PDA

View Full Version : What are your ten best childhood memories?

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Let's define childhood as pre-age 16.

Here are mine.

1. Playing football at recess at Northside Elementary School in Rogers, Arkansas. Great group of friends, and the school let us play rough.

2. Getting an electric football game for Christmas in second grade, when we lived in Springfield. (But...Bears and Giants? What were you thinking, mom and dad?)

3. Being generally recognized and constantly stroked as a kid with high academic talent, highlighted by a barnstorming tour of classes to show off my reading ability in first grade.

4. Beating a 6-on-1 situation in bombardment in 9th grade to win the game.

5. Trip to the Smithsonian when I was 12. My parents asked where I wanted to go, and I said D.C., and I was surprised that they said yes. (It was the only out-of-state vacation the family took between my ages of 6 and 18.) The Smithsonian was my Mecca.

6. Going to the air-conditioned library in the summer, wandering around for a couple of hours looking at books, and then stocking up on books, including my favorite "Freddie the Pig" series.

7. Eating salted watermelon on hot summer nights with my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents, especially at one particular house in Arkansas that we lived in.

8. Riding in the bread truck with my dad when I was 3 or 4. My mom made me a little Taystee bread shirt, complete with name patch, and I thought I was on top of the world. (Interesting note: The bread truck had no passenger seat, and my dad drove with the doors open. I would ride on top of the engine hump in the delivery truck, and it's amazing that I didn't fall out of the truck and die.)

9. Spending a week at my grandparents' house during the summer. It was quite exotic to spend the night 30 miles from home.

10. Moving. I always liked going into a new house and finding my new room. I never had any problems moving to a new town, and actually liked it.

Donger
06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
1. Snorkeling in the Med.

2. Taking apart an old washing machine when I was four.

3. Monte Carlo: my favorite place in the world.

4. Playing soccer with my older brothers.

5. First orgasm produced by a female.

6. Being used as a ice thickness measurement device by my brothers.

7. Seeing America for the first time.

8. My first dive off a 10m platform when I was five.

9. Completing a 100 mile bike ride at 10.

10. Skateboarding down hills so fast that I knew I'd die if I fell off.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 04:46 PM
1. Winning my sixth-grade spelling bee and giving the adoring crowd the vulcan salute.

2. Visting Loch Ness and looking for the monster.

3. Walking down to the corner shop in Newtonhill on chilly Saturday mornings and buying candy, comics and The Daily Times.

4. Flying over to the US from Scotland every summer.

5. Landing at KCI and seeing my relatives waving at the plane through the terminal windows.

6. Going to my first Chiefs game as a graduation present from my Uncle. Thursday, December 16, 1999. Chiefs 35, Steelers 19.

7. Seeing Star Wars Episode I at LEAST 10 times in the mall theater where I worked the summer of 1999.

8. Traveling the canals of England.

9. Seeing Mrs. Jayroe's creamy white thighs in freshman history.

10. Spiking a dead baby on the theater floor during a production of The Marriage of Bette & Boo as the doctor.

Nzoner
06-06-2006, 04:51 PM
1.Pony league all-stars,game 5 of a 5 game series and down by one run in the bottom of the 7th with a runner on 2nd and I hit the series winning home run.

2.The above team's picnic and trophy presentation,I got awarded a gold glove with my home run ball sitting in it that had been signed by the entire team.

3.Waiting anxiously as mom popped up a big bag of popcorn and dad got drinks ready for family night at the drive-in theatre.

4.Saturday night Creature Feature with Ed Muscari on the then channel 41.My parents usually went out every Saturday and my uncle would watch my lil bro and I.We'd order a large pizza right before CF started and then settle in for an evening of the classic b/w horror films.

5.3rd grade,my next door neighbor Barbara coming into my homemade tent in the backyard and playing doctor.

6.Swinging from the tree rope and splashing into the farm pond that was on my step-grandfather's farm.

7.Pony league regular season,being on a 21-3 team and then going into city tournament losing our first game(of double elimination)and coming all the back through the bracket to win the city championship.

8.One paticular day I spent with my late uncle Butch,he took me hunting for pop bottles(yeah you used to be able to cash them in for money)so I could buy my first ever 8-track tape.I was only nine but liked the name of a band called Led Zeppelin and I picked the tape IV or Zoso.

9.A family vacation with my lil bro,mom and my step-dad and his 4 kids to Hannibal,Mo to check out all the Mark Twain stuff.

