PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez wants to end his career in Kansas City

The Poz
06-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Chiefs | Gonzalez wants to end his career in Kansas City
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:14:10 -0700

Rick Dean, writing for Morris News Service, reports Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez has made it clear he wants to end his career in Kansas City, but he refused to discuss contract negotiations with the Chiefs. The team also wants to sign him to a long-term deal that will allow him to finish his career as a Chief. As is the case with all business deals, the financial terms must add up properly for both parties. Gonzalez's contract runs through the 2006 season. It is hardly a secret that Gonzalez spends little of his offseason in Kansas City. It's even less of a secret that the Chiefs wish he'd spend more here in offseason conditioning with his teammates. Gonzalez believes new offensive coordinator Mike Solari, the former offensive line coach, is a kindred spirit who will look for a tight end in scoring zone situations. "As soon as he got the job, I flew back here to meet with (Solari) and coach (Jon) Embree, my new position coach. He asked me straight-up what routes I thought worked best, and he said he'd get them called. We'll see what happens, but I have (no) doubt that he'll get me the ball."

noa
06-03-2006, 11:30 AM
"As soon as he got the job, I flew back here to meet with (Solari) and coach (Jon) Embree, my new position coach. He asked me straight-up what routes I thought worked best, and he said he'd get them called. We'll see what happens, but I have (no) doubt that he'll get me the ball."

This is great...I really hope they get back to the basics in the red zone. Either run with LJ or throw to TG. None of that fancy Al Saunders stuff that got Trent into trouble. It would have been nice for us to pick up another receiver who can go across the middle and take some of the pressure off TG, but maybe someone will step up this year and help out (Kris Wilson?).

FringeNC
06-03-2006, 11:39 AM
is a kindred spirit who will look for a tight end in scoring zone situations

Doesn't this belong in the Carson Palmer Cornhole Classic thread?

Gonzo
06-03-2006, 11:43 AM
This is great... but maybe someone will step up this year and help out (Kris Wilson?).

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

keg in kc
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
He talked about that with Soren Petro a day or two ago. Said he expects to play 5 more years.

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear we're finally gonna go with what works in the red zone. Just curious, where do u guys rank Tony in the pantheon of all-time Chiefs. I think he's at the top with DT, Lenny, and Shields. Lj may someday stand above them all but only time will tell on that...

Lurch
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
He talked about that with Soren Petro a day or two ago. Said he expects to play 5 more years.

He's got 5 or 6 good years left in him, if he continues to take care of himself. That's good news for the Chiefs.

keg in kc
06-03-2006, 11:57 AM
He seems very motivated to break all of Shannon Sharpe's records.

cdcox
06-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Including SB wins? Sweet!

Lurch

It shouldn't be a problem. I suspect he'll close in on some of those in the next 2-3 yrs.

FAX
Yeah, Mr. keg in kc. And, if he stays healthy, breaks the records, and the guy in SD has issues, TG will go down as the greatest TE of all times.

That would really be something.

FAX

CoMoChief
06-03-2006, 12:01 PM
This is great...I really hope they get back to the basics in the red zone. Either run with LJ or throw to TG. None of that fancy Al Saunders stuff that got Trent into trouble. It would have been nice for us to pick up another receiver who can go across the middle and take some of the pressure off TG, but maybe someone will step up this year and help out (Kris Wilson?).

Say what you will about AS, the guy was a fantastic OC. You will see this season that our passing game will lose some steps because of his absense. And I'm not talking about running the ball more, I'm talking about the passing game as a whole.

Lurch
06-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Mr. keg in kc. And, if he stays healthy, breaks the records, and the guy in SD has issues, TG will go down as the greatest TE of all times.

That would really be something.

FAX

If Gates has the longevity of Gonzo, he'll make a run. The kid that the Niners drafted should have a storied career too.

keg in kc
06-03-2006, 12:02 PM
I think he'll go down as the best TE in history regardless. He's the most complete TE in the league by a wide margin IMO. Dude in SD is essentially a giant wide receiver.

