PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green and the Chiefs' passing yardage record.

Rain Man
06-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Trent could conceivably pass up Len Dawson in another couple of years, but at his current rate he'll do it in the first game of the third season from now. It shows how much the game has changed that Dawson got his yards in 14 years, compared to 5 so far for Green.

At his current rate, he'll need six more years to break Len's TD pass record, though. Methinks that Priest may have had something to do with that.

Passing Yards

Len Dawson - 28,507
Trent Green - 20,117
Bill Kenney - 17,277
Steve DeBerg - 11,873
Mike Livingson - 11,295
Elvis Grbac - 10,642

Career Touchdown Passes

Len Dawson - 237
Trent Green - 111
Bill Kenney - 105
Steve DeBerg - 67
Elvis Grbac - 66
Mike Livingston - 56

Mile High Mania
06-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Green was born in 1970... so, will he be around in 3 years at the age of 39?

morphius
06-04-2006, 03:56 PM
It'll come down to injuries most likely.

chop
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Chances are he probably will not be unless it's some type of backup role. We'll most likely be in the Brodie Croyle era by that time but you never know.

Valiant
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I would love for Trent to still have the ability to be a star 3 years from now... But he will get pushed out in the next year or two...

MHM you have to remember Green has not been starting the entire time he has been playing and only hurt once.. HIs body has not had the wear and tear.... But honestly I only see him with the Chiefs for this year and maybe next year...

Maybe sooner depending on his contract situation...

Moooo
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Chances are he probably will not be unless it's some type of backup role. We'll most likely be in the Brodie Croyle era by that time but you never know.

I'm callin it, Green WILL get 30,000 as a Chief.

Moooo

sedated
06-04-2006, 05:23 PM
He won't get it, but that's only because of Herm "MartyBall 2000" Edwards.

If Dick was still here, he'd get the record no doubt.

(but we'd still have only 1 playoff loss to show for it)

Moooo
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
He won't get it, but that's only because of Herm "MartyBall 2000" Edwards.

If Dick was still here, he'd get the record no doubt.

(but we'd still have only 1 playoff loss to show for it)

I say 3 more starting years at an average of 3,300 yards each. That's not that unfeasable, is it?

Moooo

wazu
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I say 3 more starting years at an average of 3,300 yards each. That's not that unfeasable, is it?

Moooo

It's feasible, but I don't think it's probable, and not because of Herm. Even with Herm Green could easily break 3300+ per year. The problem is I think Green is in decline. For the first time last year it seemed like a lot of his passes were sailing off-target. I like Green, so I hope I'm wrong. I also hope he can maintain his streak of starts. How many QBs play from ages 36-39 without missing some time? We'll see.

cdcox
06-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I don't think Trent will quite break Lenny's passing record. I think the combo of Herm and time (hopefully not injury) will cause him to end just short.

FAX
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
There's a part of me that would like Trent to break Dawson's record. And another part that wouldn't.

I think there's probably a 50/50 chance that he will. Mainly for the reasons Mr. cdcox stated.

What I would like to see (and is remotely possible) is for LJ to get 2000 yards this year. That would be something we would remember forever. You can't have enough 2000 yard memories.

FAX

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
There's a part of me that would like Trent to break Dawson's record. And another part that wouldn't.

FAX

id like to see him break the record as well but part of me wants to start developing brodie but not this year at least...one more go round for this offense i just hope these boys have it in their tanks

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I read an interesting article a couple of years ago on ESPN.com that claimed the magic number for QB decline was 38. They were talking about Rich Gannon and a couple of other guys that they said were going to in essence suck balls because they were turning 38 that year. They then gave a nice sized list of qbs whose careers turned south after that age. I remember it was the beginning of the end for Gannon, and the others listed, however I don't remember who they were now. I tried to google this article but had no luck finding it. Point is, that article made a believer out of me. I don't think Trent will get the record.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I read an interesting article a couple of years ago on ESPN.com that claimed the magic number for QB decline was 38. They were talking about Rich Gannon and a couple of other guys that they said were going to in essence suck balls because they were turning 38 that year. They then gave a nice sized list of qbs whose careers turned south after that age. I remember it was the beginning of the end for Gannon, and the others listed, however I don't remember who they were now. I tried to google this article but had no luck finding it. Point is, that article made a believer out of me. I don't think Trent will get the record.

brad johnson will be 38 at the start of the season...lets see how well he does

chubychecker
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
It's feasible, but I don't think it's probable, and not because of Herm. Even with Herm Green could easily break 3300+ per year. The problem is I think Green is in decline. For the first time last year it seemed like a lot of his passes were sailing off-target. I like Green, so I hope I'm wrong. I also hope he can maintain his streak of starts. How many QBs play from ages 36-39 without missing some time? We'll see.

