PDA

View Full Version : Should the forums be merged?

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I should probably leave this to Rain Man, but it looks like we need a more reasonable poll to vote on. Here's the proposal:

The following areas remain seperate from The Lounge:

D.C.
Romper Room
Hall of Classics
Archives
Pictures
Tickets for Sale/Wanted

All others are merged into The Lounge.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Is this merger a hostile takeover? :hmmm:

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Is this merger a hostile takeover? :hmmm:

Not really. It doesn't include D.C.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 08:18 AM
The poll does not accurately reflect my position.

The DC Forum MUST remain separate from the Lounge. That is not negotiable.

I do not care what happens to the others.

Some sub-forums are useful, like GeeksPlanet. Cries for help on tech issues would otherwise be drowned by football talk and poop threads. The Pictures Forum should probably remain separate because lots of us post from work and lack the willpower to avoid clicking on a “Jessica Alba Nekkid” thread.

I do not understand the dislike of sub-forums. They are useful and require only a couple of clicks at most. However, I do not much care if everything but the DC Forum is moved back into the Lounge.

xoxo~
Gaz
Mostly easy.

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Some sub-forums are useful, like GeeksPlanet. Cries for help on tech issues would otherwise be drowned by football talk and poop threads. The Pictures Forum should probably remain separate because lots of us post from work and lack the willpower to avoid clicking on a “Jessica Alba Nekkid” thread.

I do not understand the dislike of sub-forums. They are useful and require only a couple of clicks at most. However, I do not much care if everything but the DC Forum is moved back into the Lounge.

xoxo~
Gaz
Mostly easy.

So basically the only thing you disagree with is that I left out "GeeksPlanet"?

StcChief
06-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Simple question. Relate it to real life.

Do you throw every tool, kitchen utensil, book, into 1 drawer.

Mile High Mania
06-03-2006, 08:27 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Mostly easy.

Well put! I don't know why there's a music subforum, but I agree the GeeksPlanet is a good idea - quick and easy. DC Forum is great only b/c there are a select few that do nothing but type in those threads and whip the rest of us into submission with "Bush sucks - Bush rocks" types of debates.

patteeu
06-03-2006, 08:28 AM
The problem with the Geeks subforum and the Music subforum isn't really that they exist, it's that people tend to go there to post new threads instead of posting those new threads in the Lounge and letting the mods move them to their respective subforum archives when they fall off the front page. I complain about the subforum fragmentation of this message board as much as anybody, but I actually think the mods (or whoever thought of this arrangement) had a pretty good idea with the way they treat these two subforums. The problem with them is how the membership uses them.

If the mods could eliminate the ability to post new threads in these two subforums it would improve their good idea even more.

[pie in the sky]If they could figure out a way to automatically move threads back from those subforums to the Lounge in the event that they pick up a substantial head of steam again, that would be even better.[/pie in the sky]

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Simple question. Relate it to real life.

Do you throw every tool, kitchen utensil, book, into 1 drawer.

No, I seperate major categories (i.e. pictures, ticket sales, politics). However, I don't put every tool/utensil in a seperate drawer either.

Does NFL Draft info really need it's own home? Does Royals discussion really clutter up the main page during the offseason? I don't think so. Most of the "sub forums" are barely used, and only serve to make their topic areas off limits in the main forum. People don't want to post those topics because they know their thread will be moved to one of the graveyard forums.

burt
06-03-2006, 08:32 AM
lots of us post from work and lack the willpower to avoid clicking on a “Jessica Alba Nekkid” thread.
xoxo~
Gaz
Mostly easy.

WHO COULD?????

Mile High Mania
06-03-2006, 08:33 AM
No, I seperate major categories (i.e. pictures, ticket sales, politics). However, I don't put every tool/utensil in a seperate drawer either.

Does NFL Draft info really need it's own home? Does Royals discussion really clutter up the main page during the offseason? I don't think so. Most of the "sub forums" are barely used, and only serve to make their topic areas off limits in the main forum. People don't want to post those topics because they know their thread will be moved to one of the graveyard forums.

Any "sports related" item should stay in the main area.

What are two things that most people hate to discuss in mixed company? Politics and Religion ... so, keep them in their own category.

GeeksPlanet is nice b/c as Gaz said... quick and easy.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 08:34 AM
The following MUST remain:
• DC Forum
• Romper Room

I am disappointed by the need for the Romper Room and DC Forum, but we have proven that they are necessary.

