PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer on the Moore hiring

FringeNC
06-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Pretty much echoes Posnanski that the Glass boys need to STFD and STFU if Moore is to be successful. Also, evidently Glass vetoed a trade that would gave gotten a top prospect from the Angels for Sweeney.

Royals need luck and skill
By Rob Neyer
ESPN Insider

The thing about baseball is, you always figure you've got a chance. The more optimistic among us feel that way every spring, while the more pessimistic (or realistic) among us know this season isn't going to end happily but maybe next season, or the season after, or even the season after that.
Examples in recent years abound, but perhaps the best is right before us. Three years ago, the Detroit Tigers lost 119 games. Two of their starting pitchers combined for 40 losses, and their highest-paid player (a) couldn't hit and (b) was owed nearly $20 million over the next two seasons. Sure, it was a pretty young team. But it's hard to see much promise in a squad of youngsters who just lost 119 games.

Today, the Detroit Tigers have the best record in the major leagues. In the eyeblink that's two years and two months, the Tigers have somehow transmogrified from very worst to very best. And if the Tigers could do it, then why not the Royals?

The key figures in this drama, of course, are new general manager Dayton Moore and owner David Glass. If they're not dancing the same dance, the situation will improve, can improve, only marginally. If they're together, though, respectability within three seasons is a reasonable expectation. There is, however, a supporting player in the drama. If you don't follow the Royals, you might even know the name: Dan Glass.

Yes, the owner's son is involved, and that's rarely a good thing. In the old days, when baseball was often a family business, maybe it made sense. Walter O'Malley's son knew something about baseball because he grew up around it. Same with Clark Griffith's son, and Bob Carpenter's. But when Dan Glass, then in his 30s, gained employment with the Royals in 1993, it was solely because his father had just taken over as Chairman of the Board. Here was the younger Glass' work and education experience before joining the club as baseball operations assistant (from a recent media guide):

Prior to joining the Royals, he spent six years as an owner in the jewelry retail business and worked in Glass Enterprises, focusing on real estate development projects.

He attended Southwest Missouri State University and graduated from Drury College with a bachelor's degree in business administration. Before entering college, Dan worked in management for five years with Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, Ark., and as an assistant manager in Tahlequah, Okla., Tulsa, Okla., and Carbondale, Ill.

Read that again -- while recalling that Dan's father was making a fortune as a top Wal-Mart executive during those years -- and make up your own mind about our young squire's demonstrated talents. Then again, maybe Dan was just a late bloomer. But did he do so well as baseball operations assistant that he deserved, two years later, a promotion to assistant director of player personnel? Did he do so well in that position that he deserved, three years later, a promotion to president of the Kansas City Royals?

Sure. It's possible. But I would argue that the odds against the best man for the job just happening to be the owner's son were exceedingly high.

Moore replaces Allard Baird, who hasn't really been running the team for some time. Baird's trades, it should be said, haven't worked out so well. When he traded Carlos Beltran and got John Buck, Mark Teahen and Mike Wood, he could have gotten Kevin Youkilis, Kelly Shoppach, and one of the Red Sox's better pitching prospects (and he could have done even better if he hadn't been obsessed with getting a third baseman, a catcher, and a pitcher). His preferred free agents haven't performed well, either.

But Baird also worked out a deal that would have sent Mike Sweeney to the Angels, and netted one of the Angels' very best prospects; Dan Glass vetoed that one. Baird worked out a deal that would have sent Joe Randa to the Cubs and netted Matt Murton; Glass vetoed that one, too.

A few days ago, David Glass actually told Kansas City Star reporter Bob Dutton, "I'm not smart enough to make baseball decisions. So I leave that to people who are." Except, of course, he didn't. He left a few of them to Baird, who might or might not be smart enough to make baseball decisions. And he left a bunch of them -- including many of the important ones, apparently -- to Dan Glass, who obviously is not smart enough to make baseball decisions. The Glasses also decided to go real, real cheap after the first few rounds of the amateur drafts, which has done exactly what you'd guess to the organizational depth.

So if you want to read tea leaves, here's the single most important question about Moore's first few months at the helm: Is Dan Glass out of the loop? Because if Glass is still in the loop, then things aren't likely to get much better. Reports suggest that Moore has "written assurances" -- for what they're worth -- that he'll have complete control over baseball operations. If that means what it sounds like it means, and if the owner loosens the purse strings at draft time, there's no reason the Royals can't lose fewer than 100 games in 2007, and fewer than 90 in 2008. But fewer than 80 losses in 2009? That's going to require a little luck and a lot of skill (or vice versa).

