PDA

View Full Version : lions sign verba, kitna inside tract on starting QB job

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Updated: May 31, 2006, 3:45 PM ET
Lions sign guard Verba, release QB KingESPN.com news services

DETROIT -- The Detroit Lions signed free-agent guard Ross Verba and released quarterback Shaun King on Wednesday.

Verba

Verba, who didn't play football in 2005 after eight seasons with Cleveland and Green Bay, inked a one-year deal with additional option years.

Verba has started 100 games after being drafted 30th overall by the Packers in 1997. He started at left tackle during Green Bay's Super Bowl appearance his rookie year.

The eight-year veteran started all 16 games for Cleveland at left tackle in 2004, but then was publicly critical of the organization last summer. In part, Verba talked himself off the team, but his freedom also had a price. The Browns forced him to repay a $465,000 roster bonus that Verba had received earlier in the offseason before granting him his release.

Although he garnered interest from a few teams after his release, none of them offered Verba a contract he felt approximated his value, and he sat out the entire year. There had been reports this offseason that Verba worked out for some teams and hoped to return to the league.

Verba, who missed the 2003 season with a biceps injury, played under Lions offensive line coach Larry Beightol in 1999 and 2000.

It is not yet known how the Lions plan to use Verba, who has played at various times at every offensive line position except center. Detroit already has a standout left tackle in five-year veteran Jeff Backus, who was designated by the Lions as a franchise player this spring, and who two weeks ago signed the one-year qualifying offer. Right tackle Kelly Butler struggled in 2005, his first season as a starter, and it could be that Verba challenges him for the starting spot.

King, 28, was the first of three veteran free agent quarterbacks added by the Lions in the offseason, but quickly was nudged down the depth chart when Detroit also added Jon Kitna and Josh McCown. He did not play in 2005 but, in six seasons, most of them spent with Tampa Bay, he completed 415 of 736 passes for 4,566 yards, with 27 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

JBucc
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
www.lionsplanet.com (www.chiefsplanet.com)

ct
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
you guys talk football in here? SWEET!

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
you guys talk football in here? SWEET!

i'm trying :thumb:

htismaqe
06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
lions sign verba, kitna inside tract on starting QB job

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

htismaqe
06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
i'm trying :thumb:

And I'm doing my best to turn it into a "poop" thread. ;)

Mr. Laz
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
And I'm doing my best to turn it into a "poop" thread. ;)

i think BD has that covered already :p

ct
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Man Josh McCown must really be a tool, to lose out to Kitna. And early on this off-season I really wanted KC to sign him up as our backup and potential QBOTF. :eek:

jAZ
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
The last time Kitna was a starter, people were wondering what Cinci was going to do with their #1 overall draft pick sitting on the bench. Kitna kicked ass that year.

htismaqe
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I still want to know if Ross Verba is truly big enough that Jon Kitna can fit in his colon...

CoMoChief
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
The last time Kitna was a starter, people were wondering what Cinci was going to do with their #1 overall draft pick sitting on the bench. Kitna kicked ass that year.

And Martz is good at developing QB's. Kitna should be even better than he was that season.

ct
06-01-2006, 03:39 PM
football threads get a bump