PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Weekly has the Chiefs finishing 3rd...

greg63
06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
in the AFC behind the Donks and the Chargers with a season record of 10-6, again.

How do you, my fellow Planeteers, speculate on our finishing order?

Mecca
06-05-2006, 10:18 PM
2nd is the safe prediction seeing as this will be Rivers first year starting for the Chargers.....

Picking the Chiefs to finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs 2 years in a row is flat out cold when only 2 teams have ever done that in this playoff format.

BWillie
06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Why do people think the Chargers are always so good? I mean, they go from being a horrible team for a decade. They have one decent year, then go 9-7 and people think they are god. They'll have a freakin' rookie(basically) QB, and I don't care waht anybody says Ladanian is not consistent, he'll pull out 7 yard games on u sometimes.

People last year said San Deigo was the best team to miss the playoffs. Excuse me?? Weren't we 10-6..San Diego can't even protect home turf. They went like 4-4 last year at home. What a bunch of hacks

wazu
06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Sounds realistic. There's no "non-homer" reason to expect better at this point. (Not that I won't be hoping.)

tk13
06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I'd bet against that. There's no way we win 10 games and finish 3rd. Especially considering it was rare enough that we won 10 and missed the playoffs last year. There'd be no parity at all for that to happen.

greg63
06-05-2006, 10:22 PM
2nd is the safe prediction seeing as this will be Rivers first year starting for the Chargers.....

Picking the Chiefs to finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs 2 years in a row is flat out cold when only 2 teams have ever done that in this playoff format.

Here is the finishing records, as they see it.

Donks: 11-5

Chargers: 10-6

Chiefs: 10-6

Faders: 6-10

wazu
06-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd bet against that. There's no way we win 10 games and finish 3rd. Especially considering it was rare enough that we won 10 and missed the playoffs last year. There'd be no parity at all for that to happen.

I'd bet against that exact scenario as well. However, it really doesn't matter if we finish second or third. I think 10-6 is a healthily optimistic prediction, and puts us on the playoff "bubble".

Mecca
06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
If that happens 3 teams would have missed the playoffs at 10-6 and the Chiefs would account for 2 of them.

The Chargers are going to get more hype than they ever should because they got Tomlinson and Gates.....not to mention ESPN spent months telling everyone that Shawne Merriman is god.

Mecca
06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
I'd bet against that exact scenario as well. However, it really doesn't matter if we finish second or third. I think 10-6 is a healthily optimistic prediction, and puts us on the playoff "bubble".

10-6 isn't the playoff bubble.......you'll make it 99 out of 100 times. Last year was the exception not the rule.

BWillie
06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Chiefs 16-0
Chargers 2-14
Raiders 2-14
Broncos 2-14

It's mathematically possible.

the Talking Can
06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
the Chargers are not winning 10 games with Rivers as QB....I would bet all my future earnings on that...dumping Brees for a bench warming noob when the rest of your squad is playoff ready is just crazy...Rivers ain't Rothleswhatever and the Charger's D isn't good enough to carry him...

Rausch
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Sounds realistic. There's no "non-homer" reason to expect better at this point. (Not that I won't be hoping.)

I'd predict 10-6 to 11-5, our NFC schedule is a joke this year...

stevieray
06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
the Chargers are not winning 10 games with Rivers as QB....I would bet all my future earnings on that...dumping Brees for a bench warming noob when the rest of your squad is playoff ready is just crazy...Rivers ain't Rothleswhatever and the Charger's D isn't good enough to carry him...

what is it with Marty and QB's?

BWillie
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM

He's like Shannahan and RB's, they just have an ego and want to prove they can win without good players at that position to show off their "system".

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:39 PM

:bravo:

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:40 PM

That was actually the GM. Marty wanted to keep Brees, Smith wanted to showcase his high draft pick.

