PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Tale of Two Linebackers

ArrowheadHawk
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
GRETZ: Tale of Two Linebackers
Jun 07, 2006, 8:12:02 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

This is the story of two Chiefs linebackers.

They share the distinction of being the focal and vocal point of discontent among the fans and media when it comes to the Chiefs defense.

Funny about things like that. This year’s whipping boy is next year’s fan favorite. OK, maybe not fan favorite, but there isn’t a lot of talk anymore about how Kawika Mitchell is a bust at middle linebacker.

Now the talk is that Kendrell Bell was a major free agent bust at outside linebacker. Mitchell? Now the pundits think he might actually be able to play.

Let’s start this story with Mitchell. After the 2004 season, Mitchell was considered a good for nothing, no talent, wasted second-round draft pick. The Chiefs defense did not improve in Gunther Cunningham’s first season back as defensive coordinator and Mitchell’s play was pegged as one of the major reasons for that failure.

While the fans and media took to flogging Mitchell, so did Cunningham, but for much different reasons. They saw no talent. Cunningham saw a very physically gifted linebacker, who lacked confidence and did not seem to have a grasp of the defense.

Turns out that Cunningham had the correct evaluation, not the fans or media. Mitchell stepped forward last season and became the leader of the improved Chiefs defense. Yes, improved. Stop only at the yardage allowed and the Chiefs were among the league’s bottom defenses. But break down all the important defensive numbers and they reveal improvement last year, enough to put the Chiefs into the middle of the NFL defensive pack .

Mitchell was in the middle of that improvement and he’s continuing to raise the level of his play in this off-season.

“Kawika Mitchell has stepped up probably two times over last year’s level,” said Cunningham. “He’s got total command of everything he does out there.”

Now Bell has become the whipping post for the fans and media based on his performance last season. Maybe they should take a listen to the Chiefs defensive coordinator this time.

“The address here is One Arrowhead Drive, my office is here and I’ll be glad to bring Kendrell in and have some of those fans and media people say the things that I’ve heard said about this guy,” Cunningham said. “I want them to face him when they say those things.”

The passion in Cunningham’s replay is evidence that he believes Bell is getting a bum rap at being a bum player.

“The thing about Kendrell was he came from another system and he came off an injury and it was obviously bothering him,” Cunningham said. “The problem with him is he won’t come out of games, he won’t let the trainer know what’s happening and he doesn’t want anybody to think he’s not a tough guy.

“And it’s tough to come to a new organization and learn a new system. It’s tough for a player; it’s tough for a coach. He’s playing a new position for him at the right outside linebacker spot in a 4-3 defense, not the 3-4 that he played in Pittsburgh. People don’t want to talk about that.”

Will Kendrell Bell follow in the steps of Kawika Mitchell and elevate himself to a spot where the fans and media no longer think he’s the problem with the defense?

Listen to Gunther Cunningham.

“He’s had a really good off-season,” he said. “Kendrell understands the pressure from the fans and the media. He’s got my name tattooed on his forehead and he knows we need some big plays for him this year.

“If he doesn’t produce, I’ll be very shocked. He’s a playmaker and we are going to see those plays.”

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/06/07/gretz_tale_of_two_linebackers/

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 08:15 AM
that's good to hear. We all know he didnt live up to expectations, but I think it's fair to assume it could have been from a nagging injury and unfamiliarity with the scheme and new system. No excuses this year, he needs to get it done.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Maybe they should take a listen to the Chiefs defensive coordinator this time.

:shake:

I'll listen to Herm, but not Gun. Hell, Gun isn't even in charge of the defense this season (which is a good thing IMO). Herm has installed the Tampa cover two defense. So in a sense, Bell is going to have to learn a new scheme again this off season.

Go Fox!

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 08:21 AM

I'll listen to Herm, but not Gun. Hell, Gun isn't even in charge of the defense this season (which is a good thing IMO). Herm has installed the Tampa cover two defense. So in a sense, Bell is going to have to learn a new scheme again this off season.

Go Fox!

I think Vermeil had ahold of the reins still a little tight. I agree this is now Herm's D, but I don't see why Gunther isn't going to have more imput in what he wants to do and achieve as well. I think Gun's assessment of Kawika is very fair, and the fire he lit under his ass last year really seemed to motivate Mitchell and he seemed to play much better as a result.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I think Vermeil had ahold of the reins still a little tight. I agree this is now Herm's D, but I don't see why Gunther isn't going to have more imput in what he wants to do and achieve as well. I think Gun's assessment of Kawika is very fair, and the fire he lit under his ass last year really seemed to motivate Mitchell and he seemed to play much better as a result.