As far as the others are concerned, I simply do not care. As I said, I like GeeksPlanet for convenience and Pictures because I am at work and I am weak. However, if the majority wanted them merged with the Lounge, I would learn to cope.

If lots of people are opposed to sub-forums, then the fewer the better. I do not empathize with them, but I am not opposed to reducing the number of sub-forums.

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to streamline to make folks happy.

Mile High Mania
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I forgot about the pictures - that is really useful for obvious reasons.

Here you go...
Pictures
Controversial (Politics/Religion)
GeeksPlanet
RomperRoom

milkman
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM

What are two things that most people hate to discuss in mixed company? Politics and Religion ... so, keep them in their own category.

Sorry, but you Geeks never make info "quick and easy".

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:37 AM
• DC Forum
• Romper Room

I am disappointed by the need for the Romper Room and DC Forum, but we have proven that they are necessary.

As far as the others are concerned, I simply do not care. As I said, I like GeeksPlanet for convenience and Pictures because I am at work and I am weak. However, if the majority wanted them merged with the Lounge, I would learn to cope.

If lots of people are opposed to sub-forums, then the fewer the better. I do not empathize with them, but I am not opposed to reducing the number of sub-forums.

xoxo~
Gaz

Gaz, in my first post this is part of my proposal. All of the following sub-forums would remain as-is:

D.C.
Romper Room
Hall of Classics
Archives
Pictures
Tickets for Sale/Wanted

Mile High Mania
06-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry, but you Geeks never make info "quick and easy".

If you take my advice regarding computers ... you're SOL. I'm a sales guy. I go there for quick and easy info.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 08:40 AM
I thought the Draft Forum was a good idea. Again, it was a matter of convenience. All draft stuff was in one place, instead of being scattered between “Shut Up, n00b” and “I Took a Dump” threads.

I would be fine with a Football sub-forum that was dedicated strictly to football discussion and let the Lounge be the generic watering hole [provided, of course, that the “football only” rule was strictly and brutally enforced].

Would that solve the dilemma?

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinking outside the box again.

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I would be fine with a Football sub-forum that was dedicated strictly to football discussion and let the Lounge be the generic watering hole [provided, of course, that the “football only” rule was strictly and brutally enforced].

xoxo~
Gaz

In my opinion that's much worse, to the point I don't think I would even bother stopping by during the off-season. (This may be a plus in the mind of some.)

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the effort, Adam. As Gaz's first posts demonstrate, I think some will be confused. When in the poll you say "one-stop shopping" in the Lounge, people will in a knee-jerk fashion click "no"---because many still don't want politics in the Lounge, which I understand.

I understood your intent (to keep the LINK to DC in the Lounge, along with the other subforums you listed)....because I read your thread starter too--but even I sometimes vote, before reading the thread starter carefully.

Simplex3
06-03-2006, 08:47 AM
I think splitting football is terrible idea.

What I would like to see is thread catagorization of some sort and the ability for each user to pick which catagories they see. A "personalized view" of the Planet for everyone.

If we used the same forum setup we have today then it would even be possible for those who like today's setup to keep it.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I think splitting football is terrible idea.

What I would like to see is thread catagorization of some sort and the ability for each user to pick which catagories they see. A "personalized view" of the Planet for everyone.

If we used the same forum setup we have today then it would even be possible for those who like today's setup to keep it.

I agree....with the EXCEPTION of the Draft Forum DURING March and April.....maybe we just "add" it as an extra Sub Forum during those two months.

milkman
06-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I thought the Draft Forum was a good idea. Again, it was a matter of convenience. All draft stuff was in one place, instead of being scattered between “Shut Up, n00b” and “I Took a Dump” threads.

xoxo~
Gaz

This is the "Chiefs"planet.
A site (loosely) dedicated to Chiefs football.

To make a sub-forum for football seems really riciculous.

I like Adam's idea.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 09:00 AM
This is the "Chiefs"planet.
A site (loosely) dedicated to Chiefs football.

To make a sub-forum for football seems really riciculous.

I like Adam's idea.
Did you use the draft forum this year? Those of us who did, I think, really liked it....because you didn't have to sort through the garbage threads. However, I do think it should be limited to March & April. The other ten months, everything else Draft-related gets posted back into the Lounge.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I dunno, milkman. ChiefsPlanet has always been more about chatter between folks who happen to have football in common than a football site.