10.Christmas of my 5th grade year when i got first real stereo for my own room.

Baby Lee
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Royals game I went to with my grandparents. We were down two in the bottom of the ninth. My grandpa took that opportunity to relate the tale of the rally cap. Two pitches after I turned my Royal's cap inside out and put it on my head, George Brett hit a 3 run HR.

jidar
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
nailing your mom

BucEyedPea
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Don't know if I can think of ten as my childhood was miserable. :(

I'll try though...lemme see? :hmmm:

1) First trip to Cape Cod with a great surf after a storm and body surfing the waves. Oh man! I remember that one... that was exhilarating. Was about 7 years old.

2) When I finally figured out how to draw perspective drawing a house. Boy that was exciting...the lines slant back on an angle...and it looked real!

3) First time I conquered swinging off a rope from a tree over a mild rock cliff on a lake where we visited my two aunts summer camp in NH each summer!! I was afraid of it for a long time.

4) Sleeping outside at same camp with cousins and friends after playing games, climbing trees and roofs. Boys and girls.

BucEyedPea
06-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Forgot one: Playing with my Divorce Barbie...that got all of Ken's stuff!

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Pitching a no-hitter in ten year olds with 11 K's in five innings (walked the first batter, almost hit another but it hit off of his bat and came back to me. Scored on a walk the same game, as I walked on a passed ball and sprinted around first, standard little league ruckus ensues.

2. Stephanie Smith, summer camp counselor.

3. Setting my neighbor's yard on fire with a smoke bomb, putting it out and then apologizing with my face bandaged up like Darkman.

4. Beating my dad at golf

5. Getting my dog (he died last week at the age of 16 :( )

6. Knocking down Mike Tyson in "Punchout"

7. Filming a 2 1/2 hour wrestling match that covered over 4 miles.

8. Shooting my first deer

9. Catching 32 fish one day in one of my grandparents' cattle ponds.

10. Dishing out daily group beatings to this one kid who was so hateable his beatings were encouraged by the counselors at camp.

CoMoChief
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Playing little league baseball and other competition baseball leagues. I was pretty fuggin good pitcher. When I got older I lost desire for some reason and now I look back I wish I would have continued playing. Alot of my teammates played ball in HS to only be ranked 17th in the nation at Blue Springs HS our senior season.

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 07:30 PM
2) When I finally figured out how to draw perspective drawing a house. Boy that was exciting...the lines slant back on an angle...and it looked real!

It was post-15 for me, so it's not a childhood memory, but perhaps my favorite course in all of my education was an architectural drafting course I took in my senior year of high school. We had to do a whole set of drawings for a house, including the perspective drawing, over the course of a year. I loved that course.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I had a class like that. I sucked hardcore. I could never do better than average. The teacher was always taking off for things like tiny smudges and thick lines. He was a cool teacher, though.

DJay23
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
10. Going to the drive in. I think I may be a part of the last generation when going to the drive in was a big deal.
9. Going to the old drive up Dairy Queen in Leavenworth and eating my sunday in a baseball helmet in the back of my dad's truck.
8. Fishing with my grandpa in his pond.
7. Playing basketball at the Third Street Elementary playground in Leavenworth. A lot of fun times down there.
6. Sundays at my grandparent's house when the whole family would come over for lunch. Adults shot the shit on the porch, kids played in the yard.
5. Riding my bike around the neighborhood and jumping curbs.
4. Spending the night with my cousins. My cousin Brian and I used to ogle his sister's friends who would also be spending the night. They were usually quite hot and they thought we were cute little kids.
3. Denny Matthews singing me to sleep with the call on Royals games. I had this little Knight Rider radio that I hid under my pillow and listened to the games at night.
2. Going to Arrowhead with my dad in '88 I think it was. Miserable cold and rainy day. Had Italian sausage off the grill and watched the Chiefs beat the Broncos while my dad and his friend got trashed.
1. Rubbing my well endowed 13 year old neighbor's bare titties in her basement for a good 2 hours.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
5. First orgasm produced by a female.

Kudos for being specific... many would have wondered. :p

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 07:35 PM
1. Rubbing my well endowed 13 year old neighbor's bare titties in her basement for a good 2 hours.

Details, please.

BucEyedPea
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
It was post-15 for me, so it's not a childhood memory, but perhaps my favorite course in all of my education was an architectural drafting course I took in my senior year of high school. We had to do a whole set of drawings for a house, including the perspective drawing, over the course of a year. I loved that course.
Cool Rainman. I believe I was age 10...but I was a child prodigy at drawing.