That is the job of a position coach to light the fire under one player. It is the job of the DC to light the fire under the whole defense. I have heard on local radio, that Crumrine will light the fire under the D-line, womething that needed to be done. Where was our DC? Couldn't he do that? Or did DV reign him in on that too?

You know, if Gun thinks so much of Herm and not DV, then why did he turn Herm down and come to KC in the first place. More Gun BS IMO. If this cover two doesn't work, I'll bet Gun throws Herm under the bus too.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
That is the job of a position coach to light the fire under one player. It is the job of the DC to light the fire under the whole defense. I have heard on local radio, that Crumrine will light the fire under the D-line, womething that needed to be done. Where was our DC? Couldn't he do that? Or did DV reign him in on that too?

You know, if Gun thinks so much of Herm and not DV, then why did he turn Herm down and come to KC in the first place. More Gun BS IMO. If this cover two doesn't work, I'll bet Gun throws Herm under the bus too.

The DC better have the ability to motivate every coach and player on his staff.

Chiefnj
06-07-2006, 08:39 AM
I love the way people point the finger at Vermeil now. Vermeil was reigning Gunther in? Gunther got the benefit of top draft picks, top trades, top free agents. Gun wanted to stand on the sidelines in order to communicate better and get the D players fired up and DV said fine. Now, all of a sudden DV was holding Gun back? What was DV supposed to do, go up to the booth when the defense was on the field?

I don't buy much into what Gunther says, but the guy does know linebackers and deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing them. I'm not saying it was smart to keep an injured Bell on the field all season, but Gun has a good track record with LB's.

cmh6476
06-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I love the way people point the finger at Vermeil now. Vermeil was reigning Gunther in? Gunther got the benefit of top draft picks, top trades, top free agents. Gun wanted to stand on the sidelines in order to communicate better and get the D players fired up and DV said fine. Now, all of a sudden DV was holding Gun back? What was DV supposed to do, go up to the booth when the defense was on the field?

I don't buy much into what Gunther says, but the guy does know linebackers and deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing them. I'm not saying it was smart to keep an injured Bell on the field all season, but Gun has a good track record with LB's.

Not holding his personality back, but the way he wanted to run the D. Of course that's going out on a limb, I'm just guessing. But why else did we leave Bartee out there constantly? And why the hell weren't we bumping guys off the line? :(

KingPriest2
06-07-2006, 08:50 AM

Don't read too much into it.

Also maybe when Gun got here he realized what dick was about.

kcxiv
06-07-2006, 08:52 AM

He said why he came back to KC, because he loves the fans he loves the stadium. Thats the big reason. He still had a piss poor Dline last year and the D did improve they werent top 10 or anything, but they did get better.

Dline still may suck though, but another year with gun and i would say better players, we should be in the top 15. I just hope Tamba and Allen can bring the heat.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 08:58 AM
The DC better have the ability to motivate every coach and player on his staff.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Coogs
06-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Also maybe when Gun got here he realized what dick was about.

He had to know before he got here. With all the information out there, and talk between coaches, and all the years in the league Gun had logged, he had to know what DV was like before he got here.

PunkinDrublic
06-07-2006, 09:03 AM
“The address here is One Arrowhead Drive, my office is here and I’ll be glad to bring Kendrell in and have some of those fans and media people say the things that I’ve heard said about this guy,” Cunningham said. “I want them to face him when they say those things.

If I were still in KC I'd take him up on that offer. Bell played like shit last year and deserves all the criticism that's been coming his way. I'm not buying Gunthers excuses for Bell. It wasn't just getting used to a new system, Bell whiffed on a lot of tackles and made more than his fare share of half assed attempts to bring guys down. Most notably, the NY Giants game where Tiki Barber broke a tackle for a TD and it was shown over and over again. On that play Barber was stopped, but instead of helping out on the play, Bell kind of just rolled over and barely touched Barber.

I respect Gunther for taking up for his guys but to me Bell is a FA bust until proven otherwise.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM

Tonight on the NFL Network at 8:00 PM Central time, the Giants game from last season is going to be replayed. Watch long Tiki Barber run for a TD. In fact, watch it over and over and over again. That has to be the single worst defensive play I have ever seen, starting with Bell at the point of attack.

That single play is IMO the reason Gun should be/have been run out of town. Playoffs on the line, and the player flat laid down on the play. They quit on making a tackle several times. That play wasn't about Barber being a great back, but our players not getting it done. You all can blame the players if you want. I'm blaming the coach, and that would not be DV. That would be Gun.... the guy in charge of all the defensive players.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm not buying Gunthers excuses for Bell. It wasn't just getting used to a new system, Bell whiffed on a lot of tackles and made more than his fare share of half assed attempts to bring guys down. Most notably, the NY Giants game where Tiki Barber broke a tackle for a TD and it was shown over and over again. On that play Barber was stopped, but instead of helping out on the play, Bell kind of just rolled over and barely touched Barber.