He'll probably break Sharpe's TD rec this year. Yards and catches in 2-3.

jspchief
06-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe I'm too much of a glass half empty type of guy, but this sounds like the kind of rhetoric that normally preceeds an ugly contract negotiation.

keg in kc
06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I think we have room under the cap for a reason, and not just Ty Law.

cdcox
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Gonzo's career started two years earlier than Gates. If Gonzo is productive until he is 35, Gates will have a hard time catching him.

milkman
06-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Glad to hear we're finally gonna go with what works in the red zone. Just curious, where do u guys rank Tony in the pantheon of all-time Chiefs. I think he's at the top with DT, Lenny, and Shields. Lj may someday stand above them all but only time will tell on that...

When you talk about the pantheon of great Chiefs and you don't even mention the 3 greatest, Willie, Bobby, and Buck, your post loses a little credibility.

greg63
06-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I think we have room under the cap for a reason, and not just Ty Law.

Excellent point!

I still think he is arguably the best TE in the league.

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 12:40 PM
my bad milkman, I figured I was forgetting a few...

milkman
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
my bad milkman, I figured I was forgetting a few...

I'll forgive you, this one time. :)

FAX
06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
If Gates has the longevity of Gonzo, he'll make a run. The kid that the Niners drafted should have a storied career too.

You're right, Mr. Lurch, of course.

As regards the guy in SD (I refuse to articulate his name), he's already being called one of the best, if not the best TE in the league, by the ESPN clones. This is a deplorable travesty.

It will probably boil down to injuries as mentioned. If TG stays healthy, he will be able to accomplish remarkable things that will land him, not only in the hall, but in the pantheon of all time greats at their position.

The guy in SD has a shot, to be sure, but he has to stay healthy for a long, long time. Oh, and their offense has to produce. I kind of wonder about that part after this off season. Either way, it has to be said the TG redefined the TE position.

FAX

milkman
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Either way, it has to be said the TG redefined the TE position.

FAX

That's homerism.

He is just cut from the same mold as guys like Ozzie Newsome and Kellen Winslow.

Lurch
06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
That's homerism.

He is just cut from the same mold as guys like Ozzie Newsome and Kellen Winslow.

Eh, Newsome, Winslow, and Sharpe were all excellent; but Gonzo's complete package....catches, red zone utility, and blocking ability would make him my pick, even if I wasn't a Chief's fan.

milkman
06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Eh, Newsome, Winslow, and Sharpe were all excellent; but Gonzo's complete package....catches, red zone utility, and blocking ability would make him my pick, even if I wasn't a Chief's fan.

Regardless of whether he's better, TG did not "redefine" the position.

FAX
06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
That's homerism.

I never claimed I wasn't a homer, Mr. milkman. In fact, I believe I have always said I am. And darn proud of it. This whole fan objectivity thing is way overrated.

Anyway, here's my argument for my case. I watched both Newsome and Winslow for years. Neither one of those players had TG's skills as a receiver and route runner. TG has unbelievable hands, far better elevation than either of those guys and can work from a variety of offensive sets because he's much quicker and much more mobile. Blocking aside, the reason TG is closing in on the records isn't because he's like other TEs. It's because he isn't.

NFL scouts are looking for TG clones wherever they can find them because TG made the TE position a much more effective and flexible offensive weapon.

FAX

milkman
06-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I never claimed I wasn't a homer, Mr. milkman. In fact, I believe I have always said I am. And darn proud of it. This whole fan objectivity thing is way overrated.

Anyway, here's my argument for my case. I watched both Newsome and Winslow for years. Neither one of those players had TG's skills as a receiver and route runner. TG has unbelievable hands, far better elevation than either of those guys and can work from a variety of offensive sets because he's much quicker and much more mobile. Blocking aside, the reason TG is closing in on the records isn't because he's like other TEs. It's because he isn't.

NFL scouts are looking for TG clones wherever they can find them because TG made the TE position a much more effective and flexible offensive weapon.

