PDA

View Full Version : Royals to take Hochevar

beavis
06-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/14752170.htm)

Royals plan to take Hochevar with first pick
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
SEATTLE | The Royals plan to select former Tennessee right-hander Luke Hochevar with the first overall pick in today’s draft, The Star has learned.

Club officials spent Monday night in negotiations with Scott Boras, who represents Hochevar, in an attempt to reach an agreement. But plans are in place for the club to select Hochevar even in the absence of a deal.

The Royals turned to Hochevar as a staff consensus Monday as the best-available talent among a pool of three finalists that also included North Carolina left-hander Andrew Miller and Houston right-hander Brad Lincoln.

Hochevar, 22, re-entered the draft pool this year after failing to reach agreement last year with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is currently pitching for the Fort Worth Cats in the independent American Association, where he is 1-1 with a 2.38 ERA in four starts.

The draft begins at noon and is conducted through a conference call from the Commissioner’s Office in New York. The Royals have the first overall pick because they finished last season with the worst record among the 30 teams.

Hochevar was generally regarded as the second-best pitcher in last year’s draft after going 15-3 with a 2.26 ERA in 19 starts at Tennessee. But he fell to the 40th pick because of signability concerns arising from his connection to Boras.

The concerns proved valid when Hochevar sought a $4 million bonus – the same amount the Royals gave to Alex Gordon, the second overall pick in last year’s draft. The Dodgers’ top offer was $2.8 million.

The Royals had Miller atop their draft board as late as Monday afternoon but showed increasing interest in Hochevar once he re-entered the draft pool.

beavis
06-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't know what to think about this. I had pretty much accepted that it was going to be Miller. But looking at the mock on mlb.com this morning, they had him falling all the way to #11.

Also, they didn't have Max Scherzer going in the first round. It'd be really cool if we got him in the second.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I still think it's going to be Brad Lincoln. Just a hunch....

shakesthecat
06-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Good

I'd like to think he'll be in either Wichita or Burlington by Friday, but until proven otherwise, this is still the Royals.

beavis
06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Good

I'd like to think he'll be in either Wichita or Burlington by Friday, but until proven otherwise, this is still the Royals.
Well according to the article, they're already in negotiations. I suppose the wouldn't draft him unless they thought they had a chance of signing him. But then again, it is Boras.

Archie Bunker
06-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I would be pleased with this pick. He is supposed to be the closest to being major league ready. Maybe throwing Boras a bone will help the Royals in future dealing with him.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Fine by me IF it is Moore making the call rather than Dan Glass. Miller is the consensus number one pick, and it's hard to imagine the Royals having better scouting than a composite of MLB scouts.

It isn't a promising development, though. It could be Moore wants to spend money in other areas. If so, fine. If it is the Glasses saying they aren't going to pay that much...well that shouldn't be their ****ing call...just give Dayton the money, and let him spend how he wants to.

And, whether officially or unofficially, Moore is running the draft. All he has to do e-mail Ladnier or Jackson the cheat sheet with the picks. If x is available in this round, take him, if not take y.

beavis
06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Fine by me IF it is Moore making the call rather than Dan Glass. Miller is the consensus number one pick, and it's hard to imagine the Royals having better scouting than a composite of MLB scouts.

It isn't a promising development, though. It could be Moore wants to spend money in other areas. If so, fine. If it is the Glasses saying they aren't going to pay that much...well that shouldn't be their ****ing call...just give Dayton the money, and let him spend how he wants to.

And, whether officially or unofficially, Moore is running the draft. All he has to do e-mail Ladnier or Jackson the cheat sheet with the picks. If x is available in this round, take him, if not take y.
Awesome. People are already bitching about Moore and he hasn't even taken over yet. ROFL

And if you'd have read the thread starter, you'd see that Miller is far from a concensus #1. Again, mlb.com has him going #11, to the Diamondbacks I believe.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Great!

Hochevar is an excellent pick.

hawkchief
06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Dealing with Boras always turns out bad. I say pick someone else.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Miller is the consensus number one pick

False. That's simply not true.

And anyway, I heard someone from Scouts, Inc on the radio yesterday say that Miller only has 2 pitches, and that most teams feel he projects to closer more than starter.

I'm fine with this pick. In fact, going with a player who is a Boras client may signal that the culture is changing in the Royals' front office.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM
i just hope whoever it is pans out, we need starting pitching.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 09:07 AM
False. That's simply not true.

And anyway, I heard someone from Scouts, Inc on the radio yesterday say that Miller only has 2 pitches, and that most teams feel he projects to closer more than starter.

I'm fine with this pick. In fact, going with a player who is a Boras client may signal that the culture is changing in the Royals' front office.

Consensus An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole.

Miller is most certainly the consensus #1 pick. Is he the unanimous #1 pick? Perhaps not, but he's close to being.

