PDA

View Full Version : Normandy Remembers D-Day

Donger
06-06-2006, 10:51 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20060606/ap_tr_ge/france_d_day_remembrance;_ylt=AhkT408SFhlCV33Qjl4zjFys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NWZtdDlpBHNlYwMyNjgz

CAEN, France - Normandy planned to mark the 62nd anniversary of the D-Day landings that changed the course of World War II with a military ceremony Tuesday and veterans' talks to schoolchildren. The official ceremony was to take place in Asnelles-sur-Mer, part of Gold Beach, where British soldiers came ashore for the June 6, 1944 Allied landings that freed France from Nazi Germany's grip. Veterans Minister Hamlaoui Mekachera was to preside over the event, to include a concert, a military ceremony and a non-denominational service. Other smaller ceremonies were to be scattered throughout Normandy along the coast. The town of Carentan was to commemorate D-Day with a reconstructed military camp using tents and vintage French and U.S. army vehicles.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 10:57 AM
:bang:

:clap: :holdman: :bravo: :clap: :holdman: :bravo:

ct
06-06-2006, 11:11 AM
God bless our veterans!!!

dollar1
06-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Otta go home and re-watch "Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers" to re-think our freedoms and gratefullness to those that were there.

Did Desert Storm, thankfully wasn't even close to Normandy. I can't imagine.

~back under rock~

go bo
06-07-2006, 12:19 AM
the greatest generation indeed... :toast:

BWillie
06-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I can't imagine sitting in one of the boats going to shore and knowing that you are going to die. I don't think I could do it, and I don't know how they did. My hat goes off to them.

Loki
06-07-2006, 01:04 AM
i met some grizzled old paratroopers who were in the 82nd during WW2 at a ceremony they had a ft.bragg honoring them. a couple of my buddies and i took some of the more rowdy guys out for drinks @ a local t*tty bar and listened to some of their stories.
anyways to make a long strory short, they had some big trip planned to go over to europe and hit some of the spots they jumped in and kicked a$$. (apparently some of them do it every year as the euro's have ceremonies/festivals planned)
they said the worst place was france... only the older people paid them any mind, and most of the young french people gave the old dudes sh*t just for being American.
(f*ck france! :cuss: )

the best place in their opinion was holland. young and old alike treated them with the utmost respect and in some places like kings. (wtg holland! most cool.)

that was an unforgettable night. lol...
beer + shots + strippers + old & young paratroopers. :)

greg63
06-07-2006, 01:24 AM
God bless our veterans!!!

Ditto! :)

Lzen
06-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Yup. Gotta give it up for the WWII vets. I've been watching Band Of Brothers lately (only caught the first 4 episodes when it originally aired) and it really tells the stories well. At least I'm guessing that it does since I can't say for sure because I wasn't actually there. :)

Makes me wanna go hook up the old Call Of Duty: Big Red One game and smoke some Krauts. :D

BigOlChiefsfan
06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/06/dday_remembered.html

http://laughingwolf.net/archives/001085.html

Bob Dole
06-07-2006, 10:33 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20060606/ap_tr_ge/france_d_day_remembrance;_ylt=AhkT408SFhlCV33Qjl4zjFys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NWZtdDlpBHNlYwMyNjgz

CAEN, France - Normandy planned to mark the 62nd anniversary of the D-Day landings that changed the course of World War II with a military ceremony Tuesday and veterans' talks to schoolchildren. The official ceremony was to take place in Asnelles-sur-Mer, part of Gold Beach, where British soldiers came ashore for the June 6, 1944 Allied landings that freed France from Nazi Germany's grip. Veterans Minister Hamlaoui Mekachera was to preside over the event, to include a concert, a military ceremony and a non-denominational service. Other smaller ceremonies were to be scattered throughout Normandy along the coast. The town of Carentan was to commemorate D-Day with a reconstructed military camp using tents and vintage French and U.S. army vehicles.

Why is the entire article written in a tense that leaves the reader waiting for the "But..."?