PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie

redbrian
06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Currently at 2 under, good, bad or ugly for golf.

I think it's great, she is competing in an open event and holding her own, playing off of the same tee's as the men.

JBucc
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Who cares

Megbert
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
She should be at the mall talking/texting on her 'celly' to her BFF.

Miles
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Now at 1 over after 34, which puts her in 58th. Not looking good.

BWillie
06-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I think it's great what she's trying to do. I don't think it should be OK when she gets sponsers exemptions, because those go to guys who are trying to get on tour that are tryin' to eat and make a name for themselves as pros. I have no problem with her trying to qualify on her own, in fact more power to her.

Fish
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
She's good for golf.....

and by good for golf I mean I'd like to stroke her divot....

jAZ
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't think it should be OK when she gets sponsers exemptions, because those go to guys who are trying to get on tour that are tryin' to eat and make a name for themselves as pros.
Actually they go to the sponsors who pay to make the event possible.

KcMizzou
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I think it's great what she's trying to do. I don't think it should be OK when she gets sponsers exemptions, because those go to guys who are trying to get on tour that are tryin' to eat and make a name for themselves as pros. I have no problem with her trying to qualify on her own, in fact more power to her.That's my feeling on it. If she can make the cut on her own, great. Go for it.

Fish
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper824/stills/ex1r7wia.jpg

keep doubtin........

BWillie
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Actually they go to the sponsors who pay to make the event possible.

I don't understand what your getting at? I know the sponsers of the event are free to pick whoever they choose, hell they could pick me, doesn't mean they should.

Bootlegged
06-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Wie missed the cut.

Miles
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2471057

SUMMIT, N.J. -- Michelle Wie put on a show Monday that those lucky enough to see won't soon forget.

Michelle Wie was hitting well off the tee in her first qualifying round -- but her putting was costing her.

Trying to become the first woman to qualify for the U.S. Open, the 16-year-old from Hawaii sent an overflow gallery into a frenzy by chipping in for birdie on her last hole for a 2-under 68. That matched her best score competing against men and left some 3,500 people wondering if they would see her at Winged Foot in two weeks along with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

But the birdie putts she missed throughout the day began to catch up with her as shadows stretched across the fairways of Canoe Brook Country Club late in the afternoon. Consecutive bogeys on her back nine dropped her back to even par, and Wie needed to do something spectacular even by her standards to make history and earn one of 18 spots in the open up for grabs at this sectional qualifying tournament.

Even so, the atmosphere was electric.

Interest was so high that Canoe Brook Country Club had to close its gates shortly before lunch, fearful they could not accommodate so many people watching one player. The USGA credentialed nearly 300 media.

Wie made a slippery 5-foot par on her ninth hole of the second round on the tougher North course. That kept her at 2 under par for the 36-hole qualifier, and as she strode confidently toward her back nine, she glanced over at large scoreboard. It didn't tell her anything, but Wie knew what she had to do.

Scores were only available after each nine holes, but it appeared she needed to reach at least 3 under par.

Brett Quigley finished his two rounds at 11-under 131 and easily qualified.

"Somebody asked me if I was worried she was going to beat me," he said. "I said, 'I don't care if she beats me as long as I get in."'

Wie has played eight tournaments against the men, making the cut for the first time last month at the SK Telecom Open in South Korea on the Asian Tour. This required a little more.

Wie was among 153 players trying to qualify for the U.S.Open at Canoe Crook, including about four dozen PGA Tour players, two of them major champions. A sudden-death playoff would follow to determine the 18 qualifiers.

The fans lined every fairway from tee to green. When Wie was putting for birdie, which was often, the fans stood in the fairway to form a full circle on the green, although they often were disappointed.

Wie missed six birdie putts inside 12 feet in her morning round on the shorter, easier South course, a 4-footer on the fourth hole. At one point she became so frustrated that she puffed her cheeks and let out a sigh, staring at the hole with her arms crossed.

"The greens are difficult for her. So many subtle breaks," her father, B.J. Wie, said as he followed her.

But she kept bogeys off her card, the first time she has ever done that against the men. And her outlook changed dramatically on her final hole of the morning round. After a drive into the right rough that came within 15 feet of going into the water, she hit her approach to the grassy knoll atop a bunker.

Her chip was strong and smacked into the pin before dropping for an unlikely birdie. Wie raised her arms in surprise, and the cheers were so loud they drowned out her parents. Wie sat at the scoring table off the 18th green, surrounded by a dozen cameras who watched her go through the simple task of checking her scores and signing her card.