FAX

Winslow was very athletic and moved around, and for my money, both he and Newsome had more consistent hands.

FAX
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Winslow was very athletic and moved around, and for my money, both he and Newsome had more consistent hands.

Winslow had no knees for much of his career, Mr. milkman. I'm not sure we're talking about the same Winslow, here.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
He talked about that with Soren Petro a day or two ago. Said he expects to play 5 more years.I hope so. He'll shatter Sharpe's record...

milkman
06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Winslow had no knees for much of his career, Mr. milkman. I'm not sure we're talking about the same Winslow, here.

FAX

No, we are talking about the same Winslow.

He lined up in on the outside, in the slot, or in a traditional TE set, much like Tony.

The difference is that he didn't shift as much as Tony.

Skip Towne
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Gonzo's career started two years earlier than Gates. If Gonzo is productive until he is 35, Gates will have a hard time catching him.
Gonzo started in 1997, Gates in 2003.

FAX
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Excerpt from an Associated Content article by a non-Chiefs fan homer type person.

I can guarantee that when Gonzalez’s playing days are over, he will be recognized as the first of the new breed of tight ends that are currently setting the league on fire with the usual size of a tight end but displaying the grace, speed and catching ability of a wide receiver.

Link To Article (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/33215/five_best_tight_ends_in_nfl_history.html)

FAX

milkman
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Excerpt from an Associated Content article by a non-Chiefs fan homer type person.

I can guarantee that when Gonzalez’s playing days are over, he will be recognized as the first of the new breed of tight ends that are currently setting the league on fire with the usual size of a tight end but displaying the grace, speed and catching ability of a wide receiver.

Link To Article (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/33215/five_best_tight_ends_in_nfl_history.html)

FAX

You don't know me at all, do you FAX?

Not to be direspectful to you, but I don't ever give a rat's ass what talking heads or anyone in the media say.
They just slobber the knobs of whoever is in front of them at the moment, usually.

FAX
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
You don't know me at all, do you FAX?

Not to be direspectful to you, but I don't ever give a rat's ass what talking heads or anyone in the media say.
They just slobber the knobs of whoever is in front of them at the moment, usually.

Far be it from me to doubt or disagree with your football knowledge which has proven time and again to be both extensive and insightful, Mr. milkman. However, am I not allowed to have a discussion with you? Or don't I know you well enough?

I have stated that TG “redefined the TE position”. I based that statement on the fact that TG is more agile, quicker, and more mobile than the TEs before him. This allows the TE position to be used as an offensive threat in more sets, more routes, and more situations.

1. You called that comment, "homerism". Did you not?

2. Then, you said that "Winslow was very athletic and moved around". Did you not?

As for point one. I'm simply using the media hack’s article to demonstrate that you don't have to be a "homer" to recognize that TG brought a new dimension to the TE position. You and I both know that a lot of people would agree with me and they don't happen to be homers. Actually, many of them are NFL scouts.

As for point two, Winslow's knees were so bad (particularly later in his career) that he was simply not as mobile and quick as TG. Not even close.

Ozzie was, basically, a tackle with great hands.

I respect your opinion, don't get me wrong. I always have. And, if you want to have a civilized conversation about differences in opinion on the subject of football, fine. Otherwise, maybe you can find someone else to kiss your ass for you.

FAX

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Gonzo started in 1997, Gates in 2003.True. But Gonzo just turned 30; Gates will be 26 before the season (Gonzo began his NFL career at 21, Gates at 23.) I'll also suspect Gonzo will have a longer career in this league, because of his all-around ability.

milkman
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Far be it from me to doubt or disagree with your football knowledge which has proven time and again to be both extensive and insightful, Mr. milkman. However, am I not allowed to have a discussion with you? Or don't I know you well enough?

I have stated that TG “redefined the TE position”. I based that statement on the fact that TG is more agile, quicker, and more mobile than the TEs before him. This allows the TE position to be used as an offensive threat in more sets, more routes, and more situations.

