PDA

View Full Version : Is David Glass a liar ? Sweeney trade blocked ?

chief2000
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Glass called Pos a liar about vetoing trades that Baird made.

Was the Mike Sweeney trade really blocked by Glass ?

Confusing who's telling the truth ? The media needs to find out what the truth is.

keg in kc
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
We'll never find out because Baird will never say.

58-4ever
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
We'll never find out because Baird will never say.

Plus, it doesn't really matter because we're stuck with his broke down ass now. :banghead:

keg in kc
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Yep, it's water under the bridge.

Hopefully Moore really has the control we think he does. Hopefully the Glass' have learned to at least partially (they do have a stake...) stay out of the baseball issues and let him do what he thinks needs to be done to right the ship.

redbrian
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes he is, Glass lied, Royals died.

FringeNC
06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, it was Neyer who claimed that, I think. Pos certainly hinted at it, and may have claimed it outright, too. Not sure.

I have a question for Mr. Glass. If he doesn't meddle, then why did Dayton Moore have to get a written assurance that Glass wouldn't? That's not typical, to say the least.

To me, Glass has no credibility, plus I'd imagine Neyer and Posnanski have multiple sources. Glass should just STFU. He's just digging deeper. Glass needs to learn from his mistakes, and move on.

Predarat
06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Glass lies more than CP.

chief2000
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Does Allard Baird ruin his job search by telling the media the truth ?

Why is he so quiet ?

Thoughts ?

keg in kc
06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Does Allard Baird ruin his job search by telling the media the truth ?He would, actually. I think he's quiet because that's the kind of guy he is, but truth be told, he's got to think about his next job, and going off on his former employer isn't going to help him in any way. It might (or might not) make him feel better, but it won't help him in any other way.

People in baseball (i.e. other owners) know, anyway. That's who counts as far as he's concerned.

FringeNC
06-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Also, supposedly didn't the Glass boys insist on acquiring Neifi Perez? I thought I read somewhere that Baird had another deal worked out.

Whoever was behind the Perez deal is ****ing moron. Any idiot could look up the his splits on ESPN and see that Neifi Perez couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag away from Coors Field. There are deals that just don't work out, but there are deals that shouldn't have ever been made, also.

Demonpenz
06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
baird will be snagged up quickly. I want to see what he can do with an organization that gives a shit about winning.

StcChief
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
The Royals history with talent would seem so......

Shootr
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a question for Mr. Glass. If he doesn't meddle, then why did Dayton Moore have to get a written assurance that Glass wouldn't? That's not typical, to say the least.

In Dayton's interview with Petro on Wednesday, he said there was nothing in writing that said he had final say in personell decisions. He said there were converstaions and agreements, but nothing in writing. This was contrary to everything I had heard, but I heard Dayton say it himself. That made me a little nervous...

tk13
06-02-2006, 12:04 PM
In Dayton's interview with Petro on Wednesday, he said there was nothing in writing that said he had final say in personell decisions. He said there were converstaions and agreements, but nothing in writing. This was contrary to everything I had heard, but I heard Dayton say it himself. That made me a little nervous...
He could be telling the truth. On the other hand, he's probably not gonna call out his new owner already and say "Oh yeah, I don't trust him, I made him put everything in writing." That would look bad. Hard to say.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Plus, it doesn't really matter because we're stuck with his broke down ass now. :banghead:
people didn't want to trade him before ... i imagine there a still people who would say "trade sweeney and i won't go to another game".

be lucky to get a bag of doritos for him now

BigMeatballDave
06-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Yes he is, Glass lied, Royals died.
ROFL

beavis
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I want to see what he can do with an organization that gives a shit about winning.
If he doesn't care about winning, then what was this week all about?

tk13
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
According to Peter Gammons' blog entry today... baseball officials around the league are disgusted with how Glass handled things, and several called the Royals to tell Glass what he was doing was terrible.

Then the usual quotes from other anonymous GM's defending Baird, saying he put up with a lot, and really didn't want to sign all these 30 something's this year. The real kicker though, is apparently after hiring Moore, Glass asked Baird if he'd stay on and run the draft. According to Gammons he packed up and went home to his wife, went to the Miami Heat game the other night...haha.

