PDA

View Full Version : What makes you enjoy a song?

Logical
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
There are three essential elements and I believe typically a person is only attracted to one at most two of the elements.

1. Words/lyrics
2. Rythms/beat/percussion (give me more of that cowbell)
3. Instrumental background

Please pick one or maybe the two that cause you to really like a particular song.

Also it would be nice if you would post your reasons for your choice. I have a theory that guys gravitate to 2 and 3 and women gravitate to 1 then maybe 3 and that 2 is pretty unimportant to them.

Donger
06-02-2006, 03:49 PM
An erection.

sedated
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
An erection.

poll?

Donger
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
poll?

Depends on how good the song is. Sometimes it just a semi.

sedated
06-02-2006, 03:54 PM
an erection makes me enjoy just about anything.

(except maybe talking to my mom, or laying directly underneath a spinning fan)

cdcox
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
a good beat and you can dance to it. [/american bandstand]

RedNFeisty
06-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I voted rythm and beat, however it really depends. For the most part I do not like slow music.

Baby Lee
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
None of the above

Passion, Skill and/or Innovation.

Something like Eminem's 'Lose Yourself has all three on the lyrical side.

Something like 'Anarchy in the UK' has Passion lyrically and musically sufficient to render skill superfluous.

Something like an EVanH guitar solo, or Neil Peart drum solo puts it all on the musical skill front.

Something like 'Come on Eileen' put it on the musically innovative front.

burt
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
None of the above

Something like 'Anarchy in the UK' has Passion lyrically and musically sufficient to render skill superfluous.

Something like an EVanH guitar solo, or Neil Peart drum solo puts it all on the musical skill front.

Very well put...I want to take back my vote....no Gaz reference.....

burt
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
None of the above

What were the first 4 words in Come on Eileen?

Baby Lee
06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
What were the first 4 words in Come on Eileen?
You mean, 'Poor old Johnny Ray?'

:spock:

Extra Point
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Was nice to wake up to "Brown Sugar" this morning. That song has it all!

burt
06-02-2006, 04:35 PM
You mean, 'Poor old Johnny Ray?'

:spock:

Do you know who Poor Old Johhny Ray was?

listopencil
06-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I picked Words/lyrics and Rythms/beat/percussion. I would have clicked "Melody" if you had put it up there, lyrics and melody are what I enjoy most in music.

Reaper16
06-02-2006, 06:58 PM
The music - all phases. Melody, rhythm, each instrument, the vocals. I enjoy how everything comes together and exists in this thing we call a song.
Least important to me are the lyrics, though good lyrics are obviously a plus to the song. For example, it's night impossible to make out the lyrics to most death metal tracks; but that's okay because the vocal is a rhythmic insturment in that style of music as opposed to carrying the primary melody.

Over-Head
06-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I’ve been drumming for so many years, all I hear is the beat when a song plays on the radio

BucEyedPea
06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
lease pick one or maybe the two that cause you to really like a particular song.

Two? My ears! Both of 'em. :)

Logical
06-02-2006, 08:00 PM
The music - all phases. Melody, rhythm, each instrument, the vocals. I enjoy how everything comes together and exists in this thing we call a song.
Least important to me are the lyrics, though good lyrics are obviously a plus to the song. For example, it's night impossible to make out the lyrics to most death metal tracks; but that's okay because the vocal is a rhythmic insturment in that style of music as opposed to carrying the primary melody.

For me that is all vocals are in any variation/style of music. I never really listen to the words.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I rarely notice words that much...especially with Enya! :p

Dunit35
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I would have to say option one and two.

Halfcan
06-02-2006, 08:13 PM
None of the above

Neil could even make Rap sound good.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7972/a2b5dd906fb985c50ad9b237f72639.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Logical
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
None of the above

Something like 'Come on Eileen' put it on the musically innovative front.I must say that this just seems to fit your BB persona. That is not a bad trait, just IMO unique. As you are unique so seems what makes you like music.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Anyway, aside from rocking, my music really has to be instrumentally diverse. I suppose that's why I don't really like most rap. I need more than a beat.

Logical
06-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Anyway, aside from rocking, my music really has to be instrumentally diverse. I suppose that's why I don't really like most rap. I need more than a beat.Not all Rap and Hip Hop are without diverse instrumentals.

For instance when Will Smith went on Leno he had to take an entire band to introduce his new song Hitch.

listopencil
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
For me that is all vocals are in any variation/style of music. I never really listen to the words.

I usually have to feel like the song has some sort of message or story to enjoy it, although I do enjoy some instrumentals.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't really give a shit about lyrics, either. Too many damn love songs. You better have something going on musically for me to like your music.

Logical
06-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I usually have to feel like the song has some sort of message or story to enjoy it, although I do enjoy some instrumentals.So far this poll is proving my theory wrong. I am suprised at the number of guys who feel the lyrics are important.

Baby Lee
06-03-2006, 05:36 AM
I must say that this just seems to fit your BB persona. That is not a bad trait, just IMO unique. As you are unique so seems what makes you like music.
Thanks, . . I . . . Guess??

thepascalblaze
06-03-2006, 05:47 AM
It really depends on the song. i've liked many a song for each "reason." I think I've grown to like songs I , at one time, said "sucked donkey di#k," etc. "Catchy" is a step away from annoying. "Clever", a beat away from deep and "original" a measure away from boring, noisy and sad... I like a song to surprise me without making me feel lost; comfort me while I take a deep breath;and hold on so I cant drown, without lulling me to dream and without rocking me too long...

mcan
06-03-2006, 05:48 AM
I don't think that women and men are really all that different when it comes to this. However, I think that there are distinctions.

Women: Tend to like female singers
Men: Tend to like male singers

Casual listeners: Tend to like the beat or the groove of a song, and pay little attention to lyrics or arrangements

Music buffs: Tend to gravitate towards lyrics. They quote songs, know all the trivia, can tell you the year that the album came out, but if they heard an elevator version of the song, they wouldn't recognize it.

Musicians: Tend to listen to the arrangements and melodies, and overall structure of the song. Often, they tend to overlook the lyrics of a song, perhaps they will have them wrong. Sometimes, they will memorize the WORDS, but totally miss the meaning of the song in favor of appreciating or actively listening to the music behind the vocalist. One day, while driving home from work, they will be singing along to a song that they've had memorized for years and the meaning will finally hit them, and they have to pull over for a second... This is me.