PDA

View Full Version : How Much Water Do You Drink?

Donger
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Since developing a distinct dislike of soda, I've been drinking a lot of water. Before, I'd usually only have a glass of water at bedtime or a bottle when I ride. The rest of the time was coffee and soda. Now, I'm drinking what must be close to two gallons a day. I've noticed that I really do feel differently, as some of our resident fitness folks have mentioned.

So, how much water do you drink daily? Are there any ill effects of drinking that much water?

Thanks.

JBucc
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
5-6 bottles 16 oz usually

StcChief
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I drink at least 60 oz. a day

No Soda period.

Coffee or tea.

No ill effects keeps be cleaned out and regular.

Katipan
06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Not nearly enough :(

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Probably not enough. Depends on the climate. At work, I'll buy a 20 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper, then refill it 3-4 times through the night with water...

Tatertot13
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Technically you can drink too much water. I doubt you have anything to worry about though.

The fact that water can cause fatal overdoses is not well known. Often called "water intoxication" or "hyponatremia" (low salt)1, water poisoning results when too much water is ingested in too short a time without replenishing electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium.

The human body (as with other animals) maintains an equilibrium of electrolytes in the bloodstream as part of its normal operation. Sweating causes the body to lose salt, but the primary cause of hyponatremia is drinking enormous amounts of water, which dilutes the salt in the body to a dangerous level. As the electrolyte levels get dangerously out of balance, body systems begin to fail and the sufferer exhibits signs of crisis such as diarrhea, over-salivation, stupor, vomiting, muscle tremors, confusion, frequent urination and other general symptoms of illness, and their brain begins to swell. This swelling is called a 'brain edema' or 'cerebral edema' and can lead to brain damage, paralysis, and sometimes death.

Water poisoning deaths are a real (although small) problem with recreational MDMA use; for more information about this see the MDMA Health & Water Issues page. There are occasional deaths in the US and Canada from people accidentally drinking too much water, and some from intentional or forced overconsumption, such as the case of a young man required to drink two or more gallons of water as part of a college fraternity hazing ritual.

How susceptible one is to the dangers of hyponatremia seems to be partially dependent on body weight, how much food is in the system, and other factors not yet understood which make up individual variation in response. The body has a system for regulating electrolyte balance and it eliminates excess fluids through urination. Some people's urine regulation systems (partially controlled by Anti-Diuretic Hormone [ADH], also called vasopressin) do not respond as quickly in some circumstances.

Health professionals recommend taking electrolytes dissolved in liquid or eating salty snacks when drinking large amounts of water to make sure that a proper balance is being maintained. For instance, sometimes when people are trying to avoid an alcohol hangover, they may drink (or have their friends force them to drink) more water than they would normally drink. In such cases, salty crackers, chips, or some other kind of salt source can help the body absorb the water and eliminate it properly without risking further throwing the electrolytes out of balance.

ChiTown
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Between 40-60 oz's a day. I have a horrible vice as well. I drink about 3 cans of diet coke per day. I'm not a coffee drinker, so DC is where I get my caffeine.

Simplex3
06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I drink on the order of 1 gallon of water per day, then I add in one small glass of OJ with breakfast, 1 cup of hot green tea or iced tea with lunch (no sugar), and a glass or skim milk with dinner.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
78 ozs

Simplex3
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
78 ozs
Bulls**t. I'll bet it's 77.4.

MichaelH
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I try to drink at least 64 oz of water. Add all the beer I drink and it comes out to around 1 3/4 gallons a day.

4th and Long
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
On average, I drink close to 3000mls of water a day.

Taco John
06-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I try to drink at least a gallon of water a day, along with a couple glasses of fresh blended fruit juice (strawberries, oranges, blueberries, pineapple, watemelon, etc.)

KCTitus
06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
80-100oz per day. Im not sure how that converts to gallons/quarts, etc.

I cannot imagine 2 gallons, I'd pee non stop then.

ExtremeChief
06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
me no la gusta agua

keg in kc
06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Not as much as I should. I want to drink 80-100 oz. I drink probably 50-60.

The worst part is, I drink most of that in the evening, rather than the morning when I should, so I'm up all night pissing half the time.

Bootlegged
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
a lot.

Donger
06-02-2006, 10:34 AM

I cannot imagine 2 gallons, I'd pee non stop then.

One gallon = 128 ounces.
One quart = 32 ounces.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 10:35 AM

I cannot imagine 2 gallons, I'd pee non stop then.128oz/gal.
:)

noa
I chug water at work so then I have to get up to refill my bottle and go to the bathroom a bunch. It breaks up the boredom of staring at a computer all day. I would estimate I drink 100 oz. a day.

BigMeatballDave
One gallon = 128 ounces.
One quart = 32 ounces.You bastard!

KCTitus
06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
One gallon = 128 ounces.
One quart = 32 ounces.

kewl...thanks.

KCTitus
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
On a side note, I do remember hearing/reading about the fact that you can drink too much water. Ive got no link to point to, and this was a year or two ago, but I do remember it hitting the news.

morphius
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
About a gallon...