1. You called that comment, "homerism". Did you not?

2. Then, you said that "Winslow was very athletic and moved around". Did you not?

As for point one. I'm simply using the media hack’s article to demonstrate that you don't have to be a "homer" to recognize that TG brought a new dimension to the TE position. You and I both know that a lot of people would agree with me and they don't happen to be homers. Actually, many of them are NFL scouts.

As for point two, Winslow's knees were so bad (particularly later in his career) that he was simply not as mobile and quick as TG. Not even close.

Ozzie was, basically, a tackle with great hands.

I respect your opinion, don't get me wrong. I always have. And, if you want to have a civilized conversation about differences in opinion on the subject of football, fine. Otherwise, maybe you can find someone else to kiss your ass for you.

FAX

First FAX, I really did not mean to insult you.
I only wanted to make my feelings about the media clear.

I hold you in the highest regard.

As for Winslow, I know he was limited by his knees to some extent, but when the play started, he put it all on the field, and made spectacular plays.

Much the same as Tony has been somewhat limited by his feet the last couple of years.

I disagree with the term "redefined the position" because I see similiarities in their game, though I would say that Tony is a more complete blocker.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 04:16 PM
First FAX, I really did not mean to insult you.
I only wanted to make my feelings about the media clear.

I hold you in the highest regard.

As for Winslow, I know he was limited by his knees to some extent, but when the play started, he put it all on the field, and made spectacular plays.

Much the same as Tony has been somewhat limited by his feet the last couple of years.

I disagree with the term "redefined the position" because I see similiarities in their game, though I would say that Tony is a more complete blocker.
I agree with FAX, but of course I'm a big time homer too. ;)

I also would submit, Tony has been more consistent....over a longer period of time. If he has even 2 or 3 decent years, that will be true. Tony's been playing 10 years--at a mostly and consistently high level. JHO.

RealSNR
06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
The ESPN media has been looking for someone to beat Gonzalez out as the league's best TE during his entire career, and they finally found it in the "kid from SD". He's had a lot of contenders, and all of them have failed. Shockey, Heap, The Chosen One, etc have all been supposed contenders who challenged Gonzalez for the title of best NFL TE, and they all pretty much lost, even if they had decent seasons. The "kid from SD" has really been the only one to actually beat Gonzo not only once, but twice.

I, nor anyone really knows exactly what he (Gonzalez) does during the offseason, but it's been awhile since we've noticed a considerable change or improvement in Gonzalez's play during training camp and preseason. We've noticed it in a lot of vets. Kennison, Roaf, and Richardson to name a few. Trent Green's season numbers simply got better and better from year to year for awhile. I'd like to see Gonzalez do the same this year as those guys did.

And in order to reclaim his title, he's going to have to have an offseason like that. Just my opinion, of course.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
eh! Anything can change. These players always say these things, until they're too expensive to keep around, or they're a cap casualty. Just ask John Lynch.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Chiefs | Gonzalez wants to end his career in Kansas City

translation "i wanna get paid"

milkman
06-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I agree with FAX, but of course I'm a big time homer too. ;)

I also would submit, Tony has been more consistent....over a longer period of time. If he has even 2 or 3 decent years, that will be true. Tony's been playing 10 years--at a mostly and consistently high level. JHO.

I'm not debating whether Tony is better.
I am only debating whether Tony has actually redefined the position.

I would say that he is the standard by which TEs will be measured in the future.

JBucc
06-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I, nor anyone really knows exactly what he (Gonzalez) does during the offseasonI think he nurses his foot

FAX
06-03-2006, 05:19 PM

No problem, Mr. milkman. And, I want to apologize to you for the way I responded. It was despicable, outrageous, and completely uncalled for.

I am emotionally distressed for some reason. I don't know if it's because I remembered that I'm going to die someday, or it's because Mr. Donger's imaginary bird got eaten, or I haven't taken any lortab today, but I'm not myself.