Gammons also said Moore almost turned us down. He initially told his wife he was staying in Atlanta, but changed his mind. Gammons does agree it's a chance to turn the page because Moore is a good baseball guy, and that the budgets have been increased for the draft. Although he's unsure who we'll take with the first pick. Baird wanted Andrew Miller, but there are others in the organization who like some of the other pitchers.

ChiTown
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
The Royals history with talent would seem so......

It's not a problem with getting hitting talent, it's keeping it. Now, pitching...............it's a problem with keeping them healthy. As a pitcher, your career gets reduced by 80% once you play for the Royals.

Sure-Oz
06-02-2006, 01:35 PM
According to Peter Gammons' blog entry today... baseball officials around the league are disgusted with how Glass handled things, and several called the Royals to tell Glass what he was doing was terrible.

Then the usual quotes from other anonymous GM's defending Baird, saying he put up with a lot, and really didn't want to sign all these 30 something's this year. The real kicker though, is apparently after hiring Moore, Glass asked Baird if he'd stay on and run the draft. According to Gammons he packed up and went home to his wife, went to the Miami Heat game the other night...haha.

Gammons also said Moore almost turned us down. He initially told his wife he was staying in Atlanta, but changed his mind. Gammons does agree it's a chance to turn the page because Moore is a good baseball guy, and that the budgets have been increased for the draft. Although he's unsure who we'll take with the first pick. Baird wanted Andrew Miller, but there are others in the organization who like some of the other pitchers.
Glass really is a rich son of a bitch!

Pitt Gorilla
06-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Gammons also said Moore almost turned us down. He initially told his wife he was staying in Atlanta, but changed his mind. Gammons does agree it's a chance to turn the page because Moore is a good baseball guy, and that the budgets have been increased for the draft. Although he's unsure who we'll take with the first pick. Baird wanted Andrew Miller, but there are others in the organization who like some of the other pitchers.How could we not pick Miller?

FringeNC
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Wow. Is Glass going to call of them liars? Glass's dishonesty is only matched by his incompetence.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Watch out for falling trade prices!

ChiTown
06-02-2006, 01:45 PM
How could we not pick Miller?

Honestly, I think Brad Lincoln is a much more reliable prospect. He may not have the major upside of Miller, but he'll be a guy that won't need a lot of refining (Miller will need some help). The Royals aren't real good at refining pitching prospects.

FringeNC
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow. Hints that Glass was given the right to buy the team because Glass would be a Selig lackey. Thanks, Bud, for sticking us with this incompetent asshole. You and your buddy David are pieces of shit.

Gammons:

Two years ago, The New York Times ran a story about Wal-Mart employees being locked in stores overnight and, as a result, one man nearly dying after a serious fall.
Royals owner David Glass is a Wal-Mart guy. What he did to Allard Baird amounted to his company's overnight practices.

When the Royals hit bottom more than a month ago, Glass decided that he'd better deflect the heat off his ownership, threw Baird to the wind and told the good people of Kansas City that changes were forthcoming. Baird told friends that while Glass hadn't talked to him, he had been fired. He went into the clubhouse and thanked the players for their efforts.

But he wasn't fired then, and for the last two weeks, general manager after general manager and baseball official after baseball official called to offer their disgust at the way Glass -- who across the industry lives with the notion that he was given the team by Bud Selig because the commissioner knows he will vote loyally -- treated one of the best human beings on the planet.

"Allard was the ultimate loyal soldier who always took the heat for Glass," says one GM. "And this is the way he's rewarded?"

"Allard never wanted to cover Glass' behind by signing a bunch of 30-somethings," says another. "But he takes the fall."

"Allard never complained when Glass denied him any money after the first pick," says one scouting director. "What a joke. Most years they were paying fourth-round money for late-first or sandwich picks, so they never took advantage of the draft. A couple of years ago, after the fifth round, they could only take $1,000 college seniors. Pathetic."

A month later, Baird was on a plane to Fort Worth for an evaluation of Luke Hochevar for next week's draft. The following day, he was fired in Kansas City.

Glass then asked him if he would stick around and run the draft next Tuesday -- since his replacement, Dayton Moore, cannot participate in the draft with the Royals (he also will not sit in on the Braves' draft). "You couldn't make this stuff up," says one NL GM.

Run the draft after being fired? Yeah, right. This isn't Wal-Mart. Allard Baird could not be locked in the draft room. He packed up his dignity and flew home to Miami to go to the Heat game with his wife.

