PDA

View Full Version : Cure for snoring?

Bowser
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Is there any good ideas on how to cure snoring? Apparently, I resemble a freight train at times during the night, although the whole family shares the affliction, minus my daughter who had her tonsils and adnoids taken out.

I woke up this morning to find out that the wife turned on our attic fan just to try to cover up some of the noise. Kind of sad, really. How can a person snore so loud, and not be aware of it?

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated (hopefully I just didn't open Pandora's Box with that disclaimer).

Katipan
05-31-2006, 08:23 AM
those nose strip thingys helped my step dad.

a sharp elbow is always my preferred choice.

JBucc
05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Have your wife duct tape your mouth and nose shut after you go to sleep.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Have your wife duct tape your mouth and nose shut after you go to sleep.

I don't think you'd have to work hard to convince her to try that.

ENDelt260
05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't think you'd have to work hard to convince her to try that.
The "wait until he sleeps" part might be a tough sell.

BigRedChief
05-31-2006, 08:41 AM
I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist for 9 years. Plus I have sleep apnea and a very loud snoring history. Key word is history. Thing of the past.

90% of the time the reason for snoring is your tongue falling back into your throat and partially blocking your trachea(windpipe). The only cure for that is the CPAP machine. It goes over your mouth and nose or into your nostrils and blows a constant air pressure into your lungs and windpipe to keep your tongue from falling back into your airway.

Ask your wife if you ever quit breathing during the night for brief periods? If so you need the machine. If you don't use it you are taking years off of your life because of the stress your body is in while you are trying to sleep.

Want some more info pm me.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 08:43 AM
The "wait until he sleeps" part might be a tough sell.

Indeed. She never has been patient when it comes to trying to kill me.

I'm off to work. Hopefully the love of my life hasn't figured out how to cut my brake lines.

JBucc
05-31-2006, 08:44 AM
90% of the time the reason for snoring is your tongue falling back into your throat and partially blocking your trachea(windpipe).

Want some more info pm me.Oh. Well in that case all she has to do is staple your tounge to your lip. Forget the tape.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist for 9 years. Plus I have sleep apnea and a very loud snoring history. Key word is history. Thing of the past.

90% of the time the reason for snoring is your tongue falling back into your throat and partially blocking your trachea(windpipe). The only cure for that is the CPAP machine. It goes over your mouth and nose or into your nostrils and blows a constant air pressure into your lungs and windpipe to keep your tongue from falling back into your airway.

Ask your wife if you ever quit breathing during the night for brief periods? If so you need the machine. If you don't use it you are taking years off of your life because of the stress your body is in while you are trying to sleep.

Interesting. I have to run, but I'll be in touch with you later about this.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh. Well in that case all she has to do is staple your tounge to your lip. Forget the tape.

The term "tits on a boar hog" comes to mind.

:D

htismaqe
05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
If you have sleep apnea and your snoring is coming from your tongue or throat, CPAP machine will cure it.

If you have a flimsy soft palette that's causing it, you should try the Pillar procedure.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 09:02 AM
If you have sleep apnea and your snoring is coming from your tongue or throat, CPAP machine will cure it.

If you have a flimsy soft palette that's causing it, you should try the Pillar procedure.

I'm not sure which it is. It seems like that last few months the snoring has become an issue. I have a nephew that has apnea, so it does run in the family.

All I know that here lately, I'm feeling tired all day, and have been sporting dark bags under the eyes, which is a new thing for me.

What is this Pillar procedure you speak of?

Now I've REALLY got to get going. I'll check back tonight. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

htismaqe
05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure which it is. It seems like that last few months the snoring has become an issue. I have a nephew that has apnea, so it does run in the family.

All I know that here lately, I'm feeling tired all day, and have been sporting dark bags under the eyes, which is a new thing for me.

What is this Pillar procedure you speak of?

Now I've REALLY got to get going. I'll check back tonight. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/surgery/a/Pillar.htm

Definitely an alternative if you're not into the thought of wearing a mask every night. I had CPAP for a month and it was so ****ing annoying and hard to sleep that I lost 40 pounds and cured my sleep apnea that way.

