PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus not confident that Moore can turn it around

FringeNC
06-04-2006, 10:39 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5150

Moore seems to be the flavor of the moment from the scouting-minded community, and while I'm sure there's a chance he might do well, I'm reminded of one former Braves' professional of unquestioned ability who went to a disastrously badly-run franchise with the expectation that he'd set things aright: the lamentable Dean Taylor, and his equally lamentable tenure in Milwaukee. Maybe it's because I'm currently wrapping up reading a history of Poland between the two World Wars, but in the same way that some outfits are so fundamentally rotten that they can't build a functioning state or craft a sensible constitution or cultivate competence in its services, those same issues can be found in a badly-run baseball team. Arguments about how self-interest demands improvement don't really matter: wrong-headed dopes, whether they're Marshal Rydz-Smigly or anybody among the Royals' board of directors (the Glass family and Herk Robinson) are going to help perpetuate something that fundamentally doesn't work, because they barely know any better.

Moore may well be a sensible guy, may well possess a canny eye for talent, and may well resurrect the Royals in five years. He might also get worn down by internecine arguments against an organizational culture of incompetence, and leave discredited and disgusted. Or he might end up crafting a farm system much like the Braves, long on drafted tools types who don't pan out, and if he isn't given top dollar to sign premium prospects at the top end of the draft or overseas, he may never achieve Atlanta's success with a few signature blue-chippers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not weeping for Allard Baird, and I'm happy to see the long-suffering people of Kansas City spared the potential indigntiy of a Randy Smith comeback (which was rumored if Moore had turned them down). But unless Moore's granted absolute authority over whatever family-bred slack-jawed Wal-Mart washouts might stand in his way, things aren't guaranteed to get any better. Change does not automatically connote progress.

And if this story from NY Newsday is true:

Moore already might be learning how bad Glass is. Word is Glass, despite getting $30 million in revenue handouts, is balking at Hochevar's asking price, making Stubbs more likely.

..then BP is probably right. If Glass is still determining how much to pay draft picks, the organization is doomed. I thought the deal would be Glass would give Moore a budget, and Moore could use it on draft picks or waste it on Joe Mays or whatever the hell he wanted to do with it.

It seems Moore has much less than total control if this story is to be believed. If Glass is doing what is suggested above, Moore would be a fool for taking the job. He should resign before he even officially takes over.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 10:49 AM
i just wanna say i feel sorry for you royal fans

Eleazar
06-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Word is Glass, despite getting $30 million in revenue handouts, is balking at Hochevar's asking price, making Stubbs more likely.

I think that was going on before Moore was here. The Moore hiring could have affected the situation. Besides, he isn't supposed to be involved in the team until after the draft anyways. Moore wouldn't be involved in the pick, the final say would fall between Glass et al, and Muzzy Jackson.

Bowser
06-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I think that was going on before Moore was here. The Moore hiring could have affected the situation. Besides, he isn't supposed to be involved in the team until after the draft anyways. Moore wouldn't be involved in the pick, the final say would fall between Glass et al, and Muzzy Jackson.

Which gives me every reason to believe that we are going to screw this draft up, yet again.

FringeNC
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Ahhh, come on, you really believe Moore isn't calling the shots for the draft? Who knows if this rumor is true, but if it is, there is no way to white wash it.

Bowser
06-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Ahhh, come on, you really believe Moore isn't calling the shots for the draft? Who knows if this rumor is true, but if it is, there is no way to white wash it.

You'd think that would be the case. And with the top overall, isn't the Miller kid pretty much a slam dunk pick?

Sure-Oz
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I think all hell would break loose in this city if Glass ****s with Moore, i don't think they can say anything until Moore is given a chance to even get set in his new pos. People around baseball will probably watching this situation to see how Glass deals with Moore etc. I guarantee Moore likely won't put up with BS. IF for some strange reason things fall through, I bet Moore still will have GM opp's elsewhere and the Royals situation wouldn't effect that. I think if Glass ****s this up I don't know if I could watch this team....ugh i hate sayin that!

banyon
06-04-2006, 11:10 AM

I really hope that this is the right explanation. It gives us at least a glimmer of hope. :huh:

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
you know where the royals organization fudged things up? passing on phat albert...WHAT WERE THEY ON? the local product and they pass

FringeNC
06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
You'd think that would be the case. And with the top overall, isn't the Miller kid pretty much a slam dunk pick?