Oh, and one more thing: Buddy Bell absolutely, positively, indubitably must go. It's probably not going to happen immediately, because he's favored by Glass & Son. But Bell is obviously incompetent -- most and maybe all of the stupid roster decisions this spring were his -- and replacing him with just an average manager would make a five- or six-game difference all by itself.

Moore takes control after the draft, and initially his options will be limited. The farm system's thin, and at the moment only Mark Grudzielanek remotely resembles trade bait. But if Dan and Buddy are ignored and/or jettisoned, and if Moore is as good as advertised, there really is reason for hope in Kansas City. For the first time in a long time.

siberian khatru
06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Everything I've read about how this organization has been run in recent years makes me want to vomit.

KevB
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Everything I've read about how this organization has been run in recent years makes me want to vomit.

Just the thought that the R's could have Murton and a guy like Howie Kendrick right now if not for Jr. makes me sick. Not to mention the money created by dumping Sweeney and Randa at the time.

sedated
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
It's nice to hear someone with some real clout saying this stuff.

I hope it gets better, but it can't get worse.

KCChiefsFan88
06-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Dan Glass sounds like Carl Peterson

alpha_omega
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM

Amen!

chief2000
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Where is the proof that Glass got involved in the Sweeney trade?

tomahawk kid
06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Makes you wonder if the Royals would have been better off with Miles Prentice as the owner.

The kicker is going cheap in the draft. You just can't do that and keep a team afloat.

F#ckin Glass cheap a$$ c*ck suckin b@stages.

:cuss:

FringeNC
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Where is the proof that Glass got involved in the Sweeney trade?

I guess Posnanski and Neyer are just making up all this stuff front office guys have told them.

How can we ever have proof of that anyway, absence of a video of it.

petegz28
06-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Ummm no sorry. That's almost enough to get a neg rep. You canNOT compare Dan Glass to CeePee.

CeePee turned the Chiefs around and started selling out Arrowhead.
Sure he has made some bung headed moves but all GM's do.

Braincase
06-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Dan Glass makes Carl Peterson look like this guy...

KCChiefsFan88
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Ummm no sorry. That's almost enough to get a neg rep. You canNOT compare Dan Glass to CeePee.

Funny thing since Dan Glass became President of the Royals 7 years ago, the Chiefs and the Royals have the exact same number of playoff wins.

ZERO

Sfeihc
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
The fish rots from the head.

chiefqueen
06-01-2006, 04:25 PM

Agreed, compare Dan Glass to Schaaf, Miller, & Steadman who were making personnel decisions for the Chiefs from 1986 thru 1988.

Remember...............

Ethan Horton (85) - a great pick and productive player (FOR THE RAIDERS)

Brian Joziak (sp?) - KC's #1 pick in 86 who a doctor later diagnosed with a vertabrae abnormality in the neck basically said he should have never been allowed to play FB.

Paul Palmer (87) - now, some may feel he had the right idea in late 1988 when he spoke openly about throwing a late-season game so Frank Ganz would get fired. (He was suspended one game for those comments.)

Eleazar
06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Makes you wonder if the Royals would have been better off with Miles Prentice as the owner.

Why do you think Prentice would have been more spendy? He didn't even have enough money to buy the team.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
i still just remeber Rob neyer being the urkel of high school.

a wedgie a day keeps the girls away

Sure-Oz
06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm curious what Angels prospect it was. I believe all this negative press and heat may finally get glass to keep his meddling hands out of it. No way he should **** with Dayton Moore, we were very lucky to get this guy.

Eleazar
06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
i still just remeber Rob neyer being the urkel of high school.

a wedgie a day keeps the girls away

haha. Did you know him?

I like his column, and I have one of his books. I knew he was a fan but I didn't know he grew up around here.

Eleazar
06-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm curious what Angels prospect it was. I believe all this negative press and heat may finally get glass to keep his meddling hands out of it. No way he should **** with Dayton Moore, we were very lucky to get this guy.

I can't remember his name, but I remember hearing it was that shortstop. He was supposedly almost big league ready and was one of the top prospects in all of the major leagues.

