PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey institutes high school steroid testing

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2474534

Associated Press

ROBBINSVILLE, N.J. -- New Jersey on Wednesday became the first state to institute a statewide steroid-testing policy for high school athletes.

Athletes who qualify for team or individual state championships may be randomly tested beginning this fall. Athletes who test positive for any of more than 80 banned substances -- a list that includes anabolic steroids, some diuretics and other performance-enhancing drugs -- will face a one-year loss of eligibility.

Other states have considered such a policy but none has yet enacted one, according to the Indianapolis-based National Federation of State High School Associations. Some individual schools have instituted drug testing, though few test for steroids, a federation survey found.

The executive committee of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association approved the testing program at its monthly meeting. A month earlier, the program was given preliminary approval by the association, which is the governing body for state scholastic athletics.

"I think it's a tremendous initiative for New Jersey," NJSIAA executive director Steve Timko said. "What better way to show we're concerned about the health, safety and welfare of our student-athletes?"

The NJSIAA developed the testing program in response to an order from then-Gov. Richard J. Codey in December. Codey, who serves as state Senate president, lauded the approval of the program Wednesday.

"I want to thank the NJSIAA for being a leader in this effort and carrying through our recommendations quickly and responsibly," Codey said. "As a parent, a coach and a concerned citizen, this is something I believe in, something I pushed for and something I stand firmly behind."

Basileus777
06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
What a waste of money.

chubychecker
06-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm glad to see this. I saw steroids more than once at my high school.