Still and all, that's no excuse. So two things; One, I apologize. Two, I think you're probably right about TG not redefining the position. I mean, after all, they don't call it the Tight Tony now or anything.

FAX THE SORRY

RealSNR
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
No problem, Mr. milkman. And, I want to apologize to you for the way I responded. It was despicable, outrageous, and completely uncalled for.

I am emotionally distressed for some reason. I don't know if it's because I remembered that I'm going to die someday, or it's because Mr. Donger's imaginary bird got eaten, or I haven't taken any lortab today, but I'm not myself.

Still and all, that's no excuse. So two things; One, I apologize. Two, I think you're probably right about TG not redefining the position. I mean, after all, they don't call it the Tight Tony now or anything.

FAX THE SORRYhttp://itsatrap.ytmnd.com

milkman
06-03-2006, 06:19 PM

FAX THE SORRY

There once was a poster named FAX
For reasons unknown had to grind an ax.

He usually kept his cool
but because milkman is a fool

He chewed his ass to the max.

noa
06-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Say what you will about AS, the guy was a fantastic OC. You will see this season that our passing game will lose some steps because of his absense. And I'm not talking about running the ball more, I'm talking about the passing game as a whole.

Dude, I once loved Al Saunders. I would have given him my first born child, but last season, he got way too cute in the red zone. How else can you explain that Tony G only had two TDs?! I mean, 2 touchdowns, that's abusrd. There were 20 TEs who had more TDs than Tony! I don't give a crap if our offense produces fewer yards and points this year, or if our passing game "will lose some steps." I just want to have an efficient offense, especially in the red zone, and that should consist of a healthy diet of LJ and TG. There's no excuse for the man having only 2 TD's last year, and Al Saunders definitely deserves part of the blame for that.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/TE-RECEIVING/2005/regular

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 06:32 PM
could someone plz define redefine?

milkman
06-03-2006, 06:42 PM
could someone plz define redefine?

In terms of positional players, redefine is to change the perception of expections from that position.

The best example I can think of is Buck Buchanon.

Before him, players at the DT position were expected to be just wide bodies who occupied blockers.

Buck redefined the position, because he was quick and athletic, and penetrated into the backfield creating havoc against the run, and as a pass rusher.

After he arrived, the rest of professional football began looking for the same attributes from other DTs.

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
ok. Well, in that case I agree: Tony didn't redefine the TE position. That being said, I DO beleive he is the greatest TE ever period. The guy from SD had an unbelievable rookie season, no doubt. He will have to have an extraordinary career to surpass the numbers that Tony will surely put up. Unfortunately for him, Drew Brees is gone, and I'm fairly certain Rivers isn't the guy to help him put up such numbers. Vernon Davis appears to be an absolute freak of an athlete. Does that equate to being a HOF TE? Time will tell. His QB is a debacle named Alex Smith. Again, too bad for him. All the other pretenders have fallen by the wayside year after year. I cannot effing wait to see Tony shatter every one of Sharpe's records. He IS the GOAT. I might be a homer.

BigRedChief
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Got to meet Tony G tonight. Had dinner with him as his guest through a charity I'm involved with. He looked buff and in mid season shape.

Logical
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
You're right, Mr. Lurch, of course.

As regards the guy in SD (I refuse to articulate his name), he's already being called one of the best, if not the best TE in the league, by the ESPN clones. This is a deplorable travesty.

It will probably boil down to injuries as mentioned. If TG stays healthy, he will be able to accomplish remarkable things that will land him, not only in the hall, but in the pantheon of all time greats at their position.

The guy in SD has a shot, to be sure, but he has to stay healthy for a long, long time. Oh, and their offense has to produce. I kind of wonder about that part after this off season. Either way, it has to be said the TG redefined the TE position.

FAXNot to be disrespectful Mr. FAX but the elder Kellen Winslow redefined the position, Sharp and Gonzo merely followed in his footsteps.

Mr. Kotter
06-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Not to be disrespectful Mr. FAX but the elder Kellen Winslow redefined the position, Sharp and Gonzo merely followed in his footsteps.
I beg to differ...