Watch what you say around here. There are a few vets on the board who truly believe that Trent is the messiah and will play forever. I totally agree with you though. Especially considering the changes we will have on our oline in the next few years. Trent has been given an advantage that few quarterbacks in history have had....playing behind the best oline of their time.

milkman
06-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Watch what you say around here. There are a few vets on the board who truly believe that Trent is the messiah and will play forever. I totally agree with you though. Especially considering the changes we will have on our oline in the next few years. Trent has been given an advantage that few quarterbacks in history have had....playing behind the best oline of their time.

I don't believe anyone thinks Green has more than 3 years left.

Some think, because he didn't get a chance until later in his career, that he can make a go for at least 3.

I'm inclined to think that 2 is the magic number.

Eleazar
06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Since I'm not old enough to have seen Dawson play - you older fellows - how does he compare?

Makes you wish Green would have started his career here, he didn't get a shot to start until his 5th year as a pro, even got cut by a CFL team prior to that. He'd definitely have all the passing records.

milkman
06-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Since I'm not old enough to have seen Dawson play - you older fellows - how does he compare?

Makes you wish Green would have started his career here, he didn't get a shot to start until his 5th year as a pro, even got cut by a CFL team prior to that. He'd definitely have all the passing records.

I think they were very similiar.

Both had/have a reputation for being accurate, though one could question Green's

Niether had/have exceptionally strong arms.

Lenny was in an offense that featured the short passing game, where Green's offense gets the ball downfield more.

Lenny was cool and composed, Green is tough.

plbrdude
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM

I think there's probably a 50/50 chance that he will. Mainly for the reasons Mr. cdcox stated.

What I would like to see (and is remotely possible) is for LJ to get 2000 yards this year. That would be something we would remember forever. You can't have enough 2000 yard memories.

FAX

i agree w/you mr. fax man on trent. he's in my book about the most under-rated qb in the league.

now if lj reaches 2000 yards for the season and we miss the playoffs or exit the first round, i won't know what to think. ever the optimist, if we maintain near the offensive production and the defense shows fair improvement. how can we not at least be in the afc title game?

listopencil
06-04-2006, 09:43 PM
i agree w/you mr. fax man on trent. he's in my book about the most under-rated qb in the league.

now if lj reaches 2000 yards for the season and we miss the playoffs or exit the first round, i won't know what to think. ever the optimist, if we maintain near the offensive production and the defense shows fair improvement. how can we not at least be in the afc title game?

I don't recall exactly how far the various teams have gotten in the playoffs with 2000 yard backs but IIRC my Broncos are the only ones to win a SuperBowl with one. Terrell Davis was really beat up by the time the playoffs rolled around that year as he had to get something like 150+ yards in the last game of the season (Seattle?) and played through an injury in that SuperBowl, against the Falcons.

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't recall exactly how far the various teams have gotten in the playoffs with 2000 yard backs but IIRC my Broncos are the only ones to win a SuperBowl with one. Terrell Davis was really beat up by the time the playoffs rolled around that year as he had to get something like 150+ yards in the last game of the season (Seattle?) and played through an injury in that SuperBowl, against the Falcons.

Without looking it up, I would hazard that:

O.J. Simpson's Bills certainly didn't make the Super Bowl, but I bet they made the playoffs.

Eric Dickerson's Rams...I don't think they made the Super Bowl during the Dickerson era, but probably went deep in the playoffs a time or two. Maybe one of those was his 2,105 yard season.

Barry Sanders' Lions...doubt it. Maybe they made the playoffs.

Terrell Davis' Broncos. Super Bowl, but it was only against the Falcons or someone. (Gotta get a dig in there.)

Jamal Lewis' Ravens probably made an early playoff exit.

Someone else might want to do the detailed research, but at first glance it would appear that a 2,000 yard rusher isn't necessarily indicative of a dominant team. Surprising; I'd never thought about it.
Is that all of them?

jlscorpio
06-05-2006, 09:44 AM
No way Croyle sits for 3 years. Defiantely 1, possibly 2.

StcChief
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Passing Yards

Len Dawson - 28,507
Trent Green - 20,117

Green can do it two more 4K+ yrd years. Part of a third as the backup to Croyle.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
There have been five RBs to surpass 2,000 yards rushing in a season.

Dickerson (1984) 2,105
10-6, lost wildcard
Lewis (2003) 2,066
10-6, lost wildcard
Sanders (1997) 2,053
9-7, lost wildcard
Davis (1998) 2,008
14-2, SB Champs
Simpson (1973) 2,003
9-5, no postseason

So, OJ's Bills were the only team with a 2k RB to miss the playoffs. All the rest (aside from Denver) lost in the wildcard round.