Wiemania, indeed, reached another level.

She asked for relief from casual water on the par-4 15th in the morning round, but stated her case by pressing her feet around the ball. USGA official Jim Litrack denied relief.

"I have no doubt there's water under her ball, but she wasn't taking her stance," Litrack said.

One fan said to the official, "I bet if it was Arnie you'd give him the drop." But it didn't matter, as Wie piped a 5-wood from 217 yards to the middle of the green and got her par. After she hit the 5-wood, three grown men circled her divot and gawked as if they had discovered gold.

Sectional qualifiers typically draw a few hundred people, most of those family or friends. The crowd tagging along after Wie was about the same size as the one watching Mickelson play in the Memorial on Sunday.

And it caused a few problems, as expected.

As she made her way to the 10th tee on the North course to start her second round, hundreds of people followed behind her and caused players on the 12th green to back off their shots, one caddie raising his arms in disgust.

Quigley was on an adjacent hole when Wie made birdie on the 17th in the afternoon.

"I was getting ready to tee off and I heard people going wild through the woods," Quigley said. "I figured she'd made a birdie. It was great to see people so energized."

But this wasn't a typical U.S. Open qualifier.

Wie has been charting her own path since she qualified for an LPGA Tour event at age 12. She became the youngest winner of a USGA championship for grown-ups in 2003 when at 13 she won the U.S. Amateur Public Links. And in the two LPGA Tour events she has played this year between time off from her junior year at Punahou School in Honolulu, she has finished one shot out of a playoff.

She couldn't afford any mistakes in her second round, and one came quickly on her opening hole when she found a fairway bunker, had to lay up short of the green and missed a 15-foot par putt.

She had more chances for birdie, but the biggest putts were for par -- a 7-footer on the 12th and a 12-footer on the 16th. Hopes were raised anew when she pounded a drive down the middle of the 17th fairway, so far that former U.S. Amateur champion David Gossett reached the first ball in the fairway, bent over to look at it to see if it belonged to Wie, then waved at her to keep walking.

Wie hit her approach into 8 feet and finally got a birdie to drop.

No matter how the day ended, Wie was headed to the LPGA Championship after her round for another crack at a major, this time against the women.

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
If she earns it, fine. If not, not fine.

But JBucc said it best in Post #2.

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I think it's great, there's no reason someone shouldn't be able to make it if they earn it.

That being said, guys who can't make the PGA should be allowed to play in the LPGA.

alnorth
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
That being said, guys who can't make the PGA should be allowed to play in the LPGA.

Thats absolutely rediculous. Its not a men's-only tour, its open to all comers, be they men, women, infants, or space aliens.

A crippled retard would be allowed to try out for the olympic team. There's very little chance of making it, but if they did, fine. Does that mean you believe that the 4th-best olympic sprinter should be able to compete in the special olympics? Your idea is about as dumb as this.

Fish
06-05-2006, 06:14 PM
......still overlooking the fact that she has a really nice hiney.......

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-05-2006, 06:14 PM
***obligatory*** "I'd hit it"

Skip Towne
06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I hope she does well. She's pretty hot too.

beavis
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
***obligatory*** "I'd hit it"
Enjoy your 5 to 10.

tk13
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Enjoy your 5 to 10.
He just wants JennyGump to come post a sex offender sign in his yard.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-05-2006, 07:58 PM
She's probably good for golf, but she's not good enough to play on tour...yet (probably ever) She doesn't hit her irons nearly long enough, and can't spin the ball like top pros can, which puts her at a serious disadvantage on tight courses. Her putting is also mediocre at best and like many of her critics have said, by trying to make cuts she's not learning how to win. If she wants to bounce around playing Men's mini-tours then I guess that's fine, but she'll never be an elite women's golfer if she doesn't learn how to win. She needs to be crushing her peers more than meddling with people out of her league at this point.

tk13
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
She's probably good for golf, but she's not good enough to play on tour...yet (probably ever) She doesn't hit her irons nearly long enough, and can't spin the ball like top pros can, which puts her at a serious disadvantage on tight courses. Her putting is also mediocre at best and like many of her critics have said, by trying to make cuts she's not learning how to win. If she wants to bounce around playing Men's mini-tours then I guess that's fine, but she'll never be an elite women's golfer if she doesn't learn how to win. She needs to be crushing her peers more than meddling with people out of her league at this point.
There's probably some merit to that. Kinda like a minor league ballplayer moving through the ranks. Annika didn't take on the men until she'd pretty much owned the women's tour. It would be interesting to see how Wie would do on a US Open course, usually about as brutal as it gets. I haven't seen her play too much but from what I've seen and read her putting is definitely erratic.