Winslow showed the way....but GONZO broke the friggin' door down!

"A' ight???" :harumph:

:)

Logical
06-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I beg to differ...

Winslow showed the way....but GONZO broke the friggin' door down!

"A' ight???" :harumph:

:)Not really true, unlike KC which only had Gonzo and recently only 1 quality receiver to go with him. Winslow had 2 HOF quality receivers and a third who was equally talented as Kennison so his accomplishments become all the more amazing. I am not saying that Tony will not be considered better when the career is over, just that he has done nothing that Winslow and Sharpe did not do before him.

Mr. Kotter
06-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Not really true, unlike KC which only had Gonzo and recently only 1 quality receiver to go with him. Winslow had 2 HOF quality receivers and a third who was equally talented as Kennison so his accomplishments become all the more amazing. I am not saying that Tony will not be considered better when the career is over, just that he has done nothing that Winslow and Sharpe did not do before him.

I appreciate what Winslow and Sharpe did; but barring major injuries, Gonzo will make them his bi-atches before he is done....IMO.

:)

Logical
06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
I appreciate what Winslow and Sharpe did; but barring major injuries, Gonzo will make them his bi-atches before he is done....IMO.

:)Again he may indeed set all the records, I never said otherwise. Just that he was not the person that built the new mold for receiving tight ends.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Tony is on pace at his age to break all of the TE records.

As long as he gets the routes and isn't forced into more blocking plays.
The foot stays healthy.

Green, Croyle, or Printers can deliver. he will be #1 in the record books

Hoping he does stay and finish in KC. Make it happen Damn it Carl :cuss:

Gaz
06-04-2006, 08:05 AM
The Engineer dismisses this as PC fodder for the masses.

The Fan is thrilled.

xoxo~
Gaz
Shading towards The Fan’s side.

FAX
06-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Not to be disrespectful Mr. FAX but the elder Kellen Winslow redefined the position, Sharp and Gonzo merely followed in his footsteps.

I shall rejoin this thread after my research is completed, Mr. Logical.

Be it known to all Planeteers everywhere that I plan to prove once and for all, beyond any shadow of a doubt and with complete statistical certainty that TG "redefined" the position of Tight End based on the definition of same as provided by Mr. milkman.

This may take a while, though.

FAX

StcChief
06-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I shall rejoin this thread after my research is completed, Mr. Logical.

Be it known to all Planeteers everywhere that I plan to prove once and for all, beyond any shadow of a doubt and with complete statistical certainty that TG "redefined" the position of Tight End based on the definition of same as provided by Mr. milkman.

This may take a while, though.

FAX
Mr. FAX is right

The game has evolved, type of offense used etc. as well as the players skills and how they fit in to those offenses.

When Newsome and Winslow played....how they used TE seemed different.

TG longevity and KC Offense use of him (and his Basketball abilities) really caused the numbers he is getting. And the records will fall.

Will be very interested in seeing your analysis.

milkman
06-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Mr. FAX is right

The game has evolved, type of offense used etc. as well as the players skills and how they fit in to those offenses.

When Newsome and Winslow played....how they used TE seemed different.

TG longevity and KC Offense use of him (and his Basketball abilities) really caused the numbers he is getting. And the records will fall.

Will be very interested in seeing your analysis.

The Browns offense, with Brian Sipe at QB, was a pass oriented offense for most of Newsome's career.

And Winslow, of course, played in the vaunted Air Coryell offense.

They were utilized in much the same manner as Tony.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 09:46 AM
The Browns offense, with Brian Sipe at QB, was a pass oriented offense for most of Newsome's career.

And Winslow, of course, played in the vaunted Air Coryell offense.

They were utilized in much the same manner as Tony.

Grew up watching both Winslow and Newsome. Both Great TEs.

I just seemed different time, game was different then.

Let the comparision analysis appear. I don't have time to research it.

milkman
06-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Grew up watching both Winslow and Newsome. Both Great TEs.

