PDA

View Full Version : Dell Computer problem

Simply Red
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
At 4:30 today something happened to my Dell Desktop. I went to my start menu and the window tried to pop up and suddenly froze. I tried to "task-manager" out of it to try to gain normal functionality. Well "task-mgr." did nothing. So I simply turned off the hard-drive and back on. It went through the normal windows power up and nothing. Nothing but a sky-blue screen. The same color as the standard windows desktop background. Tried Cntl.+Alt.+ Delete and nothing. My I.T. guy said we'll just have to wait. He instructed me to leave on my computer over the weekend. Any suggestions?

Fish
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
My I.T. guy said we'll just have to wait. He instructed me to leave on my computer over the weekend. Any suggestions?

It could be that he is going to remotely reimage your computer over the weekend. But that wouldn't make sense unless all your files were stored on a network location... which is an unusual setup. I'd hate to tell you to try much if your IT guy has a plan for it....

Simply Red
06-02-2006, 04:58 PM
he said that the only reason we are leaving it on over the w.e. is to see if it will restore itself. So I am afraid we may have lost this PC. Ironically I wasn't even online.

Simply Red
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Most of my necessaties are stored in a share net. file so perhaps i'll be okay. Just a nuisance.

Fish
06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
he said that the only reason we are leaving it on over the w.e. is to see if it will restore itself. So I am afraid we may have lost this PC. Ironically I wasn't even online.

Well then he doesn't have a clue....

You might try booting into safe mode and see if it will get to the OS. After you power on the computer it will run a little self test. You'll usually see either a black background with white DOS text or you'll see the logo for the computer manufacturer. The usually takes about 5 seconds or so, maybe less. You'll then want to tap the F8 key repeatedly(but not really really fast). If you tap it before you see the Windows XP loading screen it will give you a list of choices of how to boot the computer. Select Boot to Safe Mode and see if it will load Windows. Safe Mode loads only the most basic drivers and such in order to troubleshoot so it might look a little weird as in icons might be large and the color might be off....

If you're lucky it will tell you that some software failed and has been disabled or something along those lines.... give it a try....

Simply Red
06-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Well then he doesn't have a clue....

You might try booting into safe mode and see if it will get to the OS. After you power on the computer it will run a little self test. You'll usually see either a black background with white DOS text or you'll see the logo for the computer manufacturer. The usually takes about 5 seconds or so, maybe less. You'll then want to tap the F8 key repeatedly(but not really really fast). If you tap it before you see the Windows XP loading screen it will give you a list of choices of how to boot the computer. Select Boot to Safe Mode and see if it will load Windows. Safe Mode loads only the most basic drivers and such in order to troubleshoot so it might look a little weird as in icons might be large and the color might be off....

If you're lucky it will tell you that some software failed and has been disabled or something along those lines.... give it a try....

Thanks so much!

Simply Red
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
What initial function does "8" perform?

Fish
06-03-2006, 12:58 AM
What initial function does "8" perform?

Uhhh.... what?

There should be a key halfway across the top row of the keyboard that has "F8" on it....

http://chdcsedtech.fullerton.edu/Pix/EC31Help/F8.jpg

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Uhhh.... what?

There should be a key halfway across the top row of the keyboard that has "F8" on it....

http://chdcsedtech.fullerton.edu/Pix/EC31Help/F8.jpg

Obviously I know what and where F8 is. But I guess what I'm asking KC Fish is what is the key-strike of F8 actually doing. Does it simply display options?

listopencil
06-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Obviously I know what and where F8 is. But I guess what I'm asking KC Fish is what is the key-strike of F8 actually doing. Does it simply display options?

It's a "hotkey" shortcut. It's function is to delay the boot process until you make a choice as to how you want the process to go. If yor PC is functioning normally you never use it so many people don't know it's there. The idea is that you are highly unlikely to accidentally strike the f8 key several times as your computer boots up, so it is set up that way to make sure you don't have to see that screen every time you turn on your computer. I hope that helps. Otherwise, I have no idea what you are asking.

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
It's a "hotkey" shortcut. It's function is to delay the boot process until you make a choice as to how you want the process to go. If yor PC is functioning normally you never use it so many people don't know it's there. The idea is that you are highly unlikely to accidentally strike the f8 key several times as your computer boots up, so it is set up that way to make sure you don't have to see that screen every time you turn on your computer. I hope that helps. Otherwise, I have no idea what you are asking.

Listo/fish, Perfect. Thanks Much to both of you. I'll try it on Monday.

KCTitus
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
what model of dell is it? Dell had a major problem with their GX270 line which had all sorts of HD/MB issues.

The standard windows background is teal and not sky blue...sky blue would be similar to what happens on windows install--if SP2 were installed and after reboot the 'setup' screen appears in sky blue. The only other blue screen is the BSOD, but that would have some cryptic writing about what dll might have failed.

Simply Red
06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
what model of dell is it? Dell had a major problem with their GX270 line which had all sorts of HD/MB issues.

The standard windows background is teal and not sky blue...sky blue would be similar to what happens on windows install--if SP2 were installed and after reboot the 'setup' screen appears in sky blue. The only other blue screen is the BSOD, but that would have some cryptic writing about what dll might have failed.

hd failure. Sucks though. All of my work is gone. Not really gone, gone just not the way it was etc. you know. But at least the PC is still okay. He restored the hd today. Thanks KC Titus for your help though. I really appreciate you and this forum as well.