Sure-Oz
06-06-2006, 09:21 AM
What is this guys K to BB ratio?? Miller has been iffy lately, we need MLB ready arms, lets hope this guy is it!

beavis
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Consensus An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole.

Miller is most certainly the consensus #1 pick. Is he the unanimous #1 pick? Perhaps not, but he's close to being.
I have also heard that Miller may be trying to conceal an injury. Haven't seen it printed anywhere, just a rumor thus far.

banyon
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Some guy on 810 this morning said that Miller wanted "Mark Prior" kind of money. ugh.

beavis
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
What is this guys K to BB ratio?? Miller has been iffy lately, we need MLB ready arms, lets hope this guy is it!
I'm on board with that. I'm sick of all this limp armed fly ball pitchers. I want to see someone overpowering, capable of striking someone out once in a while.

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't know what to think about this. I had pretty much accepted that it was going to be Miller. But looking at the mock on mlb.com this morning, they had him falling all the way to #11.

Also, they didn't have Max Scherzer going in the first round. It'd be really cool if we got him in the second.Scherzer in the second would be a steal.

Sure-Oz
06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I think i'd be fine with Lincoln or Hochover, Miller seemed to bland for me, and they say he is a tall guy(have another kyle snyder?), i dont know guess we'll see in time what happens

beavis
06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Scherzer in the second would be a steal.
I think so too. I'll be amazed if he falls that far.

beavis
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I think i'd be fine with Lincoln or Hochover, Miller seemed to bland for me, and they say he is a tall guy(have another kyle snyder?), i dont know guess we'll see in time what happens
That's the thing I can't get past with him. A 6'6" guy I expect to be throwing 98+.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Hochevar has issues, too. He wasn't the same pitcher in the second half of last year as the first. Additionally, he is thought of as a potential head case because of his bizarre handling of his contract negotiations last year.

This whole thing is a crap shoot anyway. I don't have a problem with taking Hochevar if he is Moore's choice, not Glass refusing to pay Miller's asking price.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
What's impressive about Miller is guys never get the ball in the air against him. He had the highest ratio of GO to FO in college baseball. Plus he had quite a few SOs.

oldandslow
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Scherzer in the second would be a steal.

All the buzz in my part of the baseball world is that St Louis is going to pick Scherzer. It makes sense.

I do think Hochevar is a very good pick.

KevB
06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I like the Hochevar pick for several reasons. The first is, I've watched the video of each of these guys on MLB.com (please do the same....you'll be glad you did), and even in that limited amount of time, I'm not thrilled with Miller's mechanics. He throws across his body, he's stiff-legged, and doesn't use his body well in driving to the plate. Hochevar's mechanics look really solid.

The second is that Hochevar already has 4 major league ready pitches. Miller has yet to throw a changeup.....he'd need to learn one before he becomes a big league starter.

The third is that I actually like that Hochevar has one less year of wear and tear on his arm by sitting out a year in his early 20's. Now that he's shown that his stuff is still there (by all accounts of his performance in the indy league), I think it's a good thing he's sat out.

Last, Miller is saying he wants a 6 million dollar deal. I'm obviously against Glass going cheap, but when you have comparable pitchers, and one is willing to sign for $1M or more less than another....take the cheaper pitcher. Having said that, they damn well better not go cheap in rounds 2-10.

beavis
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
This whole thing is a crap shoot anyway. I don't have a problem with taking Hochevar if he is Moore's choice, not Glass refusing to pay Miller's asking price.
Call me crazy, but I have no problem with Glass refusing to shell out an unreasonable amount for a pitcher who is at best 50/50 to ever see Kansas City.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Looks like it is a done deal for Hochevar.

http://www.fwcats.com/player_image.cfm?img=hochevar06web.jpg&player_name=LUKE%20HOCHEVAR

Dude's got a set of big ol' ears

Sure-Oz
06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
No way i'd pay Miller more than we did for Alex Gordon who def. is a better prospect than miller, Hochevar is goofy lookin haha

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 10:47 AM
It's been interesting listening to Petro talk about this for the last 40 minutes or so.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Hochevar doesn't sound like a good idea to me .......... i heard he had some kind of agreement with the dodger and then backed out.

baseball guy on 810 the other day sound like he thought Hochevar was a weasel.

i have no idea about the talent level of any of the prospects though. :shrug:

KChiefs1
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
http://detectovision.com/?p=665

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 10:54 AM

Good read. Makes me feel a lot better about Hochevar.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Call me crazy, but I have no problem with Glass refusing to shell out an unreasonable amount for a pitcher who is at best 50/50 to ever see Kansas City.

You miss my point. I don't have a problem with the Royals refusing the bonus demands of Miller. If he really is demanding 10 million and is serious, NO TEAM will take him.

I'm just paranoid that Glass has any say at all. He should set the organizational budget and then have zero input on how it is spent.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm just paranoid that Glass has any say at all. He should set the organizational budget and then have zero input on how it is spent.I don't think you'd find that any owner in baseball works like that. He has a vested interest and should be involved when we're talking about major expenditures; what needs to change is his willingness to listen to the people who work for him. Instead of dictating, he needs to write off on the proposal.

