PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons: David Glass abused Baird

FloridaMan88
06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Nothing really new but it further confirms that David Glass isn't being truthful in his claims that he or his son haven't meddled in personnel decisions.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dgammons_peter%26univLogi n02%3dstateChanged

Glass abused Baird

posted: Friday, June 2, 2006

Two years ago, The New York Times ran a story about Wal-Mart employees being locked in stores overnight and, as a result, one man nearly dying after a serious fall.
Royals owner David Glass is a Wal-Mart guy. What he did to Allard Baird amounted to his company's overnight practices.

When the Royals hit bottom more than a month ago, Glass decided that he'd better deflect the heat off his ownership, threw Baird to the wind and told the good people of Kansas City that changes were forthcoming. Baird told friends that while Glass hadn't talked to him, he had been fired. He went into the clubhouse and thanked the players for their efforts.

But he wasn't fired then, and for the last two weeks, general manager after general manager and baseball official after baseball official called to offer their disgust at the way Glass -- who across the industry lives with the notion that he was given the team by Bud Selig because the commissioner knows he will vote loyally -- treated one of the best human beings on the planet.

"Allard was the ultimate loyal soldier who always took the heat for Glass," says one GM. "And this is the way he's rewarded?"

"Allard never wanted to cover Glass' behind by signing a bunch of 30-somethings," says another. "But he takes the fall."

"Allard never complained when Glass denied him any money after the first pick," says one scouting director. "What a joke. Most years they were paying fourth-round money for late-first or sandwich picks, so they never took advantage of the draft. A couple of years ago, after the fifth round, they could only take $1,000 college seniors. Pathetic."

A month later, Baird was on a plane to Fort Worth for an evaluation of Luke Hochevar for next week's draft. The following day, he was fired in Kansas City.

Glass then asked him if he would stick around and run the draft next Tuesday -- since his replacement, Dayton Moore, cannot participate in the draft with the Royals (he also will not sit in on the Braves' draft). "You couldn't make this stuff up," says one NL GM.

Run the draft after being fired? Yeah, right. This isn't Wal-Mart. Allard Baird could not be locked in the draft room. He packed up his dignity and flew home to Miami to go to the Heat game with his wife.

But if you are a Royals fan, even if you think less of Glass than people across baseball, turn the page on his ownership past. As poorly as he treated Baird, he got this right. If you could canvas the entire industry and pick one person to come in and begin the reconstruction, it would be Dayton Moore.

Understand, this man turned down the opportunity to succeed John Schuerholz in Atlanta. He rejected the possibility of being the general manager of the Red Sox, which he might have been had he stayed in the process after initially being interviewed by Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino.

And now he is taking the job in Kansas City.

Not that it was an easy decision. After weeks of going back and forth, he called his wife from the ballpark Monday night and told her he was staying with the Braves. Then, as he drove home, he reconsidered. "That was the safe, comfortable decision," Moore said Thursday from Atlanta. "But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really want to go build something that is totally my own. Is there risk? Of course. But the Glass [family] told me they don't know baseball operations and don't want to know. Kansas City, like Atlanta, is a great place to raise a family, which is very important when you have kids aged 10, 7 and 4."

Tuesday morning, Moore sat down with Schuerholz and explained that he felt he had to take the job. Even though Schuerholz had indicated that Moore was his designated successor when he moves up in three or four years, the Braves GM understood and gave his protégé his blessing.

"I learned a great deal from John," Moore says. "He hires very good people, trusts and empowers them. He asks a lot of questions. He has a unique ability to make definitive decisions.

"I have great respect for the entire Atlanta organization. What John and Bobby [Cox] have built is something that may never be equaled. But what I would like to do is take all that I learned from John, Bobby, Paul Snyder, Roy Clark, Bill Fischer, Jose Martinez and everyone in that organization and see if I can apply it to something that is my own. I was flattered to be interviewed by the Red Sox. But I had heard there was a possibility that Theo [Epstein] was coming back, and even if he did not, they had already accomplished what in my lifetime is the most special, significant moment in their franchise history, and will remain that for the rest of my lifetime.

