PDA

View Full Version : Good MP3 Players

Jenson71
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm looking for something under $100. I've got my sights set on Creative Zen Nano Plus 1 GB for $70. Any opinions on that one? I've got a HP Labtop I'd be using it with.

Also, what's the difference between an IPod and an MP3 Player. Far as I can tell, it's the price.

Hammock Parties
05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
If you want more space, you can get it for that price. The mp3 player might be a little older, but I love my Creative Nomad Jukebox.

If you've only got 1 GB of music, go for it.

Hammock Parties
05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Also, what's the difference between an IPod and an MP3 Player.

Marketing.

Reaper16
05-31-2006, 03:04 AM
The iTunes program and download service. Other than that, nothing.
My choice of 60GB iPod was driven by the fact that I was already using iTunes a lot. If you don't manage music with iTunes, then buy a less expensive model from Creative or something.

Simplex3
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
My biggest suggestion is this: listen to them before you buy one. Some of them sound like s**t.

jspchief
05-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Marketing.That's not entirely true. I have an Ipod and a Rio Carbon, and the Ipod is definately superior.

The Ipod has a lot of great functions that many others don't. I'd make sure and compare features. The ability to build playlists on the fly, the way the player categorizes the music, etc.

There's more to an MP3 player than storage.

For under $100, I don't expect there to be many features available anyway.

jAZ
05-31-2006, 08:53 PM
The Ipod has a lot of great functions that many others don't. I'd make sure and compare features. The ability to build playlists on the fly, the way the player categorizes the music, etc.
I was shocked at how crappy the fuctionality was on my wife's 40GB RCA Lyra Jukebox.

She actually has to load playlists up in advance using her computer. And if you want to listen to something other than an album or an existing play list (like, if you want try to scroll through and listen to a specific song... you are SOL.

If you want to add a "play next" song to start once your current song finishes? Hell no.

All this (lack) of functionality for $249 (used) at the time.

I was pissed (though it was hers so it didn't directly affect me too much). I have the Creative Nomad Zen 40GB. It's great if it is a little too bulky for the gym.

Gaz
06-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I am going to sidestep the whole iPod issue. Those who love them will hear no bad and those who hate them will hear no good. Personally, I do not like the way iTunes takes over my files and you can get a whole lot more features for less money by avoiding the Pods. I had iTunes on my computer for a while and removed it after a short time. YMMV. Anyway, unless you are interested in the Shuffle [with no screen and a non-removable battery], iPods are our of your price range.

Creative makes some good audio players. I have had a MuVo [no screen, yuck] and a Nomad [old-school tech], and they had nice sound and were fairly sturdy. The battery pack on the MuVo finally gave out, so I am using it as a jump drive.

The downside to the Creative Nano, IMO, is the AAA battery and the teeny, tiny screen. I prefer an AA battery because they seem to last so much longer. And your eyes may not be as old a mine, in which case the screen should not be an issue. You are not likely to find 1G for less.

FWIW, my audio player is an iRiver IFP-790. I have been very happy with it. Small, great sound, FM radio, memo recording, radio recording and [best of all] line-in recording [so I do not have to break up Boston's "Walk On Suite" into separate files]. But unless you buy it used or refurbished [and I do not know how you feel about that], you are not going to get under the $100 ceiling.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had good experiences with Creative players.

Jenson71
06-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Thank you all, very much.