View Full Version : Blacksnakes don’t believe Hochevar is dominant No. 1 pick

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
{Blacksnakes are the new AA team in St. Joseph}

6/7/2006 Email this article • Print this article
Blacksnakes don’t believe Hochevar is dominant No. 1 pick

Jeff Bartl
Asst. Sports Editor

If the Blacksnakes’ evaluations of No. 1 overall pick Luke Hochevar are correct, the Kansas City Royals will feel more heat than his 97 mile-an-hour fastball could ever bring.

Hochevar, 23, pitched for the Fort Worth Cats against St. Joe at Phil Welch Stadium on May 25, striking out nine batters in 5 2/3 innings. But the Blacksnakes touched up Hochevar for seven hits and three runs after the Cats spotted him a 5-0, second-inning lead.

“I feel like he’s got a lot to learn,” said Jake Whitesides, who singled and drove in a run off Hochevar. “If he gets his breaking ball working a bit better, he can use it more effectively. And his fastball *— right there that’s already a major-league pitch. Right now he’s kind of raw.”

Jimmy Mojica, who had three of the seven hits off Hochevar, questioned the Royals’ decision.

“He was pretty decent,” Mojica said, “but I was surprised when he was drafted first. I don’t think he’s the No. 1 pick overall.”

Mojica wasn’t the only one in a Blacksnakes uniform Tuesday night surprised by the move.

“The guy’s got great stuff, and I hope he’s a major leaguer for the rest of his life,” manager Chris Carminucci said. “But I was surprised they picked him No. 1. He’s got great stuff, but at the same time he’s got a lot to learn.”

Apparently, the Royals’ selection of Hochevar wasn’t a last-second decision. Carminucci said he received a call “a couple days ago” informing him the Royals were set on Hochevar. While Hochevar’s potential is an obvious draw, Carminucci said he might not be a major-league starter for years to come.

“If he’s going to be a starter, he’s probably a couple years away,” Carminucci said. “He can be a closer late this year or early next year. The kid can bring it.”

http://www.stjoenews-press.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=80331&SectionID=143&SubSectionID=274

keg in kc
06-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Difficult to make an evaluation based on one start, and difficult to make a comparison to the other players available in the draft without the benefit of playing against them. In the end, it wasn't a particularly strong class; the general consensus seemed to be that he was one of three or four pitchers that were just about even in terms of talent, and all had questions. There weren't any position players that looked like the next big thing.

Same as always, though, none of this talk means very much. All the picks will ultimately be judged on what they do from this point forward, not what people think they'll do. The time for speculation's over.

Nzoner
06-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Just out of curiosity Chad,have you been to a Blacksnakes game yet?

ChiTown
06-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Difficult to make an evaluation based on one start, and difficult to make a comparison to the other players available in the draft without the benefit of playing against them. In the end, it wasn't a particularly strong class; the general consensus seemed to be that he was one of three or four pitchers that were just about even in terms of talent, and all had questions. There weren't any position players that looked like the next big thing.

Same as always, though, none of this talk means very much. All the picks will ultimately be judged on what they do from this point forward, not what people think they'll do based. The time for speculation's over.

:clap:

Those comments from the coach and player were about as meaningful as some poster from this bb that watched him pitch one time. Bottom line: So what?

There were lot's of scouts and pundits that thought Hochevar was the best pitcher in the draft, even though that goes contrary to the "professional opinions" of those Indy League players/coaches.

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Just out of curiosity Chad,have you been to a Blacksnakes game yet?
the only game Ive been to was this one that Hochevar pitched in. Too bad I didnt realize he'd be the guy we'd be drafting, and didnt pay much attention to his stuff :(

shakesthecat
06-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Is it too early to starting calling the kid a bust yet?

I'd like to hear what the 9 guys he fanned in 5 2/3 had to say about him.

beavis
06-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd like to hear what the 9 guys he fanned in 5 2/3 had to say about him.
:clap:

Sure-Oz
06-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Dude hasn't even played a pro game, who gives a shit what the blackcocks think....

MVChiefFan
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, cause I'm gonna take the word of some minor league dipshsh!ts as the end all be all authority. The Rocket let up an earned run last night, so he must suck ass.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, cause I'm gonna take the word of some minor league dipshsh!ts as the end all be all authority. The Rocket let up an earned run last night, so he must suck ass.
Yeah a HR nonetheless, if I was that A ball hitter i'd be braggin, cause that probably will be the last time he faces Clemens.

FloridaMan88
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Is it too early to starting calling the kid a bust yet?

Considering the Royals recent draft history I don't think it is ever too early to consider that strong possibility.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Is he going to be a closer or a starter?

Reaper16
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
starter

Reaper16
06-07-2006, 03:48 PM
This is stupid, btw. He was only a couple of starts in after sitting out almost a year. It's not like he even had a bad outing. 3 ER in almost 6 innings isn't awful, and he was pitching in the equivalent of A ball. I don't see what the big deal is.

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
This is stupid, btw. He was only a couple of starts in after sitting out almost a year. It's not like he even had a bad outing. 3 ER in almost 6 innings isn't awful, and he was pitching in the equivalent of A ball. I don't see what the big deal is.

A ball? The Snakes are a AA team, unless you just dont think they have the talent as AA MLB affiliates...

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I think he was probably as good a choice as any other... and more signable that Miller. That makes it a pretty good pick to me.

Only time will tell. Any draft pick is basically a crapshoot.

Reaper16
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
A ball? The Snakes are a AA team, unless you just dont think they have the talent as AA MLB affiliates...
I was speaking relative to major league farm system teams, yeah. It's just a guess that that league is roughly equivalent to affiliate A ball.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds to me like if he has been going up against AA talent, he has an edge on some of the other players that were recently drafted. I don't see that as a negative in the least.

Also, thanks for the feedback, reaper.

Eleazar
06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
An A ball pitcher is giving up hits to A ball hitters. That sounds normal.

When you consider that he struck out 9 in 5 innings, and that he's not exactly been pitching a lot in the past year, I don't see anything to be worried about.

He's raw? Well, yeah. Duh.