I respect Gunther for taking up for his guys but to me Bell is a FA bust until proven otherwise.

Great minds! :)

The Bad Guy
06-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Enough already.

Way to go Gunther. Way to basically deflect the blame for Kendrell on "fans or media who won't say it to his face."

Keep making those excuses that he wouldn't tell a trainer about injuries. You watch him play, you goof, if you see he is hurt, take him the hell out.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Wasn't Herms breakdown of the DB's abilities the other day so much more refreshing than "he's got my name tattooed on his forehead"?

InChiefsHeaven
06-07-2006, 09:17 AM

IIRC, Gun was requested to be on the sideline and agreed because his players asked him. DV was behind the idea because it fits his style of hands on game coaching. That showed a lack of leadership on the part of the defensive players, they didn't have anyone to step up and take a leadership role on the sidelines, so Gun had to do it. He didn't belong on the sidelines, and it showed. This year, he will be up in the booth again, and I do believe that will make a difference as well.

Gun also did not get the opportunity to pick his own assistants under DV, and that HAD to be a problem as well. I get the impression that Gun has been very frustrated for 2 seasons, and this year finally has a coach who is defensive-minded. What DC wouldn't be happier in that scenario?

KingPriest2
06-07-2006, 09:29 AM

He had to know before he got here. With all the information out there, and talk between coaches, and all the years in the league Gun had logged, he had to know what DV was like before he got here.

NOt really. Personal on hand experience .

Bob Dole
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Bob Dole was really expecting the article to be about Rich Scanlon.

Iowanian
06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Its not really like the Chiefs, or those linebackers could or should expect differently from FANS.

We're not in meetings, don't know the "football mind" of the player. We just know what we see on the field, and in some cases, on the field at Training camp or public practices. I'm glad Mitchell improved.....Its nice to see a coach do succesfully what they're paid to do once in a while...develop a player.

No one can deny that Mitchell didn't get it done his first year on the field, and noone can deny that Bell played like a fat, slow and afraid of contact last year.

Yeah Gunther, I'd tell Bell thats exactly what he looked like from this fan's seat. I'd also probably tell Gunther that Players join new teams and new schemes every year. Rookies and FAs are able to make the adjustments and produce in the new schemes every year.

I guess we'll see how Mitchell does in the new Cover II where he'll be dropping into coverage more.

ROYC75
06-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Bob Dole was really expecting the article to be about Rich Scanlon.

What a let down, heh.

I was expecting it to be Boomer ........ The trash talker that played poorly.

donkhater
06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I know Gunther stands up for his guys, and he should publicly IMO. I'm waiting for a reporter to ask him where he thinks this defense needs to improve and where they need stronger performances, because clearly this defense can do better.

sedated
06-07-2006, 10:31 AM
We're not in meetings, don't know the "football mind" of the player. We just know what we see on the field

Isn't "what's on the field" the most important thing?

what's-his-name said it best - "you play...to win...the game", not to look good in practice or in meetings

...and who is this kendrell person you all speak of?

InChiefsHeaven
06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
What a let down, heh.

I was expecting it to be Boomer ........ The trash talker that played poorly.

I didn't think he played at all...unless you mean ST. I thought he did OK for his time on the field...

PunkinDrublic
06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Tonight on the NFL Network at 8:00 PM Central time, the Giants game from last season is going to be replayed. Watch long Tiki Barber run for a TD. In fact, watch it over and over and over again. That has to be the single worst defensive play I have ever seen, starting with Bell at the point of attack.

Kendrell is invited to my apartment tonight to watch the replay of the game so I can point out what a half assed effort he put into that game.

buddha
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Eric Hicks was reigning Gunther in.

William Bartee was reigning Gunther in.

The Chiefs defense has sucked for all the obvious reasons, but the most important is that the players haven't been good enough. It's incredibly obvious, but everytime I read that it's Dick's fault that Gun couldn't do this or that, I just shake my head.

Coogs
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Gun also did not get the opportunity to pick his own assistants under DV, and that HAD to be a problem as well. I get the impression that Gun has been very frustrated for 2 seasons, and this year finally has a coach who is defensive-minded. What DC wouldn't be happier in that scenario?

Again, Gun could have went with Herm to the Jets. Instead, he chose to come to the Chiefs. He knew what he was going to get in both situations and chose here. Maybe because he didn't want to run the cover two for the Jets?