This will be Marty's last year. Smith is looking for a "yes man".

the Talking Can
06-05-2006, 10:40 PM

this time I think it was the GM (that drafted Rivers)...I can't imagine Marty wanting a rookie QB...not with a veteran squad...it all just spells disaster-in-the-making...and if they do miss the playoffs Marty will get canned, and I'll almost feel sorry for him

the Talking Can
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
That was actually the GM. Marty wanted to keep Brees, Smith wanted to showcase his high draft pick.

wow.... ROFL

deja vu

greg63
Chiefs 16-0
Chargers 2-14
Raiders 2-14
Broncos 2-14

It's mathematically possible.
ROFL
Looks good to my homer eyes.

Halfcan
The Donks had a lucky year. They will crash and burn.

Our Corners and DT's suck, but our running game is going to dominate. We win the division!

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Our Corners and DT's suck, but our running game is going to dominate. We win the division!

I think you're going to see improved play from the DT's and CB's this season. A change in scheme is going to help them.

Rausch
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Marty is the ultimate "foundation builder" HC. You put him in and you know you'll have a competitive team in 2-3 years (read: playoff team), once that team is there you hire someone who can push you over the top.

Same thing Cleveland, KC, Washington, and now SD did...

greg63
06-05-2006, 10:45 PM

That's kinda what I think, based on absolutely no scientific fact or analysis at all, because every time we're predicted to do poorly in the division it seems like we end up winning it.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Marty is the ultimate "foundation builder" HC. You put him in and you know you'll have a competitive team in 2-3 years (read: playoff team), once that team is there you hire someone who can push you over the top.

Same thing Cleveland, KC, Washington, and now SD did...

The thing is, all of SD's predecessors went in the tank after Marty left. You'd think the NFL would have learned by now.

cdcox
06-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Rausch
06-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I think you're going to see improved play from the DT's and CB's this season. A change in scheme is going to help them.

I'm worried about our LB's.

In a cover 2 you need some very athletic LB's with range and quick-read ability. That makes for yet another bad fit for Bell (great player, bad scheme match) and Rookie year 2 for DJ. Mitchell might be the only LB to look better in this shceme...

Rausch
06-05-2006, 10:48 PM
The thing is, all of SD's predecessors went in the tank after Marty left. You'd think the NFL would have learned by now.

Not following...

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:49 PM

In a cover 2 you need some very athletic LB's with range and quick-read ability. That makes for yet another bad fit for Bell (great player, bad scheme match) and Rookie year 2 for DJ. Mitchell might be the only LB to look better in this shceme...

Bell won't be playing off the LoS this year, bank on it. He's gonna be rushing the passer in limited duty and standing on the sideline.

Fox, Mitchell, and DJ are well-suited for the Cover 2.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Not following...

You said Marty was a foundation-builder. The idea was to bring him in and get to the playoffs and then hire someone else to "get over the top".

The problem is that it's never worked. Cleveland was 12-19-1 in the two seasons after Marty left and Carson got fired in the middle of his 2nd season. Gunther was 16-16 after Marty left and got fired at the end of his 2nd season. Spurrier was 12-20 and was bought out after his 2nd season.

If I were interviewing for the SD job this coming offseason, I wouldn't take the job. You're pretty much guaranteed to suck and get fired within 24 months.

Rausch
06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Bell won't be playing off the LoS this year, bank on it. He's gonna be rushing the passer in limited duty and standing on the sideline.

God I hope so.

Fox, Mitchell, and DJ are well-suited for the Cover 2.

Agreed.

But it's still another system to learn for DJ, another learning curve. I think he'd be outstanding as an OLB in a 3-4, but we don't have the talent on the D line or at Corner.

Fox should be on the field. He's really impressed when given the chance. And he's a more "pure" 4-3 OLB than Bell.

I just know Bell is going to be another case of misused talent that blows the **** up once he leaves here...

alanm
06-05-2006, 11:04 PM

The Bronco's have been lucky for a couple of seasons injury wise. It's bound to catch up with them. On the flip side were due for a realitively injury free season. Course Taco will use that as his excuse as to why the Donks crashed and burned. :)

greg63
06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I can't believe I added a poll without the obligatory Gaz option. :banghead:

Rausch
06-05-2006, 11:13 PM
You said Marty was a foundation-builder. The idea was to bring him in and get to the playoffs and then hire someone else to "get over the top".