BWillie
06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Enjoy your 5 to 10.

Actually depending on the state you live in, 16 is the age of consent. For example, I grew up in Iowa and went to college in Iowa. When I was 21 I was dating a 17 year old who was about 18. She was the daughter of the police chief so I had to do some homework to see if I'd get jailed. Turns out in Iowa, as long as you are 39 or younger, you can legally bang a 16 year old. Not sure what it is in Missouri or Kansas though? Theres some useful information for you pedofile 40 year olds out there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
There's probably some merit to that. Kinda like a minor league ballplayer moving through the ranks. Annika didn't take on the men until she'd pretty much owned the women's tour. It would be interesting to see how Wie would do on a US Open course, usually about as brutal as it gets. I haven't seen her play too much but from what I've seen and read her putting is definitely erratic.

She'd be lucky to break 80. That rough would eat her alive.

tk13
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
She'd be lucky to break 80. That rough would eat her alive.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. The one thing Annika did is hit fairways like no tomorrow, so maybe she'd hold her own.... but if a woman got stuck in US Open caliber rough a lot, it would be a pretty nasty round I imagine. Just can't hack it out of there from 150-plus yards like you're Tiger.

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Thats absolutely rediculous. Its not a men's-only tour, its open to all comers, be they men, women, infants, or space aliens.

A crippled retard would be allowed to try out for the olympic team. There's very little chance of making it, but if they did, fine. Does that mean you believe that the 4th-best olympic sprinter should be able to compete in the special olympics? Your idea is about as dumb as this.

Right now there are only men playing on the tour. I don't have a problem with women playing on the tour. However, if women do play on the tour I think they should forfeit a women's ONLY tour.

I don't think it's ridiculous.

JBucc
06-05-2006, 08:42 PM

A crippled retard would be allowed to try out for the olympic team. There's very little chance of making it, but if they did, fine. Does that mean you believe that the 4th-best olympic sprinter should be able to compete in the special olympics? Your idea is about as dumb as this.So you're saying women are retards? I agree completely.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I HATE the fact she is trying for the US Open...

I don't care if she's a guy or girl, she's a teenager and her short game (in comparison to professionals) sucks. She needs to stay at home in Hawaii, go to all of those great golf courses, work on those chips and putts (consistency mostly) until she's about 21 or so, and then come out and show the whole world what women are capable of (which I think is a lot).

Moooo

Stinger
06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
If she gets a sponsor exemption or she qualifies for the US open fine that is why they call it an open. But she might want to try to win something on the LPGA first, before she tries to make a mens open. I mean because last time I looked she just turned pro and besides her large endorsement deal she hasn't really sniffed the victory stand or prize money

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. The one thing Annika did is hit fairways like no tomorrow, so maybe she'd hold her own.... but if a woman got stuck in US Open caliber rough a lot, it would be a pretty nasty round I imagine. Just can't hack it out of there from 150-plus yards like you're Tiger.

Yup. They both lack the 'stremf' to gouge it out of that rough.

Annika would get massacred at a U.S. Open course also. If we assume that she's as long as Fred Funk (which she is), she still doesn't hit the ball as straight as he does. She'd have a hard time reaching some par 4's in two, and the speed of the greens that she putts on is not near the slickness that she would see at an open. She'd probably put up a couple of 82s. Wie could break 80, but could also shoot over 85. It would be ugly.

Miles
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I HATE the fact she is trying for the US Open...

I don't care if she's a guy or girl, she's a teenager and her short game (in comparison to professionals) sucks. She needs to stay at home in Hawaii, go to all of those great golf courses, work on those chips and putts (consistency mostly) until she's about 21 or so, and then come out and show the whole world what women are capable of (which I think is a lot).

Moooo

I don't see why trying to play a high level of competative golf while working on her game is a problem. What the hell do you think she is working on in between these tournaments that would be any different than if she were to just practice locally?

Miles
06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
If she gets a sponsor exemption or she qualifies for the US open fine that is why they call it an open. But she might want to try to win something on the LPGA first, before she tries to make a mens open. I mean because last time I looked she just turned pro and besides her large endorsement deal she hasn't really sniffed the victory stand or prize money

Yep I think just winning regular weekend tournament on the LPGA would mean a lot for her progress. She seems to be falling into the habit of playing well on Thursday and Friday but trailing off on the weekend. Makes it seem like she was close to competing with the men or winning an LPGA event but she hasn't managed to close yet.

philfree
06-05-2006, 10:58 PM

I couldn't agree more. The thing is she is being put into to many situations where she is most likely to fail and before to much longer that's gonna take it's toll on her psyche. She needs to win soon on the womens tour or she's toast.

