PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe vying for Chiefs' No. 3 WR job

ArrowheadHawk
06-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Thorpe vying for Chiefs' No. 3 WR job

By Eric Krupka on June 6, 2006 12:10 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | RSS
Kansas City Chiefs

At the end of minicamps, the Kansas City Chiefs believe they have found the top contender for their third wide receiver position. From scout team and practice squad to the third receiver in just a year is a real possibility for Craphonso Thorpe.

Last year's fourth-round pick has shown plenty of improvement so far. The coaching staff has liked what they've seen, and even more so, quarterback Trent Green has sung the praises of the young wideout.

"Craphonso has all the talent in the world and I've told him that...He'd be on the scout team and you look at the card and run the play on the card. He just showed tremendous athletic ability with what he could get done on the football field. It's up to him and I said you've got to get to that point to where you're not thinking," said Green.

Thorpe impressed the coaches at Kansas City Chiefs ' minicamp, showing the strength and agility to shed corners playing press coverage, and was catching the ball consistently--two things he struggled with mightily last year.

He was slowed last year because of an injured leg suffered in college. The former FSU Seminoles standout was one of the fastest players in the nation. He ran for the Seminoles' track-and-field teams, and used his speed on the football field to blow past coverage and get open. At 6-1, 188 pounds, he has the size needed to play in the NFL; it's just a matter of being prepared and producing on the field.

His right leg, which he shattered in a 2003 game against the NC State Wolfpack, seems to be fully healed now. While it's true that Thorpe returned to action only nine months after his injury, it's just now that he seems to be regaining that speed and strength in the leg. It's a testament to his character and love for the game to be able to come back that soon from such a serious injury.

Like his quarterback said, he has all the talent in the world, but needs to stop overthinking. So far this offseason, it looks as though Thorpe just might have taken that advice to heart and is displaying his talent and ability for all to see.

While there still is a long way to go, don't be surprised if No. 12 lines up as the third receiver Week One at Arrowhead Stadium against the Cincinnati Bengals . Until then, he's just going to have to continue proving himself.

Get more Craphonso Thorpe insights at RealFootball365.com

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/06/crophonso-thorpe-chiefs060606.html

HemiEd
06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
:clap: Crap is good I tell you!

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Not a whole lot to that piece. Basically, Thorpe is learning the O and may be our third WR.

Chan93lx50
06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I would luv to see one of our young WR become a Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, or T Owens (Without the attitude).

ChiefsFire
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
oh Crappppppppppppp

CoMoChief
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Crap is 97 on my Madden season. :)

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Crap gained a bunch of muscle this offseason.

Just get Dante off the field, please.

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
hopefully he'll be smelling like roses during the season, and not the perverbial turd stain left over by an irrational Green Party supporter after Ralph Nader garuntee's their shit smells like honey

Sully
06-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I'd love to see Thorpe as the number 3, or even the number 2. I think he would've been a higher pick if not for the injury, and could turn into a gem.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Good for Crap. Hows Webb looking anybody know?

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Good for Crap. Hows Webb looking anybody know?

I'd normally be happy to tell you but I'm not allowed to spam. Sorry.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd normally be happy to tell you but I'm not allowed to spam. Sorry.That's never stopped you before

KCChiefsFan88
06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Crap our WRs suck. When the likes of Samie Parker and Crap Thorpe are potentially 2 of your top 3 WR options that is sad.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Crap our WRs suck. When the likes of Samie Parker and Crap Thorpe are potentially 2 of your top 3 WR options that is sad.

:rolleyes:

God forbid we develop some wide receiver talent.

the Talking Can
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd normally be happy to tell you but I'm not allowed to spam. Sorry.

but you are allowed to cry....Nick not paying you enough?

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 08:29 PM

Most teams develop their WR talent at the #3 spot with two quality guys ahead of them...We attempt to develop normally on the inactive list while getting zero reps in practice so some old POS like Johnnie Morton is busy dropping balls and not making plays.

Still pissed we canned a young developing talent like Richard Smith for a non-productive POS way past his prime DV favorite like Salt Salt girl.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Richard Smith is a scrub. He was sent to NFLE. Between Parker, Thorpe and Webb we've got plenty of young WR talent, and you can probably throw Jeris McIntryre into that mix, too. He's at least as good as Smith.

Rausch
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Thorpe could be a really good WR for us he's just had injury problems.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm happy for craphouse. Though if I had a name like that, I would kick my own ass.

Chan93lx50
06-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Richard Smith :ZZZ:

CHENZ A!
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Crap honso is going to be the shit.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Richard Smith :ZZZ:

Go Walmart, Tyson, and Dillards!

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Richard Smith is a scrub.

And Johnnie Morton was exactly what? A couple years beyond a scrub with no upside?

Before you get done jerking off on Crap, he is less than a year removed from being waive and not picked up by anybody else as is McIntyre....If Smith is nothing more than a scrub so are they until they prove something otherwise. Speaking of Morton...fitting you bring up Parker. They seem to be related in the hands category.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 08:45 PM
And Johnnie Morton was exactly what? A couple years beyond a scrub with no upside?

Before you get done jerking off on Crap, he is less than a year removed from being waive and not picked up by anybody else as is McIntyre....If Smith is nothing more than a scrub so are they until they prove something otherwise. Speaking of Morton...fitting you bring up Parker. They seem to be related in the hands category.

Dude..Morton and Parker aren't scrubs. They can at least get in an NFL game and catch a pass. Something Big Dick Smith has never done.

I don't know why you have a sudden hard-on for Smith. It's not like the Chiefs lost out on some great talent by cutting him. You can get a Richard Smith for free every year.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Richard Smith is the greatest reciever ever and would have had 2,000 yards and 30 TD's if DV didn't like old guys!!!!1

Spicy McHaggis
06-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I think he would've been a higher pick if not for the injury.

Almost assuredly he would have been a higher pick w/o the injury. I'm glad to hear he looks good but its hard to put much weight in the fact that he's beating press coverage in hats and shorts.

Also the reciever depth chart after Kennison and Parker is going to be a dogfight and simply a case of who steps up the most this offseason. Should be interesting.

BWillie
06-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Crap gained a bunch of muscle this offseason.

He better have, he was only benching 250 last season. That is pathetic for an NFL player. I still think that injury to Thorpe at FSU really limited his athletic ability thereafter. I hope we keep Dante in there, he had a decent year last year at the #3 spot and I'd like to see him used a bit more in a different offensive scheme. When I see Crap, I think Snoop Minnis all over again.

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Dude..Morton and Parker aren't scrubs. They can at least get in an NFL game and catch a pass. Something Big Dick Smith has never done.

You talking about the same Morton that got cut by the Niners who are more desparate for WR help than any team in the league?

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
You talking about the same Morton that got cut by the Niners who are more desparate for WR help than any team in the league?

Morton is a veteran at the end of his career. Why are we even talking about him? He's not a Chief. Neither is Richard Smith. They both suck.

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Morton is a veteran at the end of his career. Why are we even talking about him? He's not a Chief. Neither is Richard Smith. They both suck.

Only because you foolishly defended him. They both might suck but the point is Smith was young, raw and had a chance to impove from sucking.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Only because you foolishly defended him. They both might suck but the point is Smith was young, raw and had a chance to impove from sucking.

Like Jeris McIntyre. We won't miss Richard Smith.

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Like Jeris McIntyre. We won't miss Richard Smith.

I have a hunch they will both catch as many NFL TD's as you and I.

Mecca
06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
My god 3 pages and no one said we screwed up letting Boerigeter and Chris Horn go.......I'm shocked. A good shocked but shocked either way.

noa
06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd like to see us play Crophono at #3 and Jeff Webb at #4 and just let Dante focus on returns.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Crap has gained muscle this offseason? Anyone got a pic?

Mecca
06-06-2006, 10:04 PM
We'll probably be carrying 6 WR's this year seeing as Gary Stills isn't around to take up an extra spot for nothing now.

CHENZ A!
06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd like to see us play Crophono at #3 and Jeff Webb at #4 and just let Dante focus on returns.

I agree, that I don't want Dante to be our #3 WR, but I don't mind him getting a few(1-3) touches a game other than returns.

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Crap has gained muscle this offseason? Anyone got a pic?

Yeah, here's a shot of him. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=54618&stc=1p

ChiefsFire
06-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, here's a shot of him. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=54618&stc=1p
why do you......

who is.....

are you........

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM

Damn, he's sexy...

morphius
06-07-2006, 07:36 AM

Of course that is almost completely ignoring the fact that Parker caught almost everything thrown his was after the injury last year, so maybe he has improved there. Of course, I know, he wasn't perfect early on, so we need to throw him out as he was obviously a waste of a draft pick.

It is interesting with this story. There was another article that was talking about the WR's and the quotes from Green on Thorpe sounded more like he needed to spend more time studying the playbook to learn the position better, and this story makes it sound like Trent is in love with having the guy at the number 3 spot.

Monkeylook4food
06-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Thorpe looks good. Our beat reporter thinks he could be our #2.

Kerberos
06-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Stop Spamming

I would put a smiley face here to show you I am just kidding but I don't want to be confused as a PUSSY for covering my ass!

morphius
06-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I believed he would be good, especially the way the Chiefs tried to hide him last season so they could try to sneak him on the practice squad. A mid rounder getting almost no playing time in preseason seems to have CP handwriting all over it.

The real question is how is he doing on his reads, which seems to be the real issue to me. I think it has been proven that if you can't make the right reads in this offense then you turn Trent into TrInt pretty damn quickly.

Monkeylook4food
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
I believed he would be good, especially the way the Chiefs tried to hide him last season so they could try to sneak him on the practice squad. A mid rounder getting almost no playing time in preseason seems to have CP handwriting all over it.
Or he was still rehabbing that injury. Who can be certain?

Brock
06-07-2006, 07:48 AM

I think I saw that report. I accidentally hooked up my UHF antenna.

Monkeylook4food
06-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Stop Spamming

I would put a smiley face here to show you I am just kidding but I don't want to be confused as a PUSSY for covering my ass!

Which was the entire point of my earlier sarcasm in this thread. You can't possibly make everybody happy.

Kerberos
06-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Which was the entire point of my earlier sarcasm in this thread. You can't possibly make everybody happy.

WURD!

Phob I don't think I am in the minorty here, but I for one enjoy getting some inside info from you as I am sure others here do as well.

But if it is making someone at the top mad then I guess we all lose because of it.

Lzen
06-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Crap is 97 on my Madden season. :)

You really need to stop playing on Rookie level. ;)

Lzen
06-07-2006, 07:58 AM

morphius
06-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Or he was still rehabbing that injury. Who can be certain?
I don't know, it didn't seem like he was missing any practice during the week.

ct
06-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Wow, people are impossible to please!

We've got 3 legit, young WR prospects, and still people bitch and moan. So much is made that beyond EK we've got nobody proven, and forget that Gonzo is option #1, Kennison is #2, and Parker is then option #3.

Our receiving personel ain't so dire, folks. If Thorpe can develop this season, and Webb by or during next season, we are in fine shape. This doesn't even mention that Gonzo and Kennison may still be here and productive next year too. Add to that we also have another young, darkhourse project in Jeris McIntyre, and a dangerous weapon in situational Dante Hall.

Personally, outside of a true stud falling in our laps in the draft next year, I think we're in good shape for the future, if not the present. If that stud rookie falls in our lap, then we are in excellent shape! This is a run 1st team anyway, so frankly, I don't see that we must have a Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, TO, etc.

morphius
06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow, people are impossible to please!

We've got 3 legit, young WR prospects, and still people bitch and moan. So much is made that beyond EK we've got nobody proven, and forget that Gonzo is option #1, Kennison is #2, and Parker is then option #3.

Our receiving personel ain't so dire, folks. If Thorpe can develop this season, and Webb by or during next season, we are in fine shape. This doesn't even mention that Gonzo and Kennison may still be here and productive next year too. Add to that we also have another young, darkhourse project in Jeris McIntyre, and a dangerous weapon in situational Dante Hall.

Personally, outside of a true stud falling in our laps in the draft next year, I think we're in good shape for the future, if not the present. If that stud rookie falls in our lap, then we are in excellent shape! This is a run 1st team anyway, so frankly, I don't see that we must have a Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, TO, etc.
That is pretty close to my feeling as well. I think we have seen what happens when we go dump money on a past pro-bowl WR and bring them to KC.

As a group we are nearly impossible to please, as so many people have wanted to build through the draft, but then don't give the players any time to develop. Hell, you could probably count on your hand how many people here didn't consider LJ a bust.

StcChief
06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Hope he turns into #2 or #3...Hall is too fragile to be a receiver. Tired of holding my breathe with him as a receiver...

Chief Faithful
06-07-2006, 10:56 AM
If Crap can prove he can do the job in preseason then I'm good with Dante becoming dedicated to the return role, but I want to see proof on the field. Dante has proved that he can do the job at #3 so I want him to retain the job until someone proves to be better.

As for Jeris he has to step up this year or take a walk.

CupidStunt
06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
3 "legit young WR prospects"? Who the hell are they and what minor league system are they in?

Samie Parker would be a solid #3 on most teams and i'd give you him; who else?