PDA

View Full Version : John Amos from Tv show Good Times was on Best Damn Sports show.

chief2000
06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
He mentioned Hank Stram being a good man and giving him a legit shot in tryouts. I think he said he tried out twice to make the team. Then went on to boxing and writing later .

He was so impressed with Hank that he named his son after him.

chagrin
06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
That's pretty cool

Bootlegged
06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Florida?

penchief
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought he died in an auto accident on the way to Mississippi.

Brock
06-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Damn, damn, DAMN!

Fat Elvis
06-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I think getting his foot chopped off in Roots hindered his running ability a bit.

DanT
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
He mentioned Hank Stram being a good man and giving him a legit shot in tryouts. I think he said he tried out twice to make the team. Then went on to boxing and writing later .

He was so impressed with Hank that he named his son after him.

That was an interesting and funny segment. Actually, he named his son "K.C."; he was impressed with the Kansas City Chiefs all around, not just Coach Stram.

Here's a brief bio on John Amos with a link to K.C. Amos:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0025309/bio

Here's short news story on John Amos's football and acting career. It has some good lines from him about his football days:
http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/101297/046-1549.htm

journeyscarab
06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Damn, damn, DAMN!

REP! :thumb:

Eleazar
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM

Maybe I am the only one who got this, but -> ROFL

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I think getting his foot chopped off in Roots hindered his running ability a bit.My favorite line, was, when Chicken George offered him some "poke"(pork).

He slaps it out of his hand, "Toby no eats poke."

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Maybe I am the only one who got this, but -> ROFLYou white cracker.

journeyscarab
06-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I saw him working at McDowells in Queens.

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I saw him working at McDowells in Queens.You mean you saw him in the courtroom defending his restaurant against the McDonald's corporation.

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM

He was so impressed with Hank that he named his son after him.Its damned all right. why don't they jus try to completely offend everyones sensibilities, and call it the best goddamned sports show period.

alpha_omega
06-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Somebody said "Florida", i thought for sure somebody would have already said...

"DYN-O-MITE!"

...i know James didn't say it, but anytime Good Times is mentioned that is the first thing that comes to mind.

Rain Man
06-02-2006, 09:52 PM
I think getting his foot chopped off in Roots hindered his running ability a bit.

I've been waiting for 25 years to say this, but the opportunity for a great joke occurred in that scene.

As our viewers will recall, the slave hunters captured Kunta Kinte after his escape attempt. As punishment, they indicated that they would give him a choice: either chop off the front part of his foot, or cut off his "manhood." Kunta immediately chose to have them cut off the front half of his foot.

I always thought it should have been a more difficult decisions. Six inches, half a foot...six inches, half a foot...

milkman
06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
I've been waiting for 25 years to say this, but the opportunity for a great joke occurred in that scene.

As our viewers will recall, the slave hunters captured Kunta Kinte after his escape attempt. As punishment, they indicated that they would give him a choice: either chop off the front part of his foot, or cut off his "manhood." Kunta immediately chose to have them cut off the front half of his foot.

I always thought it should have been a more difficult decisions. Six inches, half a foot...six inches, half a foot...

I guess it's a good thing he wasn't Malaysion