PDA

View Full Version : Which of the following would most interest you?

Rain Man
06-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Great mysteries explained.

Note that I am intentionally excluding any religious discoveries. Let's keep this secular, unless of course one of the above impacts religion.

Poll coming...or maybe not. How can you really know for sure?

chiefsfaninNC
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
I am going with other. This poll posting technology has me stumped.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 08:28 AM
There's several up there I could pick.( esp, dinosaurs, ghosts, Bermuda Triangle, pyramids and UFO's etc.)
But I'd say Atlantis trumps them all for me.

milkman
06-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd have to say that Hitler's diary would be facinating reading material.

wazu
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Gotta say dinosaurs. That could make for some rivetting reality TV. Just turn that crazy Australian guy (can't remember his name) loose and broadcast live to the world.

patteeu
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I picked UFO's, but I was tempted by Atlantis, Dinosaurs, Pyramids and ESP.

CosmicPal
06-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I'll take the Dinosaur one...that would be damn exciting.

Ahem, ghosts really do exist.

jspchief
06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Best. Poll. Ever.

I refuse to choose only one.

Tribal Warfare
06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Where's the banging of the supemodel of your choice option

KC Jones
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I picked UFO's, but I was tempted by Atlantis, Dinosaurs, Pyramids and ESP.

I'm still torn - but leaning towards UFOs. That's what would probably hold the greatest promise of advancements in our society/technology - unless of course we were just a novel delicacy for the aliens.

JBucc
06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Those other ones are cool but I couldn't pass up $241.

milkman
06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I'll take the Dinosaur one...that would be damn exciting.

Ahem, ghosts really do exist.

Yeah, and so does Santa Claus.

And the Easter Bunny.

And The Great Pumpkin.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I chose Nessie. Because I'd like to catch her on a flyrod and grill that tasty relic over mesquite coals.
I'll bet she'd go well with a chilled Muscadet.

Ummm. Mass hysteria.

Adept Havelock
06-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I voted UFO's, but would also be curious about the origins of the Atlantis/Mu myths.

Or if they actually found Shambhala....

Demonpenz
06-03-2006, 09:43 AM
chiefs defense is found off the cost of nova scotia

patteeu
06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm still torn - but leaning towards UFOs. That's what would probably hold the greatest promise of advancements in our society/technology - unless of course we were just a novel delicacy for the aliens.

ROFL I almost didn't pick UFOs precisely because that thought would be far more frightening than interesting.

milkman
06-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Twilight Zone.

"To Serve Mankind"

banyon
06-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I voted for UFO's/Aliens and...I get it?

http://img.timeinc.net/popsci/images/2006/05/redrain_485.jpg

Is It Raining Aliens?
Nearly 50 tons of mysterious red particles showered India in 2001. Now the race is on to figure out what the heck they are

By Jebediah Reed | June 2006

Courtesy Dr. Godfrey Louis

E.T. Under the Microscope: Scientists have yet to identify the unusual particles [above, magnified 500 times] isolated from India’s mysterious red rainwater.

As bizarre as it may seem, the sample jars brimming with cloudy, reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis’s laboratory in southern India may hold, well, aliens. In April, Louis, a solid-state physicist at Mahatma Gandhi University, published a paper in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics and Space Science in which he hypothesizes that the samples—water taken from the mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically across Louis’s home state of Kerala in the summer of 2001—contain microbes from outer space.
Specifically, Louis has isolated strange, thick-walled, red-tinted cell-like structures about 10 microns in size. Stranger still, dozens of his experiments suggest that the particles may lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully, even in water superheated to nearly 600˚F. (The known upper limit for life in water is about 250˚F.) So how to explain them? Louis speculates that the particles could be extraterrestrial bacteria adapted to the harsh conditions of space and that the microbes hitched a ride on a comet or meteorite that later broke apart in the upper atmosphere and mixed with rain clouds above India. If his theory proves correct, the cells would be the first confirmed evidence of alien life and, as such, could yield tantalizing new clues to the origins of life on Earth.