DJay23
06-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Details, please.
My sister and her brother were making out upstairs and it got her all horny, so she saw me playing in the backyard and decided she needed some lovin. There was not genital to genital contact, all though at one point she was laid out nekid and wanted me to get on top of her. I'm glad I didn't because while she had big melons, her face looked like something out of Greek mythology.

big nasty kcnut
06-06-2006, 08:05 PM
1. kissing my childhood sweetie amy for the first time
2.going to see the chief play the then houston oiler and meeting lenny the cool touching his superbowl ring
3. seeing my grandpa essex for the first time i felt a kinder spirit
4. my first rock concert duran duran at the summit in houston
5.going to class in high school and doing my barry sanders moves to avoid classmates to get to class on time
6.Reading a usa today and eating french fry at lunch on friday
7.seeing the internet the first time at school and wanting to play on it
8. using my trick plays to cut out of class cause i was so bored.
9. getting my prom pictures with the hottest girl in school
10.waking up early to watch the chiefs game.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
8. using my trick plays to cut out of class cause i was so bored.

Such as?

Psyko Tek
06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
most that come to mind are high school age

1 breaking a kids nose on a screen play I saw coming, play MLB from sophomore on

2 telling last years all state running back he was going down, and putting him there allnight

( played 8 man football in NE, so it ain't impresive, but it was fun)

3 getting my first bicycle, my dad would push and let go good luck after that

4 learning to farm on a 70 John Deer, this was in the late '70s I was using an antique then

5 Played rumpet solo from barneymiller and got first in 2 different contests

6 when I learned I could get away with anything at high school, jock with high grades, told a teacher t0 keep his f ing hands off me

7 first motorcycle at age 12 a 1970 2-stroke suzuki, mzn that had seriuos low end torque

8 lots of farming stuff mostly enjoying the ranching aspect ran a samll herd of 50 or so was Dad's hobby, but me and him had to move away for real work

9 fireflys, don't get them on the az side of the rockies hope to see some in colorado springs, but...

10 Falstaff... she was my childhood dog,small black with brown shepard, I dreamt she died before I was told.....
and I liked the puzzle lids on the beer

Psyko Tek
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=DJay23]My sister and her brother /QUOTE]

read that again...

Ya'all from arKansaw?

sorry dude it looks BAAAAAAAD

big nasty kcnut
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
If i told you they wouldn't be tricks play now would they.

ok here one i have a speech problem and i would pretend to have a session with the speech person even though she told me she wouldn't be there and get out of class and go to the library.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Born as a poor black child (okay, not black; but the only white kid in the HUD development we lived in), most of mine come from HS, when my work ethic and school smarts earned me money and scholarships:

1. Getting a dog for Christmas when I was 5 years old.
2. Earning straight "As" for the first time in fourth grade.
3. Catching what would have been a game winning homerun, as I tumbled over the left field fence, off the bat a kid who'd flunked 2 grades...during my last little league game to preserve a perfect season.
4. Winning the Jr. DAR American History contest in 7th grade.
5. Playing DE in 9th grade Football, getting a sack and picking up the fumble to "rumble" 11 yds for what would be the winning TD....in the closing minutes of a Jr. High game against our cross city rival. END of my HS athletic career too though....had to get a job. :(
6. Buying my first REAL car as a HS Sophomore....and it was much nicer, than anything our family had ever owned up until that time: a 1974 Cutlass Supreme, Canary yellow with a White "hard top," 350 with a Hurst shifter, dual/header exhaust, raised white letter BF GoodRich TA50s, white swivel bucket seats, bad ass Pioneer stereo, with 4 Jensen Triaxle IIIs. I thought I was baaaaad.....ROFL
7. Losing my virginity. And my second real girlfriend being a nymphomaniac. It's kind of a blurr. She taught me a lot.....whew.
8. Open Lunches that lasted two-three hours in HS....going to BK or Taco Villa, then to SkyBowl's arcade to play Asteroids, Missile Command, Pac Man, or Gallaga with my HS buddies. Usually we skipped fifth and/or sixth periods too. HS attendance policy was non-existent. Some of my friends use to get high then too....heh.
9. Getting a good enough score on my ACTs and my GPA, to get a full ride ROTC scholarship anywhere in the country/and Academy Appointments (and I chose ROTC at KU....:rolleyes:; too scared at the time to spread my wings, as the first in my family to ever go to college)
10. Rolling Stones 1982, "Tatoo You" FAREWELL Tour concert at Kemper Arena.....we made a weekend of it....and it was one of the best times of my life....heh.
10A. My HS graduation party....got to speak at graduation, and though I'd been dumped by my Senior year girlfriend 2 weeks before Prom, I had a couple of junior girls who did their best to make me forget about her. Hanging with my HS friends that last week, Graduation.....is still one of my fondest memories. American Graffiti strung out for a week--and really, the entire summer. Heh. It was awesome. College was even better, but that's another story....