I agree that a football sub-forum on ChiefsPlanet seems ridiculous on the face of it, but it would address the problem.

ChiefsPlanet and PoopPlanet.

Just think about it. Let it percolate for a while.

xoxo~
Gaz
Apparently all alone on this one.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 09:02 AM
DraftPlanet was a good move. I agree that it should exist during draft time and then be merged into the Lounge.

xoxo~
Gaz
May have to abandon the PoopPlanet platform.

JBucc
06-03-2006, 09:03 AM
So long as DC stays away I don't much care what else gets merged or unmerged.

wazu
06-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the effort, Adam. As Gaz's first posts demonstrate, I think some will be confused. When in the poll you say "one-stop shopping" in the Lounge, people will in a knee-jerk fashion click "no"---because many still don't want politics in the Lounge, which I understand.

I understood your intent (to keep the LINK to DC in the Lounge, along with the other subforums you listed)....because I read your thread starter too--but even I sometimes vote, before reading the thread starter carefully.

I tried to guard against this a little by actually saying no D.C. in the Poll question itself, but looks like you are right.

milkman
06-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Did you use the draft forum this year? Those of us who did, I think, really liked it....because you didn't have to sort through the garbage threads. However, I do think it should be limited to March & April. The other ten months, everything else Draft-related gets posted back into the Lounge.

Yes I did, and I didn't like it.

I think that draft discussion traffic was slowed as a result.

I think that some people that might have participated, didn't.

In years past, people who weren't familiar with upcoming prospects would post questions in draft discussion topics, and people with knowledge of the player would answer those questions.

We didn't get that as much this year.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Mr. Kotter is correct. The wording of the poll is skewing the results.

Perhaps a series of polls is in order:
• Should the DC Forum remain separate from the Lounge?
• Should the Pictures Forum remain separate from the Lounge?
• Should the GeeksPlanet Forum remain separate from the Lounge?
• Should the MusicPlanet Forum reamin separate from the Lounge?
• Should there be a separate DraftPlanet Forum leading up to the draft?

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to separate all the issues.

milkman
06-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I tried to guard against this a little by actually saying no D.C. in the Poll question itself, but looks like you are right.

Well I, an uneducated milkman, had no dificulty understanding your plan, and I like it.

teedubya
06-03-2006, 09:13 AM
If the mods could eliminate the ability to post new threads in these two subforums it would improve their good idea even more.

this is a brilliant idea. The idea to archive them is good, but just not to post new threads.

Gaz
06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Well I, an uneducated milkman, had no dificulty understanding your plan, and I like it.

Don’t be shaking your “oh so superior” milkman status at me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wanted to be a milkman, but couldn’t pass the physical.

milkman
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Don’t be shaking your “oh so superior” milkman status at me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wanted to be a milkman, but couldn’t pass the physical.

I wanted to be educated, but couldn't stay awake.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes I did, and I didn't like it.

I think that draft discussion traffic was slowed as a result.

I think that some people that might have participated, didn't.

In years past, people who weren't familiar with upcoming prospects would post questions in draft discussion topics, and people with knowledge of the player would answer those questions.

We didn't get that as much this year.

Maybe. I also think a lot of people viewed the threads over there, without necessarily posting themselves.

patteeu
06-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Do you commonly discuss poop in mixed company or would you add that as a third off-limits topic?

Personally, I find it far more common to hear people discussing religion and politics in polite/mixed company than discussions of poop. Should we sanitize the main forum and protect it from Iowanian's colorful/creative rants (no offense to Iowanian intended) and discussions about dirty sanchezes and angry pirates too? Good lord, this message board is not a polite/mixed company kind of place. It's a wild west frontier type place although it's not as wild west as it used to be.

vailpass
06-03-2006, 09:51 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Mostly easy.

speaking as a rival fan/visitor the above post voices my feelings 100%. The only thought I would add is "bring on training camp so we can get back to football and put talk of that other forum (shudder) in the rear view mirror."

cdcox
06-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I didn't like the draft forum.

I'm generally interested in the draft, but I don't follow college football so I have very little to contribute to the conversation early in the year. In years past, if I saw a draft topic in the lounge I would read it, and withing a couple weeks I'd have a pretty good lay of the land as far as the draft goes.

With the draft threads in a subforum, I didn't even read many of the threads. About a week before the draft I did go over there and start reading them just so I'd know what the heck was going on. But it was more like studying something that the casual banter by which I normally get my draft info. I also think there was less draft talk overall with the subforum.