Coogs
06-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Kendrell is invited to my apartment tonight to watch the replay of the game so I can point out what a half assed effort he put into that game.

ROFL

Mr. Laz
06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
fan are stooopid ....... blah,blah,blah

KevB
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM

Exactly. Either he has no heart and wasn't interested in contact, or he was injured and shied away for that reason. I don't care which it was, or do I pretend to know.....he wasn't getting it done, period.

Back to Gun's quote.....so, according to Gun, because Kendrell could kick any of our asses in person, he shouldn't be criticized? Wow, that's a good one.

CoMoChief
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
“The address here is One Arrowhead Drive, my office is here and I’ll be glad to bring Kendrell in and have some of those fans and media people say the things that I’ve heard said about this guy,” Cunningham said. “I want them to face him when they say those things.”

I will be more than happy to do this Gun.

jettio
06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Gretz can't change the fact that Kawika Mitchell played poorly, Gunther is even saying that Mitchell did not play well. He has shown improvement, but he deserved criticism for his performance. Good for him that he has done something to resolve the doubt he created about his potential.

Not sure why Gretz wants fans to pay money to watch football but have no opinion about players when they play poorly.

As to Kendrell Bell, why did Cunningham and DV insist that he would be physically prepared to play when he obviously was not.

He looked sorry a lot last year. It is not the fans that lined up his broke-dick azz out of position. a shoulder injury is a difficult thing for a defensive player. I think CP, DV, and Cunningham get paid a little too much money to not know when a player is not recovered from an injury and not making plays at the position they have him playing.

Mitchell did suck, the games and opportunities lost are forever gone.

Bell did suck, the games and opportunities lost are forever gone.

It would be nice to see them play better, but I am getting tired of the Chiefs measuring success by how much one of their sh*tty players can improve.

How about winning some playoff games and a championship. Gretz has some damn nerve.

Can the Chiefs start measuring success by winning something, instead of measuring success by how much they can prove their fans wrong.

The sad fact is that Chiefs fans have had more faith and hope in the Chiefs in the CP era than the Chiefs have been able to deliver.

Why is this fat slob bragging about how smart his bosses are to improve players who should not have been on the field?

Oregon chief
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2474700

What do you guys think of this signing? Kid had a good year last year.

Oregon chief
06-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Chiefs reach deal with former Jets DT Reed

Oregon chief
06-07-2006, 06:14 PM
He had more tackles last year then any of our DT's. Hell probly combined.

JBucc
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2474700

What do you guys think of this signing? Kid had a good year last year.bye bye Siavii

Iowanian
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
That said....I'd like again to emphicise that its Gunther and all the other coaches JOBS to get players to improve and play in their system.

CoMoChief
06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
bye bye Siavii

That really pisses me off that we wasted a 2nd rounder on his fat ass. He sucks, and was a 2nd day draft pick. I remember I was sleeping that day and woke up with the TV on and the draft was on and I looked to see who the Chiefs picked and I threw my remote and yelled who the **** is that?

the Talking Can
06-07-2006, 06:45 PM
gunther is a god damn idiot

HemiEd
06-07-2006, 07:53 PM

Yep, and we were rid of him once! Dammit Carl! :cuss:

Lurch
06-07-2006, 09:44 PM

He may not be the magician some think he is, but he's certainly no idiot. It never ceases to amaze me how much armchair QBs and Coaches over-estimate their own knowledge of the game.....and underestimate the knowledge of those who are paid to do what many of us only dream of.

J Diddy
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM

I disagree

ChiefaRoo
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM

He's not an idiot. He simply has a very odd way of expressing himself in stressful situations. He's a hard working, aggressive guy with a pretty good defensive football mind. He's at his best when the head coach keeps an eye on him so he doesn't get corny with the guys he coaches. I don't care if he makes a dumb public comment about Bell. I don't like it when he rah rah's his players like when he was the head coach because that shite wears thin after awhile. It's time he headed back up to the pressbox too.

the Talking Can
06-08-2006, 12:19 AM
He may not be the magician some think he is, but he's certainly no idiot. It never ceases to amaze me how much armchair QBs and Coaches over-estimate their own knowledge of the game.....and underestimate the knowledge of those who are paid to do what many of us only dream of.

gunther is an idiot...the only reason he has a reputation is DT and Hasty...he played Bell even though he knew, and has admitted, Bell was a worthless piece of injured crap...this is unforgivable, but Gunther would rather blame DV then accept responsibility....he has ALWAYS blamed others, as HC and DC...

no one with an ounce of pride would have come back here after the way CP treated him...