The problem is that it's never worked. Cleveland was 12-19-1 in the two seasons after Marty left and Carson got fired in the middle of his 2nd season. Gunther was 16-16 after Marty left and got fired at the end of his 2nd season. Spurrier was 12-20 and was bought out after his 2nd season.

If I were interviewing for the SD job this coming offseason, I wouldn't take the job. You're pretty much guaranteed to suck and get fired within 24 months.

That I get.

But then every coach the team hired after him sucked horribly because they were bad HC choices.

But you said:

The thing is, all of SD's predecessors went in the tank after Marty left.

Which made it sound like every time Marty left a job the Chargers sucked, or every time Marty left the Chargers they sucked. I didn't get that...

06-06-2006, 03:45 AM
I can't believe I added a poll without the obligatory Gaz option. :banghead:

You honestly think that option is necessary on this particular poll?

Moooo
06-06-2006, 03:48 AM
WE'll finish second. Why? Cause I don't want to think about us having a bye...

Moooo

06-06-2006, 03:59 AM
WE'll finish second. Why? Cause I don't want to think about us having a bye...

Moooo

Finishing first does not mean we will get the bye.

CoMoChief
06-06-2006, 04:13 AM
A 3rd place division team finishing 10-6??? If thats the case then the NFL should re-write the playoff contention rules.

As sad as it may seems, from my eyes, I honestly see the Broncos taking the division again. This will be the 3rd defense in 4 seasons that most of the defense will be learning.

As far as our offense goes lets face it, theyre the ONLY reason why we were in any of the games that we were in late in the game. AS was GREAT at balancing the offense in a way that it would keep the defense on its heels through the majority of the game. People on this site complain that he threw too many screen passes and bullshit reverses, which that may be true compared to other OC's, but we got it done alot. We were a force on offense as everyone and their mother knows. AS was great at developing pass routes and such, where I think that Solari has a MAJOR hole to fill on that aspect. Players dont go to Pro Bowls without a reason some may say. I honestly think our passing game will partially suck this season because of the new offensive philosophy. Run run run run PA run and so on. What does that sound like everybody???????

MARTY BALL IS BACK!!!! so help us God.

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2006, 05:49 AM

DJ would fit this scheme perfectly , because essentially he'll be like Derrick Brooks in the cover 2

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 05:51 AM
That I get.

But then every coach the team hired after him sucked horribly because they were bad HC choices.

But you said:

The thing is, all of SD's predecessors went in the tank after Marty left.

Which made it sound like every time Marty left a job the Chargers sucked, or every time Marty left the Chargers they sucked. I didn't get that...

You're losing it, Chief.

All of SD' predecessors = the teams that hired Marty before they did

And no, it wasn't just that the next HC was bad. It's that Marty has traditionally left his teams in an untenable situation.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 05:52 AM
DJ would fit this scheme perfectly , because essentially he'll be like Derrick Brooks in the cover 2

Yep.

And Gunther has said all along that Fox is the most exciting LB we have.

I think we're gonna be fine, as long as they can stay healthy. Losing Fox last year I think hurt more than people realize.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 05:53 AM
A 3rd place division team finishing 10-6??? If thats the case then the NFL should re-write the playoff contention rules.

As sad as it may seems, from my eyes, I honestly see the Broncos taking the division again. This will be the 3rd defense in 4 seasons that most of the defense will be learning.

As far as our offense goes lets face it, theyre the ONLY reason why we were in any of the games that we were in late in the game. AS was GREAT at balancing the offense in a way that it would keep the defense on its heels through the majority of the game. People on this site complain that he threw too many screen passes and bullshit reverses, which that may be true compared to other OC's, but we got it done alot. We were a force on offense as everyone and their mother knows. AS was great at developing pass routes and such, where I think that Solari has a MAJOR hole to fill on that aspect. Players dont go to Pro Bowls without a reason some may say. I honestly think our passing game will partially suck this season because of the new offensive philosophy. Run run run run PA run and so on. What does that sound like everybody???????