...and I'm thinking of converting my cube into a bathroom.

greg63
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Not nearly enough. Unless you count Crystal Light.

Taco John
06-02-2006, 10:51 AM
On a side note, I do remember hearing/reading about the fact that you can drink too much water. Ive got no link to point to, and this was a year or two ago, but I do remember it hitting the news.

This is true... People that are drinking a lot of water need to consider adding more sodium to their diets, to avoid hyponatremia, water poisoning. If you're drinking a lot of water, you're flushing out your electrolytes (sodium, potassium). The risk is that if you dilute these electrolytes you risk suffering from brain edema, the swelling of the brain, which could lead to brain damage or even death.

A good idea is to mix some natural sea salt into your diet to keep your electrolyte levels up. Plenty of good things in sea salt to help your body out.

Anyone who decides that they really want to pursue drinking water in large doses, which can be very healthy for you when done right, should check in with Dr. B, the water doctor.

http://www.watercure.com/

Donger
06-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone. I hate salt, so that's some good advice.

luv
06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm up to 60-70 oz on most days. I feel better, and have more energy. I've gotten to where I drink 3-4 sodas per week. I used to average 2 per day.

DaKCMan AP
06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I gave up soda about 5 years ago. I drink a few glasses of water per day and also a lot of juice.

teedubya
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I drink at least a thimble full of water....sometimes as much as a shot glass full of water.

I drink 10-12 cokes a day and at least a case of beer.

cadmonkey
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I try and drink about 4-5 big glasses of water everyday.

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Since developing a distinct dislike of soda, I've been drinking a lot of water. Before, I'd usually only have a glass of water at bedtime or a bottle when I ride. The rest of the time was coffee and soda. Now, I'm drinking what must be close to two gallons a day. I've noticed that I really do feel differently, as some of our resident fitness folks have mentioned.

So, how much water do you drink daily? Are there any ill effects of drinking that much water?

Thanks.If this unquenchable thirst came on recently, you might ought to have your blood sugar tested.

Katipan
06-02-2006, 11:57 AM
This thread inspired me to make lemonade.

And the fact that it's like 130 outside.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
This is true... People that are drinking a lot of water need to consider adding more sodium to their diets, to avoid hyponatremia, water poisoning. If you're drinking a lot of water, you're flushing out your electrolytes (sodium, potassium). The risk is that if you dilute these electrolytes you risk suffering from brain edema, the swelling of the brain, which could lead to brain damage or even death.

A good idea is to mix some natural sea salt into your diet to keep your electrolyte levels up. Plenty of good things in sea salt to help your body out.

Anyone who decides that they really want to pursue drinking water in large doses, which can be very healthy for you when done right, should check in with Dr. B, the water doctor.

http://www.watercure.com/Unless, of course, you suffer from High blood pressure. My blood pressure was borderline, so my dr. had me cut back on added salt. I pretty much replaced my sodium with potassium...

BucEyedPea
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought you had to be drinking a real LOT of water to create a bad health effect. My understanding, per my doc, is that most people don't get enough...in fact are dehydrated. That ten glasses a day are needed.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I try to drink at least a gallon of CUM a day, along with a couple glasses of fresh blended fruit juice (strawberries, oranges, blueberries, pineapple, watemelon, etc.)

Fixed it for ya.

Moooo
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Some of you might find this webpage to be of use...

http://www.dhmo.org/

Moooo

NJ Chief Fan
06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
i havent drank soda in a couple years i drink only arizona green tea

Coach
06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm trying to cut back drinking pop. So far, it's off to a good start, since normally I used to drink 3 Route 44's, Dr. Pepper a day. Now that I am trying to cut back, right now, I am only drinking 1 Route 44 Dr. Pepper, and replacing the other 2 with water. So far, it's doing good.

kcfanXIII
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
i only drink soda with liquor mixed in. some times ill have an energy drink. i've never really been a soda drinker, never really quenched my thirst. i get my caffine from tea, and the occasional red bull. i drink alot of water. couldn't tell you how much, but i drink it at home and work.

Fish
06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Technically you can drink too much water. I doubt you have anything to worry about though.

As the electrolyte levels get dangerously out of balance, body systems begin to fail and the sufferer exhibits signs of crisis such as diarrhea, over-salivation, stupor, vomiting, muscle tremors, confusion, frequent urination and other general symptoms of illness, and their brain begins to swell. This swelling is called a 'brain edema' or 'cerebral edema' and can lead to brain damage, paralysis, and sometimes death.

Yeah... this happened to me back in the day.... I was applying for this factory job and got a call that I had to drive there the next week and take a physical, which included a piss test. Well I'd been smoking more pot than Willie Nelson at Burning Man the week before, and hadn't anticipated a drug screening.... I started drinking water by the gallon, and kept drinking about 3 gallons a day for 4 days straight. I would drink too much and puke up a 1/2 gallon or so and drink more... by day 4, I was on another planet. Stupor is an understatement. I had to piss every 15 minutes, and couldn't go to the bathroom normally at all(i.e. fountain stream out the ass). I was dizzy as hell and my balance was all screwed up.... finally went to the doc and he gave me some salt tablets and told me I was a lucky idiot.... I did piss clean though....