It was nice to have everything in one place. The ideal solution would be to have draft threads in the lounge with a "mirror" sub-forum. So essentially there would be 2 duplicate copies of the draft threads at any given time. I guess VB doesn't support that.

the Talking Can
06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
the number of posts on DC is larger than all the subforums combined...just move DC to the sub-forum list where it belongs - in spite of the childish whining by those who can't even stand "the mere sight of the link"....remove the music subforum, if you're worried about space issues on the main page....problem solved...

Simplex3
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
the number of posts on DC is larger than all the subforums combined...just move DC to the sub-forum list where it belongs - in spite of the childish whining by those who can't even stand "the mere sight of the link"....remove the music subforum, if you're worried about space issues on the main page....problem solved...
Shouldn't you be off bitching about Chimp-Monkey-President or some other nonsense?

the Talking Can
06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Shouldn't you be off bitching about Chimp-Monkey-President or some other nonsense?

shouldn't you be lurking in the DC?

cdcox
06-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't like the Geeks or Music forums either. As someone else pointed out, maybe it is the way people use them. If everyone started those threads in the lounge and they only got moved after they had fallen off the first two pages it would be okay. An archive for geek sort of makes sense (although when I have gone to search there for tech help, my problem is seldom addressed). But an archive for music topics? I don't get it.

JBucc
06-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't like the Geeks or Music forums either. As someone else pointed out, maybe it is the way people use them. If everyone started those threads in the lounge and they only got moved after they had fallen off the first two pages it would be okay. An archive for geek sort of makes sense (although when I have gone to search there for tech help, my problem is seldom addressed). But an archive for music topics? I don't get it.I agree with the music forum. The music topics that made it to the lounge were much more active and entertaining, even the sucky Gochief's one.

greg63
06-03-2006, 10:08 AM
• DC Forum
• Romper Room

xoxo~
Gaz

I voted yes but with the above notable acceptations.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't like the Geeks or Music forums either. As someone else pointed out, maybe it is the way people use them. If everyone started those threads in the lounge and they only got moved after they had fallen off the first two pages it would be okay. An archive for geek sort of makes sense (although when I have gone to search there for tech help, my problem is seldom addressed). But an archive for music topics? I don't get it.

That would probably create more work than it's worth for the mods, unless they had a way of "tagging" threads to-be-moved....when they fall to page 3 or 4, or whatever. I think the Geek-Tech forum is useful to "file" that info; I think the music forum, is similar in the sense....there are alot of music fans here, and while those threads gets some hits over time.....it's not enough to keep them on the first few pages for very long.

patteeu
06-03-2006, 11:02 AM
That would probably create more work than it's worth for the mods, unless they had a way of "tagging" threads to-be-moved....when they fall to page 3 or 4, or whatever. I think the Geek-Tech forum is useful to "file" that info; I think the music forum, is similar in the sense....there are alot of music fans here, and while those threads gets some hits over time.....it's not enough to keep them on the first few pages for very long.

The mods said that's how those subforums were intended to be used. They may not have envisioned every single music or geek thread being posted to the Lounge first, but they have unabiguously approved of creating them there at the discretion of the thread starter.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
The mods said that's how those subforums were intended to be used. They may not have envisioned every single music or geek thread being posted to the Lounge first, but they have unabiguously approved of creating them there at the discretion of the thread starter.

I think you are right. I'm just saying I don't think it's worked out as intended; some post threads in those forums, some don't....some post in the Lounge to start, some of those threads get moved while other don't....the more I think about it, Geeks has a good reason for it's stand alone as a sub forum status; I don't think the Music does so much....personally, I'd prefer to see it in the Lounge.

RealSNR
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
We have a Royals lounge, but nobody uses it. The big news about them gets plastered on the main page anyway. May as well get rid of that.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 11:13 AM
We have a Royals lounge, but nobody uses it. The big news about them gets plastered on the main page anyway. May as well get rid of that.

Yup.

Sully
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Why do I feel like the only person who think things, the way they are right now, are fan-darned-tastic?

Tribal Warfare
06-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Why do I feel like the only person who think things, the way they are right now, are fan-darned-tastic?

n00b-alert

patteeu
06-03-2006, 11:51 AM

Sep 2005 :)

OldTownChief
06-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Moving music threads out of the lounge is stupid.

OldTownChief
06-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Allowing spamming threads for WPI is stupider.