PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect Hali to hold out

Hammock Parties
06-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Don't Expect Hali To Hold Out

By Jeffrey Rake

When the Chiefs drafted Penn State defensive end Tamba Hali with the 20th pick, many fans felt that the pick was a reach and that Hali might not be able to come in and contribute immediately. It might be a while before he even sees the field.

But Hali, who won the Big 10 Defensive Lineman of the Year award in 2005, has been impressive in his early on-field workouts. Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards has raved about Hali’s motor and work ethic. It’s becoming more and more obvious that he could be starting opposite Jared Allen on opening day against Cincinnati.

Although Hali has all the physical skills to be a productive player, there’s still one remaining obstacle that needs to be cleared: He needs to sign a contract.

And that’s just another reason why Chiefs fans should absolutely love the Hali pick.

Don’t expect to see a repeat of 2002, when defensive tackle Ryan Sims had a lengthy holdout and missed almost all of training camp. Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson feuded with Sims and his agent as the two sides couldn’t come to an agreement – the biggest problem being an escalator clause in the contract. Sims played a few games in 2002 before missing the rest of the season with an elbow injury.

Peterson also had problems in 1999, when first-round pick John Tait held out and rejected numerous offers, eventually leaving Arrowhead Stadium with some ill feelings. Ethan Locke, Tait’s agent, told the Associated Press that Peterson had tried to bully Tait during negotiations.

“He used the ‘F’ word four or five times when he was yelling at John and trying to intimidate him,” Locke said. “It takes a lot of nerve for a 24-year-old kid to say no to $4 million on principle.”

Given Hali’s maturity and his desire to bring his mother to the United States (she is trapped in Liberia), his last concern will be a couple of clauses in a contract that gives him more money than he could ever dream of. Hali understands that the quicker he signs, the better the chance he’ll have of saving his mother from a country at war.

Jim Ivler, Hali’s agent, will have the dual role of getting a contract done with the Chiefs and bringing Hali’s mother to the United States. Clearly, financial stability would help speed up the process.

So, should Chiefs fans worry about a potential holdout? Probably not. Hali is too grateful for the opportunity he has and feels blessed to be in the position that he’s in.

“It’s a privilege being here,” Hali said. “It’s a privilege negotiating a contract. I just need to try to keep doing what I do and help the team.”

There’s no doubt that Peterson drafted a winner with his first-round choice. Hali has drawn comparisons to Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney, and Chiefs coaches expect him to make an immediate impact.

Peterson should feel confident that Hali’s development will begin at a place that was unfamiliar to Tait and Sims during their rookie campaigns: River Falls, Wisconsin, for the first day of training camp July 27.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Get it done, Carl.

Moooo
06-02-2006, 02:37 AM
I hope his agent doesn't instill some sort of attitude in him. I mean, give him what he's worth, but if he's okay with it, and KC is okay with it, I don't wanna see an agent complaining.

Moooo

Bob Dole
06-02-2006, 06:15 AM
When the Chiefs drafted Penn State defensive end Tamba Hali with the 20th pick, many fans felt that the pick was a reach and that Hali might not be able to come in and contribute immediately. It might be a while before he even sees the field.

Actually, there were a lot more media "experts" than fans who voiced that opinion.

the Talking Can
06-02-2006, 06:20 AM
the reporter is projecting....I don't see Hali or his agent saying they're to bend over for Carl because Hali's mother is "in danger"....

jspchief
06-02-2006, 06:23 AM
the reporter is projecting....I don't see Hali or his agent saying they're to bend over for Carl because Hali's mother is "in danger"....That's exactly what I thought.

Hali went 10+ years without seeing his mother. The Chiefs aren't going to be able to use that leverage to put him over a barrel now.

StcChief
06-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Hali is not likely not a heavy handed holdout like Simms/Tait though.

I'm sure if the offer is close to what others are getting 18...19 overall. He will take it.

Idahored
06-02-2006, 06:54 AM
He won't be "put over a barrel," he will be slotted just like every other first round pick.

I think it will help with the signing of all the first rounders that the first pick in the draft is already signed. That gives everyone the starting point for negotiations.

I'm guessing he will be signed sometime the week leading up to training camp or with in the first two days of camp, much like Derrick and Larry were.

the Talking Can
06-02-2006, 06:56 AM
if he doesn't hold out it is more likely because he is the 20th and not the 6th pick...not because his personal story would make a great segment on 60 Minutes...

InChiefsHeaven
06-02-2006, 07:16 AM
It does seem a bit unseemly to say "Don't worry folks, his mom is in serious jeopardy. He'll take whatever we give him. Muahahahahaha!!"

Chiefnj
06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
The article makes it sound like Carl is going to offer him a box of shiny beads and trinkets. Look Tamba this is a magic cylinder that makes fire!! Sign right now and I'll throw in this nice axe.

Rain Man
06-02-2006, 07:35 AM
I wonder if he'll sign Ricky Williams to be his agent.

chagrin
06-02-2006, 07:57 AM
The article makes it sound like Carl is going to offer him a box of shiny beads and trinkets. Look Tamba this is a magic cylinder that makes fire!! Sign right now and I'll throw in this nice axe.

ROFL
I was trying to find the words, thank you!

Kylo Ren
06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
........Hali has drawn comparisons to Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney......... If this became true, I would be very happy. Jared Allen on one side and Freeney (Hali) on the other side and Hicks on the bench would great!

Skyy God
06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I wonder if he'll sign Ricky Williams to be his agent.

Or Master P.

Chieftain58
06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Peterson will probably low ball him and he will end up holding out

Kylo Ren
06-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I, for one, don't expect Hali to hold out and it's partially because his Mother is in Liberia. I, somewhat, believe that reasoning. I don't think Arrowhead is using it as a bargaining chip. I just think it's a factor for Hali. He seems to be a high character guy.

noa
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I was trying to look this up but couldn't find anything right away so I gave up. Have any #20 picks held out for extended periods of time before? Who was the lowest pick to hold out?

BigChiefFan
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Let's hope this gets done and Hali makes a major contribution to the Chiefs. We need him on the field as soon as possible.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
It does seem a bit unseemly to say "Don't worry folks, his mom is in serious jeopardy. He'll take whatever we give him. Muahahahahaha!!"
well put

Mr. Laz
06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
and Freeney (Hali) on the other side and Hicks on the bench would great!
hicks on the bench would rule but Hali is not Freeney ... not the same type player at all imo.