MARTY BALL IS BACK!!!! so help us God.

CHICKEN LITTLE IS BACK!!!! so help us God.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Take it for what it's worth PFW....:rolleyes:

Chiefnj
06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
The Chiefs should finish in second place by default because of a struggling Rivers and the Raiders.

I think KC's defense will struggle learning a new scheme early on. It'll be tough for the LB's. DJ will have his second scheme in just two years in the NFL. Kawika was just starting to grasp the old scheme and Bell has to adjust yet again - we know how well he did learning a new scheme last year. I like the Hali pick but I still don't have much faith in the DL.

The problem with the offense is that they can only really go down. Herm is going to put his conservative stamp on the team, but at least there is some continuity with Solari and Shea.

jidar
06-06-2006, 07:47 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the schedule this year is softer than the Pillsbury doughboy. Meanwhile the Donks schedule is a bitch, SD has a rookie QB, and Oakland still sucks.

KC wins the AFC West.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the schedule this year is softer than the Pillsbury doughboy. Meanwhile the Donks schedule is a bitch, SD has a rookie QB, and Oakland still sucks.

KC wins the AFC West.Really I don't think our schedule is all that easy after reviewing it again. The only games I see that should be automatic wins are San Fran and Oaklandx2. All the other teams that were bad last year have improved such as Arizona and Baltimore and St. Louis.

Brock
06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
This will be the 3rd defense in 4 seasons that most of the defense will be learning.

Yeah right. The only difference is that they might actually be expected to tackle.

ck_IN
06-06-2006, 08:04 AM
I'll pencil in Denver, KC, SD, Oaktown.

Oaktown is just a mess and Shell has several years ahead of him in cleanup detail.

SD has essentially a rookie QB who will suffer some rookie blues. LT and Gates help but a rookie read is a rookie read. Rivers is a player to watch though.

KC will probably step down a notch on O. Roaf will get nicked at some point and we all know what happens when Roaf is out. The D will be confused as hell the first half of the season and by the 2nd half when they get it, age and nicks will likely be effecting the O.

Denver wins because Jake gets miffed by the Cutler pick and plays with a chip on his shoulder. The new WR (name escapes me) fills a big hole that Ashley never could and the D does just enough to get them to the playoffs where they get bombed by Pittsburgh, Indy, or NE.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah right. The only difference is that they might actually be expected to tackle.

What is this "tackle" that you speak of?

Mile High Mania
06-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I think it's going to come down to Denver and KC winning the division. SD won't fall apart, but I do think Rivers is going to have a learning curve as the guy... the defense and LT will keep them respectable, but I wouldn't be shocked with just 8 or 9 wins from SD.

Hopefully, it will be an interesting 3 team race with Oakland not completely sucking. If the division is strong, then whichever team advances should be stronger and better prepared for the playoffs.

It's still too early to project order though, many teams have lots of unanswered questions.

morphius
06-06-2006, 08:07 AM
new head coach on a team always leads experts to lower expectations for a team, expect a lot like this in the offseason. Though in some we will be ranked number two simply because the Chargers are replacing their starting QB.

greg63
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
You honestly think that option is necessary on this particular poll?
ROFL
You'd be surprised. Great responses from the night crew and the morning people; here's a bump for the afternoon folks. :D

greg63
06-06-2006, 11:12 AM
What is this "tackle" that you speak of?

ROFLROFLROFL

...Is that something associated with "Defense"???

greg63
06-25-2006, 12:04 AM
bumparoo.

Logical
06-25-2006, 12:21 AM
We should finish 2nd but only because the Chargers are changing QBs.

NJ Chief Fan
06-25-2006, 07:00 AM
we win the division BANK ON IT

1. chargers have a n00bie at qb
2. shanarat is gonna get tired of jake and cutler comes in and ruins their season
3. raiders suck

milkman
06-25-2006, 07:33 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

...Is that something associated with "Defense"???