"In Kansas City, I have the opportunity to build something," Moore says. "It's a great opportunity."

Being soft-spoken and modest, Dayton Moore will get to Kansas City next weekend without any bravado or false promises. He is not going to get to town and nuke the organization.

"One of the most difficult things about this decision was my relationship with Allard," Moore says. "When I was first an area scout with the Royals, he was the cross-checker, and we became friends and he helped me immensely. I know some of the people there. I obviously worked with Brian Murphy [in K.C. and Atlanta]. I originally hired [K.C. scouting director] Deric Ladnier as an intern with the Braves.

"When I get there, I will listen. I have ideas, but I want to observe and then make decisions."

Moore has no input on the draft in either Kansas City or Atlanta and says he has no problem with it. Baird's recommendation was to use the first pick to select North Carolina left-hander Andrew Miller, but there are voices within the organization in favor of either Hochevar -- who turned down $2.5 million from the Dodgers in last year's draft and is pitching for the independent Fort Worth Cats -- or Houston pitcher Brad Lincoln. Even before Baird left, there were assurances the scouting budget had been increased so that, after the first selection, they can draft whomever they want, not the cheapest commodity on the rack; it is an indication the Glass family may have learned that it is far better to take the $5 million (from big market teams' revenue-sharing coin) usually given to a 30-something veteran who might help them win 68 games and put that money into scouting and development.

There will be no quick fix in Kansas City. Oh, prospects Alex Gordon and Billy Butler probably will impact them next season, and Moore might be able to get some young players for some of the present Royals.

But it will take time, a long time. At least David Glass got it right, though. He didn't go out and hire a retread on the advice and consent of another owner or put some former Royal player in charge because of name recognition. He convinced the best man to clean up his mess and restore what was a terrific franchise in the days of Ewing Kaufman, Joe Burke and Schuerholz. Now he has to listen to Dayton Moore and grant him the autonomy necessary to make the Royals matter again.

Lurch
06-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Glass is an ass. A first class ass at that.

Spicy McHaggis
06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
But the Glass [family] told me they don't know baseball operations and don't want to know.

Oh you got that right.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Glass then asked him if he would stick around and run the draft next Tuesday -- since his replacement, Dayton Moore, cannot participate in the draft with the Royals Glass is a ****ing asshat!

KcMizzou
06-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Glass is a ****ing asshat!Yeah, that takes nerve. I don't know why Baird wouldn't tell him to go **** himself.

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Now he has to listen to Dayton Moore and grant him the autonomy necessary to make the Royals matter again.
The autonomy and more than $3.50 and a shoebox full of beads.

RP_McMurphy
06-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Why do you think I call them the glASS family.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2006, 01:56 PM
The owners are the real reason the Royals are in true peril, it's too bad a good baseball guy has to take the fall. I don't see Dayton Moore taking any shit from them though, as highly regarded as he is right now in MLB.

wazu
06-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Boo...f*cking...hoo.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 02:39 PM
The owners are the real reason the Royals are in true peril, it's too bad a good baseball guy has to take the fall. I don't see Dayton Moore taking any shit from them though, as highly regarded as he is right now in MLB.I agree. It'll be his way, or he'll walk...

Extra Point
06-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Rep for Adam. Baird abused the roster. Ownership is about giving management enough rope.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Rep for Adam. Baird abused the roster. Ownership is about giving management enough rope.
I agree Baird wasn't the brightest either and probably deserved to lose his job, but who knows how well you can do when your ideas are shot down as well and you aren't given full authority to do the job you are hired for. I sure hope the Glass's stay out of Moore's way.

KCBOSS1
06-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Having done a lot of work in Northwest Arkansas and having friends that have been Wal-Mart vendors, it's no wonder how He does business having been a Wal-Mart upper executive. I'm telling you, they are a beast.

I'm looking forward to any kind of change with the Royals. Anything's got to be better. Maybe Glass will stay in NW AR, write some checks and go watch the game leaving the rest to Moore.