Last winter, Louis sent some of his samples to astronomer Chandra Wickramasinghe and his colleagues at Cardiff University in Wales, who are now attempting to replicate his experiments; Wickramasinghe expects to publish his initial findings later this year.

Meanwhile, more down-to-earth theories abound. One Indian government investigation conducted in 2001 lays blame for what some have called the “blood rains” on algae. Other theories have implicated fungal spores, red dust swept up from the Arabian peninsula, even a fine mist of blood cells produced by a meteor striking a high-flying flock of bats.

Louis and his colleagues dismiss all these theories, pointing to the fact that both algae and fungus possess DNA and that blood cells have thin walls and die quickly when exposed to water and air. More important, they argue, blood cells don’t replicate. “We’ve already got some stunning pictures—transmission electron micrographs—of these cells sliced in the middle,” Wickramasinghe says. “We see them budding, with little daughter cells inside the big cells.”

Louis’s theory holds special appeal for Wickramasinghe. A quarter of a century ago, he co-authored the modern theory of panspermia, which posits that bacteria-riddled space rocks seeded life on Earth. “If it’s true that life was introduced by comets four billion years ago,” the astronomer says, “one would expect that microorganisms are still injected into our environment from time to time. This could be one of those events.”

The next significant step, explains University of Sheffield microbiologist Milton Wainwright, who is part of another British team now studying Louis’s samples, is to confirm whether the cells truly lack DNA. So far, one preliminary DNA test has come back positive.“Life as we know it must contain DNA, or it’s not life,” he says. “But even if this organism proves to be an anomaly, the absence of DNA wouldn’t necessarily mean it’s extraterrestrial.”

Louis and Wickramasinghe are planning further experiments to test the cells for specific carbon isotopes. If the results fall outside the norms for life on Earth, it would be powerful new evidence for Louis’s idea, of which even Louis himself remains skeptical. “I would be most happy to accept a simpler explanation,” he says, “but I cannot find any."

Popular Science (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/2c21c0f98d07b010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html)

pak1983
06-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Gotta say dinosaurs. That could make for some rivetting reality TV. Just turn that crazy Australian guy (can't remember his name) loose and broadcast live to the world.

That would be the best ****ing show ever!

This is the best pole ever, rep to Rain Man!

pak1983
06-03-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=banyon]I voted for UFO's/Aliens and...I get it?

http://img.timeinc.net/popsci/images/2006/05/redrain_485.jpg

Is It Raining Aliens?
Nearly 50 tons of mysterious red particles showered India in 2001. Now the race is on to figure out what the heck they are

That rules!

patteeu
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I voted for UFO's/Aliens and...I get it?

That's pretty interesting, but I have to admit that if I'd interpreted Rain Man's UFO option to mean the discovery of alien bacteria, as opposed to little green men with extraordinarily big heads like Gazoo on the Flintstones, I'd have probably picked something else.

banyon
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
That's pretty interesting, but I have to admit that if I'd interpreted Rain Man's UFO option to mean the discovery of alien bacteria, as opposed to little green men with extraordinarily big heads like Gazoo on the Flintstones, I'd have probably picked something else.

Hey, that's The Great Gazoo to you! :)

Bowser
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I was torn between the Pyramids/Atlantis/UFO's.

The only problem with finding out that the conspiracies are true about any of these, including some of the other choices, is that religion would take a major shot to the groin. A lot of people's beliefs will be challenged, especially if it was ever found out that these secrets had been discovered some time ago, and kept under wraps.

Adept Havelock
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
chiefs defense is found off the cost of nova scotia

Damn Templar's!!! :cuss:

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Under "other non-religious mystery" we have Chiefs defense coming up?
How 'bout we get your offense and you get our defense for one new team?*
:shrug: :toast:

* my football talk qualifications being invoked here.

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm all over the 55 year plan...

CosmicPal
06-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, and so does Santa Claus.

And the Easter Bunny.

And The Great Pumpkin.

Yeah, and so does the milkman.