Lamar Hunt's a perfect example of this. Every first round pick, every trade of every first round pick and every major free agent signing that involves a big signing bonus has to cross his desk.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Took him.

ChiefsFire
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
good pick

Archie Bunker
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
:clap:

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
alright guys ... why is he such a good pick then?

what's he got?

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't think you'd find that any owner in baseball works like that. He has a vested interest and should be involved when we're talking about major expenditures; what needs to change is his willingness to listen to the people who work for him. Instead of dictating, he needs to write off on the proposal.

Lamar Hunt's a perfect example of this. Every first round pick, every trade of every first round pick and every major free agent signing that involves a big signing bonus has to cross his desk.

Right, but when you have screwed up as big as the Glass clan has, you should tuck your tail between your legs and run away. How many owners can lay claim to running a team into the ground to such as an extent that they will be regarded as the worst team in that league's modern era? The Royals most likely will break the Mets record for futility this year. David Glass needs to be put in the penalty box for at least a few years.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm more forgiving I guess. I'd rather he recognize his mistakes, learn from them, open that rusty, dusty pocket book and let Dayton Moore do his job.

If he doesn't, we're screwed, because I don't think there's much chance MLB will remove him.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
alright guys ... why is he such a good pick then?

what's he got?

"...A high-ceiling pitcher with the skills and makeup to get to the Major Leagues quickly.

Most scouts agree Hochevar (pronounced HO-chay-vur) has the tools to be a No. 1 starter in the Major Leagues someday. He is a smart pitcher, with a diligent work ethic to go with a fastball that has been clocked as high as 97 mph. It is a fastball that has a decided sinking action, earning the 6-5 Hochevar early comparisons to Kevin Brown.

Hochevar's repertoire also includes an above-average slider and curveball as well as an average changeup that is made more effective by Hochevar's quick arm action.

There's no denying Hochevar's prodigious talent. The only mark against him, if indeed there is one, is signability after his inability to come to agreement on a contract last year.

Hochevar was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a supplemental pick (40th overall) between the first and second rounds in the 2005 draft.

Hochevar, the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2005, struck out a school record 154 batters while posting a 15-3 record and 2.26 ERA for the season. He opened his season with the loss in a 10-1 defeat to Texas A&M at the Minute Maid Classic in Houston on February 11 before rebounding to win 15 of his next 16 decisions to tie Lance Broadway of Texas Christian University for the national lead in wins.

In three years with the Volunteers, Hochevar was 25-10 with a 3.05 ERA. He struck out 287 batters in 280.1 innings while walking 101. Six of his 33 career starts as a collegian were complete games.

Since then, Hochevar's performance on the mound has been even stronger. At a recent outing in Fort Worth, some two dozen scouts watched Hochevar pitch. He drew high marks and it was clear the time spent in Fort Worth had not diminished Hochevar's skills.

The Royals also like Hochevar's athleticism.

Hochevar comes from an athletic family. His father Brian played professional basketball with the Denver Nuggets in 1979. His mother, Carmen, played college volleyball and basketball at Southern Colorado. His sister Brittany was a two-time All-America volleyballer at Long Beach State and is currently playing professional beach volleyball in Puerto Rico. Younger brother Dylan is a talented high school quarterback and basketball player.

The Dodgers had previously drafted Hochevar in the 39th round of the 2002 draft following an impressive senior season during which the Colorado 2A Player of the Year fanned 97 in 47 innings while going 7-0 with a 1.19 ERA. He also batted .622 with 13 home runs and 38 RBIs."

(per MLB)

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
"...A high-ceiling pitcher with the skills and makeup to get to the Major Leagues quickly.

Most scouts agree Hochevar (pronounced HO-chay-vur) has the tools to be a No. 1 starter in the Major Leagues someday. He is a smart pitcher, with a diligent work ethic to go with a fastball that has been clocked as high as 97 mph. It is a fastball that has a decided sinking action, earning the 6-5 Hochevar early comparisons to Kevin Brown.

Hochevar's repertoire also includes an above-average slider and curveball as well as an average changeup that is made more effective by Hochevar's quick arm action.

There's no denying Hochevar's prodigious talent. The only mark against him, if indeed there is one, is signability after his inability to come to agreement on a contract last year.

Hochevar was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a supplemental pick (40th overall) between the first and second rounds in the 2005 draft.

Hochevar, the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2005, struck out a school record 154 batters while posting a 15-3 record and 2.26 ERA for the season. He opened his season with the loss in a 10-1 defeat to Texas A&M at the Minute Maid Classic in Houston on February 11 before rebounding to win 15 of his next 16 decisions to tie Lance Broadway of Texas Christian University for the national lead in wins.

