know he's past his prime anyways this guy beat the shit out of alll 3 of them broke ones nose I think. It was great they had it coming. Funny thing this dude always talks about how he is bad ass we were always like yeah right whatever turns out he was right.

Bwana
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Fantasitc!

chagrin
05-31-2006, 08:13 AM

where people mistakenly assume that the ex-marine is caucasian and where there is endless stoopid crap about riots and black protests.

Jettio

Get off of your friggin high horse dude. I never said anything about white/black. I am bringing up the possibility that Rep. McKinney and Jesse would be there because Atlanta is a hot spot for this sort of thing Protests and grandstanding, not to mention that he is a Marine and will surely come under fire becuase of that as well by anti war/military folk.

Nobody once metioned "black protests", get over yourself.

Until you have proof that someone here posted anything "racist" STFU bitch boy

Don't ever call me or anyone here a racist again until you have some sort of definitive proof.

And Monkey4food (sorry I wasn't correct on the username), I don't care if I am still new here, I doubt jettio was ever funny

ragedogg69
05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Here in Arizona it is easy as pie to get a license to carry concealed. Hardly anyone bothers with it though since everyone is allowed to carry a non-concealed side arm

In line at McDonalds, at the gas station, anywhere you go you see people with big old hog-leg .44s or Glocks just hanging on their waist in case you decide to start something. It's kinda' freaky actually.

yep my girlfiend has a revolver that she carries on her hip or in her purse. it makes me feel at ease when she is on her own but i dont like it when im with her. its wierd.

kaplin42
05-31-2006, 09:48 AM
I love that this happened. Way to go for the marine. Sticking up for yourself against 4 thugs, good job.

And for the one who asked about the pocket knife might not be big enough to kill someone. Its about 2 inches to the heart, so if your blade is that long, then yes, you can do quite a lot of damage.

Seems that fear and resentment of criminals has poisoned your soul. Damn shame really.

What kind of tree hugging, hippy crap is this statement? You know what, no I don't fear criminals, but I sure as hell resent them. Our prisons are over crowded, costing the tax payers 100's of millions of dollars a year.

Beyond that, this country has taken a very skewed vision of crime, the criminals and the victims. It seems that the sympathy, and loyalty always go to the guilty, and the victim is left with nothing but
"Well, he/she more than likely deserved it" . How about getting a little upset over the fact, that this all would be avoided if the criminal had not commited the crime. The marine would not be in possible danger of a civil suit, and worse yet, have the fact that he killed a 17 year old girl on his concience if the 4 thugs had not commited the crime in the first place.

So take your "Damn shame really" comment and choke on it. Damn Hippy!!!!

Edit: Removed "pregnant" since it no longer applies.

yunghungwell
05-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Turns out she wasn't pregnant.

Just an FYI.

Contrary to earlier reports an autopsy showed that Martin was not pregnant when she was killed.

Source:http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9290011/detail.html

jettio
05-31-2006, 06:31 PM
I love that this happened. Way to go for the marine. Sticking up for yourself against 4 thugs, good job.

And for the one who asked about the pocket knife might not be big enough to kill someone. Its about 2 inches to the heart, so if your blade is that long, then yes, you can do quite a lot of damage.

What kind of tree hugging, hippy crap is this statement? You know what, no I don't fear criminals, but I sure as hell resent them. Our prisons are over crowded, costing the tax payers 100's of millions of dollars a year.

Beyond that, this country has taken a very skewed vision of crime, the criminals and the victims. It seems that the sympathy, and loyalty always go to the guilty, and the victim is left with nothing but
"Well, he/she more than likely deserved it" . How about getting a little upset over the fact, that this all would be avoided if the criminal had not commited the crime. The marine would not be in possible danger of a civil suit, and worse yet, have the fact that he killed a 17 year old girl on his concience if the 4 thugs had not commited the crime in the first place.

So take your "Damn shame really" comment and choke on it. Damn Hippy!!!!

You apparently use enough hallucinogenic drugs that maybe you are the hippy.

My first post truthfully pointed out that that the "hero" in this story had a better perspective on the event than the couple of hateful idiots that were posting nonsense in the thread.

Rausch, who is usually pretty smart, then pretended to be ignorant of something that obvious enough to have already been pointed out in the thread by a couple of people and then made some sick remarks that were not even close to being funny.

I can respond to a crappy post that quotes a previous post of mine.

I am not sure what kind of acid trip you are on that made you imagine all of the nonsense in your last full paragraph, but each and every sentence is from your imagination since nobody sided up with the attackers in this story.

Some of the posts in this thread are shameful, and I do what I can to keep weak and spiteful people from feeling like Chiefs planet is their place to vent hateful evidence of a shrivelled up nutsack.

jettio
05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Jettio

Get off of your friggin high horse dude. I never said anything about white/black. I am bringing up the possibility that Rep. McKinney and Jesse would be there because Atlanta is a hot spot for this sort of thing Protests and grandstanding, not to mention that he is a Marine and will surely come under fire becuase of that as well by anti war/military folk.

Nobody once metioned "black protests", get over yourself.

Until you have proof that someone here posted anything "racist" STFU bitch boy

Don't ever call me or anyone here a racist again until you have some sort of definitive proof.

And Monkey4food (sorry I wasn't correct on the username), I don't care if I am still new here, I doubt jettio was ever funny

Sometimes it is just better to admit to making a stoopid assumption, but if you want to keep digging make the most of it..

I going to make the bold prediction that there will not be any protests in Atlanta led by any of the people that you mention and that no anti-military people will bother giving that guy a hard time.

jettio
05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
He should get a share of all the food stamp money that he just saved the government.

Your post comes close to making this a political thread.

Maybe you could apply your wit and wisdom to make some observations about the people in charge.

The people in power have more of an effect than anybody that gets food stamps, you never seem to have an opinion about the people with the power to make decisions that affect people.

Spicy McHaggis
05-31-2006, 07:18 PM
thats awesome! I wish I could kick ass like that if I needed to!

Join the USMC.

58-4ever
05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Our prisons are over crowded, costing the tax payers 100's of millions of dollars a year.

If we could stop sending innocent drug offenders to jail with madatory minimum sentencing, this would be far less of an issue. The percentage of Americans in prison has doubled since 1985, mostly because of the "war on drugs". We are losing this war worse than Vietnam.

FAX
05-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I have a legal theory.

Every 10 years, we get rid of ALL the laws except homicide, murder, molestation, criminal assault, etc. (more or less capital crimes that involve a victim). All the other laws are wiped from the books. Then, we can decide all over again which laws are legitimate and reasonable.

This will cut down on attorneys, save us tons of money in public defender fees, prison costs, and police, and require those who want new laws to argue their importance to the citizenry.

In FAXland, this is what we would do.

FAX

Adept Havelock
05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
If we could stop sending innocent drug offenders to jail with madatory minimum sentencing, this would be far less of an issue. The percentage of Americans in prison has doubled since 1985, mostly because of the "war on drugs". We are losing this war worse than Vietnam.
Yes, but what about the immense cost to the economy when the private prison industry built on the back of those foolish laws collapses? [/sarcasm]

J Diddy
05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Not only are you too stooopid to see the obvious, you actually seem to think that the guy defending himself had a great time.

He did not lie in wait with the intent of putting "general ruination" on anyone, and your remark is not funny. It is sick.

It'll be alright, sugar.

Really.

Iron Chef
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Not that it matters any, but the ex-marine is black.