:rolleyes:

Lurch
06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
UFOs. I gotta say, if you buy the we are here by chance argument.....the idea we are alone becomes silly in my opinion.

Rain Man
06-03-2006, 02:37 PM
While I would find the pyramids and Hitler's diary to be quite fascinating, and my first reaction was to go with the UFOs, I decided to vote for ghosts.

If ghosts really exist, I think it would provide evidence that would completely change our worldview. Humans would no longer be chained to bodies, there would be at least some potential for eternal earthly life, and of course the whole question of an afterlife would become much more focused and informed. Whereas the other options would profoundly change our views of the universe, the existence of ghosts would be the discovery of a whole new universe.

And that's not even considering the possibility that, if we could communicate with ghosts, we could develop an enormous understanding of human history.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 02:52 PM
If ghosts really exist, I think it would provide evidence that would completely change our worldview. Humans would no longer be chained to bodies, there would be at least some potential for eternal life, and of course the whole question of an afterlife would become much more focused and informed.

I like your thinking on this point and I agree.
But we need not just rely on ghosts alone for this since more of the earth's population accept this idea that we are not chained to bodies eternally or even believe we come back. It's mainly not accepted by the Judeo-Christian and secularist west.

Rain Man
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I like your thinking on this point and I agree.
But we need not just rely on ghosts alone for this since more of the earth's population accept this idea that we are not chained to bodies eternally or even believe we come back. It's mainly not accepted by the Judeo-Christian and secularist west.

Yeah, but a lot of them also believe that the earth is balanced on giant tortoises, too. I think the big change would come when science confirms the belief and makes contact.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but a lot of them also believe that the earth is balanced on giant tortoises, too. I think the big change would come when science confirms the belief and makes contact.

They do? I never heard of that. We've had our supersitions in the west too.
I mean just look at football players and wearing the right socks before a game etc. Or people who believe in their horoscopes for that matter.

Some already claim evidence though. It's just not widely accepted.

BTW, have you ever had an out of body experience?

58-4ever
06-03-2006, 03:08 PM

:rolleyes:

patteeu
06-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Talk to Big Daddy about that. He's into that stuff and IIRC, he says he's had an OBE or two.

angel
06-03-2006, 03:21 PM
so whichever one gets the most votes, you'll make it happen?

c'mon everyone! vote for the ghosts! I want to see some ghosts!

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Talk to Big Daddy about that. He's into that stuff and IIRC, he says he's had an OBE or two.
Cool. We discussed it on my Buc Board once.
There were quite a few that claimed this.
It's happened to me twice. My cousin while on an operating table. My ex said as a child it happened to him every night. My daughter asked me about this sensation she had of rising toward the ceiling in her room and coming back down. Actually, it's not uncommon in children. I know someone who gives piano lessons and children are freer about mentioning it. But I think society runs such heavy skepticism on it that they abandon the idea.

Rausch
06-03-2006, 03:24 PM
so whichever one gets the most votes, you'll make it happen?

c'mon everyone! vote for the ghosts! I want to see some ghosts!

Given enough time to think about it you'd change your mind.

angel
06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Given enough time to think about it you'd change your mind.
no, I've thought about it quite a bit-- ask mcan, he's been involved in our many discussions about it-- I think it would be neat

Rausch
06-03-2006, 03:31 PM
no, I've thought about it quite a bit-- ask mcan, he's been involved in our many discussions about it-- I think it would be neat

Have you considered the religious implications?...

angel
06-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Have you considered the religious implications?...
this thread isn't religious

Rausch
06-03-2006, 03:39 PM
this thread isn't religious

Just logical deduction.

If there are ghosts these souls aren't in heaven or hell.

There are reports of the ghosts of children. Personally, the idea that the soul of some child is running around saying "help me" or some such thing would bother me...

angel
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Just logical deduction.

If there are ghosts these souls aren't in heaven or hell.