In three years with the Volunteers, Hochevar was 25-10 with a 3.05 ERA. He struck out 287 batters in 280.1 innings while walking 101. Six of his 33 career starts as a collegian were complete games.

Since then, Hochevar's performance on the mound has been even stronger. At a recent outing in Fort Worth, some two dozen scouts watched Hochevar pitch. He drew high marks and it was clear the time spent in Fort Worth had not diminished Hochevar's skills.

The Royals also like Hochevar's athleticism.

Hochevar comes from an athletic family. His father Brian played professional basketball with the Denver Nuggets in 1979. His mother, Carmen, played college volleyball and basketball at Southern Colorado. His sister Brittany was a two-time All-America volleyballer at Long Beach State and is currently playing professional beach volleyball in Puerto Rico. Younger brother Dylan is a talented high school quarterback and basketball player.

The Dodgers had previously drafted Hochevar in the 39th round of the 2002 draft following an impressive senior season during which the Colorado 2A Player of the Year fanned 97 in 47 innings while going 7-0 with a 1.19 ERA. He also batted .622 with 13 home runs and 38 RBIs."

(per MLB)

thanks.... :clap:

hope he works out

chief2000
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I like this pick.

The Royals last good pitcher was a latin guy who was only 6 foot but got injured.

Sure-Oz
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I feel a bit better about this pick than Miller, if Hochaloogy has his head in the game and there is no signing issues this may turn out great. We take a risk but it good be a huge plus if it works out and if not we are used to drafting busts!

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I like this pick.

The Royals last good pitcher was a latin guy who was only 6 foot but got injured.

roberto hernandez? :shrug:

:p

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
if I'd have known this was who the royals were going to take, i would have watched him a little closer a week or so ago when he was in st. joe pitching against the blacksnakes :(

chief2000
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
roberto hernandez? :shrug:

He was in the Allstar game for one year.

Then blew out his arm. I think thats him.

:p

shakesthecat
06-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Jose Rosado

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:43 AM
He was in the Allstar game for one year.

Then blew out his arm. I think thats him.

i was only kidding about roberto, all I ever remember about him was the bombs that consistently flew over the fences when he was pitching :|

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
are we at a standstill? :shrug:

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I feel a bit better about this pick than Miller, if Hochaloogy has his head in the game and there is no signing issues this may turn out great. We take a risk but it good be a huge plus if it works out and if not we are used to drafting busts!Jayson Stark was talking like Miller may take months to sign. Mentioned (or maybe it was Soren) that there might have been an agreement in place already and that he (meaning Hochevar) could be signed in a week's time.

Conjecture of course...

beavis
06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
if I'd have known this was who the royals were going to take, i would have watched him a little closer a week or so ago when he was in st. joe pitching against the blacksnakes :(
No kidding, I just heard that on the radio. I would have made the trip up if I would have known.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Royals saying they thought Hochevar was more advanced as a pitcher, could be here (in KC) in a year and a half. Thought he was the best pitcher in the draft.

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Great. I like this much more than hoping Miller can develop an off speed pitch. Miller just had too many question marks for my liking.

beavis
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
"He looks considerably goofier than any other high draft pick. Can you imagine him and Felix as our #1-#2? But as you can see from his 8×10, he's a plus-plus listener."

ROFL

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
No kidding, I just heard that on the radio. I would have made the trip up if I would have known.

That's the only game I've been to this year, and I didnt even realize he was on their radar :(

beavis
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
That's the only game I've been to this year, and I didnt even realize he was on their radar :(
How'd he look?

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
How'd he look?

To be honest, I didnt pay that much attention. I just walked my one year old down to the ballfield, and some guy gave me a free tic outside so I went in. Stayed a few innings and then headed out. I didnt see anything dominating that would have lead me to believe he would have warranted a No. 1 overall, but who knows. There were a ton of scouts at this game, probably 15 radar guns behind the plate so there were definitely a lot of teams keeping their eye on him, for whatever that is worth.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
here's the st joe press release from that game:

Blacksnakes End Homestand on Sour Note
Thursday, May 25, 2006

St. Joseph, MO—After St. Joe jumped on Fort Worth in the series’ first two games, it was Fort Worth that took the big early lead, and the Cats would make it stand up for the 8-3 win Thursday night. St. Joe (5-8) ends the homestand 4-2 and now heads to Sioux City for a four-game weekend series.

With scheduled starter Mark Nussbeck scratched with shoulder soreness, Josh Jarman took the hill for St. Joe and had a rough second inning. Fort Worth struck for five runs on three hits and three walks to take the 5-0 lead. Tony Mota capped the inning with a two-run triple to left-center field.

The ‘Snakes would get on the board against prospect Luke Hochevar in the second as Wil Quintana tripled to lead off the frame and was knocked home by Jake Whitesides’ sacrifice fly.

But Fort Worth would get that back in the third to make it a 6-1 game.