Monty
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a "friend" who snores very loudly and he has found these to be very beneficial:

http://www.breatheright.com/

Bob Dole
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Bob Dole's father finally (after years of keeping everyne else in the house awake) went to a sleep lab a few years ago for his sleep apnea. The breathing machine has improved his quality of life 200%.

Simplex3
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I lost 70lbs and it damn near cured my snoring issue.

Bob Dole
05-31-2006, 10:52 AM

Bob Dole dropped about that much and it helped reduce the problem to a bearable level. Bob Dole fully expects to have to resort to more extreme solutions in the future, though.

GoHuge
05-31-2006, 10:56 AM
The Pillar procedure is not necessarily the best option. First you need to get a sleep study, secondly if you meet protocol which usually means you have moderate sleep apnea. This is based on what is called your Apnea/hypopnea or respiratory distress index. They will initiate CPAP treatment. You will also want to consult with an ear, nose, and throat doctor to see if you have anatomy issues contributing to your snoring/apnea. These will not fix themselves. Nasal septal deformity and a thick dependent soft palate, enlarged tonsils, and uvula are the main culprits regarding anatomy problems. The biggest contributing factor to snoring/sleep apnea is being overweight. You need to get the sleep study, see an ENT (to check for anatomy problems) and weigh the options given to you. There usually there isn't one particular treatment that cures someones problem. Usually it is one or both surgeries septum and UPPP. The pillar procedure is a tweener surgery that leaves the job half done, it is effect for some people but it is purely dependent on there particular apnea/anatomy situation, however the recovery time is faster than the recovery of a UPPP. CPAP or BiPAP therapy can be utilized solely but if you have a septum that is all out of whack the setting maybe to high for you to tolerate. As some guys stated above you are taking years off your life if you are letting sleep apnea go undiagnosed and treated. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Predarat
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I have a "friend" who snores very loudly and he has found these to be very beneficial:

http://www.breatheright.com/
Those helped me as well! BUt that might be for a different type of snoring.

ArrowheadHawk
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
have your family doctor schedule you a sleep study and based on that study you will either need to see a sleep doctor or a ear nose and throat guy...i have sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap machine...the side effects of using the machine is i don't snore

Goddess Tara
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
My husband has lost 80 lbs and no more snoring that could wake up the dead. I noticed a difference about 20 lbs in and he totally stopped about 40 lbs into his weight loss. Now he snores when he's absolutely exhausted, but it's a totally different kind of snoring.

BigRedChief
05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Bob Dole's father finally (after years of keeping everyne else in the house awake) went to a sleep lab a few years ago for his sleep apnea. The breathing machine has improved his quality of life 200%.
Yeah, no one dies from Sleep Apnea or snoring but wearing the cpap at night while you sleep will sure improve your quality of life.

KCFalcon59
05-31-2006, 12:03 PM
I just had a sleep study done last week. I am in the first week of using the CPAP machine. It's been somewhat hard to adjust to sleeping with that contraption on my face. They told me it would take a few weeks to get adjusted to it. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Monkeylook4food
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
In Malaysia the cure is to sever one's penis.

BigRedChief
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
I just had a sleep study done last week. I am in the first week of using the CPAP machine. It's been somewhat hard to adjust to sleeping with that contraption on my face. They told me it would take a few weeks to get adjusted to it. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Make sure you are using the nasal pillows.

Give it two weeks. It takes at least that long to get use to it.

Don't open your mouth at all, don't try to breathe through your mouth.

Try to go to bed when you are really tired. Makes it easier to fall asleep.

Wear ear plugs to block out the machine noise and the wind noise from the device.

Once you master it you will get a good nights sleep for the first time in years.

Monkeylook4food
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Awesome. Congratulations to all those who lost weight. I lost 30 lbs and, uh gained it back.

ArrowheadHawk
05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Make sure you are using the nasal pillows.