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Sounds like Kotter went to Slut High.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Why do you say that? It's pretty simple, unless you can't relate. I hung with the "in crowd" despite having been poor; well, your inability to relate speaks for itself....but that's cool. I was fine with American Grafitti; but you probably had a great time in Revenge of the Nerds.... ;)

That was then though. Doesn't count for much for either of us, anymore.....does it? Good thing for you; too bad for me. :shrug:

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Why do you say that?

The sluts.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
The sluts.

Dude. HS girls having sex, doesn't equate (necessarily) to sluts.

Although, in one of the cases....I'd concede. But no regrets here. :shrug:

DJay23
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Kotter]
9. (and I chose ROTC at KU....[QUOTE]
Aaahh, the MSB

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Kotter]
9. (and I chose ROTC at KU....[QUOTE]
Aaahh, the MSBThat old building was still there in 2002 when I went back; but it was slated for raving, IIRC.....

What's your connection?

KC Jones
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Not in any particular order... (and I'm sticking with real childhood stuff, not the HS and college memories that make up the transition from childhood to adulthood)

1) Sunday mornings, waking up before everyone except my Dad who was reading the paper. Sneaking downstairs and crawling on my belly across the living room, under the coffee table, then 'surprising' him by jumping up in his lap. He'd then read the comics to me. I was about 17 at the time (J/K, more like 4).

2) Waking up in the middle of the night and having a cup of tea with my mom. We'd talk about our lives and the things that were important to us. This was in the 10-13 age range and she passed on when I was 13.

3) Having my dad take me to dairy queen after little league basketball games for lunch and a sundae.

4) Spending the night at my grandparents - going swimming at the pool in their apartment complex and in the mornings having a 'race' with my grandpa to see who could get dressed first. Winner got a doughnut with breakfast.

5) Playing football in the living room with my older brother. I can't remember all of the rules, but you had to be on your knees and I think as soon as you put a hand or elbow on the ground you were down. I'd get rugburns galore and stomped on, but I loved every minute of it.

6) Riding our bikes down the big hill as fast as we could with my best friend Jake.

7) Massive games of hide and seek, blind man's bluff, freeze tag, etc. with like 20+ kids in the neighborhood every night in the summer time.

8) Playing stick ball in the street in front of my house.

9) Exploring the woods near our house, wandering the trails, building tree forts, salvaging all sorts of crap that washed down the streams from the storm drains. In later years a group of us would make staves and swords from saplings and use metal trash can lids as shields. After a while we learned to make body armor by duct taping newspaper and phone books. We'd divide up and run off into the woods to beat the crap out of each other.

10) I think I'll keep this one to myself.

DJay23
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
That old building was still there in 2002 when I went back; but it was slated for raving, IIRC.....

What's your connection?
Air Force ROTC. Only there a year, '96-'97

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I almost forgot:

11. Going to summer school and meeting my dad for lunch in his car. He would bring me lunch and printouts from kansascity.com with the Chiefs training camp reports. :)

Starbux37
06-06-2006, 09:17 PM
These are mine:

10. Going to Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park every summer with all my buddies from opening to closing time.

9. Being voted Capt. of the Varsity Swim team my Senior Year in H.S.

8. Getting up at 4:00 am with my Dad and stopping at Winchell's Donuts just before we would go fishing, just him and me for the day no sisters or Mom to bug us.

7. When the neighbor girl down the street decided she needed to show me she was getting hair and letting me see it and then touch it.

6. When I broke the collar bone of the kid who tormented me all throughout Junior H.S. during a Football game. I stood over him and laughed as he cried.

5. Knocking out the front teeth of the 5th grade class bully. Whole class cheered me on as I just kept pummeling his face in fear that he might get up and do the same to me. He never bothered me again.