Dunit35
06-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I usually drink probably 50-70 ozs a day at work and 1-2 20 oz cups of Coke. I use to drink 10-20 ozs of water a day and 5-6 Cokes.

Saulbadguy
06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
About 1/63 of a Hogshead.

sedated
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
There's water in beer, right?

In that case, I drink 37 bottles a day.

...most while I'm at work

Bugeater
06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Only what's in my coffee, Coke, Gatorade and beer. I rarely drink plain water.

ZepSinger
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
A gallon a day. Pretty much have said goodbye to soda.

Extra Point
06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
At least 91.2 oz.

Skip Towne
06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I drink a LOT of water. I don't measure it though.

Miles
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Roughly a gallon. I usually fill up my nalgene bottle around 4 times a day if I am not doing something outside.

Lurch
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
No enough. Anyone know how long it takes you to adjust, so you are constantly running to the pisser?

morphius
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
No enough. Anyone know how long it takes you to adjust, so you are constantly running to the pisser?
Ummm, what?

Lurch
06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Ummm, what?

Whenever I've tried to be "good" drinking water, I find myself going to the bathroom like every hour or more. Does you body adjust, over time.....so you can hold it, and not have to be running to the Can every hour?

morphius
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Whenever I've tried to be "good" drinking water, I find myself going to the bathroom like every hour or more. Does you body adjust, over time.....so you can hold it, and not have to be running to the Can every hour?
I thought that was what you were getting at, but sleep deprivation is KILLING ME.

Anyway...

I have been drinking water pretty heavily for the last year and a half, and still drinking soda. Sadly, I'm still going about every damn hour.

Lurch
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
I thought that was what you were getting at, but sleep deprivation is KILLING ME.

Anyway...

I have been drinking water pretty heavily for the last year and a half, and still drinking soda. Sadly, I'm still going about every damn hour.

Thanks. THAT'S what I was wondering.

Imon Yourside
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I usually drink about 90 oz of water a day, along with a 32 oz gatorade and every 2-3 days i'll drink a diet coke. I used to drink nothing but diet coke up until 2 years ago when i started my water fetish. I would say i do occasionally drink too much water and have had dizzy spells from it, then again most consider me to be dizzy most of the time.

Over-Head
06-02-2006, 07:23 PM

I can tell you from personal experience.
As a long haul trucker for 13 years I had trained my body to hold literly a half gallon of coffee for 3 - 4 hours.

These day’s I drink water. LOTS of it.
As a plaster and painter I can assure you I drink plenty during the day (min 2 liter’s plus.)
It’s not uncommon to see me sit down after supper and drink anywhere from 1-2 liters of water over the next 3-4 hours go to bed at 9pm (I’m up at 4:30) and not get up to pee through the night.
You’d be surprised just how long you can train your self to hold it.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't know, but I'm very particular. I can only drink it out of this one tall glass, and I have to have ice.

I also only drink water that's been filtered:

http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/644/fjordxl20ec.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

morphius
06-02-2006, 07:35 PM
I can tell you from personal experience.
As a long haul trucker for 13 years I had trained my body to hold literly a half gallon of coffee for 3 - 4 hours.

These day’s I drink water. LOTS of it.
As a plaster and painter I can assure you I drink plenty during the day (min 2 liter’s plus.)
It’s not uncommon to see me sit down after supper and drink anywhere from 1-2 liters of water over the next 3-4 hours go to bed at 9pm (I’m up at 4:30) and not get up to pee through the night.
You’d be surprised just how long you can train your self to hold it.
Of course part of it is that you are working some of it off during your job, sitting a cube is a whole different world.
Don't get me wrong, you can train your body, but still there are other factors.

Over-Head
06-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Of course part of it is that you are working some of it off during your job, sitting a cube is a whole different world.
Don't get me wrong, you can train your body, but still there are other factors.Try shaking your bladder for 2 hours from the Connecticut line across the GW to Jersey in the cab of a Freightliner after drinking 3 large double doubles.

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm trying to cut back drinking pop. So far, it's off to a good start, since normally I used to drink 3 Route 44's, Dr. Pepper a day. Now that I am trying to cut back, right now, I am only drinking 1 Route 44 Dr. Pepper, and replacing the other 2 with water. So far, it's doing good.Good luck. Dr. Pepper is like heroin...

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know, but I'm very particular. I can only drink it out of this one tall glass, and I have to have ice.

I also only drink water that's been filtered:

http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/644/fjordxl20ec.jpg (http://imageshack.us)You're a prissy bitch, aren't you?

Hammock Parties
06-03-2006, 12:02 AM
You're a prissy bitch, aren't you?

If preferring filtered water makes me a prissy bitch, then so be it. It tastes better.

thepascalblaze
06-03-2006, 03:44 AM
not enough