PDA

View Full Version : Best Media Player?

SLAG
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I know Microsoft sucks but i have been using windows media player to listen to my music just because its on every windows box...

I now have a massive enough collection that Windows media player cant handle it.

I used to use winamp back in the day but havent tried it recently, i would also like a program that would run on my U3 drive but i havent found any "free" ones just ShareWare

Any suggestions?

Miles
06-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Itunes

Winamp was my program for a long time and was really stubborn to switch over to Itunes. It is far better than any other software I have used and is even better if you allow it to consolidate your mp3 folder.

SLAG
06-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Itunes

Winamp was my program for a long time and was really stubborn to switch over to Itunes. It is far better than any other software I have used and is even better if you allow it to consolidate your mp3 folder.

have you tried Windows Media Player 11? i have heard some good things about that... or what about Roxio EMC 7

Gaz
06-06-2006, 06:15 AM
WinAmp.

Nice sorting options [Artist, Genre, Comments, Album, Title, Year, Duration, so forth]. Tag editing. Windowshade mode. Lots of add-ins [free and pay] to do just about anything you want to do to your music.

I installed an add-on that allows WinAmp to see my iRiver as a removable drive. I can load the iRiver with tunes selected by the WinAmp sorting criteria [something I cannot do in Windows, for example].

A bit of advice, avoid MusicMatch. It does a lot of the same things, but it is a HUGE resource hog.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tried iTunes and did not like it.

morphius
06-06-2006, 07:08 AM
In windows I use winamp as my player for loading a single song, and use iTunes for my library. iTunes makes it easy to do a lot of different things, like fixing my tags. Sadly I have to use MS's player to talk to my mp3 player, because it is the only one with a working sync option.

ugh

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:10 AM
I've used MusicMatch for a while and Gaz is right it takes up a lot of space and is really slow at least on my crappy machine. I've tried Itunes but couldn't figure out how to work it so now I'm going to try WinAmp. Hope it's good.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I just use Windows media player for all

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:31 AM
So far I like it.

unlurking
06-06-2006, 07:51 AM
MPlayer...

...but I don't think there's a Windows port.

bgguitarman
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Go with Gaz...Winamp is by far the best!

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
winamp

easy to install and you will notice an immediate improvement in the sound quality.

SLAG
06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok I'm going to go with winamp for now we shall see how this AOHELL endorsed product will fair

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I've got WMP 11. Very pleased. Definite upgrade over the anything I've had. :thumb:

SLAG
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I've got WMP 11. Very pleased. Definite upgrade over the anything I've had. :thumb:

i tried it... it was cool for about 30 Min then it started using helluv resources... WinAmp is much better so far. 5.22

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
i tried it... it was cool for about 30 Min then it started using helluv resources... WinAmp is much better so far. 5.22

I would never trust American Online. It will take over your computer.

bgguitarman
06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
I would never trust American Online. It will take over your computer.

When you install Winamp, it doesn't install anything related to AOL.

morphius
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
When you install Winamp, it doesn't install anything related to AOL.
Exactly. Of course trusting MS and not AOL is kind of funny as well...

JBucc
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
When you install Winamp, it doesn't install anything related to AOL.It does if you let it. There's a little clicky box for an AOL trial and an emusic thing.

bgguitarman
06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
It does if you let it. There's a little clicky box for an AOL trial and an emusic thing.

Good call! I had forgotten about that. So pretty much you can avoid all the crap unless you're an idiot.

SLAG
06-07-2006, 10:08 AM
So far Winamp looks like the clear cut winner...

Thanks everyone.. i'm rocking out to my newly aquired 11gigs of music.... I need more

morphius
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
How was media player choking on 11 Gigs? I have 30 + Gig (my wife used to buy a lot of CD's) on a shared drive that I can connect to over my wireless lan with no issue.

SLAG
06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
How was media player choking on 11 Gigs? I have 30 + Gig (my wife used to buy a lot of CD's) on a shared drive that I can connect to over my wireless lan with no issue.

It was slowing Down Considerably... and in the Library it would show pages and pages of blank entrys

ChiefsLV
06-08-2006, 12:27 AM
I was using ITunes, but switched because I like to play music from a particular year sometimes, i.e all songs in my library that were released in 1996. Itunes would force me to have to create a playlist with all songs from a particular year in them. I didn't want all that manual work when I add new songs to my library, so I found a program called Media Monkey (free download). Works pretty well and also allows me to update tags easily from the Amazon.com library.

I did try the Media Player 11 beta and the library features in it look pretty nice. Looking forward to the final release of it and Windows Vista.