Then St. Joe would get a couple opportunities to cut into the lead. They loaded the bases in the third with nobody out and the league-leading home run hitter in Quintana at the plate. But Hochevar struck him out and then induced an inning-ending double play from Cody Nowlin to thwart the threat.

But the ‘Snakes would get a pair in the fourth. With the bases again loaded, Jimmy Mojica hit a chopper up the third base line that Hochevar threw away to first resulting in a pair of runs on the infield hit and error. St. Joe was within 6-3. But that was as close as they would get as Fort Worth added a pair in the seventh for the 8-3 final.

Jarman (0-1) suffered the ‘Snakes loss while Hochevar (1-1) picked up his first professional victory while striking out nine in 5.2 innings. Mojica had three hits and an RBI for St. Joe.

Now St. Joe heads to Sioux City for a four-game series with the 5-8 Explorers. Friday’s contest begins at 7:05pm and can be heard, beginning with the Heartland Health Pre-Game at 6:45pm. Donovan Graves (1-1) will start for St. Joe, opposed by Kaarsten Gaarder (0-2) for Sioux City. The ‘Snakes then return home next Tuesday for a brief three-game homestand.

tk13
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm not surprised. Seemed like more and more negative things were coming out about Miller... well one he doesn't have an offspeed pitch, some people thought he had poor mechanics, and then the rumors that he's asking for a ton of money. Of course that's how drafts work sometimes too, but I don't know how comfortable I was paying 6-8 million dollars to a guy who doesn't have an offspeed pitch when Alex Gordon only got 4 million dollars and he's almost major league ready. Hochevar sounds like a more polished pitcher... although with Boras the odds are greater he'll only be here for 6 years then leave.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 12:05 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/national/stories/060406dnspohochevar.84312ce.html

Fort Worth Cats' Hochevar pitching to scouts

10:09 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 6, 2006
By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH – Luke Hochevar strides confidently onto a baseball diamond like a cowboy preparing for a Wild West shootout.

Hochevar, 22, owns the high ground – a 10-inch tall mound at LaGrave Field, a few miles away from the Fort Worth Stockyards. His right arm provides plenty of firepower, pelting the strike zone with 91-94 mph fastballs that baffle independent league batters.

But on this balmy Friday night, two weeks before the amateur baseball draft, it isn't just the hitters this Fort Worth Cats pitcher is trying to impress.

Hochevar (pronounced Ho-CHAY-ver) cocks his arm and readies to fire. In unison, about 15 other guns – radar guns – are drawn from their holsters and trained at him, with the fingers of major league scouts on the triggers.

Hochevar shows off his powerful fastball, as well as breaking ball and off-speed pitches that have evaluators – many of them scouting directors who only see the top prospects weeks before the draft – scribbling notes and scurrying for their cellphones.

"It doesn't excite me or scare me to throw in front of scouts," said Hochevar, who throws a fastball, sinker, change-up, curve and slider. "When it comes down to it, I still have to execute pitches. That's what I'm here to do."

He's in Fort Worth because that's part of agent Scott Boras' plan to make Hochevar a multimillionaire. Scouts see a textbook frame for a starter, a major league arm and an aggressive approach to getting hitters out that shows maturity. General managers see a guy who has first-round talent and big league potential.

There's a growing belief among scouting directors that Hochevar could be the No. 1 pick Tuesday, and it's possible a deal could be worked out with the Royals before the draft. The chances are slim that he would return to the Cats.

Hochevar was taken 40th overall by the Dodgers in last year's draft. He led Tennessee to the College World Series in 2005 and won the Rogers Clemens Award as the top collegiate pitcher, going 15-3 with a 2.26 ERA. It was the second time Los Angeles had taken Hochevar, drafting him in the 39th round in 2002 out of high school.

But the Dodgers and Hochevar couldn't agree on a signing bonus. Hochevar won't discuss it, but reports said he turned down $2.98 million after last year's draft and that he was seeking as much as $4 million.

Like any good salesman knows – and there may be no one better in sports than Boras – you have to get your product where buyers can see it. So Hochevar opted not to return for senior season at Tennessee and came to Fort Worth instead. The location makes it easy for scouts to fly in from across the country, not to mention it's a 20-minute drive west on I-30 from Ameriquest Field.

Hochevar makes $850 a month. He has to pick up balls after batting practice and carry bags off the bus after 15-hour, 1,000-mile trips, just like any other rookie.

Of course, unlike other rookies, he knows all of this is temporary.

Fort Worth Cats player personnel director Barry Moss – who was in St. Paul, Minn., when another Boras client, J.D. Drew, also played independent ball before going back in the draft – was happy to accommodate Hochevar. The Cats agreed to set up the rotation where he could get an exhibition game and several starts at home before the draft.

"Part of my job is to get as many of our players as possible some exposure, and this is a good way to do it," Moss said. "He's been great for our team. I'm sure scouts are grading his pitches right at major league standards. Everything he's wanted to show, I think he's accomplished that."