4. Getting my Schwinn Stingray. I was the first kid on the block to get one. That was the coolest bike ever!

3. Going over to Grandmas house and eating as much ice cream as one 4 yr old could possible put down. Still to this day can't eat ice cream without thinking about her.

2. Getting my first BJ in the back seat of an Cutlass Oldsmobile at the drive-in. Went to see The Toy with Richard Pryor, still to this day couldn't tell you anything about the movie.

1. This is my fondest memory of all though. Standing with my Mom and three sisters at the Naval Air Station in San Diego watching my Dad get off the plane after his second tour over in Viet Nam in 71. Seeing his face light up when he got to see his family and my twin sisters for the first time. This memory is truly PRICELESS.

BWillie
06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
When all of my friends in high school used to hit this horrid teacher bitch Ms. Winters in the face with spit wads until she stormed out of study hall. She could never figure out who was doin' it.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Air Force ROTC. Only there a year, '96-'97

Well, at least you weren't a "two and screw." :)

Demonpenz
06-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Man I went to a strict catholic school and we would roll around in the summer in an 89 ford tempo drinking sonic slushies and vodka. Awesome! I had some good baseball moments and football moments but they are the typical sack the qb variety. Just thinking about the freetime you had during the summer when you were young was the awesome thing. Just get out your bikes and ride until sunset

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:42 PM

1. This is my fondest memory of all though. Standing with my Mom and three sisters at the Naval Air Station in San Diego watching my Dad get off the plane after his second tour over in Viet Nam in 71. Seeing his face light up when he got to see his family and my twin sisters for the first time. This memory is truly PRICELESS.

Super COOL! :clap:

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:45 PM

Ah, come on.

Coward. ;)

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Pitching a no-hitter in ten year olds with 11 K's in five innings (walked the first batter, almost hit another but it hit off of his bat and came back to me. Scored on a walk the same game, as I walked on a passed ball and sprinted around first, standard little league ruckus ensues.

2. Stephanie Smith, summer camp counselor.

3. Setting my neighbor's yard on fire with a smoke bomb, putting it out and then apologizing with my face bandaged up like Darkman.

4. Beating my dad at golf

5. Getting my dog (he died last week at the age of 16 :( )

6. Knocking down Mike Tyson in "Punchout"

7. Filming a 2 1/2 hour wrestling match that covered over 4 miles.

8. Shooting my first deer

9. Catching 32 fish one day in one of my grandparents' cattle ponds.

10. Dishing out daily group beatings to this one kid who was so hateable his beatings were encouraged by the counselors at camp.
You know? You should pretty macho for a latent homosexual....

;)

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Don't know if I can think of ten as my childhood was miserable. :(

I'll try though...lemme see? :hmmm:

1) First trip to Cape Cod with a great surf after a storm and body surfing the waves. Oh man! I remember that one... that was exhilarating. Was about 7 years old.

3) First time I conquered swinging off a rope from a tree over a mild rock cliff on a lake where we visited my two aunts summer camp in NH each summer!! I was afraid of it for a long time.

4) Sleeping outside at same camp with cousins and friends after playing games, climbing trees and roofs. Boys and girls.

Holy shit, girl....you need some fun, some luvin', and some party friends. :p

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
10. Going to the drive in. I think I may be a part of the last generation when going to the drive in was a big deal.
9. Going to the old drive up Dairy Queen in Leavenworth and eating my sunday in a baseball helmet in the back of my dad's truck.
8. Fishing with my grandpa in his pond.
7. Playing basketball at the Third Street Elementary playground in Leavenworth. A lot of fun times down there.
6. Sundays at my grandparent's house when the whole family would come over for lunch. Adults shot the shit on the porch, kids played in the yard.
5. Riding my bike around the neighborhood and jumping curbs.
4. Spending the night with my cousins. My cousin Brian and I used to ogle his sister's friends who would also be spending the night. They were usually quite hot and they thought we were cute little kids.
3. Denny Matthews singing me to sleep with the call on Royals games. I had this little Knight Rider radio that I hid under my pillow and listened to the games at night.
2. Going to Arrowhead with my dad in '88 I think it was. Miserable cold and rainy day. Had Italian sausage off the grill and watched the Chiefs beat the Broncos while my dad and his friend got trashed.

I grew up in LV, about 10-15 years ahead of you.....a lot of those memories are mine. Including #1....heh (probably a different chick though.)