There are reports of the ghosts of children. Personally, the idea that the soul of some child is running around saying "help me" or some such thing would bother me...
I just see ghosts more as weird shadows of a person that lead you to clues and stuff like that...

it's not an actual person or "soul", it's just a reflection of someone that got left over and now can lead you to all sorts of neat things-- like buried treasure or fossils or something

Rausch
06-03-2006, 03:50 PM
I just see ghosts more as weird shadows of a person that lead you to clues and stuff like that...

it's not an actual person or "soul", it's just a reflection of someone that got left over and now can lead you to all sorts of neat things-- like buried treasure or fossils or something

So, more like a physical memory, or something?

Doesn't fit the classical definition in most people's minds, but I see what you mean...

angel
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
So, more like a physical memory, or something?

Doesn't fit the classical definition in most people's minds, but I see what you mean...
I'm not most people's classical definition

ask me about other things. I'll show you

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 03:57 PM
'ESP is a real phenomenon.'

I like this one. because I KNEW you were going to create this thread. With a poll... :)

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
The UFO thing seems really interesting.

Bowser
06-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Speaking of mysteries, I'd like to know where in the hell my keys are.

Hammock Parties
06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I had a hard time deciding between Loch Ness and Atlantis. Water intrigues me, I guess. I voted for Atlantis because the Monster could die.

If aliens really existed I'd be one of those dudes that left with them at the end of Close Encounters.

Rain Man
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Speaking of mysteries, I'd like to know where in the hell my keys are.

Have you looked on your piano?

Rausch
06-04-2006, 01:14 AM

ask me about other things. I'll show you

Still thinking...

keg in kc
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM

ask me about other things. I'll show youI'm not touching that one.

Rausch
06-04-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm not touching that one.

Yeah, I'm pretty much prohibited from touching other chix myself.

Other than CPR. I mean, you know, it'd still be a sensitive subject later but I've eaten pie with marines. It's the least I can do...

keg in kc
06-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty much prohibited from touching other chix myself. I was once like you.

Ahh, freedom. Freedom.

Rausch
06-04-2006, 01:35 AM
I was once like you.

Drinking a beer at 2:35 AM and posting on the planet in yer boxers?

keg in kc
06-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Drinking a beer at 2:35 AM and posting on the planet in yer boxers?That's me. Sans the boxers.

Rausch
06-04-2006, 01:49 AM
That's me. Sans the boxers.

I'd say we should start a club but that could be........uncomfortable.

keg in kc
06-04-2006, 02:34 AM
I'd say we should start a club but that could be........uncomfortable.Yeah, my chair chafes. I can't do this too often.

KcMizzou
06-04-2006, 02:56 AM
I voted for Nessie... Something about having a chance to see a real live dinosaur. Too cool.. Brings out the kid in me.

Edit : Crap... I'd like to change my vote to the first option. :banghead:

memyselfI
06-04-2006, 07:06 AM
'ESP is a real phenomenon.'

I like this one. because I KNEW you were going to create this thread. With a poll... :)

ROFL

mikey23545
06-04-2006, 07:48 AM
While I would find the pyramids and Hitler's diary to be quite fascinating, and my first reaction was to go with the UFOs, I decided to vote for ghosts.

If ghosts really exist, I think it would provide evidence that would completely change our worldview. Humans would no longer be chained to bodies, there would be at least some potential for eternal earthly life, and of course the whole question of an afterlife would become much more focused and informed. Whereas the other options would profoundly change our views of the universe, the existence of ghosts would be the discovery of a whole new universe.

And that's not even considering the possibility that, if we could communicate with ghosts, we could develop an enormous understanding of human history.

I had already voted for UFOs before I read this post (and probably still would) but I have to admit your analysis of the repercussions that would erupt out of the discovery of the existence of ghosts is a compelling reason to switch choices.

Megbert
06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Went with UFO's. It was down to that and Atlantis for me. THought the ESP was ESPN at first then realized there was no 'N' at the end. So I thought does Rain Man live in some alternate universe where ESPN does not exist. Man I should read more carefully.

It would suck if say the whole Mayan 12/21/12' is true.