But if you are a Royals fan, even if you think less of Glass than people across baseball, turn the page on his ownership past. As poorly as he treated Baird, he got this right. If you could canvas the entire industry and pick one person to come in and begin the reconstruction, it would be Dayton Moore.

Understand, this man turned down the opportunity to succeed John Schuerholz in Atlanta. He rejected the possibility of being the general manager of the Red Sox, which he might have been had he stayed in the process after initially being interviewed by Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino.

And now he is taking the job in Kansas City.

Not that it was an easy decision. After weeks of going back and forth, he called his wife from the ballpark Monday night and told her he was staying with the Braves. Then, as he drove home, he reconsidered. "That was the safe, comfortable decision," Moore said Thursday from Atlanta. "But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really want to go build something that is totally my own. Is there risk? Of course. But the Glass [family] told me they don't know baseball operations and don't want to know. Kansas City, like Atlanta, is a great place to raise a family, which is very important when you have kids aged 10, 7 and 4."

Tuesday morning, Moore sat down with Schuerholz and explained that he felt he had to take the job. Even though Schuerholz had indicated that Moore was his designated successor when he moves up in three or four years, the Braves GM understood and gave his protégé his blessing.

"I learned a great deal from John," Moore says. "He hires very good people, trusts and empowers them. He asks a lot of questions. He has a unique ability to make definitive decisions.

"I have great respect for the entire Atlanta organization. What John and Bobby [Cox] have built is something that may never be equaled. But what I would like to do is take all that I learned from John, Bobby, Paul Snyder, Roy Clark, Bill Fischer, Jose Martinez and everyone in that organization and see if I can apply it to something that is my own. I was flattered to be interviewed by the Red Sox. But I had heard there was a possibility that Theo [Epstein] was coming back, and even if he did not, they had already accomplished what in my lifetime is the most special, significant moment in their franchise history, and will remain that for the rest of my lifetime.

"In Kansas City, I have the opportunity to build something," Moore says. "It's a great opportunity."

Being soft-spoken and modest, Dayton Moore will get to Kansas City next weekend without any bravado or false promises. He is not going to get to town and nuke the organization.

"One of the most difficult things about this decision was my relationship with Allard," Moore says. "When I was first an area scout with the Royals, he was the cross-checker, and we became friends and he helped me immensely. I know some of the people there. I obviously worked with Brian Murphy [in K.C. and Atlanta]. I originally hired [K.C. scouting director] Deric Ladnier as an intern with the Braves.

"When I get there, I will listen. I have ideas, but I want to observe and then make decisions."

Moore has no input on the draft in either Kansas City or Atlanta and says he has no problem with it. Baird's recommendation was to use the first pick to select North Carolina left-hander Andrew Miller, but there are voices within the organization in favor of either Hochevar -- who turned down $2.5 million from the Dodgers in last year's draft and is pitching for the independent Fort Worth Cats -- or Houston pitcher Brad Lincoln. Even before Baird left, there were assurances the scouting budget had been increased so that, after the first selection, they can draft whomever they want, not the cheapest commodity on the rack; it is an indication the Glass family may have learned that it is far better to take the $5 million (from big market teams' revenue-sharing coin) usually given to a 30-something veteran who might help them win 68 games and put that money into scouting and development.

There will be no quick fix in Kansas City. Oh, prospects Alex Gordon and Billy Butler probably will impact them next season, and Moore might be able to get some young players for some of the present Royals.

But it will take time, a long time. At least David Glass got it right, though. He didn't go out and hire a retread on the advice and consent of another owner or put some former Royal player in charge because of name recognition. He convinced the best man to clean up his mess and restore what was a terrific franchise in the days of Ewing Kaufman, Joe Burke and Schuerholz. Now he has to listen to Dayton Moore and grant him the autonomy necessary to make the Royals matter again.

ChiTown
06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
The Glass family members are a bunch of dog ****ers.

Unbelievable!

beavis
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
According to Peter Gammons' blog entry today...
This is where you should have stopped.

Coach
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
The Glass family members are a bunch of dog ****ers.

Unbelievable!

I agree. Maybe some of the people needs to start picketing at Royals games to get a different owner perhaps?