PhilFree:arrow:

Moooo
06-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't see why trying to play a high level of competative golf while working on her game is a problem. What the hell do you think she is working on in between these tournaments that would be any different than if she were to just practice locally?

Yes, in a game where psychology is so crucial, I don't like it a bit. If she keeps getting owned, even if she stays competitive conciously, she might start to get some ingrained feelings of inadequacy or something.

She needs to work on her chipping and putting on a NON national scale. She's not ready for the pressure, even if she's ready for the pressure.

I my be a little biased, but as a psych major, I see the route she's taking as not good. Some may say she'll elevate her play by being around these guys. But that's only if she does it week in and week out.

Moooo

Miles
06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Yup. They both lack the 'stremf' to gouge it out of that rough.

Annika would get massacred at a U.S. Open course also. If we assume that she's as long as Fred Funk (which she is), she still doesn't hit the ball as straight as he does. She'd have a hard time reaching some par 4's in two, and the speed of the greens that she putts on is not near the slickness that she would see at an open. She'd probably put up a couple of 82s. Wie could break 80, but could also shoot over 85. It would be ugly.

The greens and the rough around the greens that would be killer for Wie at an open course. She probably has the swing speed and strenght to get it out of the rough at least the same as an average PGA pro. I think she her swing speed for irons is up to around 110mph now.

She has the power and iron lenght to compete with PGA players. However her short game, finess, and accuracy need to improve a good amount before she can.

Miles
06-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes, in a game where psychology is so crucial, I don't like it a bit. If she keeps getting owned, even if she stays competitive conciously, she might start to get some ingrained feelings of inadequacy or something.

She needs to work on her chipping and putting on a NON national scale. She's not ready for the pressure, even if she's ready for the pressure.

I my be a little biased, but as a psych major, I see the route she's taking as not good. Some may say she'll elevate her play by being around these guys. But that's only if she does it week in and week out.

Moooo

She is still at the point where she is not really expected to win much due to her age. Even some days when she is in contention for LPGA tournaments would seem to do much more for her than playing in some local amature event. Being in contention to win the LPGA US open are a pretty big deal even if she doesnt manage to win.

Also playing golf with players that are better than you is defintly a better way to improve that crusing far lower competition.

Rausch
06-05-2006, 11:20 PM

Moooo
06-06-2006, 02:09 AM
She is still at the point where she is not really expected to win much due to her age. Even some days when she is in contention for LPGA tournaments would seem to do much more for her than playing in some local amature event. Being in contention to win the LPGA US open are a pretty big deal even if she doesnt manage to win.

Also playing golf with players that are better than you is defintly a better way to improve that crusing far lower competition.

I agree, but if that level is too high it can backfire, that was all my point was. Athletes are very finicky, I would hate to see her develp the yips or something dumb, just because she pressured herself into doing better than she was capable of.

Moooo

Miles
06-06-2006, 02:17 AM
I agree, but if that level is too high it can backfire, that was all my point was. Athletes are very finicky, I would hate to see her develp the yips or something dumb, just because she pressured herself into doing better than she was capable of.

Moooo

I think she is just having fun trying to compete at the higer levels and its not a bad way to get some eairly experience. Probably has another 3-4 years at least before there will be any real pressure on her to start winning some tournaments.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 02:23 AM
I think she is just having fun trying to compete at the higer levels and its not a bad way to get some eairly experience. Probably has another 3-4 years at least before there will be any real pressure on her to start winning some tournaments.

For her sake, and for golf, I hope you're right. I think its obvious, but I wish she would have taken the Tiger route and stayed Amateur as long as possible. The human mind has shown time and time again it is not ready for big pressure and stuff of that sort until at least the age of 21 or so, maybe by easing into it this won't happen.

Moooo

Rausch
06-06-2006, 03:11 AM
For her sake, and for golf, I hope you're right. I think its obvious, but I wish she would have taken the Tiger route and stayed Amateur as long as possible. The human mind has shown time and time again it is not ready for big pressure and stuff of that sort until at least the age of 21 or so, maybe by easing into it this won't happen.

Moooo

I'd hit it...

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Playing a TEAM sport with players of higher caliber will improve your game, but in a sport like Golf, one has to learn how to win and build the mental toughness it takes to win a tournament.