Trading maybe the best right-handed hitter in baseball is always going to be tough, and hindsight is 20/20 here, but if Allard was really down on Berroa back then I can't see why he wouldn't have done it.

I never saw Baird as a guy who was afraid to try to make big deals and make the team better in the future. I think his legacy will be of someone who could go on to be a GM or an assistant GM at another club and be very successful.

Sure-Oz
06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I can't remember his name, but I remember hearing it was that shortstop. He was supposedly almost big league ready and was one of the top prospects in all of the major leagues.

Trading maybe the best right-handed hitter in baseball is always going to be tough, and hindsight is 20/20 here, but if Allard was really down on Berroa back then I can't see why he wouldn't have done it.

I never saw Baird as a guy who was afraid to try to make big deals and make the team better in the future. I think his legacy will be of someone who could go on to be a GM or an assistant GM at another club and be very successful.
I believe they have 2 shortstops in that system that are very good, i believe Erik Aybar or something like that would've been my choice i cant remember for sure though.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
haha. Did you know him?

I like his column, and I have one of his books. I knew he was a fan but I didn't know he grew up around here.

Yea, he went to high school in overland park

heh :)

tomahawk kid
06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Why do you think Prentice would have been more spendy? He didn't even have enough money to buy the team.

I have no evidence.

i just don't think it could be any worse.

Eleazar
06-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I believe they have 2 shortstops in that system that are very good, i believe Erik Aybar or something like that would've been my choice i cant remember for sure though.

I don't remember now, it's been 2 years ago or so, but if you can acquire a top level talent like that you have to do it.

That's why I think it's not hard to believe that the Glasses got involved. After all, in 2004 when the team was mired in last place and a Beltran trade was imminent, who was going to come out to the park to see a Sweeneyless team?

It would have sucked for the whole team to be scrapped in a sentimental way, but 2004 when it was clear that the year before was a story of overachievement and emotion rather than a solid baseball team ready to compete, it was time for the fire sale. I think a lot of the non-success of the Royals has been due to the fact that they were too afraid to slap the for sale sign on vets when they weren't ready yet.

You can hang that on Baird if you want, but I don't believe he wanted to sit on guys like Randa who were several years past their prime, and I don't believe either in 2003 that the bat Baird was trying to add to the lineup during trade season was Rondell White. It all smacks of being forced to do things half assed.

Sure-Oz
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
In other news....Greinke starts for AA wichita Friday....this will be interesting!

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14718237.htm
Greinke to pitch for Wranglers on Friday
Eagle staff
Royals pitcher Zack Greinke will make his first start of the season Friday night for the Wranglers against San Antonio, the Wranglers announced this afternoon.

Greinke missed most of spring training after leaving for personal reasons. He has been getting his arm ready at Kansas City's training facility in Surprise, Ariz.

Greinke pitched for Wichita in 2004, going 4-3 with a 3.23 ERA.

It's not immediately known if Greinke will make more than one start in Wichita.

For more, check Friday's Eagle.

Sure-Oz
06-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't remember now, it's been 2 years ago or so, but if you can acquire a top level talent like that you have to do it.

That's why I think it's not hard to believe that the Glasses got involved. After all, in 2004 when the team was mired in last place and a Beltran trade was imminent, who was going to come out to the park to see a Sweeneyless team?

It would have sucked for the whole team to be scrapped in a sentimental way, but 2004 when it was clear that the year before was a story of overachievement and emotion rather than a solid baseball team ready to compete, it was time for the fire sale. I think a lot of the non-success of the Royals has been due to the fact that they were too afraid to slap the for sale sign on vets when they weren't ready yet.

You can hang that on Baird if you want, but I don't believe he wanted to sit on guys like Randa who were several years past their prime, and I don't believe either in 2003 that the bat Baird was trying to add to the lineup during trade season was Rondell White. It all smacks of being forced to do things half assed.

I believe Baird was really never given a shot, i guarantee a repeat of the glasses meddling may cause major pain for them in KC personally! This team has been run wrong and Baird didn't get a shot, we are the joke of the league thanks to Glass and his douche bag son! Let's hope both can stay on the business side and learn from their mistakes, cause Dayton Moore may save this franchise if given the oppurtunity.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
For some reason this reminds me of...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/41193