"We don't need Wal-Mart! We need a Owner!" or something along the lines like that.

tk13
06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
This is where you should have stopped.
Why's that? I don't think he's the be all and end all, he definitely makes mistakes, but he is probably more accurate than a lot of people. GM's do talk to him.

Plus just the fact that we have Gammons, Neyer, and Posnanski all lining up against Glass, that's like the holy trinity of baseball writers right there. :)

siberian khatru
06-02-2006, 02:39 PM
It's astounding how much damage the Glasses have done to this franchise. It's almost criminal. I keep bouncing between utter disgust bordering on nausea, and white-hot anger spawning violent revenge fantasies.

I can only hope the Glasses have learned their lessons and will give Moore every opportunity to do it his way.

redbrian
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Moore has two to three years to do what he wants, he can shove it down Glass's throat till he chocks.

Glass is so tight he will not eat a six year contract by firing Moore. However after about year three and four the power shifts back to Glass.

ChiTown
06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
What's really sad is that KC was seen as a Class Organization, with Class People and first rate facilities. Now, our facilities are paltry by comparison, and our organization is the laughingstock of MLB.

It's like the Glass Family has collectively taken a crap on the grave of Mr. K. Pathetic.

duncan_idaho
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm really encouraged by reports that Moore is already putting more money into the scouting department... that's the real key. WEll, that and spending money on players past the first 6-8 rounds... gotta improve the organizational depth.

I'd argue that the Royals would be better off spending $2 million more on their scouting than $3 million on a player like Sanders/Grudzielanek.

Just hope Moore does this the right way... stock up on young pitchers in the draft. Stock up on good coaches to teach those young pitchers.

Somewhere in his book, Billy Beane says that since Oakland doesn't have as much money as teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, they HAVE to be better/smarter than their counterparts. It's the only way to stay afloat. It sounds like Moore might be that G.M.

They've got to be good (and lucky) with the pitcher they draft No. 1. If they can find a guy who'll be ready by 08 and get Headcase Greinke to come around, this team could at least be competitive that season...

Eleazar
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
But the Glass [family] told me they don't know baseball operations and don't want to know.

Thank gawd.

Jordan
06-02-2006, 03:43 PM
I just hope we trade the old players we spent $ on this off season for young prospects.

We should be able to trade Sanders and Mien....itz to a contending team after the all-star team. Maybe this will enable us to speed up the 4-5 years it seems necessary for Moore to get players into place by adding a couple of A or AA "future studs"

Note: The Todd Van Poppel's of MLB need not apply.

chiefqueen
06-02-2006, 04:11 PM
If Moore does turn the franchise around, could we be looking at a KU/UNC situation when Schuerholz retires?

beavis
06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Why's that? I don't think he's the be all and end all, he definitely makes mistakes, but he is probably more accurate than a lot of people. GM's do talk to him.

Plus just the fact that we have Gammons, Neyer, and Posnanski all lining up against Glass, that's like the holy trinity of baseball writers right there. :)
Heh, I've just never thought much of Gammons. I can remember back in the day him talking about the Cubs trading Mark Grace to the White Sox, which of course never happened. I guess I've hated the guy since I found out he was a Boston homer.

Out of those three, Neyer is the only one I can stand. Even his negativity gets to me sometimes. But at least he keeps it real.

Extra Point
06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Sweeney can and should retire after this season. I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Raul Ibanez, if he were available.

FringeNC
06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Heh, I've just never thought much of Gammons. I can remember back in the day him talking about the Cubs trading Mark Grace to the White Sox, which of course never happened. I guess I've hated the guy since I found out he was a Boston homer.

Out of those three, Neyer is the only one I can stand. Even his negativity gets to me sometimes. But at least he keeps it real.

Gammons is a Boston-homer, no doubt, and generally refuses to criticize anyone, and is pretty much clueless when it comes to modern stats like OPS.

Gammons as a baseball analyst sucks; however, as a gossip columnist, he's connected around the league, that's for sure.

I'm not sure I have ever read anything by Gammons that just lays into someone like he did to Glass. Same with Posnanski. (Neyer, of course, isn't scared to call someone incompetent.)

You just get the feeling that Pos and Gammons think Glass is a loathsome individual.

HemiEd
06-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I would not buy a used car from David Glass, nor would I donate to a local Charity if he was collecting door to door.