Hochevar's next goal is to follow Drew's path to financial success. Drew turned down a $3 million offer from Philadelphia in 1997 and signed an $8 million deal with St. Louis after the Cardinals drafted him in 1998.

"I'm excited to get into affiliated ball and pursue my career," Hochevar said. "I'll play for any organization. My dream has always been to play in the majors."

The large number of scouting directors and cross checkers in Fort Worth to see Hochevar indicates many teams could be ready to pull the trigger and draft him – again. But they'll probably have to get into a shootout of their own, a negotiation session with Boras. That's when Hochevar will learn if refusing Dodgers blue for Fort Worth Cats blue was worth it.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
... although with Boras the odds are greater he'll only be here for 6 years then leave.I don't think it matters who is agent is in that regard. If he becomes dominant, he won't stay here. We (probably) won't pony up the cash, and even if we would there just aren't the same kind of opportunities here for the major athelete that there are in major cities. That's just reality.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
second pick - Jason Taylor, SS from Floyd E. Kellam High School.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
second pick - Jason Taylor, SS from Floyd E. Kellam High School.

looks like berroa's on his way out :p

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't think it matters who is agent is in that regard. If he becomes dominant, he won't stay here. We (probably) won't pony up the cash, and even if we would there just aren't the same kind of opportunities here for the major athelete that there are in major cities. That's just reality.

You never know maybe in the future he won't be such a cheap ass .... (Dreams!)

FringeNC
Baseball Analysts.com don't like him much:

Since then, thanks to Kent Bonham, we have learned that Hochevar may have been statistically overrated last year. His final junior stat line offers an ERA of 2.26, a number aided by context. Remove defense from the equation, and Hochevar's ERA slips to 3.69, without his park and schedule, just 3.97. Suddenly the Dodgers unwavering offer doesn't look so bad, does it?

Hochevar proved a lot with his stint in Indy ball, showing the same arm strength, and just a little less polish than his previous self. Given a year off to rest his once over-worked arm, this is forgivable.

At any spot in the top ten, Hochevar is simply a reach, lucky to have his hold-out gamble pay off. In truth he is a pitcher that belongs from 10-20 in the draft, garnering little more than slot from that position. Given his flakiness in the past, the bang is just not worth the buck with Hochevar.

http://www.baseballanalysts.com/

Pitt Gorilla
It kind of sucks that the year we have the #1 pick, there is no 5 tools guy just jumping off the board (like last year). That being said, a good pitcher isn't a bad get.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 12:13 PM
It kind of sucks that the year we have the #1 pick, there is no 5 tools guy just jumping off the board (like last year). That being said, a good pitcher isn't a bad get.

Nah, and considering the "consensus #1" ended up being the 5th pitcher drafted, seems like opinion turned out to be pretty divided.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 12:13 PM
You never know maybe in the future he won't be such a cheap ass .... (Dreams)Problem is, we have to not just match but outbid the New York's and LA's of the world to retain guys.

On a positive note, there are a lot of players who find that they love it here. But for the ones who are in search of a buck (Beltran, Damon...) we just can't match what other cities offer.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
It kind of sucks that the year we have the #1 pick, there is no 5 tools guy just jumping off the board (like last year). That being said, a good pitcher isn't a bad get.Although pitching is what we need. There's next to nothing in the pipeline.

Logical
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I will be sad for Royals fans if they don't have this guy signed and they draft him anyway. If the Dodgers could not ink this guy what chance do the Royals have?

banyon
06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Gee, why'd we take a shortstop? We are already set for years there.[/sarcasm]

shakesthecat
06-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I will be sad for Royals fans if they don't have this guy signed and they draft him anyway. If the Dodgers could not ink this guy what chance do the Royals have?

100%

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 12:25 PM
This HS SS pick has me worried about Bianchi's back. Bianchi was a 2nd round SS last year who tore up the rookie league to the tune of .408, but strained his back. He hasn't played yet this season, partly because of the back and partly because they planned on playing him in the Idaho Falls short season league.
So, I'm kind of worried about his back more than I was. I know nothing about this HS dude, however.

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
This HS SS pick has me worried about Bianchi's back. Bianchi was a 2nd round SS last year who tore up the rookie league to the tune of .408, but strained his back. He hasn't played yet this season, partly because of the back and partly because they planned on playing him in the Idaho Falls short season league.
So, I'm kind of worried about his back more than I was. I know nothing about this HS dude, however.

I didn't heat about this about Bianchi that kid is amazing but also remind people Muzzy Jackson is doing the draft so i am still lost on this pick.