Fishing.

Mr. Laz
06-25-2006, 09:54 AM
nobody really has any idea

injuries and chemistry are about 25% of the deal in the NFL each year.

if the chiefs stay healthy and edwards brings things together i would expect the chiefs to be in the division chase.

any significant injuries or if Edwards kills the offense and ...... "Boom" we are swapping spit with the faiders in the basement. :Lin:

CupidStunt
06-25-2006, 11:21 AM
After KC's 2003 win, everyone predicted a repeat.

After SD's 2004 win, everyone predicted a repeat.

After Denver's 2005 win, everyone's picking them to repeat.

It's logical; there's no reason not to. But things change and the unlikely scenarios never seem all that unlikely come September.

It's rare that anyone, with the use of logic, predicts a 12+ win team doing nothing the next season. You always expect them to carry it on if they didn't make many changes.

greg63
06-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Fishing.

Are you asking or telling? :shrug:

milkman
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Are you asking or telling? :shrug:

I'm telling.

There's no tackle in KC, except at the sporting goods store or the bait shop.

greg63
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
we win the division BANK ON IT

1. chargers have a n00bie at qb
2. shanarat is gonna get tired of jake and cutler comes in and ruins their season
3. raiders suck
Nice analysis.

BTW Here's the proper size for your sig(minus the text); just tryin to help. :D

greg63
06-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm telling.

There's no tackle in KC, except at the sporting goods store or the bait shop.

ROFLROFLROFL

Too funny! I'm a bit slow.

sd4chiefs
06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I hope the Chiefs win the division but I have a bad feeling the O line and Green is going to hit the old age wall this year. Rivers worries me. He could have a break out year and all my bandwagoning neighbors will come back out of the closet.

jspchief
06-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Wrong.

Since the league went to a twelve team play-off in 1990, 4 teams have missed the play-offs with 10 wins. '05 Chiefs, '03 Dolphins, and the Eagles and 49ers both in 1991. 4 times in 15 years, rare but not that rare.

Before that, there were a lot of other 10-6 teams that would have missed the play-offs even if the league had allowed 12 instead of 10.

That being said, it's fairly unlikely that it would happen to the same team two years in a row.

craneref
06-25-2006, 05:11 PM
The snake will be bitten once again this year and prove that last year was fluke, The Chargers, please, a rookie QB for all intense purposes, down the road a possiblity, but not this year. The Faders, need I say more. The CHIEFS will win the division this year, the offense may set another record, bt sticking with what works instead of getting too fancy allt he time. The "D" will be much improved and the CHIEFS will dominate the West. The National media would still poick the CHIEFS to finish last or next to last in a one team division, so who the heck listens to them, not me. GO CHIEFS.

Hammock Parties
06-25-2006, 05:16 PM
I think Denver will fall off to about 10-6. Plummer had a career year last year and isn't likely to duplicate that.

milkman
06-25-2006, 05:16 PM
The snake will be bitten once again this year and prove that last year was fluke, The Chargers, please, a rookie QB for all intense purposes, down the road a possiblity, but not this year. The Faders, need I say more. The CHIEFS will win the division this year, the offense may set another record, bt sticking with what works instead of getting too fancy allt he time. The "D" will be much improved and the CHIEFS will dominate the West. The National media would still poick the CHIEFS to finish last or next to last in a one team division, so who the heck listens to them, not me. GO CHIEFS.

Would they be wrong if they picked them to finish last in a one team division?

gcbroncos
06-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Here's a shock

I think Denver will win the division....

Bwana
06-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Pro Football Weekly (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141852)=

ChiefaRoo
06-25-2006, 07:42 PM
PFW hasn't been as good since Joel Buschbaum died. That guy knew his football

milkman
06-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Here's a shock

I think Denver will win the division....

Homer.

gcbroncos
06-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Homer.

I'm good with that....

greg63
06-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm good with that....

Here's the proper size for your sig.