Even Tiger Woods played in the 'smaller' leagues and went to college and played there. Could Tiger have qualified for a US Open at 16? Probably, did he? No, he wasnt ready.

To me, this is little more than Wie and her parents getting at the endorsement dollars while the iron is hot.

Predarat
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Ill hit it when shes 18.

jAZ
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't understand what your getting at? I know the sponsers of the event are free to pick whoever they choose, hell they could pick me, doesn't mean they should.
If they think that by picking you, it will bring TV ratings and increase the the value of their sponsorship investment... they should.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Currently at 2 under, good, bad or ugly for golf.

I think it's great, she is competing in an open event and holding her own, playing off of the same tee's as the men.

i think it sucks

woman can take a shot at taking a man's job and if it doesn't work out they can run back to the LPGA.

if a man doesn't make it in the PGA ... he's done

it's not equality ... it's preferential treatment to women.

the same BS conditions that Title IX has ended up having

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
If a 16 year old girl can play golf that well, I need to find a new game.

Clint in Wichita
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I think a woman on the PGA tour is fine, as long as men are allowed in the LPGA.

Otherwise, the broad should be forced to have a cadaver's penis attached to her abdomen (forehead?) to play in the PGA.

jAZ
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I think a woman on the PGA tour is fine, as long as men are allowed in the LPGA.

Otherwise, the broad should be forced to have a cadaver's penis attached to her abdomen (forehead?) to play in the PGA.
My guess is that the LPGA isn't ladies-only because of "fairness" issues... but more for marketing reasons. If the level of golf is lower, you need a gimick. In the minor league baseball it's bobble head dolls and teams in small towns.

With the LPGA its an effort to market to a niche (women). If that gender identity is removed from the LPGA, it's not going to make as much money as it would otherwise (see Nike Tour).

jAZ
06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
My guess is that the LPGA isn't ladies-only because of "fairness" issues... but more for marketing reasons. If the level of golf is lower, you need a gimick. In the minor league baseball it's bobble head dolls and teams in small towns.

With the LPGA its an effort to market to a niche (women). If that gender identity is removed from the LPGA, it's not going to make as much money as it would otherwise (see Nike Tour).
As I've suggested before, I think the best way to do this whole thing is

1) Keep the Nike Tour all male (for marketing reasons)
2) Keep the LPGA Tour all female (for marketing reasons)
3) Make the PGA Tour a merit-based tour regardless of gender (for marketing reasons)

Iny all 3 leagues whatever sponsors want, they get. Including exemptions to the gender identity rule if they so choose.

MahiMike
06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
If I was a pro on tour, I'd be pissed. You don't see the guys playing on the ladies tour so why the double-standard? Besides, she hasn't even won on the LPGA yet.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 11:24 AM

3) Make the PGA Tour a merit-based tour regardless of gender (for marketing reasons)

Iny all 3 leagues whatever sponsors want, they get. Including
exemptions to the gender identity rule if they so choose.

i'm all for anything that actually brings equality .... but i don't know that there is room for 3 leagues.

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM

This makes no sense...putting a man on the LPGA would IN FACT be a gimmick that would generate more money and attention to that tour. The reason it's not happening is because we all know what would happen...the man would dominate the events. The Nike Tour (it's not the Nike Tour, it's changed names about 4 times) doesnt make as much money as the PGA tour because the quality of play is lower and I'd bet that the 'Junior' mens tour has more prize money available than even the LPGA.

Miles
06-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Maybe younger players should be allowed on the Champions Tour since players from that tour can play in PGA tour events.

Stinger
06-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Iny all 3 leagues whatever sponsors want, they get. Including exemptions to the gender identity rule if they so choose.

Not to nit pick but it hasn't been the NIKE Tour for a few years now. Now called the Nationwide Tour.And actually there are over 15 tours in the US alone. PGA and LPGA are the Majors followed by the AAA Nationwide then AA probably the Hooters Tour. After that you have regional tours mainly in the South east and south west i.e. Carolina tour etc....

My stance is this if it is the US Open which she tried to qualify for, that is what it is Open for anyone a 16 year old girl, a 87 year old man, or whatever. If you have a 1.5 handicap or lower and some money for an entry fee go for it.

Now Sponsor of a tournment pay millions of dollars to host a tournament and if they want to use Wie or Sorenstam they paid the money and money talks so they have that right.

Now the PGA tour is what it is a Professional Tour where you must qualify to participate. Some may view this as hypacritical but I don't believe that a women should be allowed to be a member of this tour (meaning being able to qualify for the full tour). The women have their own tour in the LPGA.