I just seemed different time, game was different then.

Let the comparision analysis appear. I don't have time to research it.

We're close to the same age, about a year apart.

I also grew up watching these guys.
It was a different game, but these two, especially Winslow, were used in very similiar roles to Tony.

One difference, for all the bitching and moaning I see about the contact that Tony battles each week, those guys REALLY got mugged.

BigRedChief
06-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Got to meet Tony G tonight. Had dinner with him as his guest through a charity I'm involved with. He looked buff and in mid season shape.
Tony G trying to sign me up for DT.
http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/DougandTony.jpg
Look at the mitts on the guy.

FAX
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM

Nice, Mr. BigRedChief. The picture, I mean.

FAX

StcChief
06-04-2006, 10:17 AM
We're close to the same age, about a year apart.

I also grew up watching these guys.
It was a different game, but these two, especially Winslow, were used in very similiar roles to Tony.

One difference, for all the bitching and moaning I see about the contact that Tony battles each week, those guys REALLY got mugged.

Winslow with Air Coryal is similar to how Gonzo is used.

Newsome....I don't really think so. He had some real good years and is HOFer but numbers fell off later. Too bad he played for the Browns.

TE data
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/teindex.htm

Will be enjoyable watching TG take over if he stays healthy and pass
These guys on his way to title.....

Sharpe 13 years....
Games Rec. Yrds Avg TD
TOTAL | 203 | 815 10060 12.3 62

Newsome 13 years

TOTAL | 198 | 662 7980 12.1 47

Gonzo current data 9 years
TOTAL | 143 | 648 7810 12.1 56

Winslow numbers 9 years
TOTAL | 109 | 541 6741 12.5 45

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2006, 10:36 AM
the prime’ at 30 Gonzalez wants to age here

Tight end hopes to retire a Chief

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

Welcome to 30. Soon, the aches will start. The lines will form. And before you know it, everybody will be asking the dreaded question.
Does he still have it?

Tony Gonzalez is resting his long legs in a tent Saturday afternoon, and 8-year-old boys are screaming in the background. They just heard his speech about how a shy kid who was the worst player in Pop Warner went on to NFL stardom. With Gonzalez’s hip Pro Bowl visor and million-dollar smile, the kids at his camp have no idea Tony G is now a 30-something.

Or that he’s commiserating with the older folk. Gonzalez and Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson have recently chatted about a new contract, and the talks have been amicable and have left Gonzalez hopeful that he’ll finish out his career in Kansas City.

“I’ve become close to Carl,” Gonzalez says. “He’s the one who drafted me. He’s the constant one who’s been here since I’ve been here. I trust Carl, and I probably don’t know too many players who trust their GM.

“I feel like I’m in the prime of my career. There are so many guys that it seems like they get even better after they turn 30. I look at Jerry Rice, and he was playing, he was ballin’ at 30. I look at Marvin Harrison, and he signed that huge contract and he’s 33 years old. I just turned 30, and it’s not like I’m old at all. I can play at a competitive level, a Pro Bowl level, for the next four years for sure. I know I can.”

Few 40-year-olds have Gonzalez’s NFL resume. He’s been to seven Pro Bowls, caught 648 passes and is nearing 8,000 receiving yards. Last year was considered a down season statistically for Gonzalez. He still had 78 catches for 905 yards.

And he goes into 2006 the healthiest he’s been in at least two offseasons, thanks to a surgically repaired foot. Gonzalez says he’s a better tight end now because he had to hone his blocking skills last year when left tackle Willie Roaf went down.

He’s fit enough to partake in — and this is where Chiefs fans start gasping — some pickup basketball, and plays about once a week with former professionals.

“People ask me, ‘Aren’t you scared about getting hurt?’ ” Gonzalez says. “I’m not going to do anything stupid. It’s strictly jump shooting. The trick is to play with good players, players who aren’t gonna hurt you.

“I’ve still got it. I’m not as good as I used to be, but I still have it.”
Like every offseason, Gonzalez hasn’t sat still. This weekend, he’s working with 300 campers in Olathe. He’s also jetted to and from his home in California to be with his son, Nikko.