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
9) Exploring the woods near our house, wandering the trails, building tree forts, salvaging all sorts of crap that washed down the streams from the storm drains. In later years a group of us would make staves and swords from saplings and use metal trash can lids as shields. After a while we learned to make body armor by duct taping newspaper and phone books. We'd divide up and run off into the woods to beat the crap out of each other.

I'm betting that #10 involves the body of a hobo found in the course of #9.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-06-2006, 11:08 PM
8. Traveling the canals of England.

What was his first name?

Halfcan
06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't have any fond memories of childhood.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't have any fond memories of childhood.

Of course you do. The awe inspiring sensation of hearing Rush for the first time. For me personally I was 12. It changed my life forever.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2006, 12:19 AM
You know? You should pretty macho for a latent homosexual....

;)

Aww, thanks :whackit:

Mr. Kotter
06-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Aww, thanks :whackit:

ROFL

Good to see you still have a sense of humor.

You hitched yet?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2006, 12:26 AM
1 Month from tomorrow... :Lin:

Mr. Kotter
06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
1 Month from tomorrow... :Lin:

Ah, it'll be fine......marriage is grand. Most of the time... :clap:

UNLESS, you are truly getting cold feet.....:hmmm:

greg63
06-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Do we have to come up with ten?? :p

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Ah, it'll be fine......marriage is grand. Most of the time... :clap:

UNLESS, you are truly getting cold feet.....:hmmm:

No cold feet, I just want to get all of the bureaucratic processes over with (dealing with family members you never see, the Catholic Church, etc)

Hammock Parties
06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Way down yonder on the chattahoochee
It gets hotter than a hoochie coochie
We laid rubber on the georgie asphalt
We got a little crazy but we never got caught

Down by the river on a friday night
A pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
Talking ’bout cars and dreaming ’bout women
Never had a plan just a livin’ for the minute
Yeah way down yonder on the chattahoochee
Never knew how much that muddy water meant to me
But I learned how to swim and I learned who I was
A lot about livin’ and a litttle ’bout love

Well we fooged up the windows in my old chevy
I was willing but she wasn’t ready
So a settled for a burger and a grape sno-cone
Dropped her off early but I didn’t go home

luv
06-07-2006, 12:49 AM
In no particular order.....

1. The Christmas I got the 10-speed I had wanted so bad. And the hunting I had to do for it (they had me open packages that contained clues as to where the next clue was at. While I was in the back part of the house with my mom, my dad wheeled the bike in and put it by the tree.

2. When our electricity was out for at least a few days due to an ice storm. We had to go stay at my grandparents house. I always loved staying there.

3. Skating meets. I used to roller skate competitively growing up. My brother and I both did. While I hated getting up early, just the atmosphere was fun. And I made friends from all over the midwest.

4. Cardinal games. Whenever we had a skating meet in St Louis, my dad would always make the week before or after the meet our family vacation. I know there aren't many Cards fans on here, but I loved going to the games and watching Ozzie Smith.

5. Learning how to drive. That's always fun.

6. Going to Lady Bears (SMSU) Basketball games with my dad during high school. He had season tickets around the time that they made it to the Final Four in the NCAA tournament. Good times.

7. Thanksgivings at my great-grandparents house. All of my dad's cousins and their kids would be there. All of us kids would go down to the schoolyard (the only elementary school in Altamont, KS) and play basketball.

8. When I got to be the flower girl in my cousins wedding. He had a really tall friend from Australia. During the reception, he picked me up and danced me around the room.

9. Fifth grade talent show. My best friend and I lipsinched Girlfriend by Pebbles. We had a dance we did too. That's back when I was actually popular. Everyone made a big deal over us. My one moment in glory...lol.

10. Being in the girls bathroom in sixth grade when a couple of friends who I was fighting with at the time walked in. They kept acting like they wanted to fight. I told them to let me out (they basically had me cornered). They kept calling me a chicken, and asking what I was gonna do if they didn't. I shoved the girl so hard that she fell on her ass, and I walked out without saying another word. That felt good.

Bugeater
06-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Do we have to come up with ten?? :p
That's what I was thinking, I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5. My childhood wasn't exactly memorable.

Hammock Parties
06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
In no particular order.....

Don't forget about the first time you stuffed your face at Golden Corral!

Nzoner
06-07-2006, 07:15 AM

Sounds like given the opportunity GoChiefs could've been another Michael Meyers.

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Don't forget about the first time you stuffed your face at Golden Corral!