Edit: found this from Royals Forum

"Jason Taylor and Graham Stoneburner entered the 2006 season as the top prep players after Jeffress, and each signed with Clemson. Taylor is an excellent athlete who played shortstop at Kellam High but likely will take his 6-foot-1, 200-pound frame to first base or the outfield professionally. He broke his arm early in the summer of 2005 and missed most of the showcases, but his talent was evident as a member of Team USA's junior national team. Some compared Taylor with Justin Upton for his athleticism and the ease with which he plays the game. Taylor's bat is his ticket, and he centers balls well. He's at least an average runner, though his power is a question mark. He should be signable in the fifth- to 10th-round range. "

Logical
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
100%Really with Boras?

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Really with Boras?

Got a Gun? We could settle the contract negotiations with one to his head.

tk13
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
You aren't thinking fourth dimensionally, Marty. The reason he didn't sign was he wanted #1-2 pick money. Now that we've drafted him #1, he can get #1 pick money. He really benefits from a much weaker draft class this year.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM
anyone know anything about OF Derrick Robinson? :shrug:

tk13
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
In the 3rd round, we took Blake Wood, a starting pitcher from Georgia Tech. Kind of an odd pick. He actually had a really good junior year, but really dropped off his senior year and suffered from shin splits. His senior year numbers aren't very impressive.

Our 4th round pick is really interesting, Derrick Robinson, a switch-hitting high school OF. I haven't seen him but he's considered maybe the fastest player in the draft, he can fly I guess. 5'11" 175, apparently has a committment to play two sports at Florida.

KevB
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Our 4th round pick is really interesting, Derrick Robinson, a switch-hitting high school OF. I haven't seen him but he's considered maybe the fastest player in the draft, he can fly I guess. 5'11" 175, apparently has a committment to play two sports at Florida.

Scouting Report: One of last summer's highlights was Robinson strapping on his bright red track shoes to run the 60-yard-dash at showcases, especially after he was clocked last June in 6.19 seconds. Also a top football recruit, Robinson committed to Florida, but he has told scouts he wants to sign to play baseball. The club that believes in Robinson's ability to hit could pop him as early as the supplemental round. He's an 80 runner on the 20-80 scouting scale, but he's more than just an athlete. He has a feel for the game and impressed scouts with his instincts, considering he's split time between two sports. He has improved his pitch recognition, though he has additional room for improvement. He tends to get out on his front foot too early, especially from the left side of the plate, but when he stays back he has gap power and good bat speed. He needs to get stronger, but he knows how to use the whole field and bunts well. His defensive skills are average, with a below-average arm.

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Padres just took Culp from MU; damn.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
geezus

What a couple 3 shit ass picks after rd 1. It's almost as if we don't have a GM running the draft.................

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
geezus

What a couple 3 shit ass picks after rd 1. It's almost as if we don't have a GM running the draft.................

Actually it's an assistant GM running the draft.

Saulbadguy
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
ROFL

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
In the 3rd round, we took Blake Wood, a starting pitcher from Georgia Tech. Kind of an odd pick. He actually had a really good junior year, but really dropped off his senior year and suffered from shin splits. His senior year numbers aren't very impressive.

An "80" runner seems like a very interesting proposition. Who would that equate to? Someone like Kenny Lofton, Tom Goodwin, Deion Sanders perhaps?

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 01:43 PM

Really?

;)

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Padres just took Culp from MU; damn.I was hoping we'd take him. Oh well...

chief2000
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't like the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Why is Ladnier still here if he's director of scouting ?

Thought there was going to be a housecleaning.

KevB
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
An "80" runner seems like a very interesting proposition. Who would that equate to? Someone like Kenny Lofton, Tom Goodwin, Deion Sanders perhaps?

Lofton is absolute best case secenario.

Rooster
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM

A quick question and sorry if it has already been asked. I'm not as familar with the MLB draft as I am with the NFL draft. What happens if the Royals can't sign him like the Dodgers couldn't? Are they just SOL? Do they totally lose out on a number one draft pick or are they compensated some how? Thanks.

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Robinson in the 4th, if we can sign him, does a bit to make up for the terrible sounding 2nd and 3rd round picks.

sedated
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
think we can get Hooch signed and in KC before Friday's game?

tk13
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
The Cubs just took Jeff Samardzija, the WR from Notre Dame, in the 5th round. He's supposed to be a pretty good pitcher too.

chiefqueen
06-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't like the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Why is Ladnier still here if he's director of scouting ?

Thought there was going to be a housecleaning.

Moore had to throw a couple of "crappy" picks in there as evidence he is not running things behind the scenes.

OOPS!!!!! I guess I blew his cover.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Robinson in the 4th, if we can sign him, does a bit to make up for the terrible sounding 2nd and 3rd round picks.

How can you call those two guys terrible picks? You had never heard of them 5 minutes before their name was called.