Kansas City used to be a really good baseball town. We used to travel there every year and catch a series when I was a kid...mid 80's. I caught a game while up there for a Chiefs game when they were in town the same weekend. It was sad. Going to see the Springfield AA Cardinals last year was much more eventful......SAD.

GLASS Become a baseball guy or go away. Bring some dignity back to KAUFMAN Stadium!!!!!

Mecca
06-03-2006, 06:08 PM
I can buy some of this article but all of the moronic trades Baird made are enough for him to take a public beating in my eyes.

HemiEd
06-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I heard one of the talking heads on ESPN radio today, say that Glass is the worst owner in Sports. I have been saying that for some time.

morphius
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
And they both abused the Royals fans.

Mecca
06-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I didn't know the Royals still had fans......

milkman
06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I didn't know the Royals still had fans......

Sure they do, but only enough to fit under an umbrella.

Mecca
06-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Sure they do, but only enough to fit under an umbrella.

ROFL

I think they could just hold a newspaper over their heads at this point.

Mosbonian
06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Having done a lot of work in Northwest Arkansas and having friends that have been Wal-Mart vendors, it's no wonder how He does business having been a Wal-Mart upper executive. I'm telling you, they are a beast.

Don't mean to hijack this thread...but how Wal-mart does business with it's vendors is not different than any of the other Top 10 retailers in the nation...

m:mad:dog

Moooo
06-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread...but how Wal-mart does business with it's vendors is not different than any of the other Top 10 retailers in the nation...

True. Except for before Wal-Mart they didn't. Their actions are more of a retalliation to stay in business.

Moooo

Mosbonian
06-03-2006, 07:50 PM
True. Except for before Wal-Mart they didn't. Their actions are more of a retalliation to stay in business.

Moooo

First part of the statement I would agree with....the second part of the statement I wouldn't. There is a certain other large retailer that makes Wal-Mart pale in comparison in how it treats it's vendors.

crossbow
06-03-2006, 09:08 PM
I heard one of the talking heads on ESPN radio today, say that Glass is the worst owner in Sports. I have been saying that for some time.

Bill Bidwell was realy bad for a long, long time. As crappy as Glass has been, he still has a ways to go before he can top Bidwell's lengthy track record.

Well, at least Bidwell tried. Glass just screwed everyone, the fans, other baseball owners, and the Royals' management team.

KCBOSS1
06-03-2006, 10:33 PM

I don't doubt that at all.....I'm just not as closely associated with them and can't speak directly. I used to be a huge Royals fan and would like to see someone care more about them than their being a write-off. But I might be wrong.

KCBOSS1
06-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Afterall, I gave them (W-mart) some money today, so I can't complain too much, right?

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Glass is an ass. A first class ass at that.

Yup. ROFL

Hammock Parties
06-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Glass!

An Ass!

A Grade-A Ass!!

Matt!

A fatass that can't run!

Dye!

A bitch, who left the team!

Damon!

A jerk who needs a gun!

Zach!

A pitcher throwing wild!

Dave!

A prospect failing child!

Brett!

A legend who don't care!

Tony!

A manager so fair!

Reggie!

A veteran so spare!

K!

A stadium with hair!

Shit!

This poem's getting gay!

That will bring us back to GLASS!

KcMizzou
06-04-2006, 03:09 AM
ROFL That's funny as hell GC.

HemiEd
06-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Bill Bidwell was realy bad for a long, long time. As crappy as Glass has been, he still has a ways to go before he can top Bidwell's lengthy track record.

Well, at least Bidwell tried. Glass just screwed everyone, the fans, other baseball owners, and the Royals' management team.

Glass has been making a profit with this pathetic product, that is the bottom line to him.

jspchief
06-04-2006, 06:19 AM

********That's not true.

SCTrojan
06-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Although much of the article may be true, I say screw Gammons. He can't be bothered most times to cover any team west of New York City, then he writes this stuff like he knows anything about KC other than what he gets second- or third-hand, or he even cares what happens here. He should go back to blowing the Red Sox.