Actually, that was me.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
playing in the creek

taking care of the farm critters

vacation w/ my grandmother and grandfather

working in the garden

fall slaughter

making apple juice

giging suckerfish in the winter

going to KC over summer break

roaming the farm w/ my dog

bb gun (nuff said)

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
taking care of the farm critters

fall slaughter

These two seem like they would have conflicted a bit.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
These two seem like they would have conflicted a bit.

maybe if they were pets. and we did butchering for the whole nieghborhood.

dtebbe
06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
7. Losing my virginity. And my second real girlfriend being a nymphomaniac. It's kind of a blurr. She taught me a lot.....whew.

:BS:

If this was true it would rank higher than #7....

DT

cdcox
06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
No particular order.

1. Playing in the woods/creek in 3rd and 4th grade. Out all day, great feedom.

2. Summer vacations with cousins at the Lake of the Ozarks. Swim, waterski, boat ride, eat cookies, fish, repeat. All day for 7 days.

3. Poker nights with relatives - grown ups played cards, kids had fun.

4. Christmas. Three in particular: 1) the year my brother and I got Hot Wheels with a supercharger, and Chiefs helmets. 2) The year I got my "three speed bike, with hand breaks, a bannana seat, high handle bars, and a sissy bar." That bike was pimp. 3) Christmas of '71. Lots of relatives at the house. Radio Shack electronics kit for Christams. Chiefs on TV (dad had a huge dirctional antenna on the roof to pull the games in from Columbia). Had the Chiefs won, that would be the perfect day.

5. Seeing the Chiefs win the SB in '70. We lived in NY at the time. After the victory, mom and dad stood on the front porch banging pots and pans, dad went in the garage and honked the horn.

6. Summer camp at Oceola. And Boy Scout camping trips in general.

7. Winning the chess tournament in Jr. High. They displayed the trophy in the case in the weeks leading up to the tourney. I would spend my lunch period staring at it.

8. Visits to my Grandparents farm. Swinging on a rope out over the pigs. Building stuff out of the junk pile. Climbing in the cherry tree. Raiding the cookie jar.

9. Going quail hunting with my dad and Uncle John. Up early, dress warm, breakfast of oatmeal and toast, pack lunches, drive out, watch the dogs works, run up and down ditches all day, it was great.

10. Sledding on the big hill behind our house in NY. We'd get like 30" or more of snow and it would stay for weeks. One year all the parents in the neighborhood packed down the snow to make kind of an Olymic bobsled run.

I probably could list another 10. I had a great childhood.

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
4. Christmas. Three in particular: 1) the year my brother and I got Hot Wheels with a supercharger, and Chiefs helmets. 2) The year I got my "three speed bike, with hand breaks, a bannana seat, high handle bars, and a sissy bar." That bike was pimp. 3) Christmas of '71. Lots of relatives at the house. Radio Shack electronics kit for Christams. Chiefs on TV (dad had a huge dirctional antenna on the roof to pull the games in from Columbia). Had the Chiefs won, that would be the perfect day.

What the - one of your top memories is the day that the multi-decade curse was cast upon the Chiefs? What kind of animal are you?

BIG_DADDY
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM
1. Mini-bike for christmas at 6.
2. Riding after school till dinner.
3. 1st times doing the nasties.
4. BB gun wars
5. Shooting guns with pops.
6. Winning first tournament in martial arts.
7. Going on long motorcyle rides with pops in front of him at 5. I remember coming back to the house in my leather jacket asking mom what she made the men the eat. ROFL
8. Winning the little league championships my final year.
9. Going to Rowdy Campbell's house and meeting his mom who had been a playboy playmate. Getting the tingles and sporting my first wood that day. :)
10. Beating the ass of the two twins who were older than me and bullied me when I was younger.

Calcountry
06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Let's define childhood as pre-age 16.

Here are mine.

1. Playing football at recess at Northside Elementary School in Rogers, Arkansas. Great group of friends, and the school let us play rough.

2. Getting an electric football game for Christmas in second grade, when we lived in Springfield. (But...Bears and Giants? What were you thinking, mom and dad?)

3. Being generally recognized and constantly stroked as a kid with high academic talent, highlighted by a barnstorming tour of classes to show off my reading ability in first grade.

5. Trip to the Smithsonian when I was 12. My parents asked where I wanted to go, and I said D.C., and I was surprised that they said yes. (It was the only out-of-state vacation the family took between my ages of 6 and 18.) The Smithsonian was my Mecca.