Give it two weeks. It takes at least that long to get use to it.

Don't open your mouth at all, don't try to breathe through your mouth.

Try to go to bed when you are really tired. Makes it easier to fall asleep.

Wear ear plugs to block out the machine noise and the wind noise from the device.

Once you master it you will get a good nights sleep for the first time in years.
i have new cpap been using it for 2 monthes i have a full face mask because i breath through my mouth, it took a little while to get used to it but there was no need to wear earplugs the new machines aren't very loud at all i can still have a conversation with my wife while wearing the mask with the machine on. the greatest thing about my cpap is that it has a built in humidifier so i don't wake up with a sore throat anymore

Scaga
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Have your wife sit on your face at night. It won't stop the snoring, but she sure as hell won't mind it as much! ROFL

BigRedChief
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
i have new cpap been using it for 2 monthes i have a full face mask because i breath through my mouth, it took a little while to get used to it but there was no need to wear earplugs the new machines aren't very loud at all i can still have a conversation with my wife while wearing the mask with the machine on. the greatest thing about my cpap is that it has a built in humidifier so i don't wake up with a sore throat anymore

Screw those face masks. I like the nasal pillows. But to each his own.

Simplex3
05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Awesome. Congratulations to all those who lost weight. I lost 30 lbs and, uh gained it back.
No congratulations due yet, I have another ~40lbs to go.

Bowser
05-31-2006, 10:19 PM

This more than likely is my problem. I blew my shoulder out at work last July, and then pretty much sat on my ass for the better part of six months going through surgery and rehab. During that time, I ballooned up to near ridiculous levels. I've lost a little, but I've got a long way to go.

Monkeylook4food
05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Has anybody suggested a bowl of antifreeze yet?

Mr. Kotter
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
This more than likely is my problem. I blew my shoulder out at work last July, and then pretty much sat on my ass for the better part of six months going through surgery and rehab. During that time, I ballooned up to near ridiculous levels. I've lost a little, but I've got a long way to go.

I realize there are people who suffer from sleep apnea, and benefit from the treatments and surgeries mentioned here. However, I think sleep apnea has become to over-weight adults (myself included, FWIW) version of ADD: a "medical" diagnosis for a lack of discipline and self-control.

I am NOT saying there isn't a problem with many people--because clearly there is. But sleep apnea, like ADD/HD is over-diagnosed, IMHO, because it allows people to dodge responsibility for their own problems. It also allows doctors a chance to say, "here, take this drug--use this machine--consider this surgery" which is a lot less controversial and upsetting to patients than "get off your fat ass, exercise and back off the beer and ribs."

All I know, is my snoring and "sleep apnea"-like symptoms increased dramatically with my weight, and I've noticed a significant retreat in those symptoms as I've lost weight (in the past--I'm up again, of late.....)

In many cases, losing weight through exercise and better eating habits is a lot less expensive than the alternatives, and likely more effective in the long term, IMHO. It won't hurt to try that route first. It's what I'm gonna try doing, again, here over the summer. Good luck, Bowser.

Halfcan
05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
She could get ear plugs, or just give you sex then sleep on the couch-lol

MOhillbilly
06-01-2006, 09:05 AM
make her sleep in the garage.

bogie
06-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm a snorer, here's what helps me. Don't eat late, don't drink alchohal late, blow your nose well before bed, I spray a salene solution in both nostrils just before bed, use the sticky strips. I find that the more clear my nose is the less mouth breating I do.

greg63
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
This more than likely is my problem. I blew my shoulder out at work last July, and then pretty much sat on my ass for the better part of six months going through surgery and rehab. During that time, I ballooned up to near ridiculous levels. I've lost a little, but I've got a long way to go.This is more then likley the problem. If you lose the weight, it will definitely help. Did you snore before you gained?

Monty
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Have your wife sit on your face at night. It won't stop the snoring, but she sure as hell won't mind it as much! ROFL

Yeah, but wouldn't you end up dreaming about tuna all the time? ;)