Nah...most have him rated #1, but not everyone. There are a couple other pitchers up there with him, including the kid that is re-entering the draft after not signing with the Dodgers.

However, that's the first I've heard that the Royals may be contemplating Stubbs because he'd be cheaper.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Turn it around....not this year.....Glass will have to spend money. Period.

Can't compete with AA-AAA players.

FringeNC
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I think all hell would break loose in this city if Glass ****s with Moore, i don't think they can say anything until Moore is given a chance to even get set in his new pos. People around baseball will probably watching this situation to see how Glass deals with Moore etc. I guarantee Moore likely won't put up with BS. IF for some strange reason things fall through, I bet Moore still will have GM opp's elsewhere and the Royals situation wouldn't effect that. I think if Glass ****s this up I don't know if I could watch this team....ugh i hate sayin that!

I agree with that sentiment. If this rumor is true (about Glass interfering in the draft), then it's obvious that Glass just doesn't get it, and it might force MLB to do what they did in Cinci with Schott.

Demonpenz
06-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Glass family will be cemented in history as being retards.

Mr. Kotter
06-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Glass family will be cemented in history as being retards.

Is their NO ONE in KC they can sell the team to?

Can't someone like George Brett pull together a group, and buy the damn francise from the Glasses? :cuss:

Bowser
06-04-2006, 11:32 AM

Can't someone like George Brett pull together a group, and buy the damn francise from the Glasses? :cuss:

The Glasses won't sell the team. It's way too good of a tax write-off, if nothing else.

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM

Western Resources, Inc out of Topeka was going in for around 49% I think when Lamar Hunt bid for the team. That is what I think Glass needs more than anything is other partners so he doesnt have to cover all the costs himself. If he foots a 50 million payroll now, bring in so more partners to boost it up a 20 to 30 million more.

Mr. Kotter
06-04-2006, 12:13 PM
The Glasses won't sell the team. It's way too good of a tax write-off, if nothing else.
That's a friggin' shame. :shake:

A consistently competitive, if not storied, franchise that was a tremendous assett to the community has become a tax write-off for greedy bastards. How friggin' pathetic. You'd think that MLB could intervene if that is truly the case.....

Watchin' the decline of the Royals has probably been the single biggest reason I've stopped following MLB.....:cuss:

Western Resources, Inc out of Topeka was going in for around 49% I think when Lamar Hunt bid for the team. That is what I think Glass needs more than anything is other partners so he doesnt have to cover all the costs himself. If he foots a 50 million payroll now, bring in so more partners to boost it up a 20 to 30 million more.

That would be a start....

KevB
06-04-2006, 12:20 PM
The NY News Day article is a joke. The reason they're considering Hochevar is because he's cheaper than Miller. He may very well be as good or better prospect, so that wouldn't bother me all that much. Stubbs isn't even in the picture, and to say otherwise tells me how ridiculous the "rumor" is. It's down to Miller, Lincoln and Hochevar.

Valiant
06-04-2006, 12:58 PM
you know where the royals organization fudged things up? passing on phat albert...WHAT WERE THEY ON? the local product and they pass

That is the most ignorant statement you can make... Nobody knew that Pujols would be that good, hell he wasnt even the best player and Maple Woods... Who could possibly know that a 24-26 year old rookie would turn into the best player in baseball...

Valiant
06-04-2006, 01:01 PM

If the royals spent 50million a year glass would still make a profit... He gets over 35million a year just from the top teams, that is not counting parking, food/beer, RSTN, what jerseys they do sell, and advertising from all those disgusting ads on the walls at the K...

The Royals have made a profit the last 4 years not counting this one...

Shootr
06-04-2006, 01:02 PM

:rolleyes: Every other team passed on him for 13 ROUNDS. Give me a break, it's not like the Cardinals picked him one pick after the Royals in the 1st.

chief2000
06-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Dissappointed that this didn't happen sooner.

I want to know who Moore would have picked.

I am guessing he likes the guys that throw heat.

Right or wrong ? That would be the 6'0" Lincoln.