Nikko, who’s 5, is the spitting image of his dad, and on Saturday, Tony asks him if he wants to sit in the tent or go play football.
“Play football,” Nikko says.

Gonzalez is trying to mix life lessons with fundamentals, but it wasn’t supposed to be this way. Last year, quarterback Trent Green showed up and said he only had 15 minutes. Gonzalez suggested he talk to the kids. From there, it’s been a series of talks and pats on the back.

Gonzalez sees himself in some of the kids. When a boy appears intimidated, he’ll pull him aside and tell him to have fun. Gonzalez, who’s 6 feet 5 and weighs 250 pounds, was bullied as a kid and had an aversion to speaking in front of crowds.

“I tell these kids, ‘Don’t be afraid of anything,’ ” Gonzalez says. “Life is what you make of it.”

Among this weekend’s expected guests is former Chiefs fullback Tony Richardson, who recently signed with the Vikings. Gonzalez considers Richardson, who played with him for nine years, one of his best friends.

These days, everything is different at Arrowhead Stadium. Richardson left a huge hole in the locker room, and coach Dick Vermeil’s gone, too. But Gonzalez raves about new coach Herm Edwards and his no-nonsense practices. He also likes the fact that Edwards isn’t into big, daily motivational speeches.

Veteran athletes shouldn’t need motivation, Gonzalez says.

“He’s younger. At least he comes off as younger,” Gonzalez says. “I don’t even know how old Herman Edwards is. I thought he would be 43 or something because he’s so young and full of life.”

So is Gonzalez. Even at 30. He has two years left on his contract, but the last year is voidable because of his Pro Bowl appearances.
He’d like to get a new deal worked out before — or at least during — the season. He doesn’t want the issue to drag on all year.

“I don’t want to get to free-agency,” Gonzalez says. “I don’t even want to be faced with that decision. Because right now I don’t want to leave Kansas City. I want to stay here, I want to finish my career here. This is where it started. I don’t want to wait till I’m 31 to get a new deal.”

Priest update

Priest Holmes worked a camp this weekend near McAllen, Texas, and told The Monitor newspaper that he’ll take a physical with the Chiefs sometime this week. Holmes, a Pro Bowl running back, has been out because of a neck injury since midway through the 2005 season. He did not participate in last month’s minicamp.
<HR class=tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

the Talking Can
06-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Tony has 4-5 good years left, no problem...he'll help carry us through the transition from AS to Solari and, eventually, Green to ???....pay the man, then pay LJ, than pay Allen, then pay Mitchell, then pay...

milkman
06-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Winslow with Air Coryal is similar to how Gonzo is used.

Newsome....I don't really think so. He had some real good years and is HOFer but numbers fell off later. Too bad he played for the Browns.

TE data
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/teindex.htm

Will be enjoyable watching TG take over if he stays healthy and pass
These guys on his way to title.....

Sharpe 13 years....
Games Rec. Yrds Avg TD
TOTAL | 203 | 815 10060 12.3 62

Newsome 13 years

TOTAL | 198 | 662 7980 12.1 47

Gonzo current data 9 years
TOTAL | 143 | 648 7810 12.1 56

Winslow numbers 9 years
TOTAL | 109 | 541 6741 12.5 45

Newsome was the first of the prolific receiving TEs.
He ran the deep seams, the quick slants, etc.
The same types that Winslow and Tony ran/run.

If anyone redefined the position, Newsome would be the man.

Before him TEs were just an extension of the O-Line, and very rarely primary receivers.
They were primarily safety valves in the passing game.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 10:44 AM

DTs the ones we got could use some help. Go for tryout :p

Nice Pic...Gonzo at the your charity event.

58-4ever
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM

I'm sure that you could get a few tackles at DT.

BigRedChief
06-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm sure that you could get a few tackles at DT.
Go Chiefs could get more tackles than our DT's are producing. :banghead: