PDA

View Full Version : Former Royals player rep admits steroid use

CHENZ A!
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Grimsley always was a dick.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2473485)

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley told federal investigators he used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, according to court documents unsealed late Tuesday.

Grimsley

Thirteen agents searched Grimsley's house in Scottsdale, Ariz., for six hours Tuesday, according to Internal Revenue Service Agent Mark Lessler, who would not say what they found.

In seeking a judge's permission for the search, investigators who cracked the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid scandal said Grimsley initially cooperated in the probe. He withdrew his assistance in April, but not before he allegedly made "extensive statements" about illegal drug use, "for the purpose of performance enhancement," according to the court documents.

IRS agent Jeff Novitsky told the federal judge that investigators wanted to search the right-hander's house for "any and all records showing contact or relationship with any and all amateur or professional athletes, athletic coaches or athletic trainers" regarding illicit drug use and purchases."

According to Novitsky, Grimsley told him the names of other players he believed were using, but the names of those players were blacked out of the court records.

"I have no comment about that and no idea about that," Grimsley told The Arizona Republic on Tuesday, hours before the Diamondbacks played the Philadelphia Phillies.

Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick issued a statement late Tuesday saying, "We were first informed of this situation late this afternoon. This is a federal investigation, and as long as it is active and ongoing, we are prohibited from making any further comments."

Grimsley began his big league career with Philadelphia in 1989 and has pitched for Cleveland, California, the New York Yankees, Kansas City, Baltimore and Arizona. He has a career record of 42-58 with a 4.77 ERA.

According to court documents, Grimsley failed a league drug test in 2003. Authorities said when he was cooperating, he admitted to using human growth hormone, amphetamines and steroids.

He added that amphetamine use was prevalent in pro baseball, and that it was placed in coffee in clubhouses -- marked "leaded" or "unleaded" to indicate which pots contained the drugs -- Novitsky wrote.

The Republic reported that Latino players were cited by Grimsley in the court documents as a major source of amphetamines, as were major leaguers on California teams who could easily travel to Mexico to buy the drugs.

The newspaper reported that the affidavit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix, said that Grimsley took delivery of two kits containing human growth hormone at his home on April 19.

Word of the Grimsley investigation comes nearly two months after an Illinois-based scientist prominent in the field of sports nutritional supplements pleaded guilty to supplying the BALCO lab with the performance-enhancing drug known as "the clear."

Patrick Arnold pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids to BALCO, a steroid ring that San Francisco investigators broke up two years ago. Those same authorities are targeting Grimsley.

Arnold is scheduled to be sentenced in August and most likely will face three months in jail and three months of home detention.

A federal grand jury in San Francisco is also investigating whether San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds lied under oath about using "the clear." A separate federal grand jury is probing who leaked Bonds' testimony from the BALCO investigation to the San Francisco Chronicle.

So far, the BALCO probe has netted guilty pleas from Arnold, BALCO president Victor Conte, Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

chefsos
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
This is pure uneducated speculation, but I wonder...

Shortly after the Orioles acquired Grimsley from the Royals, he blew out his elbow. Done, right? I mean, he was 37 or 38 then. But, he had Tommy John surgery and was back on the mound in something like seven months.

:hmmm: HGH? Does that stuff even help this kind of recovery, and at his age?

jAZ
06-06-2006, 10:25 PM
:hmmm: HGH? Does that stuff even help this kind of recovery, and at his age?
HGH isn't illegal is it? Steroids are though. Sterroids help you recover faster permitting you to do more rehab work.

DaneMcCloud
06-06-2006, 10:48 PM
All I know is that guy is a POS. He always talked about "the integrity of the game" and how players shouldn't waiver in their contract demands (i.e. Damon, Beltran, etc.) because it "honored the game and those who came before". I could really care less about that crap and KNEW he had something up his sleeve.

Apparently, illegal supplements were up his sleeve. He's just another hypocritical moron, douche nozzle. I hope he goes to jail and is fined for use of illegal supplements.

Now, if only the Comissioner would do something about the steriod problem... :shake:

Demonpenz
06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
remember when a plane crashed into his house?

chefsos
06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
HGH isn't illegal is it? Steroids are though. Sterroids help you recover faster permitting you to do more rehab work.
Yeah, I understand, but my curiosity is actually more along the lines of tendon or ligament replacement surgery, and how that guy recovered from it so quickly. Not sure about the legality, in MLB or otherwise, of HGH in particular.

...Anyway, I checked some game logs and see that Grimsley did finish '04 with the O's but didn't make his first '05 appearance 'til July 15. I don't recall if he had the TJ surgery immediately after the '04 season or if he hurt the elbow throwing in the winter, but it was a pretty quick turnaround nonetheless.remember when a plane crashed into his house? Heh. I think I'm having a better year than he is.

tk13
06-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I heard his house was on steroids to recover from the damage.

Eleazar
06-06-2006, 11:11 PM
2003... so he was using when he was here in KC.

The guy pitched so many freaking innings when he was here it's a wonder his arm didn't completely fall off.

ChiefsFire
06-06-2006, 11:13 PM
2003... so he was using when he was here in KC.

The guy pitched so many freaking innings when he was here it's a wonder his arm didn't completely fall off.

that was bout the time Sweeney started growing to...

tk13
06-06-2006, 11:20 PM
He actually suffered from dead arm for a while didn't he? That's why we traded for Leskanic to play set-up man... we needed the help but Pena pretty much burned Grimsley out in the first half of 2003. He actually pitched okay up to that point.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 11:40 PM
I really want to know who is on his list of mlb players that were close aquaintances of his that took steroids... Im definitely guessing that sweeney is on that list, and a couple of other royals.

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
there is no way for hgh to be detected correct? so it is still a possibility that many athletes are still doing this...I FEEL CHEATED

bkkcoh
06-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I really want to know who is on his list of mlb players that were close aquaintances of his that took steroids... Im definitely guessing that sweeney is on that list, and a couple of other royals.

It is truly a shame that it hasn't helped thier performance. :banghead:

ROYC75
06-07-2006, 07:39 AM
IIRC, ......HGH enchancers is not illegal. It can be bought anywhere damn near. The real HGH is a shot that contributes growth.

beavis
06-07-2006, 07:39 AM
that was bout the time Sweeney started growing to...
Sweeney was always a big guy. I'm not sure what you mean by growing. I would be really suprised if Mike was using.

Predarat
06-07-2006, 08:13 AM
If that guy realld did use performance enhancing drugs, he sure as hell could have at least picked one that freaking works!

chiefqueen
06-07-2006, 08:19 AM

I wonder what evidence went down with the plane.

chiefqueen
06-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Welcome to KC, Dayton, it looks like your first headache got here before you did.

BTW, Grimsley named names, I'm sure several Royals were included.

morphius
06-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Sweeney was always a big guy. I'm not sure what you mean by growing. I would be really suprised if Mike was using.
'cause lord knows that boy don't heal quickly...

FringeNC
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Why is an IRS agent investigating Grimsley for suspected drug purchases? Scary that the IRS has special agents roaming around like this. Who is the aggrieved party here?

Just another law enforcement official trying to make a name for himself.

Eleazar
06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Welcome to KC, Dayton, it looks like your first headache got here before you did.

BTW, Grimsley named names, I'm sure several Royals were included.

People. Seriously.

This really is pretty sad. One year the Royals put a decent lineup out there, and people who follow the team think there had to be juice or a deal with the devil in play or something.

It's not like anybody was mashing 50 home runs. The 2003 Royals were just what a half-decent major league team looks like. I know this is something Royals fans under 30 years old have never seen before, but trust me on this.

If you're in a big market, you get to see lineups every year where there are multiple guys hitting around or above .300. Every year you get to see at least one guy who is a threat to steal bases. In a big market city you will see most of the lineup hit double-digit homeruns. You won't see people getting run out there like Guiel whose averages hover around .200, you won't see people playing almost every day who have almost as many strikeouts as they have appearances for the season.

Juice wasn't what helped Angel Berroa make routine plays in the field. It wasn't what was keeping Ken Harvey from swinging at pitches in the dirt every time up. Juice also didn't help Darrell May post an ERA under 4.00 that year, for Lima to come in and win like 8 games in a row, it didn't make Brian Anderson a good pitcher temporarily, it didn't make "Glass" Mike Macdougal able to stay healthy and throw strikes.

I realize, Royals fans who don't watch any other baseball teams, that it looked shocking to you, but that was just an above average major league lineup. That's what a decent offense looks like. It doesn't mean they were juicing. They just had it together for once.

chiefqueen
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
This morning Greenberg indictated scores of players' names were blacked out from legal documents he obtained & was referencing during today's Mike & Mike. IMO I have a better shot at tonight's Powerball than no Royals being named by Grimsley.

FringeNC
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
This morning Greenberg indictated scores of players' names were blacked out from legal documents he obtained & was referencing during today's Mike & Mike. IMO I have a better shot at tonight's Powerball than no Royals being named by Grimsley.

Nobody nationally cares about the Royals. They want big names. They Royals have no big names. And unless it was DeJesus, Greinke, or MacDougal, whoever it may be won't even be on the team next year.

Believe me, Dayton Moore won't be losing any sleep over this.

tk13
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I do believe Sweeney has said he didn't take steroids publicly, but he knows people who have. I'm sure there've been Royals who've taken steroids, but I'd imagine the media will be more interested in who he can rat out from those Yankees teams in the late-90's.

Plus, supposedly he received these shipments of drugs in April... this investigation is not that old, these might very well be current players in or around the Diamondbacks. It could really be anyone though, Grimsley's been so high up the ladder in the union, I'm sure he talks to lots of different players.

hawkchief
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer stoolie.

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-08-2006, 04:23 PM
If Sweeney or any of those other players were using HGH, that should be a wake up call to all minor leaguers to not use it or you will suck this bad.

ChiefsFire
06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
are you serious????

go back and look at pics from 2000 and compare to 03,04.....

the neck and the chest thickening.....with all the time hes spent on the DL with various back injuries,you think hes been able to stay on a sustained lifting regimen during those periods???

mcan
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
If Sweeney or any of those other players were using HGH, that should be a wake up call to all minor leaguers to not use it or you will suck this bad.

Sweeney has a bulged disc, which has nothing to do with steroids. That said, I'm sure that Sweeney and many many many many more around the league are using or have used steroids before.

As for HGH, from what I understand it is very expensive and doesn't really work. It can make your ears and nose grow more than it will your muscles...