Husky4506
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
This guy was a 40th pick last year, now a #1. MAn i bet the Royals will in the World Series next year!
This gives me more of a reason to see them lose and david and dan get made fun of!

tk13
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm okay with the 2nd round pick. Sounds like he's got some talent... people thought Bianchi was kind of a reach last year and he turned out alright, except for injuries. 3rd round pick, I don't know, I'd have to hear Ladnier's explanation on that one. That's the only thing I don't like, seems like we've taken a lot of guys with past injury issues. I guess that doesn't always mean anything if they're healthy now, but that's the last thing we need, more injuries. I still think that's half the reason we are the team we are now... we can't keep any of our pitchers healthy.

Mecca
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Don't read to much into positions......the baseball draft isn't the NFL draft. Players take so long to make it you're better off taking the best players regardless of position every time in baseball.

tk13
06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
You know, Moore "supposedly" doesn't have any input in this draft, but we sure are taking a lot of southern players. The Braves usually scour the state of Georgia and the surrounding area pretty hard.

We took Wood in the 3rd round and raised some eyebrows, he came from GA Tech in Atlanta. These last 5-6 rounds or so we've taken players from Clemson, Southern Miss, Florida State, and Georgia Southern.

We've seemingly pretty much focused on pitchers, middle infielders, and center fielders. Our 7th round pick was a CF from UC Riverside named Brett Bigler, supposedly has good plate discipline, good speed, and was considered one of the best defensive outfielders in college baseball. I really like how we're drafting speed and defense in the outfield.

beavis
06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
A quick question and sorry if it has already been asked. I'm not as familar with the MLB draft as I am with the NFL draft. What happens if the Royals can't sign him like the Dodgers couldn't? Are they just SOL? Do they totally lose out on a number one draft pick or are they compensated some how? Thanks.
They'd be SOL.

Archie Bunker
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
So far I like this draft. Looks like the royals have focused on power arms, speed, and defense basically everything the Royals have lacked for a long time.

tyton75
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
All I know is that I heard Soren all but cursing the Royals for the 2 and 3rd round picks.. stating that they weren't even IN the Baseball America Top 100

You could hear the exasperation in his voice.. so I'm skeptical of the picks myself... probably just signable, serviceable junk picks.. but I hope thats not true

Sure-Oz
06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Damnit Muzzy!!! threads are going to start!

4th and Long
06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Damnit Muzzy!!! threads are going to start!
I used to work with his wife.

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 05:20 PM
How can you call those two guys terrible picks? You had never heard of them 5 minutes before their name was called.
I'm not saying they are, just that they sound terrible. Without any deep exploration into them, you see that they weren't in the Baseball America Top 200. Couple that with a general lack of confidence in the people making the decisions, and they look pretty bad at first glance. I will say that I really like the rest of the draft.

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not saying they are, just that they sound terrible. Without any deep exploration into them, you see that they weren't in the Baseball America Top 200. Couple that with a general lack of confidence in the people making the decisions, and they look pretty bad at first glance. I will say that I really like the rest of the draft.

Actually our #2 pick is in baseball America Top 200 sounds like somebody didn't do their homework....

Jason Taylor, OF/INF
* Member of 2005 USA Junior National Team
* Ranked as the #61 player in the nation by Baseball America
* Ranked as the #93 player in the nation by Team One Baseball
* #3 ranked player in Virginia according to Baseball America
* Hit .370 as a junior
* Hit .321 and was 6-6 in stolen bases with the USA Junior National Team

I see him as our future 2B.

Reaper16
06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually our #2 pick is in baseball America Top 200 sounds like somebody didn't do their homework....

Jason Taylor, OF/INF
* Member of 2005 USA Junior National Team
* Ranked as the #61 player in the nation by Baseball America
* Ranked as the #93 player in the nation by Team One Baseball
* #3 ranked player in Virginia according to Baseball America
* Hit .370 as a junior
* Hit .321 and was 6-6 in stolen bases with the USA Junior National Team

I see him as our future 2B.
Not on the current list. Currently, he's #5 in VA and not in the top 200. Do your homework.

SnakeXJones
06-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Not on the current list. Currently, he's #5 in VA and not in the top 200. Do your homework.

I never heard about the kid plus i got the info from Royal's forum... can't be worser than Kyle Snyder. Seem HE wasn't on the list this picking is ****ing confusing ....

chief2000
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
(you need stream recorder to download this.) 25 megabytes.
mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2005/open/draft/prospects/hochevar_luke_a_350.wmv

Radar gun numbers on the hokavar video.

Anyone know what they mean ? Saw some that said 110. There are two numbers.

Hammock Parties
06-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't think you'd find that any owner in baseball works like that. He has a vested interest and should be involved when we're talking about major expenditures; what needs to change is his willingness to listen to the people who work for him. Instead of dictating, he needs to write off on the proposal.

When you hire a GM with as much hype as Moore, you just give him the budget and let him do his thing. Moore is the baseball guy with all the information and knowhow to run the team, and thats what a gm is for. Usually owners dont do anything, they let their gm do the shit, which is their job. That was a huge problem for steinbrenner in NY for so long, he got into the GMs business way too much, then he backed up realizing that he wasnt any good at it.