6. Going to the air-conditioned library in the summer, wandering around for a couple of hours looking at books, and then stocking up on books, including my favorite "Freddie the Pig" series.

7. Eating salted watermelon on hot summer nights with my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents, especially at one particular house in Arkansas that we lived in.

8. Riding in the bread truck with my dad when I was 3 or 4. My mom made me a little Taystee bread shirt, complete with name patch, and I thought I was on top of the world. (Interesting note: The bread truck had no passenger seat, and my dad drove with the doors open. I would ride on top of the engine hump in the delivery truck, and it's amazing that I didn't fall out of the truck and die.)

9. Spending a week at my grandparents' house during the summer. It was quite exotic to spend the night 30 miles from home.

10. Moving. I always liked going into a new house and finding my new room. I never had any problems moving to a new town, and actually liked it.Since you are from Arkansas, you forgot the part about making out with your cousins.

cdcox
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
What the - one of your top memories is the day that the multi-decade curse was cast upon the Chiefs? What kind of animal are you?

When Yepremian's foot hit the ball, I said "Well, there's always next year." I had no idea we were launching into a 35 year curse. From my perspective at that instant, it was a good day except for a couple of missed field goals.

The other thing your missing is that Radio Shack electronic kit. It had all these resistors, capacitors, coils, and transistors mounted on a board, with little springs you used to wire the components together. Like you see here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/dantiques/35000/35312b.jpg

I loved that thing. Another thing I remember from that day is my Uncle Fitz stepping on the ear phone and breaking off the plastic piece that goes into your ear.

Moooo
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't remember my childhood at all. Which is sad cause i'm only 22...

Moooo

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
The other thing your missing is that Radio Shack electronic kit. It had all these resistors, capacitors, coils, and transistors mounted on a board, with little springs you used to wire the components together. Like you see here:

I loved that thing. Another thing I remember from that day is my Uncle Fitz stepping on the ear phone and breaking off the plastic piece that goes into your ear.

You won't believe this, but I actually owned that thing, too. In eighth grade, we had an electronics course, and I loved it. There was a Radio Shack a block from my house, and I salivated over that kit until I could save up enough money to buy it. The only thing I remember now was the siren-like sound.

To this day, I still don't know what the capacitors and the integrated circuit did.

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I always thought maybe my radio circuit was broken, because I could never get the radio to work. Did your radio work?

Donger
06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
When Yepremian's foot hit the ball, I said "Well, there's always next year." I had no idea we were launching into a 35 year curse. From my perspective at that instant, it was a good day except for a couple of missed field goals.

Oh yeah. I loved that thing. IIRC, I made a trip wire alarm system that scared the crap out of everyone in the house. That siren was loud. Then again, my brothers beat the crap out of me each time, but it was worth it.

cdcox
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I always thought maybe my radio circuit was broken, because I could never get the radio to work. Did your radio work?

Yeah.

My favorite project was the electronic organ. It used the morse code style switch as the key, and you adjusted the notes by turning a knob. I rewired that circuit to make a lie detector. I took it to Jr. High for this show and tell deal. Afterwards, a couple of the cutest girls in the class came over and were really interested in that. As I was a huge nerd and extremely shy around girls, this was a great thrill to me.

Iowanian
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
5. Knocking out the front teeth of the 5th grade class bully. Whole class cheered me on as I just kept pummeling his face in fear that he might get up and do the same to me. He never bothered me again.

Whats wrong Randy?

Daddy's gonna Kill Raaaalphy

cdcox
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
This was the actual set I had:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Radio-Shack-Science-Fair-Electronic-Project-Kit_W0QQitemZ6063175815QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2594QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dartgod
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
You won't believe this, but I actually owned that thing, too. In eighth grade, we had an electronics course, and I loved it. There was a Radio Shack a block from my house, and I salivated over that kit until I could save up enough money to buy it. The only thing I remember now was the siren-like sound.

To this day, I still don't know what the capacitors and the integrated circuit did.
I had the same thing, except we were too poor to buy the 160-in-1 kit. I got the 1-in-1 kit, which consisted of a size C battery, two wire leads and a light bulb, all enclosed in a plastic case....kind of like a flashlight.

SONOFABITCH! It WAS a flashlight!

DAMN YOU, DAD!!! :cuss:

Baby Lee
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
A 100+ member Boy Scout troop with a full gym at the church where we met made for some killer bombardment sessions.

Oh, and Buck Buck. Ever hear Bill Cosby's bit on Buck Buck? It was all that and more.